[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Slithis (1978) • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Slithis (1978)

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Slithis (1978)

Postby Henry88 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:15 pm

a monster movie from the 70s that escaped my notice

ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Slithis (1978)

Postby mbozzo » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:54 pm

This monster hasn't only escape your notice, Henry. This monster escape everybody's notice, including mine. :oops:
mbozzo
Godzilla

Re: Slithis (1978)

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:15 pm

You guys ain't missin' much... trust me. DVD is now OOP (out of print), so if you insist on physical media you're gonna pay through the nose. Search online. It's out there for free, I'm sure. My Amazon review from Dec 2013...

This movie SUCKS, so do yourself a favor and buy a copy RIGHT NOW! ;-D

BOTTOM LINE: A 70's Z-grade classic that truly deserves its reputation of being so obscure, forgotten and rotten. Dig it: a by-the-numbers 1950's sci-fi plot, a script written by a brain-damaged monkey with access to a typewriter, filmed with your mom's old home movie camera using a scratchy lens smeared with Vaseline, directed by someone with no clue about movies or directing (or anything else), apparently edited with a machete, and starring no one you'll ever see again (Thank God!). SLITHIS is wonderfully wretched. Bring on the pain! (But don't say you weren't warned!) 5 slimy, muck-encrusted STARS for this uber turkey.

THE STORY: A vaguely reptilian-looking humanoid sea monster - made of living mud - slaughters skid row white trash residing in & around California's Venice Beach area. A school teacher and his cute girlfriend, "Jeff"(!), try to warn local police of the danger, and are dutifully ignored. So the Mr. Kotter reject sets sail, (along with a couple of stupidly brave salty sea-faring types), in order to track down the mucky monstrosity and destroy it.

THOUGHTS: I love scholcky Z-grade cinema, so I was filled with a Christmas morning-level of joy when I discovered that SLITHIS had received a legitimate DVD release. I immediately ordered a copy of this cinematic atrocity and screening it again after so many years, I can absolutely confirm that sure enough, it really truly does completely and totally suck - in every possible way. (Long live Dr. John & police inspector Dunn!) SLITHIS now occupies a special place of honor in my growing collection of celluloid excreta. SLITHIS, for the pitifully unaware, is a bargain sub-basement, "Creature From The Black Lagoon" knock-off, done in the 1970's grindhouse style. A well-meaning attempt to pay homage to those classic rampaging man-monster flicks from the 50's & 60's, that essentially fails on every conceivable level. It's not for the casual monster movie fan. You have to be a hardcore aficionado of this kind of film ...or else a certified masochist. SLITHIS is so awful, so stunningly putrid that it almost double dog dares you to view it. It's like having a cold sore and touching it with your tongue: you know it's gonna hurt but you do it anyways - just to check. On the positive side, the creature itself, (when you can make it out), looks pretty alright and that's the main attraction for this flick.

THE DVD: Basic no-frills standard-def release. Picture & sound are decent, if unspectacular. A sizeable chunk of this film takes place at night, and the cinematography, (I graciously use that term in its loosest possible definition), is somewhat... lacking. Seriously, much of the film is woefully under-lit, making a good deal of the on-screen antics rather difficult to discern. Happily, the video portion of this standard-def transfer contains surprisingly minimal artifacting & pixelation. The soundmix is level and fairly strong. Truthfully, given the nature of this eclectic motion picture, SLITHIS looks as good here as its ever likely to. No extras except the films' theatrical trailer. So what are you waiting for? Order your copy today!
Jinzo Ningen
Heisei Godzilla

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television