Matt Reeves' 'The Batman' (June 25, 2021)

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Matt Reeves' 'The Batman' (June 25, 2021)

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:06 pm

WILL BEN AFFLECK DIRECT "THE BATMAN" SOLO FILM FOR WARNER BROS.?

DC DA7E: Two Green Lanterns, Pine Is Hal, & 'The Batman' Release Date!
Da7e wrote:Yes, the Ben Affleck project Latino-Review previous reported is still a go, aiming for November 2018 now. Chris Terrio, who has writing credits on Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice and has been announced as a writer for both Justice League films will write the movie for Ben Affleck to direct himself in. It’s still called The Batman, and it still sounds like it could be amazing.
Last edited by mr.negativity on Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: The Batman 2018

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:07 pm

DEADLINE:
Ben Affleck To Team With DC’s Geoff Johns On Stand-Alone ‘Batman’ Film: Comic Con
Mike Fleming Jr wrote:EXCLUSIVE:
Here’s one for the Comic-Con crowd to gnaw on. I’m told that Ben Affleck is teaming up with Geoff Johns to co-write a stand-alone Batman movie that Affleck will direct and star in after he completes his longstanding plan to helm his scripted adaptation of the Dennis Lehane novel Live By Night. Johns has about as much comic cred as anybody around. He’s DC Comics’ chief creative officer and has written some of its best remembered comic book series including Green Lantern, Aquaman, Batman, Justice League Unlimited, The Flash and Superman. He also has written TV series superhero transfers Smallville, Arrow and The Flash, as well as the Supergirl project with Greg Berlanti for CBS.

My studio sources tell me that Affleck and Johns are well in synch and have more than found their rhythm. In fact, they are likely to turn in a script before the end of the summer, prior to Affleck going off to direct Live By Night in November. Affleck postponed that pic to star in Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice. The Batman movie would shoot after he finishes Live By Night, and the plot would reflect the Batman character that emerges after Batman V Superman and Justice League, the latter of which comes out November 17, 2017. DC and Warner Bros have set a long list of superhero movies that take the Marvel formula of interspersing characters from one film to the next, so it’s unclear when Affleck’s Batfilm will be slotted.

But it clearly will take priority, and other movies might have to move to get out of its way. While Marvel’s Kevin Feige has defied the odds and turned one Marvel character after another into hit films, I have been somewhat skeptical about the DC films that Warner Bros has made a top priority. This is a confidence booster. The best Batman blockbusters had a real sense of visual authorship, originated by Tim Burton, with the latest arc by Christopher Nolan. Now it falls to Affleck, who’ll creatively steer the Batman franchise after directing the Best Picture winner Argo and co-scripting and directing the gems The Town and Gone Baby Gone. Helped by the collaboration with DC-savvy Johns, this might be the most exciting news to hit the Con this weekend.

VARIETY:
Ben Affleck’s ‘Live by Night’ Gets Greenlight, November Start Date (EXCLUSIVE)
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:57 am

Solo ‘Batman’ Film Rumored to Pull from the Dark Knight’s Personal Tragedy
‘Batman v Superman’ will also provide some setup for the solo ‘Batman’ movie.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:44 pm

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:32 am

Ben Affleck Has Written His Own Batman Script
"There's a script that he's written that is a really cool [Batman] idea," says William Morris Endeavor's Patrick Whitesell.
For the fans who found Ben Affleck's Dark Knight to be the highlight of Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, some good news: not only will he return for the Justice League movies, but there's the possibility of an additional Batman movie based on Affleck's own take on the character.

In a Hollywood Reporter interview with WME-IMG's co-CEOs Ari Emanuel and Patrick Whitesell, Whitesell reveals how many movies Affleck has currently signed up for when it comes to DC's Caped Crusader.

"He's contracted to do at least Justice League One and Two, so at least three times wearing the cape," he says, adding, "there's a script that he's written that is a really cool [Batman] idea, so that's out there as an option."

This isn't the first time the prospect of an Affleck-originated Batman movie has been raised. During San Diego Comic-Con last year, THR reported that the actor-director was developing a stand-alone Batman project with DC Entertainment chief creative officer Geoff Johns, with Affleck tentatively attached to direct as well as star.

In addition to the movies Whitesell mentioned, Affleck's Batman will also make a cameo appearance in August's Suicide Squad, which includes a number of the hero's comic book villains as lead characters (His rumored presence was confirmed in footage from the movie released during Comic-Con last year).
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:48 am

Confirmed: Ben Affleck's already written his solo Batman script... but what is it?
No one who plays the Batman has ever scripted his own adventure before
DREW MCWEENY wrote:One of the things that excites me about the news that Ben Affleck has already turned in a solo Batman script is that we’ve never seen an actor write his own Batman film before. While I like many of the screen interpretations of the character that have come before, the actors who wear that suit have a perspective on how that feels that no one else does. If you’re someone like Affleck who has spent time in that cowl, it has to impact how you think about the character and his relationship to the world around him. It just has to.

Overall, I am curious to see how long Affleck stays attached to the part. He’s contracted, obviously, for both of the Justice League movies and he makes a cameo (at least) in Suicide Squad later this year. The cover story of the Hollywood Reporter that was just published is an interview with his agents, and they report that “there’s a script that he’s written that is a really cool [Batman] idea.” This may be the film that he was reportedly developing with Geoff Johns, and I’d be curious to see where it falls in the overall Batman timeline.

That’s one of the things that is most curious about starting this Batman at a point where they did. He’s already pretty far into his development as a character, but it also felt like even thought he’d already obviously lost a Robin, people were calling him “The Bat of Gotham” and “The Bat” and talking about him like he was a relatively new phenomenon. It was strange, but it just means that I don’t have my bearings yet as a viewer. I presume Affleck has a sense of where the character is in his own head, and a solo film would give him plenty of time to explore those ideas.

Visually, Affleck’s a great Batman, and I thought he had good chemistry with Jeremy Irons, who I certainly hope returns as Alfred for further adventures as well. I’m curious to see how he interacts with Jared Leto’s Joker, who will most likely turn out to be the next great battle line drawn in fandom, because I think any Batman is defined, at least in part, by the strength of his rogue’s gallery in general and his Joker in specific. The trailers for Suicide Squad have a very different tone than Batman v Superman, and seeing how well Batman is able to move from one film to the next will be an indicator (at least in part) as to how well the DC Universe is going to bend on film.

Verrrrrrrrrrrry curious.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:39 am

I'm all for it as long as Zack SNyder ha nothing to do with it.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Outkaster » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:12 am

If the script is good enough it should be fine.
Joined in 2001.
Outkaster
Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:43 pm

CinemaCon: Warner Bros. Chief Says Ben Affleck's Stand-Alone Batman Movie Is a Go
Kevin Tsujihara appeared Tuesday at the annual gathering of theater owners to tout the studio's upcoming slate, including the stand-alone, which Affleck will star in and direct.

Will Smith Enthusiastic About 'Deadshot' Showing Up In THE BATMAN...As 'Batman'?!
MTV caught up with Suicide Squad star Will Smith last night and quizzed the actor on Deadshot's future in the DC Films Universe and the possibility of him showing up in The Batman.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Arkham Asylum?

Postby mr.negativity » Sun May 01, 2016 7:19 pm

You Will Probably See Your Favorite Villain In Affleck’s BATMAN Movie
Because most of them will be in it.
DEVIN FARACI wrote:Many, if not most, members of Batman's rogue's gallery will be making appearances in the film. It's going to be crammed with Bat villains, which means that just about every major bad guy you've ever wanted to see in a movie will be in this movie. According to my sources Affleck and Geoff Johns, who has been working with him on the film, want to make the definitive Batman film. They want to tell the ultimate Batman story, and to do so they're going to bring in all the big guns. They're going to have a big, sprawling Bat universe already in place.

My guess is that most of these will be cameos, possibly characters appearing in Arkham Asylum (could they be doing a weird adaptation of Arkham Asylum? That's just a total piece of speculation). But that still means we're gonna have a lot of villains showing up, which means a lot of interesting casting, and a lot of interesting possibilities for future films. This certainly fits in with the larger DC movieverse model, which is to introduce everything already developed in one fell swoop as opposed to building it up. When it comes to Batman I'm actually very okay with this - everybody in the world knows who The Penguin and The Riddler are, and we don't need to watch their first meeting with Batman yet again.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Mon May 02, 2016 12:32 am

But who could follow Vincent Price's Egghead and Victor Buono's King Tut?
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Mon May 02, 2016 1:01 am

The Shadow wrote:But who could follow Vincent Price's Egghead and Victor Buono's King Tut?

No one because the movie will have REAL Batman villains, not those lousy jokes.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri May 06, 2016 6:30 pm

Ben Affleck Elevates ‘Justice League’ Presence; Becomes Exec Producer
Affleck is building toward a relaunch of the Batman franchise as a stand-alone.
Mike Fleming Jr wrote:EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros has made a subtle addition to the Justice League braintrust. Ben Affleck, already set to co-star in the film, has signed on to become its executive producer as well. In that role, he will work with director Zack Snyder and screenwriter Chris Terrio behind the scenes to make the film the best it can be. It seems like a smart move, given that Affleck is already on the premises to reprise his Batman/Bruce Wayne character, and because he’s as strong a storytelling presence as Warner Bros has on its lot. He showed that with his writing-directing efforts Gone Baby Gone, The Town and Argo, the latter of which won the Best Picture Oscar for Warner Bros and was scripted by Terrio, who also won an Academy Award for the film.

I’m told that Affleck is doing this to be supportive of Snyder, with whom he worked well on Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice, which grossed $864 million worldwide despite not being beloved by the critics. Warner Bros is still figuring out its stylistic superhero mojo, and Affleck will help. Justice League is slotted for a November 17, 2017 release, and Affleck’s Batman is expected to be paired alongside Henry Cavill’s Superman, Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman, and likely Jason Momoa’s Aquaman.

Affleck, who followed his Batman turn by directing and starring in his scripted adaptation of the Dennis Lehane novel Live By Night for an October 20, 2017 release by Warner Bros, is building toward a relaunch of the Batman franchise as a stand-alone. As Deadline revealed last Comic-Con, he has teamed with DC’s Geoff Johns to write the movie he’ll star in and direct.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri May 06, 2016 6:45 pm

Ben Affleck Is Now Executive Producer Of JUSTICE LEAGUE
The drama continues.
EVAN SAATHOFF wrote:Hold up, the red phone is ringing. Oh hey, it’s Devin Faraci, who has this to add:
My sources have told me that Affleck was incredibly unhappy about the reception of BvS. He felt humiliated after spending so much of the press tour saying how much better this film would be than Daredevil. On top of that his agent was furious when Kevin Tsujihara jumped the gun and announced him as the director of The Batman - there were still negotiations happening.

This move seems to help placate Affleck while also edging Zack Snyder out of a controlling central position in the DC Movieverse.

Inquisitr:
Zack Snyder On The Outs With DC, Warner: New ‘Justice League’ Boss Could Be Coming
Aric Mitchell wrote:While the rumored-to-cost $450 million for shooting and marketing BvS fared better at the box office in terms of pure gross, it did the vast majority of its business in its opening weekend and crashed hard among a sea of bad critiques from both professional film critics and movie audiences alike.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri May 06, 2016 7:49 pm

mr.negativity wrote:Inquisitr:
Zack Snyder On The Outs With DC, Warner: New ‘Justice League’ Boss Could Be Coming
Aric Mitchell wrote:While the rumored-to-cost $450 million for shooting and marketing BvS fared better at the box office in terms of pure gross, it did the vast majority of its business in its opening weekend and crashed hard among a sea of bad critiques from both professional film critics and movie audiences alike.

Someone back a dump truck full of money to the houses of either George Miller or the Wachowskis.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:27 am

The Batman Solo Movie Will Tell an Original Story, Says Ben Affleck
I think what I would do is probably, I would probably do in some ways what Zack did with this movie, which is to borrow certain things from the great comic books, but create an original story around it. Because I wouldn’t want the fans to already know the story and be familiar with it, but I would borrow, and steal, great things that have been done before in the comics.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:24 am

TheWrap:
Deathstroke Will Be Main Villain in Ben Affleck’s Batman Movie (Exclusive)

Joe Manganiello to Play Deathstroke in Ben Affleck’s ‘Batman’ Movie
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:40 am

Rumor: Ben Affleck’s ‘The Batman’ Script Is a Mess and Warner Bros Doesn’t Care to Fix It
Angie Han wrote:Despite the fact that we don’t actually know when it’s coming, Ben Affleck‘s The Batman has looked like one of the more promising films on Warner Bros.’ DC slate. Not only was Affleck one of the highlights of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, but he’s also planning to direct the film himself. Affleck’s been saying all the right things about the project, too, talking up his collaboration with Geoff Johns and emphasizing that they’re taking the time to get it right.

But if American Psycho author Bret Easton Ellis is to be believed, fans may want to temper their expectations. According to Ellis, Affleck’s The Batman script is a total mess. And even worse, he claims Warner Bros. doesn’t care to bother fixing it.

Ellis’ thoughts on Affleck’s The Batman come as part of a larger story by The Ringer about the current state and future of the movie industry. Here’s Ellis on Batman:
I was having dinner with a couple of executives who know other executives who are working on the [forthcoming] Batman movie, The Batman. And they were just telling me that there are serious problems with the script. And that the executives I was having dinner with were complaining about people who work on the Batman movie. And they just said they went to the studio and they said, ‘Look, the script is … Here’s 30 things that are wrong with it that we can fix.’ And [the executives] said, ‘We don’t care. We don’t really care. The amount of money we’re going to make globally, I mean 70 percent of our audience is not going to be seeing this in English. And it doesn’t really matter, these things that you’re bringing up about the flaws of the script.’ So I do think global concerns play a big part in how movies, and what movies, are being made, obviously.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:55 pm

‘We don’t care. We don’t really care.

and that is why most movies suck now a days.
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:24 pm

Variety:
Ben Affleck Will Not Direct ‘The Batman’ (EXCLUSIVE)
Justin Kroll wrote:Ben Affleck has decided to step down as director of “The Batman” and remain on as a producer and star of the project.

Affleck is still on board to play the superhero, but sources close to the talent said Affleck and Warner Bros., after discussing how to best make the film possible, came to the decision together.

“There are certain characters who hold a special place in the hearts of millions,” Affleck said in a statement. “Performing this role demands focus, passion and the very best performance I can give. It has become clear that I cannot do both jobs to the level they require. Together with the studio, I have decided to find a partner in a director who will collaborate with me on this massive film. I am still in this, and we are making it, but we are currently looking for a director. I remain extremely committed to this project, and look forward to bringing this to life for fans around the world.”

Sources say this decision was solely made based on what’s best for the project and had nothing to do with the recent disappointment of Affleck’s recent directing job “Live by Night.”

Affleck and Warner Bros. will now begin searching for a new director. Sources say there is a shortlist and that “War for the Planet of the Apes” helmer Matt Reeves is among those on the list.

“Warner Bros. fully supports Ben Affleck’s decision and remains committed to working with him to bring a standalone Batman picture to life,” the studio said a statement.

Affleck has completed work as the Caped Crusader in “Justice League,” which opens Nov. 17, and he was preparing to go into prep on the solo “Batman” movie this summer. Affleck co-wrote the script with Geoff Johns.

There had been rumblings that Affleck was considering not directing the film during the past month, but in recent weeks sources say the multi-hyphenate came to the decision it was best to let the directing job go and focus on playing the part.

He first appeared as the superhero in last year’s “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.”

Variety:
Ben Affleck’s ‘Live by Night’ Flop Results in $75 Million Loss (EXCLUSIVE)
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:29 pm

Abandon ship!

All hands, prepare to abandon ship!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:33 pm

Ben Affleck Not Directing Batman
The studio is eyeing a shortlist of shooters that includes Captain Fantastic helmer Matt Ross and other major filmmakers including Matt Reeves, who just helmed the latest Planet of the Apes installment.

10 Directors to Watch: Matt Ross Returns to Sundance with ‘Captain Fantastic’
Character actor turned helmer Matt Ross taps into Viggo Mortensen's back-to-nature spirit with fantastic family drama.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:14 am

lhb412 wrote:Abandon ship!

All hands, prepare to abandon ship!

We don’t care. We don’t really care.
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:18 am

I'm epecting WB to silently scrap the movieverse after WW and JL have been released.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:22 pm

Just saw on Yahoo news that rumors are awash that Affleck may pull out of the project altogether now. Hmmm... Depending on the success (or lack thereof) for WB with Justice League & Wonder Woman it could very well spell the end of their attempt at a DC-verse. Considering the results thus far, I cannot say that it would upset me much. That in itself is sad.
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla

Next

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television