Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby Moonlight SY-3 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:32 am

Rodanex wrote:
and..... Mechagodzilla's Heisei theme. What an odd choice that last one is. I guess Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1993) is one of Anno's favorites, or maybe he or someone on the production just liked that particular music cue.

Duuuude!! Seriously? Man, now I wish I'd stayed for all the credits.

I've never understood why people wouldn't stay for the credits...you paid for the whole movie, you should watch the whole movie!
~Brian
Moonlight SY-3
Godzilla

Postby Reaper G » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:24 am

I'll never not enjoy hearing Ifukube's themes in the theater, but I really think "Shin Godzilla" should have had a whole new score to go with a total reboot of the creature.
Pest, MSTie, Foodie, G-fan, Wrestlemaniac, and geek-at-large
http://reaper_g.livejournal.com
Reaper G
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dai » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:59 pm

Obviously I've been complaining about the lack of a UK release, but has Shin Godzilla screened anywhere in Europe yet? The only non-Asian territories I recall hearing about are the US, Canada and Mexico. What happened to these 100 countries that supposedly snapped up the license?
Dai
Heisei Godzilla

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:45 pm

Reaper G wrote:I'll never not enjoy hearing Ifukube's themes in the theater, but I really think "Shin Godzilla" should have had a whole new score to go with a total reboot of the creature.

It felt so out of place. GMK knew how to have it's own original score while delivering a nod to Ifukube.
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:38 pm

I loved all of the music choices in Shin Godzilla. I've read that some of the cues were stock tracks from Evangelion but I've never seen any of that so all of the non-Ifukube music sounded new to me. Which scenes had Evangelion music?
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Psycho Soldier » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:02 pm

Rando's team's meetings are set to remixes of the track "Decisive Battle." I also haven't seen "Evangelion," but I'm aware of this one.

phpBB [media]

Relatedly, "Black Angels" (which plays when the air forces first engage Godzilla) is a revised version of a track from "Bleach":

phpBB [media]
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby angilas » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:06 am

Yeah decisive battle was my favorite Eva track as a kid outside of the Yoko Takahashi themes for the intro and death and rebirth, and the new movies irritated the he'll out of me when they kept teasing it but never played the actual theme until 75% into the first movie (was worried they'd updated it and left out the best part). So some of the themes are the remixes from the new rebuild films.

Didn't notice the bleach theme in the film and honestly while the show had a good soundtrack and that theme sounds familiar, the Manga fell off after the Aizen arc and it never had the cultural impact of EVA which people say revolutionized the way we think about mechanic, having them sleek, fast, agile etc. I think those people are wrong since I feel the movement is somewhat ultraman inspired, but villains like the angels, and robots like the Eva's have been showing up in anime ever since.

Once Milan records drops the vinyl or mycdjapan order arrives I'll check for references to various eva/bleach tracks since the composer is the same. While I too think he did a good job and missed the ifukube theme in 84, and applauded it's return in Biollante (in some form) knowing this is a harder reboot as the first Japanese film not to be a sequel in anyway to the original it's kind of expected it wouldn't rely so heavily. But I think the American Godzilla 14 has something to do with that since we already have one recent G film that uses none of the traditional music and this film seemed to try hard to diversify from that and appeal to Japanese' audiences
Gman2887 wrote:Meanwhile in Japan...

World of KJ just updated with weekend actuals, reporting Shin Godzilla is now at $76 million with an attendance of 5.40 million. (Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster is at 5.41 million.) If BOM updates again I wonder what it will be at, since WOKJ tends to have lower estimates.

Not sure what's going on. It's like it skipped a week on BoM so i'm not sure it's run is done: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pa ... dzilla.htm
They have it at 75.6M but sometimes their totals from week to week don't add up. They,ll have it at 70M one week for instance say it made 2M the next but move the total to 71M and not 72. Anyway it was in 11the at the box office this week according to them so if it does stick around it should beat Ghidora's lifetime total attendance'
angilas
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gigantis_99 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:42 pm

So anybody notice that the Art of Shin Godzilla book got pushed back again to December? I hope it means there will be some really interesting (hopefully english language) content. Dang, though I'm almost wondering if this will ever get released!
Gigantis_99
Little Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:31 pm

^That sucks... not that I'd ever get the expensive thing, but I'm sure a lot of cool images would find their way online almost instantly.

I really wish some US publisher would license some Japanese kaiju 'art of' books for translation.

Benjamin Haines wrote:I loved all of the music choices in Shin Godzilla.

Me too. I thought it was all great; especially the choral pieces and the sheer 'why the hell not' aspect of using vintage recordings of Ifukube tracks.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:59 am

Bruticus wrote:Rando's team's meetings are set to remixes of the track "Decisive Battle." I also haven't seen "Evangelion," but I'm aware of this one.

Relatedly, "Black Angels" (which plays when the air forces first engage Godzilla) is a revised version of a track from "Bleach"

Cool. I remember the Decisive Battle theme from the movie. It'll be nice to eventually have this on bluray and go over all the little intricacies.

angilas wrote:
Gman2887 wrote:Meanwhile in Japan...

World of KJ just updated with weekend actuals, reporting Shin Godzilla is now at $76 million with an attendance of 5.40 million. (Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster is at 5.41 million.) If BOM updates again I wonder what it will be at, since WOKJ tends to have lower estimates.

Not sure what's going on. It's like it skipped a week on BoM so i'm not sure it's run is done: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pa ... dzilla.htm
They have it at 75.6M but sometimes their totals from week to week don't add up. They,ll have it at 70M one week for instance say it made 2M the next but move the total to 71M and not 72. Anyway it was in 11the at the box office this week according to them so if it does stick around it should beat Ghidora's lifetime total attendance'

I'm not sure what is up with Mojo's coverage of the Japanese box office. They have data for the Oct. 15-16 weekend in Japan but Shin Godzilla was conspicuously absent from it. I thought maybe it was just done playing in theaters after a successful 11-week run but it was back on the chart for the Oct. 22-23 weekend, which Mojo lists as Shin Godzilla's 13th. I wonder why the data for weekend 12 wasn't recorded.

Plus, like you said, their totals don't all add up correctly. They listed it with a $74,574,609 gross after 10 weeks, then following another week of theatrical play and a reported 11th-weekend haul of $590,918, they listed a new 11-week total of... $74,659,884 - a reported increase of less than $100,000 from where it was seven days prior. That math is faulty.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Kailem » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:53 pm

Dai wrote:Obviously I've been complaining about the lack of a UK release, but has Shin Godzilla screened anywhere in Europe yet? The only non-Asian territories I recall hearing about are the US, Canada and Mexico. What happened to these 100 countries that supposedly snapped up the license?

Yeah I haven't seen any release details for any other non-Asian territories apart from those ones either, except Australia. I'd be ok with a Blu-ray-only release in the UK, but it'd be nice if we could hear something about it one way or the other.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own"
- Bruce Lee
Kailem
Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:52 am

According to this chart of the 100 highest-grossing films at the Japanese box office, Shin Godzilla has now earned $79 million in Japan and currently ranks #63 all-time.

Kailem wrote:
Dai wrote:Obviously I've been complaining about the lack of a UK release, but has Shin Godzilla screened anywhere in Europe yet? The only non-Asian territories I recall hearing about are the US, Canada and Mexico. What happened to these 100 countries that supposedly snapped up the license?

Yeah I haven't seen any release details for any other non-Asian territories apart from those ones either, except Australia. I'd be ok with a Blu-ray-only release in the UK, but it'd be nice if we could hear something about it one way or the other.

Shin Godzilla also opened in the New Zealand & Fiji market last weekend following its Australian opening the week before that.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dai » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:02 pm

*crickets chirp*

*a tumbleweed rolls by*

Is it me, or has the momentum dropped right out of this movie's world tour? I guess the rest of us will have to wait for the blu-ray to be released somewhere. :?
Dai
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:23 pm

^ It does seem that way, but it used to take a while before films made their way to other countries. Many of us were lucky enough to get the film so soon, but maybe for the rest the film is on the slower, more old fashioned, trek to their home countries?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:26 am

canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby Psycho Soldier » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:46 am

The straw Godzilla is impressive. I've considered making a Godzilla out of Keurig cups, but don't have the skills or space for such a thing.
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gentleman » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:16 am

Not bad. Call me when the stick and brick Godzilla's show up.
I'm not a hero. I'm not a savior. Forget what you know.

I'm just a man whose circumstances went beyond his control.
Gentleman
Godzilla Jr.

Postby tbeasley » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:39 pm

As most are probably aware, Shin Godzilla draws heavy inspiration from the 2011 Tohoku earthquake/ tsunami and subsequent Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster. This haunting video really drives that home. If you've seen the film, some imagery will be familiarly eerie.

phpBB [media]
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.
tbeasley
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Rody » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:53 pm

^That's... Terrifying. I never actually followed coverage of the disaster(s), so this is all new footage to me.
It really does lend context to the film's visuals.
Rody
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:21 pm

Jeez. I hadn't seen any of that footage.

On a less somber note: Japanese home video release is March 22.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:19 pm

Mexican trailer!

phpBB [media]
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Moonlight SY-3 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:21 pm

Dai wrote:*crickets chirp*

*a tumbleweed rolls by*

Is it me, or has the momentum dropped right out of this movie's world tour? I guess the rest of us will have to wait for the blu-ray to be released somewhere. :?

I have no idea what's going on in the rest of the world, but I can report that Shin Godzilla just ended its run here in Sano on December 2. It started on July 29, so that's over 4 months in the theater here in very rural Sano. It may still be playing in larger cities.

I've heard rumors that the Blu-ray is coming in March...any confirmations of that?
~Brian
Moonlight SY-3
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:26 pm

^Look three posts up!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Moonlight SY-3 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:24 am

lhb412 wrote:^Look three posts up!

D'oh! How'd I miss that? So, this is confirmed? I haven't been able to find any concrete info over here.
~Brian
Moonlight SY-3
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:22 am

I believe it was a pre-order that was listed prematurely then taken down. Specific versions were apparently listed, with multi disc special edition getting most of the attention from fans.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!