[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Kaijumax (Comic series) • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Kaijumax (Comic series)

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Kaijumax (Comic series)

Postby klen7 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:59 pm

New Giant Monster comic coming out... It's called Kaijumax, which treats a "monster island" like a super max prison with an Ultraman-esque warden. It pays tribute to many classic kaiju including the big guy himself as part of the regularly used slang "Oh my Goj"

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/20 ... -kaijumax/

Courtesy of Robot 6
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Kaijumax (Comic series)

Postby lhb412 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:26 pm

This looks really interesting. I try not to wait for trades, but I may have to pick this up.

Love the way the author came to this material: he adopted an Asian son, saw the Ultraman DVD set and thought his kid would love seeing an Asian hero, flash-forward to many many many rewatches of every episode!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:28 am

i wasn't sold until i read that interview. I'll be sure to report back when i start getting the monthlies
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:06 pm

So Bryan Lee O’Malley (Scott Pilgrim) is doing a variant cover for issue 1.

It's chibi style.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/20 ... ant-cover/
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:04 pm

First issue of this is out. Pretty decent kickoff

We got a kaiju prison story with lots of nods to Godzilla and Ultraman. It’s definitely not a traditional giant monster story, although it may be closer to a traditional prison story. It’s the first chapter so it spends most of its duration introducing the characters and setting the stage. We follow Electrogor, a giant monster that was captured and imprisoned trying to provide for his family. I’m definitely interested to see this series unfold, but the setting, gangs and characters are a good set up for telling more stories other than just Electrogor’s tale, so i could see this universe expanding beyond the protagonist for future arcs. (I would love to see something similar to Brubaker and Phillip’s “Criminal" series with kaiju). In the meantime, the revelation in the final page has me ready for issue 2.

It's planned as 6 issue seasons, the first season will focus on Electogor, and subsequent seasons TBD depending on sales numbers i guess.

They have a letters section (with a review of All Monsters Attack) in the back and invite readers to submit kaiju to appear in future issues

klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:52 pm

Yeah, I was gonna wait for the trade, but if we're getting fun stuff in the letters column I might have to go back on that.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Specium Ray » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:36 am

Oh no, I went to pick up my comics last week and forgot to look for this! Really looking forward to it.
Specium Ray
Godzilla Jr.

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:44 am

Gonna be honest here. I like the little easter eggs and the like, but...I'm not feeling this. :(
The story is kind of okay, but the art isn't doing much for me. I guess I'll see it to the end of the first season or whatever.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:17 am

The art is definitely the weakest aspect of the comic, which sucks because it was originally conceived with Ryan Stegman of God Hates Astronauts and Marvel fame as the artist. Instead the author is also doing the art, and experimenting with digital colorization for the first time. I would LOVED to have seen this done by Stegman.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Return to Godzilla in Print