[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Are the G2K and GFW Godzillas the 1954 Godzilla? • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Are the G2K and GFW Godzillas the 1954 Godzilla?

Discuss the millennium era of Godzilla films! From Godzilla 2000 Millennium to Godzilla Final Wars, these films comprised a wide variety of styles and topics!

Moderator: Controllers

Are the G2K and GFW Godzillas the 1954 Godzilla?

Postby DannyBeane » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:54 pm

This seems like an obvious question but is something I've never thought about and now that I'm thinking about it, it feels weird. At 32 years of age I grew up with 2 primary timelines. The Showa and Heisei timelines. In each time line it was documented that Godzilla 54 died, and every Godzilla from that point on is a second Godzilla. So when I think of all Godzillas they are separate from Godzilla 1954 to me. it's like a muscle memory only in my brain.

Then comes G2K and GFW. According to Toho, they are in the same continuity as G54. But they don't really reference it in either film except in the most vague of ways. The Godzilla in G2K looks nothing like G 54 and the Godzilla in GFW is double the size of G54. However in Godzilla X Megauirus, G 54 was retconned so that the oxygen destroyer never existed and Godzilla was never defeated. So for G2K/GFW, are they G 54 either regenerated from being disintegrated by the Oxygent Destroyer, are they retconned to have never been effected by the Oxygen Destroyer, or are they each a second Godzilla? Also GMK Godzilla is a spiritually resurrected G 54 as well as Kiryu being a robotically resurrected version of Godzilla 54.

TLDR For almost 50 years, Godzilla has been a second Godzilla outside of the G54. Then we have a 5 year period where that is no longer the case and its just weird for me to think about it.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Re: Are the G2K and GFW Godzillas the 1954 Godzilla?

Postby klen7 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:29 am

G2K has the Regenerator G1 subplot and GFW can't be bothered with logic?
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Gentleman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:53 am

Are we all that certain there were only 2 Showa Godzillas? I mean, most of them have wildly different appearances. What if each suit was a different Godzilla? And, growing up, I always reflexively assumed that the 1985 G was, in fact, the 1954 G that had taken 30 years to regenerate. I guess there's no way to prove whether it is or isn't, that's just what my then-12-year-old self imagined.
I'm not a hero. I'm not a savior. Forget what you know.

I'm just a man whose circumstances went beyond his control.
Gentleman
Godzilla Jr.

Postby eabaker » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:53 pm

Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gentleman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:46 pm

Like I said, it took that long. He'd been ripped up down to the molecules. It took that long for them to knit back up.

Looking at it logically, there most likely was a mated pair of Godzillas. If they'd hibernated together, they would have woken up together, though only one was seen at a time. This would explain Godzilla's continued presence in both timelines. It's not that far of a reach, in my opinion. Other Toho kaiju came in pairs - Rodan and Mothra are obvious examples. It seems easy to believe that there were in fact, two Godzillas that were resurrected in '54. One was killed, the other lived. The question coming from that is was it the male or female who was dissolved?

Gentleman
Godzilla Jr.

Postby lhb412 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:58 pm

Both G2K and GFW are vague enough about their connection with the '54 film that either interpretation works perfectly well. I just assumed that, like in Megaguirus, some version of the events of '54 happened in which Godzilla wasn't killed.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gman2887 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:59 am

Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby mbozzo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:24 pm

The G2K Godzilla could be the one from 1954, but it was never mention if it was or not, while the GFW Godzilla was the one from the second movie who stayed under ice longer that the one who appear in the Showa universe. :mrgreen:
mbozzo
Godzilla

Postby Gentleman » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:28 pm

I actually rather like the idea of a dozen different Godzillas trundling around Japan, each one getting one or two fights in before swimming back to their hidden island to chill out and get some sun.

Gentleman
Godzilla Jr.

Postby eabaker » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:44 pm

Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby angilas » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:02 am

angilas
Heisei Godzilla

Return to The Millennium Era: 1999-2005