[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Tom & Jerry • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Tom & Jerry

From Scooby Doo to Adult Swim, from Johnny Quest to Samurai Jack; discuss cartoons and animation here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Tom & Jerry

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:59 pm

I know we've had a couple of threads about the unfortunate state of the original Cat & Mouse duo that inspired so many imitations and sequels, but somehow , we don't have a thread dedicated to the original shots themselves. I know in this day and age, some content is problematic, but like the Looney Tunes Golden Collection, just put a skippable PSA on the disc. Though they were originally way before my time, I grew up fondly watching many of their iterations in syndication. Originally When the *Golden Collection* came out, I thought...hey that would be neat, sometime, wouldn't make it a high priority.

So....I really blew it on this one, one of those *hindsight*, and oh boy, what a mess this is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_and_J ... Collection

The Bluray of volume 1 is extremely scarce (not on Amazon at all), and copies on eBay can range in excess of $100 dollars... On the other hand, i can get the regular DVD at my local walmart for $10, I guess I'm going to have to settle for that, its a shame what has happened overall...
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Re: Tom & Jerry

Postby The Shadow » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:55 am

I didn't know that the Golden Collection Vol. 1 was showing up in stores again, thanks for posting about it -- I picked up a copy of the DVD on Tuesday. I really wish I'd picked up the T&J Golden Collection Vol. 1 on Blu-Ray years ago, and I don't feel like spending an arm and a leg for the blu-ray so I be fine with the DVD. And $10 is an awesome price for the first 37 Tom & Jerry cartoons (Amazon lists the DVD at $20).

I wonder if these releases of the Golden Collection Vol. 1 are a new printing? The original release was eight years ago, and the slipcover on my copy is looking mighty nice if it has been sitting in a warehouse all this time. If these DVD copies of Vol. 1 are a new print run, perhaps good sales will convince Warner Home Video to re-release Vol. 1 on blu-ray again; I'd gladly re-buy the set on blu-ray. And just maybe good sales will get the ball rolling on Vol. 2 as well, hopefully complete as the set was originally intended.

I noticed that Wal-Mart also had the TOM AND JERRY DELUXE ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION for $10 as well -- it came out a year before the Golden Collection Vol. 1 and has 30 shorts spanning the several decades (including some of the newer ones made in the late 90s and early 00s). This set could be of interest even with the bit of overlap.

If anyone would like a complete era of Tom & Jerry, Warner Home Video also released the T&J Chuck Jones Collection around 10 years ago as well. It looks like the Chuck Jones set is readily available new on DVD for just over $18 (maybe less if one shops around).
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:37 pm

There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dai » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:14 am

The golden collection blu-ray is great. It's clear a lot of care went into it; you wouldn't believe how old some of those shorts are from how good they look. I picked it up back when it was a reasonable price, which was also around the time the debacle around volume 2 was happening. The Amazon pre-order page for volume 2 was painful to look at; I've rarely seen so much entitled whining. Thanks to that embarrassing mess of petty 1-star reviews, the well was lethally poisoned, and volume 2 was cancelled.

It should stand as a case study in what happens when fanboys have a hissy fit over the details of a niche release aimed at collectors: the company won't 'relent', they just won't think it's worth the effort of releasing the thing at all. That's why I worry every time the kaiju/toku fandom starts acting the same way, whether it's over Criterion's packaging for Godzilla '54, the 200-page thread complaining about Legendary Godzilla's feet, or the latest depressing round over the Ultraman dubs.
Dai
Heisei Godzilla

Return to I Wanna Watch Cartoons!!