[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Ultraman manga through Viz • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Ultraman manga through Viz

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Ultraman manga through Viz

Postby klen7 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:20 pm

SciFiJapan is reporting that Viz is bringing over the newish Ultraman manga.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Ultraman manga through Viz

Postby Psycho Soldier » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:33 am

Looks and sounds interesting. The Ultraman design on the cover looks great, too. I'll be checking this out.
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 am

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Rody » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:35 pm

I'm very happy to hear this. I was reading fan translations of the manga, but those have stopped short. It's great that we're getting an official release now.
Rody
Godzilla

Postby tbeasley » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:27 pm

Skimmed through this at the bookstore and it looks interesting. I've only familiar with the first Ultra series and this seems to be a direct sequel to it, so I think I can jump right in. I'd love to support officially licensed Ultra merchandise but can anyone say it's worth keeping up with? I've been meaning to read more manga, I've only ever read Akira and the Evangelion adaptation.
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.
tbeasley
Heisei Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:25 pm

i got the first volume.. its not quite what i expected, but im interested to see where it goes...

It does keep the original Ultraman series as cannon, so there are characters and references to that. There is young protagonist (so we're very squarely in shonen territory) who has super powers (they call it "The Ultraman Factor").. there are also villainous aliens. The action so far is all human sized (with armored power suits) but the short flashbacks to the original Ultraman has large scale monsters.

It's better than i am making it sound (or maybe it sounds good to you) because i haven't been a fan of super powered high school kids since i was in high school. The story elements that tie back to the original Ultraman are keeping me interested, but the main action is lost on me
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Psycho Soldier » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:57 am

I liked it quite a bit. The action did remind me more of The Guyver than of Ultraman, but I have a good feeling that the manga is building up to more traditional Ultra action, so I don't feel too disappointed yet. I liked the artwork, enjoyed the ties to the original show, and look forward to Volume 2.
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Xenorama » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:29 pm

guess who hosted a panel about this comic at this years "Comic Con" in San Diego?

http://xenorama.blogspot.com/2015/07/ultra-comic.html

Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby Rody » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:44 pm

It's a neat read, and it touches on how the manga compares/contrasts to both classic Ultraman and American superheroes.
Rody
Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:02 am

My volume 2 was printed upside down. Is that happening widely?
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:22 pm

^I looked through a copy at my comic shop the other day and yes: printed upside down.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Rody » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:34 pm

My copy is printed fine.

Say, shouldn't we be getting volume 3 soon?
Rody
Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:31 pm

My volume 3 already arrived last week.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:41 am

It's on my Amazon wish list to be released 2/16/16 (in about 11 days), but I suppose some distributors could have shipped it early.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:22 pm

interesting.... Viz's website has the 16-Feb release listed as well, and it isnt available via digital yet either.

Not sure why Diamond sent it out so early
https://41.media.tumblr.com/172aa150254 ... 1_1280.jpg
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:33 pm

Not sure but not out of the realm of impossibility. I got a comic book in store a few months back (one of the Transformers ones from IDW) I think Diamond accidentally shipped a week early, as most websites, including IDW, had the following week as the ship date. But cool for you 8)
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:32 pm

I was just thinking: with the anime adaptation of this series coming to Netflix it'd be cool if Viz published some other Ultraman manga. For instance, you could publish the Ultraman The First manga from '00s (done by the guy who did 3x3 Eyes) which retells the original show and market it as a prequel to the main manga series.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Return to Godzilla in Print