[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Threads is coming! • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Threads is coming!

Discuss Movies and Soundtracks available in different formats, including the latest releases on Blu-Ray. As per Board policy, No Bootleg Discussions please!

Moderator: Controllers

Threads is coming!

Postby william newell » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:29 pm

Probably one of the most disturbing films about nuclear war, the BBC movie "Threads" is(finally!) coming to Blu-ray at the end of the month. I saw this back in '84 when it was shown on TBS and it remains a favorite to this day. This movie takes place in Sheffield, England and begins approx. a month before the missiles fly and goes from the day after, to a week after, to over a year after, chronicling mans descent back into the dark ages. Be forewarned, this movie pulls no punches and is quite depressing. But for anyone interested in seeing a realistic portrayal of nuclear war and it's outcome, this is a must see. This will be the first legitimate release here in the States and is one I've been looking forward to for quite some time! And since my "unofficial" copy just went paws-up, the timing couldn't be better. Just thought I'd pass the info along for anyone interested...
william newell
Heisei Godzilla

Re: Threads is coming!

Postby Dai » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:30 pm

Like Grave of the Fireflies or Requiem for a Dream, this is one of those films that's so emotionally draining I don't know if I would ever put myself through it again, regardless of how good it is. It's made even more harrowing by the stark docu-drama style, and the way it intercuts with disturbing emergency broadcasts telling survivors things like how to dispose of their family's corpses.

The 80s presented us with a range of depictions of a nuclear holocaust. When the Wind Blows shields you from the worst of it with a delicate veil of compassion. The Day After is dark, but finds some moments of humanity amid the destruction. Threads has no mercy; it grinds you down with its sheer sense of hopelessness. For that reason, it might be the most important film ever made about nuclear war.
Dai
Heisei Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:08 am

I've never heard of this film. Based on Dai's description it sounds pretty heavy
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:17 am

Classic internet behavior: anytime an article or post mentions the US miniseries The Day After someone comments that Threads is superior.

That's been my sole knowledge of the thing!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dai » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:13 pm

Here's an interesting documentary that compares the radically different approach the two films took to the same subject matter. It contains major spoilers for both.

Dai
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:43 pm

I've never heard of Threads before but I'm definitely interested. It sounds brutal.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Return to Daikaiju Home Media Releases