Shin Godzilla review thread (Spoilers! Duh...)

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Did you like the movie?

Yes
88%
No
12%

Total votes : 58

Re: Shin Godzilla review thread (Spoilers! Duh...)

Postby O.Supreme » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:40 am

Moonlight SY-3 wrote:
TerranigmaFreak wrote:I would not take kids to this Godzilla movie. They will be bored out of their minds.

Funny, my six-year-old son loved it!
Anyone else take their kids? What did they think?

I asked my son (10 years old) if he wanted to go, I told him it would be entirely subtitled and he said he didn't want to go. I can understand that though...all kids are different. I can remember being...5 or 6 and attending a small event in the bay area celebrating Japanese sci-fi/anime etc... (circa 1982). They had Godzilla, Ultraman, various anime's on different TV's throughout the venue. It was neither subbed or dubbed, but I didn't care I loved it. I could have stayed all day. Unfortunately my mom wasn't a fan and made my dad and I leave after an hour or so...

My son is marginally into Godzilla, but he will only watch if its in English...doesn't have the patience for subtitles, I'm hoping that changes in time.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:19 pm

Moonlight SY-3 wrote:You saw this in the States, right? Yeah, I can imagine the English subtitles would be very boring for non-Japanese speaking kids.

They've seen all the Millennium movies with subtitles. Sat through it no problem, and they were a year or two younger back then. Came out of G2014 energized and jumping up and down. Left this one in silence.
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:16 am

Rotten Tomatoes has an 85% "fresh" rating for Shin Godzilla based on 34 critics' reviews, with an average critic rating of 6.7 out of 10.

They also have an 80% "liked it" audience score with an average rating of 3.9 out of 5 (or 7.8 out of 10) based on 3,876 user ratings.

For comparison, this thread's poll currently has 50 votes, 44 positive and 6 negative, for an 88% "liked it" rating from this message board.

So.... what would your numerical rating for Shin Godzilla be? We can come up with an average user rating for this board to supplement our poll data. To keep things simple, let's try to keep the ratings to multiples of 0.5 for a 5-point scale and whole numbers for a 10-point scale.

Shin Godzilla gets a solid 4 out of 5 from me. What about you?
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Gentleman » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:19 pm

Moonlight SY-3 wrote:
TerranigmaFreak wrote:I would not take kids to this Godzilla movie. They will be bored out of their minds.

Funny, my six-year-old son loved it!
Anyone else take their kids? What did they think?

My 14 year old had a great time. Even got some of the political humor, which surprised me.

I'd give the film a 3, maybe 3.5. There were a lot of pluses to the movie, but way too many minuses for me to rave about it.
I'm not a hero. I'm not a savior. Forget what you know.

I'm just a man whose circumstances went beyond his control.
Gentleman
Godzilla Jr.

Postby DannyBeane » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:47 pm

6.5/10 It was a good but not great film. If they had an editor clean up the pacing in the third act when godzilla freezes it would be a solid 8/10.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:54 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:Rotten Tomatoes has an 85% "fresh" rating for Shin Godzilla based on 34 critics' reviews, with an average critic rating of 6.7 out of 10.

. . .

I'm terrible at gibing things a numeric rating... but ironically, that aggregate score from Rotten Tomatoes is a number I quite like: 8.5 out of 10?

The film has some flaws (chief of which is how much the pace slows down in the third act) but I think it's great overall, really great. I think it's the best Godzilla film Toho's made since the '60s. I'd probably rank it just below my five favorite Godzilla flicks, which are the original movie, the loose Mothra/Rodan/Ghidorah trilogy, and Son of.

More meaningless comparisons to other films: I'd rank Shin Godzilla about equal to Gamera 3 and Gamera the Brave, but below Gamera GOTU and Gamera 2. Shin Godzilla is better than Godzilla '14 (which I like a lot) but I don't love it quite as much as Pacific Rim.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:48 am

Benjamin Haines wrote:Rotten Tomatoes has an 85% "fresh" rating for Shin Godzilla based on 34 critics' reviews, with an average critic rating of 6.7 out of 10.

I'm honestly a little flabbergasted it's doing SO well on RT.

Though 6.7 out of 10 (or something like a 3-3.5 out of 5) is something I think is a REASONABLE rating for this movie...if you liked it.
I didn't.

I'm at a 2/5 right now, but I feel like I might drop down to 1.5/5 on subsequent viewings. All of my positives are weighted in the first half of the movie. With the second half being almost wholly unenjoyable for me.

(I honestly can't wrap my head around claims of this being a masterpiece. Like, not even a little bit. I can chalk a lot up to personal taste...but not enough to get me to a place where this would feel like a masterpiece. Not with all its readily visible flaws)
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:53 am

lhb412 wrote:More meaningless comparisons to other films: I'd rank Shin Godzilla about equal to Gamera 3 and Gamera the Brave, but below Gamera GOTU and Gamera 2. Shin Godzilla is better than Godzilla '14 (which I like a lot) but I don't love it quite as much as Pacific Rim.

I'd rank Shin Godzilla over G'14 and Gamera the Brave but I'd put all of the Gamera trilogy above it. Those three movies are all on equal footing to me. I love Pacific Rim and I think Shin Godzilla is about on par with it. I'd have to rewatch it to decide which I like more but they're very different films in tone and style.

Hmm, this gives me an idea for a new thread.

jellydonut25 wrote:I honestly can't wrap my head around claims of this being a masterpiece. Like, not even a little bit. I can chalk a lot up to personal taste...but not enough to get me to a place where this would feel like a masterpiece. Not with all its readily visible flaws

I don't think it's quite a masterpiece but I do think it's really good. My biggest complaint on my first viewing was how the pacing in the last third is slower than in the rapid-fire first two thirds and that was largely alleviated by watching it again, as I think it's just three particular scenes with long stretches of silence that drag the pacing even though they're not bad scenes. Everything around those scenes in the last third is still just as energetic, such as the cabinet pulling itself together after the prime minister's death, Yaguchi and his comrades continuing to crack the secrets of Godzilla, and the entire Yashiori Strategy in action. I find this movie riveting overall and one of the most polished Godzilla entries since the Showa Series, although it's not on the same level as masterpieces like Mothra or the Gamera trilogy.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Gargantuan Gargantua » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:58 pm

This movie isn't anywhere as bad as it's largest naysayers claim and nowhere near as spectacular as others make it out to be.

After one viewing I am strictly in the middle with this movie. I don't know why people were talking about how boring it was because to me this movie couldn't sit still. It made me appreciate the scenes that lasted longer than one minute. The jumping around pacing was my biggest gripe. It wasn't a matter of being bored as much as it wouldn't let me connect with the story on any level. Just one person after the other cramming the movie with dialogue just left me feeling empty. However I do like the main protagonist. I thought the acting was fine and barely remember any of Ishihara's bad English lines. (cause I could barely understand them)

I thought the SFX were okay. Everyone reviewing this had the "this scene looked the worst" comment and the shot for me that took the crap-cake was right after Godzilla obliterates Tokyo and when he does this stiff jerk movement before turning into a Godzilla statue. That was absolutely putrid and what a way to end an almost perfect sequence of him vaporizing Tokyo. They definitely have a long ways to go for CG. I feel the demo reel of Gamera'16 looks way better than anything in Shin-Gojira, which is funny because I believe the same CGI department works on both movies.

https://vimeo.com/187599553

Their demo reel^^^^

So, Godzilla killing Tokyo was great. As a fan that was worth watching the whole movie.

Operation Yashida or Yoshiro or Yoko Ono was great.

Strange frantic pacing hurt the movie for me. Also by my count this movie is only 100 minutes long where I kept reading it was 120 minutes. Thank Christ.

I'd say a 6/10 for me. Definitely do not want a sequel. Definitely not the dream movie I would want from Higuchi. I'd rather see him work with a decent budget and a lengthy production time to do whatever he wants.

(I would say 7/10 for G'14 just for comparisons sake)
Gargantuan Gargantua
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gman2887 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:53 pm

Gargantuan Gargantua wrote:Strange frantic pacing hurt the movie for me. Also by my count this movie is only 100 minutes long where I kept reading it was 120 minutes. Thank Christ.

The version that's been, uh, acquired recently has 19 minutes cut from it. You've seen an edited down version.
Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby Gargantuan Gargantua » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:42 pm

Wow...

My review of this movie might change drastically. lol

Good to know.
Gargantuan Gargantua
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Rody » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:58 pm

I'd give it a 9/10, based on my sole viewing. I was enthralled by the film, and even the lull in the third act didn't bother me much. Any issues I can remember were fairly small and scattered.
I'll feel better about rating it once I've seen it again, though. There was a lot to take in, and I'm sure I missed at least 10%.
Rody
Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:24 am

Rody wrote:I'd give it a 9/10, based on my sole viewing. I was enthralled by the film, and even the lull in the third act didn't bother me much. Any issues I can remember were fairly small and scattered.
I'll feel better about rating it once I've seen it again, though. There was a lot to take in, and I'm sure I missed at least 10%.

If you watched the version that's been floating around online recently, you missed more than 10% of the actual running time of the film itself (the current version floating around online runs 100 minutes while the movie as released to theaters in the US and Japan was over 2 hours long).

I'm a bit sad that it's starting to seem more and more like I'm in the minority on this one as more and more people are seeing it but I really though the second half o fthis movie SUCKED, and the overall effect was ultimately just "not good" because of that. Oh well...it's not like I've never been in the minority on a Godzilla film...I just wish I could see what you guys are seeing instead of seeing this catastrophic MESS of a second hour that absolutely torpedoes the entire movie.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Gargantuan Gargantua » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:54 pm

Well the 6/10 I gave the cut version of the movie isn't exactly glowing.

Whether I like the full version or not I definitely do not want to see them carry on with a sequel.

Obviously I will revisit when I get the BluRay.
Gargantuan Gargantua
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Rody » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:11 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:If you watched the version that's been floating around online recently, you missed more than 10% of the actual running time of the film itself (the current version floating around online runs 100 minutes while the movie as released to theaters in the US and Japan was over 2 hours long).

I was fortunate enough to see the film properly on the big screen; I haven't touched the "other" version. 8)
The 10% was meant to refer to details scattered through the film which I simply couldn't catch on a single viewing. I confess, I'm actually looking forward to the inevitable dub just so I can follow the plot a little more easily. :lol:
Rody
Godzilla

Postby Russzilla » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:49 am

Gman2887 wrote:
Gargantuan Gargantua wrote:Strange frantic pacing hurt the movie for me. Also by my count this movie is only 100 minutes long where I kept reading it was 120 minutes. Thank Christ.

The version that's been, uh, acquired recently has 19 minutes cut from it. You've seen an edited down version.

Well, this is the version that I have seen. I'd still give it a 7/10.
Russzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:58 pm

So, has it been confirmed that the abbreviated subtitled version of Shin Godzilla that's floating around online is a version intended for in-flight viewing?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Stadawim » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:33 am

I never got my two cents in.... (not that it matters)

This was a great movie. This brought me back to childhood in a way where i could almost be scared of this monster again. Like, i could totally envision this is practically how events would transpire with a little artistic license along the way. Yes, the end seemed contrived. But the makers knew they weren't going to sequel this one, so they had to stamp it out before it could be flared back up. But even the boring bureaucratic bullstuffs kept me enthralled because the tempo and drama never dropped. That's in part due to the style of books i read - i could appreciate some loathsome politicians mussing up situations. Ultimately it's about Godzilla going back to the roots - a virtually unstoppable force of nature. With no designs in its' amphibian(?) mind; it doesn't realize it's destroying, it's just marching on land for the first time and woe be unto ye lest you lie in its path. That's what i originally liked about the monster anyway. Well, that and the fights. When we were kids those fights seemed real. Plausible. Now that we're adults, they seem hokey. So you have to step up the game to make it that level of real again. Especially to anyone who is new to the Godzilla series.

I give it a 8.5. Closer to 9. The choppy ending takes the points away. I'd definitely put it in my top 5 kaiju films. Very well executed. Gamera could benefit from this. Kong... Maybe.
Stadawim
Little Godzilla

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:32 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:I'm a bit sad that it's starting to seem more and more like I'm in the minority on this one as more and more people are seeing it but I really though the second half o fthis movie SUCKED, and the overall effect was ultimately just "not good" because of that. Oh well...it's not like I've never been in the minority on a Godzilla film...I just wish I could see what you guys are seeing instead of seeing this catastrophic MESS of a second hour that absolutely torpedoes the entire movie.

Nah, plenty of people thought this movie sucked. This movie had no idea what it wanted to be. It was neither scary, funny, or exciting. It was plenty boring though. That's really the worse offense. A movie can be bad but still entertaining. This movie is just boring.
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla

Previous

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!