*** Godzilla Distributor List/Movie Specs FAQ ***

Discuss Movies and Soundtracks available in different formats, including the latest releases on Blu-Ray. As per Board policy, No Bootleg Discussions please!

Moderator: Controllers

*** Godzilla Distributor List/Movie Specs FAQ ***

Postby GodzFire » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:18 pm

(Last Updated May 2016)

Here is the list of which Godzilla films are owned by what company, along with Blu-Ray/DVD information.

Sony TriStar (11/29)
- Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (Blu-Ray 2014: Anamorphic Widescreen, Sub/Dub)
- Godzilla vs. Mothra (Blu-Ray 2014: Anamorphic Widescreen, Sub/Dub)
- Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla II (Blu-Ray 2014: Anamorphic Widescreen, Sub/Dub)
- Godzilla Vs Space Godzilla (Blu-Ray 2014: Anamorphic Widescreen, Sub/Dub)
- Godzilla Vs Destroyah (Blu-Ray 2014: Anamorphic Widescreen, Sub/Dub)
- Godzilla 2000 (Blu-Ray 2014: Anamorphic Widescreen, Jap/Eng Versions, Sub/Dub)
- Godzilla Vs Megaguirus (Blu-Ray 2014: Anamorphic Widescreen, Sub/Dub)
- Godzilla, Mothra, & King Ghidorah: GMAOA (Blu-Ray 2014: Anamorphic Widescreen, Sub/Dub)
- Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (Blu-Ray 2014: Anamorphic Widescreen, Sub/Dub)
- Godzilla: Tokyo SOS (Blu-Ray 2014: Anamorphic Widescreen, Sub/Dub)
- Godzilla: Final Wars (Blu-Ray 2014: Anamorphic Widescreen, Sub/Dub)

Classic Media (7/29)
- Gojira / Godzilla, King of the Monsters (Blu-Ray/DVD 2012: Fullscreen, Jap/Eng Versions, Sub/Dub) [via Criterion Collection]
- Godzilla Raids Again (DVD 2006: Fullscreen, Jap/Eng Versions, Sub/Dub)
- Mothra Vs Godzilla (DVD 2006: Anamorphic Widescreen, Jap/Eng Versions, Sub/Dub)
- Ghidrah, The Three Headed Monster (DVD 2007: Anamorphic Widescreen, Jap/Eng Versions, Sub/Dub)
- Godzilla Vs Monster Zero (DVD 2007: Anamorphic Widescreen, Jap/Eng Versions, Sub/Dub)
- Godzilla's Revenge (DVD 2007: Anamorphic Widescreen, Sub/Dub)
- Terror of Mechagodzilla (DVD 2007: Anamorphic Widescreen, Jap/Eng Versions, Sub/Dub)

Kraken Releasing (4/29)
- Godzilla Vs The Sea Monster (Blu-Ray/DVD 2014: Anamorphic Widescreen, Sub/Dub)
- Godzilla Vs Hedorah (Blu-Ray/DVD 2014: Anamorphic Widescreen, Sub/Dub)
- Godzilla Vs Gigan (Blu-Ray/DVD 2014: Anamorphic Widescreen, Sub/Dub)
- The Return Of Godzilla *Blu-Ray/DVD coming September 2016*

Media Blasters [Via Tokyo Shock] (2/29)
- Destroy All Monsters (Blu-Ray/DVD 2014: Anamorphic Widescreen, Sub/Dub)
- Godzilla Vs Megalon (Blu-Ray/DVD 2014: Anamorphic Widescreen, Sub/Dub)

Miramax [Via Echo Bridge] (1/29)
- Godzilla Vs Biollante (Blu-Ray/DVD 2012: Anamorphic Widescreen, Jap/Eng Versions, Sub/Dub)

Universal (1/29)
- King Kong Vs Godzilla (Blu-Ray/DVD 2014: Anamorphic Widescreen, Eng Version, Dub)

** TOHO OWNED ** (3/29)
- Son of Godzilla: Sony Tristar (DVD 2004: Anamorphic Widescreen, Sub/Dub)
- Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla: Sony Tristar: (DVD 2004: Anamorphic Widescreen, Sub/Dub)
- Godzilla 1985: Anchor Bay (VHS 1997, Non-Anamorphic Widescreen, Eng Version, Dub)
Last edited by GodzFire on Sun May 29, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 20 times in total.
GodzFire
Godzilla Jr.

Re: *** Godzilla Distributor List/Movie Specs FAQ ***

Postby MouthForWar » Sat May 10, 2014 8:35 am

A quick update from Keith Aiken (posted on TK):

"Sony's rights for their Showa Godzilla titles wouldn't have expired all at the same time so it's likely that EBIRAH, HEDORAH and GIGAN became available for licensing from Toho before SON and MECHAGODZILLA did. Kraken would have made a deal for the Godzilla films that Toho was offering, and it's understandable that they would want to see how those titles sold before buying more. SON and MECHAGODZILLA are available now and Toho is in talks with another distributor."

So MG and SoG are no longer with Sony and Toho is apparently "talking" to some people people. And since Biollante is out of print now, I guess we can add that back into the pile of stuff that's reverted back to Toho.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby KaiserGhidorah » Sat May 10, 2014 10:26 am

MouthForWar wrote:A quick update from Keith Aiken (posted on TK):

"Sony's rights for their Showa Godzilla titles wouldn't have expired all at the same time so it's likely that EBIRAH, HEDORAH and GIGAN became available for licensing from Toho before SON and MECHAGODZILLA did. Kraken would have made a deal for the Godzilla films that Toho was offering, and it's understandable that they would want to see how those titles sold before buying more. SON and MECHAGODZILLA are available now and Toho is in talks with another distributor."

So MG and SoG are no longer with Sony and Toho is apparently "talking" to some people people. And since Biollante is out of print now, I guess we can add that back into the pile of stuff that's reverted back to Toho.

Doubt that. More than likely, rights to GvsB remain with Miramax. I believe the Echobridge agreement might have possibly come to end but just because the disc is out of print doesn't necessarily mean that rights reverted back to Toho.
KaiserGhidorah
Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sat May 10, 2014 11:16 am

A very valid point indeed.

GvsMg and SOG are def. back with Toho though
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby kpa » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:59 am

Miramax still owns the US rights to BIOLLANTE that they licensed from Toho. Echo Bridge was simply acting as a home video distributor/packager for Miramax.

Classic Media still owns home video, television and streaming rights to GODZILLA/GKOTM. Criterion's Blu-ray and DVD releases were sub-licensed from Classic Media with Toho's approval.
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby GodzFire » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:56 pm

List updated.

KPA, do you see any chance of Kraken picking up the rights to SoG and MG and/or Sony-Tristar the rights to Godzilla 1985/RoG this year?
GodzFire
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:08 am

Keith has confirmed that G84/85 won't expire this year so no word on that.
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby kpa » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:55 pm

GodzFire wrote:List updated.

KPA, do you see any chance of Kraken picking up the rights to SoG and MG

Kraken told me a few months back they weren't planning to license those titles so -- unless they change their minds -- I would say 'no'.

and/or Sony-Tristar the rights to Godzilla 1985/RoG this year?

What Tom said: G85 won't be available this year so no one will be picking it up. Sony hasn't licensed any Godzilla films in years so I don't know if this movie is even on their radar.
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby Gman2887 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:43 am

Awhile back Kpa gave either a confirmed list or estimation of how long Sony and Classic Media had the rights to their Godzilla titles. I can't find the thread/post of his, but I recall a few of them going in to the 2020s, but is it possible the CM titles have lapsed by now? Many of the discs are becoming very expensive on Amazon which has led some to believe they're "out of print". I'm thinking it may just be dwindling supplies.
Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:49 am

^Considering Svengoolie just aired King of the Monsters, GRA, Mothra vs. Godzilla, Ghidorah, Monster Zero, Godzilla's Revenge, and Rodan licensed from CM (with Gargantuas heavily hinted for a later airing) I'm guessing they're all still with them.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:13 am

Gman2887 wrote:I'm thinking it may just be dwindling supplies.

That's probably it. The first wave of Classic Media's "Toho Master Collection" Godzilla DVDs were authored in 2006/2007 and the second run was done in 2012 (in standard amaray cases), so every existing copy of those discs is currently 5, 10, or 11 years old and that's probably how long it's been since retail outlets restocked on them.

If Classic Media still holds the rights, they just need to author more copies and get them back on the market, although hopefully they would take the opportunity to put them on BRD.
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Postby JordanGLC » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:49 pm

OP needs to update list for Shin Godzilla.
Let those who worship evil's might, beware my power...

My Creature Features
JordanGLC
Godzilla

Postby Gman2887 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:17 am

Benjamin Haines wrote:If Classic Media still holds the rights, they just need to author more copies and get them back on the market, although hopefully they would take the opportunity to put them on BRD.

With Dreamworks Animation or "Dreamworks Classics" now over them, I have my doubts that will ever happen. The titles are probably minute compared to their grand scheme of things.
Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:39 am

Best bet (at least until rights expire) seems to be a third party licenser like Shout Factory, KINO, Arrow, or Criterion.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:47 am

Criterion would be great but after how fans reacted to the cover art for G54 they have no interest in doing any more Godzilla titles. :cry:
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:21 am

Gman2887 wrote:
Benjamin Haines wrote:If Classic Media still holds the rights, they just need to author more copies and get them back on the market, although hopefully they would take the opportunity to put them on BRD.

With Dreamworks Animation or "Dreamworks Classics" now over them, I have my doubts that will ever happen. The titles are probably minute compared to their grand scheme of things.

I forgot that Dreamworks bought them out.

Hmmm... Universal has a new distribution deal with Dreamworks for their upcoming movies, and they've already got a partnership going with Legendary (though their Monsterverse movies are still distributed by WB). Maybe corporate synergy can get these titles re-released to capitalize on Legendary's upcoming Godzilla sequel?

Tom R VanSlambrouck wrote:Criterion would be great but after how fans reacted to the cover art for G54 they have no interest in doing any more Godzilla titles. :cry:

That is false.
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=20096&p=439249#p439249
kpa wrote:Well before the packaging art for their GODZILLA Blu-ray/DVD was released online, Criterion told me they were only interested in the first film and would not be licensing any of the sequels or Toho's other sci-fi/monster movies.
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:12 am

THR OCTOBER 13, 2017:
Harvey Weinstein and Steve Bannon: The Troubled Business Relationship Revealed
Eriq Gardner wrote:Twelve years ago, long before Bannon helped Donald Trump overcome groping claims to become president, he was the chairman of a company called Genius Products. The year was 2005, and when Weinstein and Bannon crossed paths, it was a particularly important time for the movie mogul. Weinstein had just separated from Disney and was launching The Weinstein Co. And he was searching for financing.

According to a proxy statement that Genius once filed with the SEC, about a month after Bob and Harvey Weinstein and Disney jointly announced the termination of their employment contracts, Bannon and Genius CEO Trevor Drinkwater met with representatives of Goldman Sachs — where Bannon once worked as an investment banker. They discussed the possibility of Genius Products as an alternative independent distributor for the Weinsteins' new company. In a story that ran in The New Yorker earlier this year that recounted Bannon's time in Hollywood, Drinkwater nodded to this meeting in an interview. “Goldman Sachs was raising the money for The Weinstein Co., and Steve called one of his buddies at Goldman,” said Drinkwater.

In recent days, Bannon has privately told people that his business with Weinstein is much ado about nothing because Genius came to distribute DVDs for about 50 companies.

But any playing down of the relationship is belied by some inconvenient facts. For one thing, after a series of additional meetings that year between Bannon and Drinkwater on one side and the Weinsteins and other TWC management on the other, an agreement was hatched that gave TWC a 70 percent stake in Bannon's old company. Also, for a short time, Genius was registered as The Weinstein Company Funding LLC and operated as a subsidiary, according to more court and SEC filings.

The Weinsteins might have been enticed by Bannon's company offering to distribute its product in home markets at distribution fees much less than what was being charged by other Hollywood giants. And for a while, the partnership appeared to be working and was generating increasing curiosity. For example, a 2007 Fortune story discussed how Wall Street was "starting to buzz" about Weinstein's interest in Genius, and it quoted Bannon as boasting how the company had grown from $32 million in revenue to around $800 million. A few days after that article appeared, The New York Times ran a story headlined, "Using Genius, Are the Weinsteins Plotting an I.P.O.?"

Genius indeed was eyeing a public offering. In 2007, the company executed a reverse stock split so it could meet the minimum $5 share price to be listed on NASDAQ, only to be sued in Delaware by a shareholder who traded the company's stock in over-the-counter markets. The plaintiff claimed that the reverse stock split was to the detriment of existing shareholders, and the litigation caused the stock price to sink low enough that Genius had to abandon its ambitions.

Meanwhile, Genius picked up other customers, including ESPN, Discovery and Sesame Street. Press releases spoke highly of the future. For example, when World Wrestling Entertainment entered into a multiyear agreement with Genius in 2006, Vince McMahon stated, "Home entertainment is a major part of the WWE’s business, and we believe we have found in Genius a company that understands our brand and will help us continue to drive our company’s growth. Bob and Harvey Weinstein have a tremendous track record. We’re excited about this partnership and its long-term potential."

But things might not have been totally hunky dory for Genius under the stewardship of Bannon and Drinkwater, a former executive at Warner Bros.

As revealed in a March 17, 2008, earnings call, The Weinstein Co. was still responsible for more than half of Genius' revenue despite efforts to diversify. And the terms may have been wanting. "We're continuing discussions with the Weinsteins and other content partners to ... improve the deals. Then when we have something, we'll get right back to you guys," Bannon told inquiring analysts.

The cause of the collapse of Genius — which earned Bannon more than $450,000 in consulting fees as well as stock in the company — remains somewhat of a mystery.

Certainly, as digital distribution became bigger and bigger, the DVD business wasn't the smartest place to be for an upstart company. And its relationships with other entertainment partners weren't quite living up to the advance hype. Owed $8.5 million, WWE eventually forced Genius into involuntary bankruptcy in 2011.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mbozzo » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:59 pm

The last Godzilla movie I saw was Godzilla 2014 on DVD. I haven't gotten any of the Toho Godzilla movie passed Godzilla Versus Destroyah, but I hope to get or see them soon. :wink:
mbozzo
Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:15 pm

Any recent updates on the Criterion/Janus thing & Godzilla?
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
EricDent
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:46 pm

^Nope, other than Filmstruck (Criterion/TCM's streaming service) putting up entire quarter hour clips of their Godzilla movies on their Youtube channel.

Criterion puts a lot of work into these things, so it may take some time. If I were to make a guess I'd say in time for Christmas this year at the earliest.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:27 pm

They're probably going to wait until G2 or GvsKong to do BD releases. I hope we get 4K releases but with them not being on 4K in Japan I know that's a long stretch :(
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Return to Daikaiju Home Media Releases