Matt Reeves' 'The Batman' (June 25, 2021)

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Matt Reeves To Direct ‘The Batman’

Postby Gman2887 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:12 pm

And we're back...

‘The Batman’ Officially Signs Matt Reeves as Director/

News broke last week that negotiations had collapsed, but that there was a strong possibility that they could resume.

“I have loved the Batman story since I was a child,” Reeves said. “He is such an iconic and compelling character, and one that resonates with me deeply. I am incredibly honored and excited to be working with Warner Bros. to bring an epic and emotional new take on the Caped Crusader to the big screen.”
Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:43 am

Well, maybe I'm just naive, but I'm still optimistic. But I am very tired of all the on again, off again, on again rumors. Don't these people know, if you have the chance, always be Batman!

canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:31 am

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: ‘The Batman’ 2019?

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:31 pm

FORBES FEB 8, 2017:
mr.negativity wrote:Forbes:
The 'Batman' Movie Gets New Script, New Director, And Likely 2019 Release

Screen Rant 02.09.2017:
mr.negativity wrote:ScreenRant:
The Batman: Warner Bros. & Ben Affleck ‘Very Happy’ With Current Script

/film March 15th, 2017:
‘The Batman’ Delayed as the Script is Rewritten From Scratch
Jacob Hall wrote:There are two ways to look at all of the noise surrounding The Batman, Ben Affleck‘s upcoming solo adventure as the Caped Crusader. One narrative is that Warner Bros. has no idea what to do with their DC comic book properties. The other is that The Batman is hitting speed bumps because everyone involved is actively working to get this one right and want to avoid disappointing fans who were let down by Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Suicide Squad.

It has already been reported that The Batman will be delayed due to director Matt Reeves‘ pre-existing commitments to another project. Now, we are hearing that the film is being completely rewritten from scratch.

That first piece of news comes our way via Variety’s Justin Kroll, who took to Twitter to report that Reeves is working on War For the Planet of the Apes until the end of June, confirming earlier reports from Mark Hughes at Forbes and Sean Gerber of the Batman News podcast. That means The Batman won’t even begin production until 2018 at the earliest, which means that the rumored 2018 release date is impossible.
Justin Kroll wrote:Twitter:
Hearing Matt Reeves contracted to work on APES till at least end of June, so production on BATMAN likely not starting till 2018

Kroll also warned that Reeves won’t even meet with any actors until the summer, so outside of Ben Affleck himself, no casting rumors that pop up between now and then will carry much weight.
Justin Kroll wrote:Twitter:
Also means any casting rumors you hear are likely BS seeing that he wouldn't have time to meet with any talent till at least July

We can now report that there is more going behind-the-scenes as well. According to sources close to the production, the screenplay for The Batman is being rewritten from the ground up, so it’s entirely possible that everything we’ve heard about the film’s story will no longer be in play.

For the record, the original screenplay for The Batman was supposedly in flux last month, when it was initially reported that the studio was eyeing a “fresh start.” A day later, it was reported that everyone was happy with the latest draft. Affleck, Chris Terrio, and DC Comics writer and CCO Geoff Johns were among those who worked the first version of the screenplay, which reportedly featured Batman facing off against Deathstroke.

While the internet’s knee-jerk response to reshoots and rewrites in general is to shout “Trainwreck!”, this actually sounds like good news. This means that Reeves, a talented director and a fine match for the Dark Knight, isn’t simply taking on leftovers – he’s actively involved in tailoring the film to his sensibilities. It’s not clear who is responsible for the new script quite yet, but this feels like everyone slowing down, taking a moment, and setting out to do this right rather than rush to meet a release date.

At this rate, a 2019 release for The Batman sounds about right. However, the more important thing is that Reeves and Affleck aim to make a great movie, not hit a release date.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Matt Reeves To Direct ‘THE BATMAN’

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:38 am

/film March 19th, 2017:
Joe Manganiello Sounds Less Certain About Playing Deathstroke in ‘The Batman’ Now
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:59 am

DC's Movie Universe May Make 2019 the Year of the Batman
James Whitbrook wrote:Batman & the DCEU

Bat-salt shakers at the ready, but a new rumor from the DCEU Leaks Eeddit suggests Warner Bros. will be releasing four Batman-related movies in 2019, just in time for the character’s 80th anniversary. Additionally, two animated Batman films are reportedly in development for a 2019 release date—one of which is an adaptation of The Long Halloween.

The plan for 2019 is to release four Batman related films. Gotham City Sirens around Valentine’s Day weekend, Nightwing on Memorial Day weekend, Batgirl in August and The Batman in November. The studio is doing this to celebrate the 80th Anniversary of Batman.

The thread continues to state that Deathstroke will still appear in The Batman, but is no longer the film’s main villain; director Matt Reeves is interested in telling a story focusing on Batman’s entire rogue’s gallery. Meanwhile, the same thread also suggests Deathstroke’s son Grant Wilson will be the main villain of the solo Nightwing film. Wilson will be hired by Roland “Blockbuster” Desmond to take out all rival mob bosses in Blüdhaven.

There’s much, much more at the link—including more updates on directorial positions for Suicide Squad 2, updates on the Justice League Dark movie, and even plans for 2020 and beyond. But considering this is just a big long Reddit list—a really long one—it’s best to treat it with some skepticism for now.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dai » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:40 pm

Holy bat-burnout, Batman.
Dai
Heisei Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:50 pm

Seriously. Thats overkill even for DC
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:00 pm

*exasperated sigh*

Godzilla: King of the Monsters will be one of the few non-Batman movies coming out in '19.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:32 pm

1989 - Batman

2019 - Gotham City Sirens, Nightwing, Batgirl, and The Batman

Tim Burton, Michael Keaton, Jack Nicholson et al. had no idea how their blockbuster would transform Hollywood over 30 years.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:33 am

You guys are all such Debbie downers! If it were four Toho kaiju films you'd probably all be ecstatic! (For reference see the enthusiasm in the legendary monsterverse and shin Godzilla/new anime threads).

I for one am excited by the prospect of a bigger cinematic bat-verse. All we've really ever gotten in the past is Batman films. But getting batgirl, nightwing, et al has great potential imo. Especially after watching how great all the Arrow/Flash crossover stuff was on tv (caveat, I'm still finishing up Flash season one and arrow season 3 on Netflix so my opinion is colored only by episodes up to that point).

Batman is by FAR my favorite comic book hero and I'm just as excited by this news as I am all the new "golden age of kaiju" news we've gotten the last year or so.

I know a lot of people didn't care for BvsS or even Bat-fleck. Personally I really liked Affleck as Batman (yeah he kills people, but so has EVERY live action film Batman since 1989. I don't love that aspect, but I've made peace with it). And while I was disappointed in the theatrical cut of BvsS, the ultimate edition totally fixed it for me and now I quite like the film.

So despite WB's arguably shaky track record I'm still hopeful about justice league, can't wait for Wonder Woman, and choose to remain optimistic about the onslaught of bat films.

Relating it back to Toho again, they have an insanely shaky record of making good kaiju movies if you look at their entire history, but I STILL get excited and look forward to every time they announce a new one!
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:52 am

^I think people just wish WB had been able to fully capitalize on their array of characters without relying on the crutch of Batman, which is actually something DC comics have also been guilty of. I think it's called 'Batman creep?'
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:38 pm

canofhumdingers wrote:If it were four Toho kaiju films you'd probably all be ecstatic!
[...]
Relating it back to Toho again, they have an insanely shaky record of making good kaiju movies if you look at their entire history, but I STILL get excited and look forward to every time they announce a new one!

If Toho made that announcement I would have serious concerns about quality of rushing that many films through Production. That said, I have enjoyed more Toho films than DC films, so it's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:20 pm

I'd be excited except that it's this current iteration of Batman and DC film, which I loathe.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Re: Batman Cinematic Universe?

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:23 am

Four Batman movies coming in 2019! Debunked by DC?
phpBB [media]
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Dude, Where's My Batmobile?

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:11 am

The Batman: Warner Bros. ‘Really Excited’ About Matt Reeves’ Idea
Director Matt Reeves, who's described his vision for a noir approach to The Batman, reveals that Warner Bros. appears excited about his idea.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:59 am

I like the idea of emphasizing the detective aspect of Batman. In terms of adaptations, I feel only TAS and Batman '66 actually made this a huge part of Batman's deal (and, IMO, they're the two best ones).
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dai » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:24 am

Out of all of Batman's enduring monickers, World's Greatest Detective is probably the one we've seen embodied the least on the big screen, with most focusing on the Dark Knight angle, and the Schumacher and '66 movies being pure Caped Crusader. The Dark Knight placed a significant emphasis on investigation, but in that case Batman mostly ended up falling into the Joker's traps. Batman v Superman had a heavy emphasis on mystery and investigation, but not focused on Batman specifically. Ironically, he does all of his investigation without the cowl in that movie, and (in the Ultimate Edition, at least) there's an equal emphasis placed on the investigations conducted by Clark and Lois. But, again, they're mostly being manipulated by the villain.
Dai
Heisei Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:16 am

The World's Greatest Detective
phpBB [media]
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:02 am

THR JULY 12, 2017:
'Batman' Director Matt Reeves Has Dropped Ben Affleck's Script
Patrick Shanley wrote:The 'War for the Planet of the Apes' helmer is "starting again" and promised a "new story."
Matt Reeves is revealing more from his plans for his take on The Dark Knight.

The filmmaker, who stepped into replace star Ben Affleck as director on the project, recently revealed on MTV's Happy Sad Confused podcast that he scrapped the earlier script that Affleck, Chris Terrio and DC's Geoff Johns had worked on.

When asked if he would be working with Affleck's script, Reeves said, "No, it’s a new story. It’s just starting again. I’m excited about it. I think it’s going to be really cool.”

Reeves, whose War for the Planet of the Apes hits theaters this weekend, has previously said that Affleck will remain as the Dark Knight in the upcoming film and that he is planning a noir take on the character. In the original script, Deadstroke was the villain, with Joe Manganiello cast. (Reeves did not say if he plans on using Deathstroke in his script.)

Affleck is set to appear at San Diego Comic-Con next week during Warner Bros.' Hall H panel, which will feature his Justice League co-stars. He will don the cape and cowl in the superhero team-up, which is due out in theaters Nov. 7.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:32 pm

THR JULY 21, 2017:
Ben Affleck's Batman Future in Doubt as Warner Bros. Plots Franchise
Kim Masters & Graeme McMillan wrote:The studio is working on plans to usher out Affleck’s Batman gracefully, a source says, addressing the change in some shape or form in one of the upcoming DC films.
Ben Affleck is heading to Comic-Con this weekend to promote Warner Bros.’ upcoming Justice League movie, set for a Nov. 17 release. But how many more times is he likely to put on the Batsuit? Probably not many, if ever again.

Yes, Warners’ film studio chief Toby Emmerich tells The Hollywood Reporter, "Ben is our Batman. We love him as Batman. We want to keep him in the cowl as long as we can." And Matt Reeves, who will direct the studio’s still-undated (and unwritten) The Batman, has said that he means to keep Affleck in the role. But a source with knowledge of the situation says that the studio is working on plans to usher out Affleck’s Batman — gracefully, addressing the change in some shape or form in one of the upcoming DC films.

Exactly when and how that might happen has yet to be determined, but it would be wise to bet against Affleck starring in The Batman. He has already stepped away from directing the film and Reeves is dropping the script that Affleck wrote with D.C. Entertainment’s Geoff Johns.

Reeves also has acknowledged that he has a Batman trilogy rolling around in his head, and given his success making two-thirds of a trilogy out of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and War for the Planet of the Apes, it seems fair to anticipate that Warners will want him to realize his vision.

In addition, Affleck will turn 45 in August, so he would be pushing 50 before The Batman arrives in theaters. If Reeves makes a trilogy, Affleck would be in his mid-50s at best by the time that’s done. Maybe Tom Cruise could pull that off, but Affleck’s body hasn’t exactly been a temple.

And while male stars have been able to stretch their action-film relevance further in an age when there are fewer bankable young stars (Robert Downey Jr. is 52 and going strong as Iron Man), studios favor the fresh-faced — look what happened with Spider-Man, successfully rebooted with 21-year-old Tom Holland. (Affleck also just dropped out of the Netflix project Triple Frontier, and it’s not clear what his next movie will be. His reps declined to comment.)

Warners could hypothetically create dual Batmen, keeping Affleck in the role for a planned Justice League follow-up, while letting Reeves cast his movie with a different star. But that hardly seems likely. The first Justice League already is at an inflection point: Director Zack Snyder has stepped away in mid-production and his successor, Joss Whedon, is said to be doing extensive reshoots. (Note that Justice League member Superman is played by Henry Cavill, 34, The Flash is Ezra Miller, 24, Aquaman is Jason Momoa, 37, and Wonder Woman is 32-year-old Gal Gadot.) And a second Justice League movie would be years down the road. THR reported Thursday that Shazam!, with a yet-to-be-cast title star, will be the next DC movie to shoot.

Of course, Batman transitions have happened before. Starting in 1989, Warners has made films with Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, Christian Bale and Affleck. As a source with ties to the situation observes, there is precedent in the Batman comics for Bruce Wayne handing off the mantle to others, and even for two different Batmen cleaning up the streets of Gotham simultaneously.

The landmark 1993 Knightfall storyline left Wayne temporarily paralyzed, leading him to appoint a vigilante called Azrael as his Batman replacement. When Azrael went rogue, Wayne came out of retirement to stop him and then swiftly retired once more, appointing Dick Grayson (AKA Robin) as the new Batman. That was so successful that when Wayne was assumed dead in 2009, Grayson took on the cowl for a second time. (Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises even went this route, with Joseph Gordon-Levitt's John Blake getting the keys to the Batcave after Bale's Bruce Wayne was presumed dead.)

In the comics, Grayson stayed on as Batman even when Wayne returned to work as The Dark Knight, with the two different Batmen splitting appearances between the various comic books. Bruce Wayne took Batman Inc. and Batman and Robin, while Grayson's stories ran in Batman and Detective Comics. Grayson also appeared monthly in the Justice League of America series during this period, arguably making him the more high-profile of the two characters.

Warner Bros. could even go with the Batman Beyond approach. The fan-favorite animated series (1999-2001) saw an elderly Bruce Wayne train a young man called Terry McGinnis as his apprentice, with Wayne teaching him to take over the role as Batman. Of course, there's a downside to the passing-the-torch scenarios: It's hard to imagine fans or Reeves being excited about following someone who is not Bruce Wayne for a Batman trilogy.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dai » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:39 pm

That makes no sense to me. Reeves has already said he want to focus on the noir detective side of Batman; Affleck doesn't need to do backflips to investigate a crime scene. Besides, some of Batman's most memorable appearances have been when he's middle-aged or older. Hell, he was a wreck held together by a powered exoskeleton in Kingdom Come.
Dai
Heisei Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:38 pm

Dai wrote:That makes no sense to me.

Dude, it's Warner Brosthers 'nuff said.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:20 pm

Get Affleck for one solo Batfilm that introduces Damien Wayne, kill Bruce at the end - series of Dick Grayson Batman/Damien Wayne Robin films follow.

You could essentially make it a 'Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?' type thing that wraps up all the Batman lore audiences know about, even if it's a new continuity.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:47 am

/Film August 15th, 2017:
Ben Affleck Won’t Star In ‘The Batman’ Says Trolling Brother Casey Affleck
Jack Giroux wrote: While not a confirmation that the actor is no longer going to play the Caped Crusader, his brother, Casey Affleck, told a radio show he doesn’t think he’s going to star in director Matt Reeves‘ The Batman before seconds later retracting the statement, saying he was just making stuff up.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television