[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
E3 2018 Thread • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

E3 2018 Thread

This is the forum to discuss video games, the systems they're played on, computer software games, video game related sites and magazines, and more!! If you're "wired", post it here!

Moderator: Controllers

E3 2018 Thread

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:31 am

Just watched the Microsoft press conference for E3 and overall it was a solid conference. They pretty much stuck to showing game after game after game with little to no boring talk. There wasn't anything that made me feel like I have to buy an X-Box One still, but I am looking to see what they bring in the next gaming generation now that they have acquired some promising studios for first party titles. I really would like to see them have something that can be as fun as Uncharted, The Last of Us, God of War, and Horizon for their console and I'm sure these new studios (especially Ninja Theory) can deliver on that aspect.

That's not to say there weren't good games shown for the X1 as that Ori game look pretty cool and I must admit, despite hatings POPS!, that Gears of War one looks funny. I also loved the way they introduced the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer at the tail end of the conference, which is one of the video games I am looking forward to playing the most after RDR2. Oh, and that Shonen Jump crossover fighting game looks badass. Hope it ends up being good. Being able to have Luffy beat the crap out of Goku and Naruto is going to be awesome.

Couldn't care less about Kingdom Hearts 3, but I'm surprised they didn't show off some kind of Star Wars level. Perhaps that is being saved for the Sony conference. :-p

On the other hand, another Halo, another Forza, another Gears, and more online crap like another Ubisoft sequel. YAWN! Also, Devil May Cry 5 didn't impress me at all. It also took me a moment to realize that the character on screen was actually Nero and not Dante. Too bad we are still lacking a new Onimush game, which I initially thought was going to be that samurai game they showed off until From Software poped on screen.

Anyway, like I said, they had a really solid conference despite my now being an X-Box player. I give them a nice 9/10 and I hope Sony's conference is just as good tomorrow night.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Re: E3 2018 Thread

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:47 pm

What the "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" was that Square? It was nothing but a string of trailers with little to no context or gameplay at all. Why even waste an entire "conference" on that? Hell, more than half of that stuff was shown at Microsoft's conference in better detail. Also, still no Legacy of Kain game, WTF?

Oh, and why not just call Octo Traveller Final Fantasy XVI? It's clearly Final Fantasy since it has the job classes and Amano's artwork.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:39 pm

All right, so over all I have some really mixed feelings on the Sony conference. It started out strong with some really intense footage from The Last of Us 2. So much so that I don't need to see anything else from the game, I am good. Just give me a release estimation and I'll be happy. I also loved how they had the presentation room designed like the church from the game.

Then it fell apart with the intermission thing, especially when it started showing us generic commericals and talking about Call of Duty. Oh, and I guess God of War doesn't have a New Game+? Did not know that. That seems dumb. New Game + is like a duh in 2018.

Then when the show came back from its boring ass intermission things got moving. Never heard of that Ghost of Tsushuma before. I was a little disappointed because I thought it was a new Onimusha game but the game looks pretty cool, especially the fight in front of the sunset.

The Resident Evil 2 remake floored me. On one hand, I'm super excited and that trailer was the highlight for me of the conference. YET, I'm a little hesistant because I'm expecting it to end up playing like RE6 or RE7 rather than REmake. I hope I am wrong.

Still have no "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" clue what Death Stranding is about or why everyone is cheering for a game that they know next to nothing about. That video told us nothing about what type of game it is. Is it stealth? Is it action? Is it a shooter? Is it a walking simulator? Is it just a giant QTE game? WHAT IS IT?!

Nice to see that even the conference audience was like, "WTF?" for that stupid looking game from the Rick & Morty people.

Finally, Spider-Man looks down right insane! Loved every moment they showed. So much variety in just that one chase sequence. Oh this game is going to be good.

With that said, I'm disappointed they didn't show jack "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" for Red Dead Redemption 2, Final Fantasy VII remake (meaning it is at least 5 more years away), a new Legacy of Kain game (come on people, it's been too "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" long!), a new Onimusha, or even on confirmed games like Hitman 2.

Overall, Sony's conference had some great showings, but their experiment failed. I give them a 7/10 and have to say that Microsoft had a tighter conference, which I never thought would happen. Then again, this entire thing screams, "This is the end of this gaming generation," so I geuss that is to be expected. I have no expectations for Nintendo tomorrow given how much their directs have sucked over the last few years.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:56 pm

I'm happy we finally got to see RE2. I was hoping it'd be this year but oh well January isn't too long of a wait.

As for MS conference I have mixed feelings on it. I'm not sure if it was because I was in some kind of a funk yesterday or if its because they showed off so much stuff that I felt overwhelmed by it. I was really hoping we'd get a VR for the Xbox.

All I really care about now is if Nintendo announces an Animal Crossing Switch game tomorrow and a remastered Metroid Prime trilogy.
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:00 am

I'd like a Metroid Prime 4 full length trailer, but a remastered collection would be nice.

Frankly, VR is just as much of a stupid gimmick as 3D and motion controls were.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:32 pm

OMG I need Souls of Tsushima in my life yesterday!!

The combat and sword fighting is surprisingly accurate for a video game. And it looks stunning!

Except the sound effects... Those are total bunk. Swords don't sound like heavy steel machinery shrieking or groaning. They click sharply when they hit solidly together (about 3:20 in the video below) and sound like kitchen cutlery when they rub against each other (other parts of the video).

Likewise, armor is very clicky and rattley sounding.

But this looks a more accurate portrayal of historical samurai than I had ever hoped to get in video game form and I’m just flipping ecstatic! Can not WAIT for this to come out!!
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:52 pm

Nintendo's direct was a "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" joke. 30 minutes fo a game that has been the same for the last 4 generations and then another Mario Party and more Pokemon. Whoopdifriggadoo. When I said I wanted to see some Metroid goodness, I didn't mean Smash Bros stuff. I guess I should have been more specific since Nintendo's gotta be Nintendo.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:35 am

'Death Stranding': Hideo Kojima on Taking a "Different Approach to Single-Player Games"
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:10 am

Ghosts of Tsushima I can't get into. The game looks gorgeous but it's just not piquing my interest right now.
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Return to Video Games, Systems, and More