Blu Ray Wish Lists

Discuss Movies and Soundtracks available in different formats, including the latest releases on Blu-Ray. As per Board policy, No Bootleg Discussions please!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Blu Ray Wish Lists

Postby WaverBoy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:21 pm

As long as the AIP dubs (and Sandy Frank dubs too!) are included, I’m good. They can put the AIP TV credits on as extras. I can’t see myself wanting to watched cropped 16mm TV prints of Gamera films.

I REALLY hope an Arrow Gamera set comes to pass!
"I wondered if I, a 20th-Century man, could ever hope to die as well..."
WaverBoy
Little Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:11 pm

The amount of Blu-ray releases coming out from now till November that I'm sold on is staggering:

Megabeast Investigator Juspion, Ultra Q, Ultraman, Hellraiser, Hellbound: Hellraiser II, The Blob ('89), The Devil Rides Out, Ringu, Giant Robo: The Complete OVA Series, the Showa-era Godzilla set, and the Twin Peaks megaset (do I get the fancy special edition, or the standard release?).

Still possible more stuff could be announced for November and December. My poor wallet!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:15 pm

If there are any "Twin Peaks" fans out there (like myself), "Twin Peaks: From Z to A" is coming out in December, and it is going to be limited to 25,000 copies worldwide. The set will contain every episode and part (?) of all three seasons plus "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me", and numerous special features.

https://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/twin-peaks-from-z-to-a-collection/

Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:30 pm

^ I just mentioned that in my list of anticipated upcoming releases. It's a damn fine looking set, but as I already own the Criterion edition of Fire Walk With Me I'm wondering if I should just get the standard set with all three seasons and no extravagant packaging...
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:04 pm

I also have the Criterion "Fire Walk With Me" as well. However, my dilemma is that I have yet to purchase Season 3! :shock: They are releasing "Twin Peaks: The Television Collection" in October, which will included all three seasons, but without "Fire Walk With Me", and with less special features:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Twin-Peaks-The-Television-Collection-Blu-ray/248965/

Either that, or just purchase Season 3 by itself. I did see David Lynch at Ringo Starr's Birthday Bash in Hollywood last month. Pity I did not actually get a chance to meet him; would have loved to have picked his brain and see if there was a possibility for a Season 4. Still trying to decipher that Season 3 ending!
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:20 pm

^ I don't own any of the television episodes. The older Blu-ray series set went out of print just as I was discovering the series. The only question now is whether I want to spend $75 for just the three seasons or $150 for the super special Mega Ultra Edition box set?!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:27 am

What do I have to do to get a HD version of Terminator with the original gun sound effects? The new ones in the wrong Sara Connor scene are annoyingly weak. This is so much better.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:56 am

XvGojira wrote:What do I have to do to get a HD version of Terminator with the original gun sound effects? The new ones in the wrong Sara Connor scene are annoyingly weak. This is so much better.

That's been a bone of contention for Terminator fans for literally decades. I think the only accurate home video edition was literally the VHS tape of the film released in the 80's, which maintained the mono soundtrack. All other versions & formats have morphed the audio into a stereo mix that, while more filling & full sounding, have nonetheless botched many key sound effects. Some of the gun bites seem more like an airsoft pistol or heavy duty staple gun in these newer editions. :? It's quite vexing. Sadly, no one seems interested in addressing it. (I'm honestly kinda surprised that Cameron hasn't used this snafu as an excuse to authorized yet another specialized edition of the film... just to pad his pocketbook a little more, if nothing else.) I mean, honestly people, how hard can it be to take the original mono audio soundtrack and clean it up BUT LEAVE IT EXACTLY AS IT WAS ORIGINALLY, and simply include it as a separate accessible option in the audio set-up??? :roll:
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:03 pm

I know this has been discussed here before - and perhaps you all already knew about this - but I just stumbled across this while on Amazon (and I must say that it's about damn time!):
A smidgen of extras helps sweeten the pot but frankly this would be a day-one purchase for me, regardless. A longtime sentimental favorite.

Also this:

Now then... for the love of almighty God, would someone PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE get off their corporate duff and give us a proper remaster in hi-def of ALL OF ME????? It's one of my all-time fave Steve Martin films and yet here we are on the dawn of 2020 and that poor film is still trapped in DVD pan & scan Hell!!! (and a horribly crap-looking DVD at that! For shame!!!)

Oh yeah, and this caught my eye, too:
Gonna get this too. I'll probably wait for the price to come down or buy used, but I'll get it eventually. Watched these in endless rotation on Detroit's Channel 7 Sunday Morning Movie as a kid.
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:47 pm

Jinzo Ningen wrote: Some of the gun bites seem more like an airsoft pistol or heavy duty staple gun in these newer editions. :? It's quite vexing. Sadly, no one seems interested in addressing it. (I'm honestly kinda surprised that Cameron hasn't used this snafu as an excuse to authorized yet another specialized edition of the film... just to pad his pocketbook a little more, if nothing else.) I mean, honestly people, how hard can it be to take the original mono audio soundtrack and clean it up BUT LEAVE IT EXACTLY AS IT WAS ORIGINALLY, and simply include it as a separate accessible option in the audio set-up??? :roll:

If the new Terminator is a success (kind of doubting it myself), maybe JC could pry himself away from the ThunderSmurfs sequels to address that, and maybe even release blu-rays of The Abyss and True Lies.

But to me I just question how in the hell it happened in the first place. Were the original guns sounds not surround enough? Did they not have access to the sound effects library that had them? Even if both of those were happened, why go with such weaker sounds? You'd think sound engineers would know and understand things like that and if they had to replace the effects they'd try to replace them with something with a similar feel.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:00 pm

According to Blu-ray.com:

I remember a time, back in the days of laserdisc, when everyone complained about The Terminator's mono track, which had almost no bass extension and, obviously, nothing by way of surround activity. (Cameron said at the time that he chose to allocate most of his budget to visual effects and spend less on sound.) After the success of Terminator 2, everyone hoped Cameron would oversee a remix of the original film's soundtrack.

How times have changed. Now the chief complaint is the omission of the original soundtrack from current editions of The Terminator in favor of the remixed version that Cameron did eventually prepare. This remastered Blu-ray will not eliminate that complaint, as it features only the remixed soundtrack in lossless DTS-HD MA 5.1. The previous disc from 2006 offered the same track in PCM. The remixed track still sounds quite good, with deep bass extension, distinct split surround activity, clear and intelligible dialogue, and a musically pleasing reproduction of Brad Fiedel's score that is especially effective when the main theme switches from electronic instrumentals to piano for the Sarah/Reese love story. Those wishing for the original mono will have to make do, but as "making do" goes, this is hardly roughing it.

I almost always refuse to buy any release that doesn't offer the original audio mix(es) (one exception was, unfortunately, Kraken's ROG). To me, those should be as sacrosanct as the original aspect ratio. I don't care if you offer additional 5.1 or 7.1 or whatever mixes but please for the love of god include the original mix.
H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:09 pm

The 2004 Hellboy is getting a 4K release the same day as Ultra Q and Ultraman. Not sure if I'll pick it up right away or not. I do have a nice amount of Amazon money I could use but I think I'll save that for the Showa Godzilla boxset.
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:32 pm

^ I'm very interested in the new 4k release of Hellboy. I don't have a 4K player and I don't really plan on upgrading soon, but past Blu-ray releases of the movie have only included the director's cut. Both the 4K and regular Blu-ray discs in this release will include both the theatrical and director's cut!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:13 pm

I had been waiting for this a long time! (practically since the beginning of time! :mrgreen: ). Not only will this be a 4K restoration of the original Czech version, but it will now also include the English-dubbed edition as well! Sources say that this is region free. Since this is coming from Europe, we shall see what will ultimately be in the final specs (and perhaps, it is darn time I buy a region free blu-ray player!).

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=25678
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:40 pm

Fans of 80's classic animation may be thrilled by this. These pre-orders have been up for a while, but evidently Universal Pictures Home Entertainment picked up a couple very big licences recently;

Coming September 24th:
This is all 142 episodes of the classic series (72 Lion Force and 52 Vehicle Force), there will also be individual releases for each series around the same time
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TL ... QYBF9YEM2S

Coming October 1st
This is all 130 episodes of the classic series
https://www.amazon.com/He-Man-Masters-U ... 8FWQWMMS6C

All 93 episodes of the classic series
https://www.amazon.com/She-Ra-Princess- ... AGE4EAJ7EK

This is certainly not the first time these have been offered on DVD, but it has been a while. While Most of the bonus content will no doubt be from previous releases, there is a TON of it, including the extra films and specials associated with each series. I'll not be double dipping, but this is a nice, fairly inexpensive way to own these collections if you missed out the first couple of times.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:10 pm

Gwangi wrote:Image

I had been waiting for this a long time! (practically since the beginning of time! :mrgreen: ). Not only will this be a 4K restoration of the original Czech version, but it will now also include the English-dubbed edition as well! Sources say that this is region free. Since this is coming from Europe, we shall see what will ultimately be in the final specs (and perhaps, it is darn time I buy a region free blu-ray player!).

Whoa. If it's region free I'll get this: loved seeing the trailer in Fantastic Dinosaurs of the Movies as a kid!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby tbeasley » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:28 pm

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has officially announced that it will release on 4K Blu-ray Guillermo del Toro's Hellboy (2004). The release will be available for purchase on October 15.

Synopsis: From visionary writer/director Guillermo del Toro (The Shape of Water, Pacific Rim) comes HELLBOY, a supernatural action adventure based on Mike Mignola's popular Dark Horse Comics series of the same name. Born in the flames of hell and brought to Earth as an infant to perpetrate evil, Hellboy (Ron Perlman) was rescued from sinister forces by the benevolent Dr. Broom (John Hurt), who raised him to be a hero. In Dr. Broom's secret Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defense, Hellboy creates an unlikely family consisting of the telepathic "Mer-Man" Abe Sapien (Doug Jones) and Liz Sherman (Selma Blair), the woman he loves who can control fire. Hidden from the very society that they protect, they stand as the key line of defense against an evil madman who seeks to reclaim Hellboy to the dark side and use his powers to destroy mankind.

4K BLU-RAY TECHNICAL SPECS AND SPECIAL FEATURES; •BRAND NEW 4K REMASTERS OF THE DIRECTOR'S CUT AND THEATRICAL VERSION OF THE FILM
•EXCLUSIVE DOLBY ATMOS TRACK FOR BOTH VERSIONS
•ALL-NEW: Introduction by Guillermo del Toro
•ALL-NEW "To Hell and Back" Retrospective Featurette
•Three Audio Commentaries Featuring Director Guillermo del Toro, Creator Mike Mignola and the Cast
• "The Seeds of Creation" Documentary
•Theatrical Trailers
BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES: •REMASTERED THEATRICAL VERSION OF THE FILM
• Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary
• Makeup and Lighting Tests with Commentary
• VFX How To's
• A Quick Guide to Understanding Comics with Scott McCloud
• "Right Hand of Doom" Set Visits and Factoids
• Q&A Archive: Comic-Con 2002
• Mike Mignola Pre-Production Art
• Animatics
• Board-A-Matics
• Multi-Angle Storyboard Comparisons
• TV Spots
• Photo Galleries
• AND MORE

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=25553

Just in time for Halloween, Guillermo del Toro‘s fantasy masterpiece Pan’s Labyrinth is coming to 4K Ultra HD! Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will release the film on October 1.

In the 2006 film, following a bloody civil war, young Ofelia (Ivana Baquero) enters a world of unimaginable cruelty when she moves in with her new stepfather, a tyrannical military officer. Armed with only her imagination, Ofelia discovers a mysterious labyrinth and meets a faun who sets her on a path to saving herself and her ailing mother.

But soon, the lines between fantasy and reality begin to blur, and before Ofelia can turn back, she finds herself at the center of a ferocious battle between good and evil.

Previously released special features include:
•Audio commentary by Guillermo del Toro
•Video prologue by Guillermo del Toro
•The Power of Myth
•The Faun and the Fairies
•The Color and the Shape
•The Director’s Notebook

https://bloody-disgusting.com/home-vide ... d-october/

Hellboy might be the first 4K I pick up but seeing as I have the Criterion GDT set (Cronos, Devil's Backbone, Pan's)…
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.
tbeasley
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:01 am

Kino Lorber announced Konga will be coming out in December on BD earlier this week.
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:12 am

^^ I'm good with my Criterion of Pan's Labyrinth, but the 4K release of Hellboy is a must-buy because it's going to contain, for the first time, the theatrical cut in HD. The previous Blu-ray only had the director's cut!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:15 pm

Gadzooks!!! One of my very favorite dinosaur movies that I only discovered late in life. (Seriously, if I had found this as a kid it would've been numero uno for sure.) Now fully restored, region-free AND hi-def, too!?!? This is shaping up to be one amazingly awesome (and bank account bludgeoning) years for great things coming to home video that I can remember in some time! Woop!!!!

Day one purchase for me, guaranteed. I'm almost more excited for this than the upcoming Godzilla & Ultraman sets! Thanks for the heads-up, Gwangi! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:38 am

Ooooh, apparently Kim Newman let it slip that Arrow Video is releasing Daiei's two Invisible Man films. Now there's a piece of tokusatsu history!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:03 pm

O.Supreme wrote:Fans of 80's classic animation may be thrilled by this. These pre-orders have been up for a while, but evidently Universal Pictures Home Entertainment picked up a couple very big licences recently;

Coming September 24th:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SY445_.jpg
This is all 142 episodes of the classic series (72 Lion Force and 52 Vehicle Force), there will also be individual releases for each series around the same time
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TL ... QYBF9YEM2S

Coming October 1st
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SX342_.jpg
This is all 130 episodes of the classic series
https://www.amazon.com/He-Man-Masters-U ... 8FWQWMMS6C

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SX342_.jpg
All 93 episodes of the classic series
https://www.amazon.com/She-Ra-Princess- ... AGE4EAJ7EK

This is certainly not the first time these have been offered on DVD, but it has been a while. While Most of the bonus content will no doubt be from previous releases, there is a TON of it, including the extra films and specials associated with each series. I'll not be double dipping, but this is a nice, fairly inexpensive way to own these collections if you missed out the first couple of times.

I was looking at the thread for these over on Blu-Ray.com's forums and it was pointed out that Universal actually created (and acquired) new extras for the He-Man and She-Ra sets (both releases have identical extras). I had initially assumed that the extras were a direct port of some of the BCI Eclipse releases, and part of the extras are undoubtedly a new look at previously seen material.

The biggest special feature is The Power of Grayskull: The Definitive History of He-Man and the Master of the Universe -- this is a feature length documentary formerly only available for streaming or digital purchase. Initially I was going to pass on these sets, but I'll be picking up the He-Man one at some point because of the documentary (I already have BCI's releases except for S2V1, and won't need both He-Man and She-Ra with the extras the same).

Also, Universal has apparently included subtitles for the He-man, She-Ra, and Voltron releases, something the prior BCI Eclipse releases (He-Man & She-Ra) and Voltron (Media Blasters) did not have.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:43 am

^That's cool about the documentary. It's on Netflix and I've watched it multiple times. Not enough draw for me to get the whole set over again, but still cool. I'll have to check on the subtitles. I know Voltron doesn't have any, but for some reason I thought He-Man/She-Ra did.... I'd definitely pay to get a release of that doc by itself, but understandably that's not likely.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:07 pm

Gwangi wrote:Well, another Universal title (though released by Paramount), is getting its blu-ray release apparently soon from Kino Lorber - Dr. Cyclops! :D

https://www.facebook.com/KinoLorberStudioClassics/photos/a.683404775049766/2109276042462625/?type=3&theater

After much delay, "Dr Cyclops" is finally making it blu-ray debut come January 7th, 2020.

https://www.facebook.com/KinoLorberStudioClassics/photos/a.683404775049766/2586590728064485/?type=3&theater

The cover is rather odd. Almost makes it look like he has a female accomplice:

Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:05 am

Got this a couple of days ago and finally had a chance last night to sit and watch the film(s) and pour through the slim but interesting supplements. This is a GREAT hi-def release. Worth every penny. As a life-long dino fan, seeing this restored in both its original version and the U.S. reconstruction is amazing. The copy I had was a DVD-r cloned from an old dupe of the Goodtimes EP-mode VHS. So, in other words... pretty crappy. But even in that skunky copy you could tell there was something magical about the movie. And what a treat to see it now! Like watching it before & after cataract surgery. Seriously. The film technicians who restored it did a terrific job. There's a brief restoration segment in the extras that highlights the extensive work done and shows practical before/after comparisons. Simply amazing. I cannot recommend this Blu-ray enough. Best purchase I've made in a looong time. A full 5 STAR release! :mrgreen:
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Daikaiju Home Media Releases