TALKBACK #25: GMK

Discuss the millennium era of Godzilla films! From Godzilla 2000 Millennium to Godzilla Final Wars, these films comprised a wide variety of styles and topics!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: TALKBACK #25: GMK

Postby UltraDada72 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:40 am

Jorzilla wrote:Despite the retread use of Mothra and King Ghidorah, as time goes on I think that this film will remain a highlight of the franchise. It's an entertaining film that captures a unique segment of Japanese society with a relevant message for the time.

I'd say this will continue to be my number one recommendation for people to start with the franchise if they are interested in the character.

When I first saw it I was extremely impressed, and years later, this is still one of my favorite Godzilla films. I would've loved to have seen the original idea of having Varan and Anguirus instead of Mothra and Ghidorah, but it's still a great, memorable film.
UltraDada72
Baby Godzilla

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:51 pm

Still a very good movie with flaws, be it the pacing or the special effects. The strength out weigh the weaknesses for me. It definitely has more flair than most Godzilla movies, and an interesting take. The ending about the old man disappearing still gives me goose bumps to this day.
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla

Postby goji4ever » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:29 pm

Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:
Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! wrote:There's a very good reason for that; he's Okinawan.

So?

You really don't know?

Putting King Ceasar, who is based off a Shisa, an Okinawan deity in mainland Japan would make absolutely no sense from a narrative about creatures trying to defend the Japanese mainland.

There's a few reasons for that. Ryukan people and the Japanese don't get along and it goes back hundreds of years. When the mainland annexed Okinawa many Ryukan people were forced to live by the Japanese' rules and got treated pretty badly.

Nowadays its not that bad, but many Japanese believe that Okinawans are ethnically Japanese, glossing over many of the cultural differences in insensitive ways (Ryukan people are closer to the Chinese culturally).

did not know that... though it does help better explain why Okinawa got dealt such a crappy hand when they were handing out guardian deities...
goji4ever
Little Godzilla

Postby Outkaster » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:40 pm

This movie gets a lot of hate and it's unwarranted compared to a lot of the other films. At least it was different.
Joined in 2001.
Outkaster
Godzilla

Previous

Return to The Millennium Era: 1999-2005