GODZILLA vs. KONG (March 13, 2020)

This is the place to discuss Legendary Pictures' Godzilla film and upcoming sequels, as well as Kong: Skull Island and the upcoming Godzilla vs. Kong!! Let everyone know what you think and discuss your thoughts and ideas about the upcoming films!!!!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: GODZILLA vs. KONG (March 13, 2020)

Postby msweets13 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:42 pm

Well, with KotM's critical and financial failure (and I loved it, but let's be honest, it was a dud for Warner Brothers) I would almost be surprised that it didn't move. This may be for the best. Do some reshoots and for the love of Pete, cut unnecessary characters and maybe write some dialogue that actually sounds human. Again, I love KOTM but man that movie could've used a good script doctor.
msweets13
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:44 pm

The big danger with extensive post-production retooling is that it inevitably makes a film's budget much bigger than initially intended, which is doubly dangerous for a movie that already faces an uphill battle for profitability. That's what sent Justice League's budget soaring north of $300m and rendered its $657m worldwide box office unprofitable. I really hope WB doesn't pull another case of self-sabotage with Godzilla vs. Kong when the box office results are likely to be the same either way.

Deadline, 06/08/2019:
Warner Bros. Bosses Toby Emmerich & Peter Roth On Studio Post Kevin Tsujihara In Streaming Era, Disney/Fox & Potential ‘Godzilla vs. Kong’ Move
Anthony D'Alessandro wrote:As far as franchise fatigue with Legendary’s Godzilla: King of the Monsters tanking, Emmerich said that next year’s monster movie Godzilla vs. Kong “will deliver for fans in the way they were looking for” in the latest Godzilla. “It might come out later in the year, so we can deliver an A+ movie” said Emmerich.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:54 pm

Maybe the reshoots are to give the movie a downer ending to put the cap on the Cinematic Universe? I know that if I was making a Godzilla movie and partway through production the studio told me it was the last one in this series my hand would quickly find itself hovering above the 'blow up the world' button!

:mrgreen:
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gentleman » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:58 am

We all, myself included, have been talking about the end of the Monsterverse, but come to think about it, maybe it doesn't have to be. Legendary might be losing the rights to Godzilla, but don't they still have Kong? Is there a chance for more Kong Vs films down the road?
I'm not a hero. I'm not a savior. Forget what you know.

I'm just a man whose circumstances went beyond his control.
Gentleman
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Gwangi » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:26 pm

Gentleman wrote:We all, myself included, have been talking about the end of the Monsterverse, but come to think about it, maybe it doesn't have to be. Legendary might be losing the rights to Godzilla, but don't they still have Kong? Is there a chance for more Kong Vs films down the road?

My gut instinct says that Kong was the one who would be perishing in this film, solely because it would pack more of an emotional punch for the general movie audience than for Godzilla. Of course, it could be vice-versa, or both survive or both die.

With the subject of supposed re-shoots, I don't know what Legendary has in mind. Seeing how G:KOTM has done financially, do they bring back Charles Dance and perhaps end his story arc? Or will they continue on with other monsters, which does bring up a sticky legal point. Though Toho can't touch Kong, will they claim partial ownership of the other Titans, past and future?
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gentleman » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:56 pm

I really wouldn't see how, unless they had a hand in their creation or there's fine print allowing it. And even if that's the case, without Legendary paying for the rights to Godzilla all they'd have to do is cash checks from future Monsterverse films.

Gentleman
Godzilla Jr.

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:18 pm

Midnight's Edge Jun 1, 2019:
Godzilla King of The Monsters, a Franchise Retrospective

Midnight's Edge Jun 3, 2019:
Godzilla Postmortem: Repercussions of the underperformance on the Monsterverse

Midnight's Edge Jun 11, 2019:
Godzilla vs Kong Pushed Back – King of the Monsters Approaching Flop Territory
phpBB [media]
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby GFan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:00 pm

It sounds like WB just wants to find a release date with less competition. I doubt they'll want to put more money in to GvsK unless they really had to (outside of the usual re-shoots), and try to avoid a Justice League-type situation.
GFan
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:23 pm

Yeah, irregardless of weather the film is more or less warmly received by critics, a release date where it's cushioned from films serving a similar demographic by a couple of weeks on either side is the best thing that could do.

Also, kids love Godzilla. Try to market more aggressively to children, while keeping that separate from the marketing aimed at adults.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:57 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/OMEGAGORMARU ... 6067708928

I think these guys are onto something, both in decrying the uselessness of expensive reshoots and thinking delaying the movie several months to December would be a good release date. Other than Steven Spielberg's West Side Story and Disney's live-action Cruella Deville movie (one of their more modest IP refreshers) there is not much there in terms of spectacle entertainment to appeal to the family audience through the Christmas and New Year's holidays. It's the same release date that Star Wars and Aquaman have reaped benefits from.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:24 pm

Mid-December 2020 does seem like a great spot for GvK, especially if the major competition is just WEST SIDE STORY and CRUELLA DEVILLE. WWS and CD are different enough from GvK that they shouldn't overlap their audience pools very much.

Right now, I think every movie releasing in the month or so after (even a month before) AVENGERS: END GAME is has done lower than it might have because END GAME has raked in so much potential box office. END GAME was always going to be big, and has been huge box office draw -- but movie trips have become increasingly expensive with an average $9 and change per ticket in the US before any concession purchases (which can easily double a trip's cost). And with real people considering their budgets a second or more time watching END GAME meant not watching SHAZAM, GODZILLA:KOTM, MIB: INT, DARK PHOENIX, etc. while those movies are in theaters.

Considering the lower than expected box office takes for the other movies I mentioned, I think G:KOTM has done surprisingly well against the DIsney combo of END GAME and ALADDIN.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:17 pm

Collider Mailbag:
Godzilla vs Kong is Possibly Delayed So Now What? - Mailbag
phpBB [media]

lhb412 wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/OMEGAGORMARU/status/1140629796067708928

I think these guys are onto something, both in decrying the uselessness of expensive reshoots and thinking delaying the movie several months to December would be a good release date. Other than Steven Spielberg's West Side Story and Disney's live-action Cruella Deville movie (one of their more modest IP refreshers) there is not much there in terms of spectacle entertainment to appeal to the family audience through the Christmas and New Year's holidays. It's the same release date that Star Wars and Aquaman have reaped benefits from.

THR 6/17/2019:
CineEurope: Warner Bros. Offers Glimpses of 'Joker,' 'Wonder Woman 1984,' 'Godzilla vs Kong' and 'Birds of Prey'
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:10 pm

Keep in mind, I think PJ KK form 2005 isn't a bad film, but why in the world are so many news outlets using pics from it, when there are plenty of good pics of Kong form Skull island?
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dai » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:49 am

O.Supreme wrote:Keep in mind, I think PJ KK form 2005 isn't a bad film, but why in the world are so many news outlets using pics from it, when there are plenty of good pics of Kong form Skull island?

My guess? Laziness. They might already have copyright clearance for those old 2005 images, and are reusing those instead of bothering to get clearance for Skull Island ones.
Dai
Heisei Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:14 am

mr.negativity wrote:THR 6/17/2019:
CineEurope: Warner Bros. Offers Glimpses of 'Joker,' 'Wonder Woman 1984,' 'Godzilla vs Kong' and 'Birds of Prey'

Godzilla Movies:
New Godzilla Vs Kong Release Date Info and Footage!
New information regarding Godzilla Vs. Kong's release date has surfaced online! It turns out that the film will still be released in March of next year after all! Additionally, the film will be released two days earlier in international markets on March 11th. More exciting news regarding the upcoming MonsterVerse entry surfaced today from CineEurope, where exclusive footage from Godzilla Vs. Kong was reportedly shown. With the release date staying the same and footage from the film already being shown, don't be surprised if the official first look comes out sooner rather than later.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby gyaos » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:14 am

Here are some rumors floating around....SPOILERS....

Spoiler Below:
Human stuff:

>Madison and Mark Russell now live in California, Madison now suffers from minor PSTD and Mark has taken over Dr. Serizawa's spot as "The Godzilla guy".
>G-Team is now a full force and military backed group that deal with Titans, each G-Team group is classed by which Titan type their team specializes in dealing with (Lessor, Major and Apex, movie follows Apex group).
>Main human villains are Ren Serizawa, the son of Dr. Serizawa and Demián Bichir's character, a wealthy man whom is wanting revenge on the Titans after what happened to his family in Mexico.
>Most the Human story focuses on the Skull Island and Monarch travelling into the entrance of the Hollow Earth.
>Ren Serizawa was the one who helped the US military create the Oxygen Destoryer and vows to kill the Titans as they "Consumed" his father's life, his main target is Godzilla.

Monster Stuff:

>Main Monsters: Godzilla, Kong and Mechagodzilla.
>Kong has several battles with other Titans.
>Godzilla and Kong fight three times.

>Mechagodzilla is different but you can tell it's MG(Did my best to draw the concept art on top of reference pics), it can use it's tail as a "flexible" third leg.
>MG has a similar device to the ORCA built in to mimic a "Alpha signal", this is the reason the Other Titans and Godzilla travel to Skull Island.
>MG has several built in Plasma and ballistic based weapons, but it's ultimate weapon is a "Freon cannon".

>No Mothra.
>No Ghidorah head.
>Behemoth is the new Anguirus, aka Godzilla's "sidekick".
>Rodan lives, but put into a hibernation state after being hit by MG's Freon cannon.
>Skull Island is completely swallowed into the Hollow Earth by the end of the film, leaving Kong homeless and to wander the world.

Los Angeles:
Godzilla and Kong's first battle, ends with a Sea battle and the destruction of several ships and a aircraft carrier.

Hong Kong:
Godzilla and Kong completely trash the city, Kong uses a Ferris wheel as a weapon and bends the metal around Godzilla's head. Kong is badly beaten here.

Skull Island:
Godzilla and Kong final fight, Godzilla wins, but their feud ends when both finally realize that neither are going to stop fighting. Godzilla and Kong stares each other down, both bloody, damaged and tired.

Basically Kong can't kill Godzilla, but he holds enough of his ground to show Godzilla that killing him isn't worth it, then both fight Mechagodzilla.
Ending result:
Godzilla and the destroyed MG are swallowed in with Skull Island at the end of the film. The whole damn Island sinks into the sea, aka the Hollow Earth, and Godzilla is dragged in with the pressure.

Kong is left homeless and travels the world.
gyaos
Baby Godzilla

Postby Outkaster » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:53 pm

That would actually be pretty cool.
Joined in 2001.
Outkaster
Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:13 pm

This better than that other garbage rumor floating around.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby Gentleman » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:28 pm

Sort of fits in with my hope that the Monsterverse will continue,
Spoiler Below:
with Kong taking over the lead role from Godzilla. I'd be down with some "Kong Vs" movies.

Gentleman
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Benjamin Haines » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:44 am

gyaos wrote:Here are some rumors floating around....SPOILERS....

Spoiler Below:
Human stuff:

>Madison and Mark Russell now live in California, Madison now suffers from minor PSTD and Mark has taken over Dr. Serizawa's spot as "The Godzilla guy".
>G-Team is now a full force and military backed group that deal with Titans, each G-Team group is classed by which Titan type their team specializes in dealing with (Lessor, Major and Apex, movie follows Apex group).
>Main human villains are Ren Serizawa, the son of Dr. Serizawa and Demián Bichir's character, a wealthy man whom is wanting revenge on the Titans after what happened to his family in Mexico.
>Most the Human story focuses on the Skull Island and Monarch travelling into the entrance of the Hollow Earth.
>Ren Serizawa was the one who helped the US military create the Oxygen Destoryer and vows to kill the Titans as they "Consumed" his father's life, his main target is Godzilla.

Monster Stuff:

>Main Monsters: Godzilla, Kong and Mechagodzilla.
>Kong has several battles with other Titans.
>Godzilla and Kong fight three times.

>Mechagodzilla is different but you can tell it's MG(Did my best to draw the concept art on top of reference pics), it can use it's tail as a "flexible" third leg.
>MG has a similar device to the ORCA built in to mimic a "Alpha signal", this is the reason the Other Titans and Godzilla travel to Skull Island.
>MG has several built in Plasma and ballistic based weapons, but it's ultimate weapon is a "Freon cannon".

>No Mothra.
>No Ghidorah head.
>Behemoth is the new Anguirus, aka Godzilla's "sidekick".
>Rodan lives, but put into a hibernation state after being hit by MG's Freon cannon.
>Skull Island is completely swallowed into the Hollow Earth by the end of the film, leaving Kong homeless and to wander the world.

Los Angeles:
Godzilla and Kong's first battle, ends with a Sea battle and the destruction of several ships and a aircraft carrier.

Hong Kong:
Godzilla and Kong completely trash the city, Kong uses a Ferris wheel as a weapon and bends the metal around Godzilla's head. Kong is badly beaten here.

Skull Island:
Godzilla and Kong final fight, Godzilla wins, but their feud ends when both finally realize that neither are going to stop fighting. Godzilla and Kong stares each other down, both bloody, damaged and tired.

Basically Kong can't kill Godzilla, but he holds enough of his ground to show Godzilla that killing him isn't worth it, then both fight Mechagodzilla.
Ending result:
Godzilla and the destroyed MG are swallowed in with Skull Island at the end of the film. The whole damn Island sinks into the sea, aka the Hollow Earth, and Godzilla is dragged in with the pressure.

Kong is left homeless and travels the world.

None of that sounds far-fetched for a follow-up to Kong: Skull Island and Godzilla: King of the Monsters.

That said, the person who posted that also said that Lance Reddick's role in the film would be the older version of Dr. Brooks, Corey Hawkins' character from Skull Island. Joe Morton just played the older version of that character in King of the Monsters so it's very unlikely that Legendary would turn around and recast the role with an actor 15 years younger for Godzilla vs. Kong.

The person who posted that was probably just making stuff up.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:52 am

^ Couldn't have said it better myself.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby gfan1984 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:02 am

I don't put much stock in rumors, and the ending for that rumor, sounds like a total copout. Like I have been saying the ending really depends on what happens behind the scenes. We know the agreement on the Toho license, we aren't sure about Kong. Now if there is any news about a license extention or new deal then that maybe a key to the actual ending. If not, my bet is that both Kong and Godzilla will perish, or the ending will be one of those "left for interpretation" style ending. Just prey they don't go all "subverting expectations" on us. That seems to be a trend now with established properties i.e. Star Wars, Game Of Thrones.
gfan1984
Little Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:45 pm

Screen Rant:
When Will The Godzilla vs Kong Trailer Release?
ALLIE GEMMILL wrote:Luckily, because it's slated for release on March 13, 2020, the trailer for Godzilla vs. Kong should be coming soon. "Soon" likely won't mean a debut at San Diego Comic-Con 2019 since Warner Bros., the studio behind Godzilla vs. Kong, won't have a panel in Hall H. Based on this, the best guess for when the Godzilla vs. Kong trailer will be released is in Fall 2019 during a film in a similar genre. Two big fall releases which are timed to release about five to six months before Godzilla vs. Kong are Joker, out October 4, and Terminator: Dark Fate, which debuts November 1. It's likely one of these films could serve as the vehicle for the trailer premiere, with the trailer soon finding its way to other platforms (television, social media, and so forth) to help build interest.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:53 pm

Thankfully we have the internet now, so we dont have to go see awful movies, in *hopes* we might see a good trailer :wink:
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:18 am

Toho Breaks Silence on Godzilla vs. Kong
https://comicbook.com/anime/2019/07/28/ ... s-silence/
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Legendary's MonsterVerse