Godzilla 1998 renamed Zilla? Can we have an answer?

Discuss the 2nd Godzilla film era here! Beam fights, revised versions of classic kaiju, the Heisei era was a mixed bag of fun and controversy!

Moderator: Controllers

Godzilla 1998 renamed Zilla? Can we have an answer?

Postby Legion » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:55 pm

So I keep hearing (usually from brainless kids who believe everything they read on Wikizilla) that Toho legally changed the 1998 Godzilla's name to Zilla.

What the hell is up with this? I've believed for years that "Godzilla 1998" and "Zilla" are two separate monsters and regardless of what certain people think, the Tristar monster is called Godzilla, period. But there are so many people who believe otherwise that it's starting to get ridiculous.

What's the story here?
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Godzilla 1998 renamed Zilla? Can we have an answer?

Postby Benjamin Haines » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:10 pm

The 1998 movie is called Godzilla. The monster in the movie is called Godzilla too. The monster was featured in the television cartoon Godzilla: The Series, still called Godzilla.

The monster later appeared alongside the real Godzilla in Godzilla: Final Wars, this time with the trademarked name of Zilla, as shown in the end credits. The name change reflected the popular and long-held notion that the monster was not, in fact, Godzilla.

Since then, the monster has appeared in the Godzilla: Rulers of Earth comic book from IDW, still called Zilla.

It's just a giant lizard character named Zilla. It used to be named Godzilla. Now its name is Zilla.

The monster in the 1998 movie is still called Godzilla, not Zilla, just as the butchered Led Zeppelin recording that plays over the end credits is rapped by a performer called Puff Daddy, not Diddy. Sometimes names change but that doesn't mean the past is altered.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:29 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:The monster in the 1998 movie is still called Godzilla, not Zilla, just as the butchered Led Zeppelin recording that plays over the end credits is rapped by a performer called Puff Daddy, not Diddy. Sometimes names change but that doesn't mean the past is altered.

XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby ILL GREEN » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:08 am

In Final Wars he was just Zilla because the real Godzilla was present, but like it or not he is Godzilla.

Though because of Final Wars, I think the name is officially Zilla since it has its own logo now that says Zilla with its likeness.
AVAILABLE NOW! ILL GREEN HADOSHI ART FIGURES HANDMADE AND HANDPAINTED!
ILL GREEN
Godzilla Jr.

Postby XvGojira » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:21 am

I still like to think of him as a Godzilla though. He's to Godzlla as George Lazenby is to Bond or Jackie Early Haley is to Freddy Krueger.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:44 am

I will always have a special hatred for Godzilla 98 in my heart. However over the past year I've been seeing a lot of fan artwork reimagining him as spikier, tougher, and more badass than what we got in the movie. If GINO is rebranded as Zilla, then I can live with that. He's the "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" black sheep cousin of the real Godzilla and I am ok with that. I don't think I would even mind if he showed up in a Japanese Godzilla film with a more serious role than a punching bag even.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:05 am

I just call it GINO or Godzilla 98'/the 1998 Godzilla. I just never got on board with the Zilla thing...no matter how official it is nowadays.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:26 am

MekaGojira3k wrote:I just call it GINO or Godzilla 98'/the 1998 Godzilla. I just never got on board with the Zilla thing...no matter how official it is nowadays.

this.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Hybrid Gojira » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:23 am

+1.

GINO. Always GINO.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast
Hybrid Gojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby daikaijusaurus » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:50 am

Hybrid Gojira wrote:+1.

GINO. Always GINO.

I actually like the name GINO for Godzilla98. It has a nice ring to it and fits the character perfectly. I don't like Zilla, it's boring and unimaginative, but if that's his official name for the character then so be it, I don't have a problem with it. But to me it will always be GINO.

And I really enjoyed GINO in the animated series as well as the IDW's Rulers of the Earth. I don't mind at all for GINO appearing in future comics or even Toho movie. As a generic monster he's really not that bad, poor guy just got a bad rap for being mistaken as the real Godzilla :lol:
daikaijusaurus
Godzilla Jr.

Postby ILL GREEN » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:20 pm

Shouldn't it be GINA? It was female.
AVAILABLE NOW! ILL GREEN HADOSHI ART FIGURES HANDMADE AND HANDPAINTED!
ILL GREEN
Godzilla Jr.

Postby daikaijusaurus » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:10 pm

ILL GREEN wrote:Shouldn't it be GINA? It was female.

LOL! GINO was always referred as "he" in both the movie and the animated series. But I do like GINA also :lol:
daikaijusaurus
Godzilla Jr.

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:10 pm

It was a male. It's SPECIFICALLY stated in the movie to be a male. Also, the O in GINO has nothing to do with sex.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby klen7 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:19 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:Also, the O in GINO has nothing to do with sex.
Also, Gina is traditionally a girls name..so you know..jokes man, jokes.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:29 am

klen7 wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:Also, the O in GINO has nothing to do with sex.
Also, Gina is traditionally a girls name..so you know..jokes man, jokes.

Also, your smelly face.

(totally got 'im)
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby H-Man » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:09 pm

"And it's 'Gojira', you moron!"
H-Man
Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:43 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:The 1998 movie is called Godzilla. The monster in the movie is called Godzilla too. The monster was featured in the television cartoon Godzilla: The Series, still called Godzilla.

The monster later appeared alongside the real Godzilla in Godzilla: Final Wars, this time with the trademarked name of Zilla, as shown in the end credits. The name change reflected the popular and long-held notion that the monster was not, in fact, Godzilla.

Since then, the monster has appeared in the Godzilla: Rulers of Earth comic book from IDW, still called Zilla.

It's just a giant lizard character named Zilla. It used to be named Godzilla. Now its name is Zilla.

The monster in the 1998 movie is still called Godzilla, not Zilla, just as the butchered Led Zeppelin recording that plays over the end credits is rapped by a performer called Puff Daddy, not Diddy. Sometimes names change but that doesn't mean the past is altered.

Pretty much what Ben said.

Toho has retconned the creature's name to being Zilla. However (obviously) the 1998 film will always be Godzilla, and an interpretation of the Godzilla character. Its more or less Toho trying to make up for the mistake and alter history.

They now have the monster copyrighted and trademarked as Zilla and they include him in their monster roster when they loan monsters out to licensers like IDW. The name Zilla, and the monster design are actually Toho's property. It isn't just a nickname, its how the monster is copyrighted and sold now. The monster's copyright was modified and anything involving that creature that was made after 2004 refers to him as "Zilla"- He even has the trademark stamp from Toho with the name "Zilla" on it (that same stamp used to exist with the name "Godzilla)")

They have officially retconned it to be the monster's official name.

In 2005, Toho modified the copyright for the monster to no longer be called "Godzilla" but instead "Zilla"- They cancelled the old copyright and the corresponding icons- You can find that on the trademark office's website:

http://www.trademarkia.com/godzilla-75423143.html
http://www.trademarkia.com/logo-75503990.html
http://www.trademarkia.com/logo-75503991.html
http://www.trademarkia.com/zilla-76669021.html

And finally, here's what Matt Frank, who has dealt with Toho in getting the rights to Zilla for IDW had to say:

http://godzilla.wikia.com/wiki/File:Zil ... antART.png

So Toho makes no distinction between the 1998 monster and the one in GFW, comic books, etc except for the title of the 1998 film.

If Toho had the power, they would probably re-edit the 1998 film to be called "Zilla" or something. But as Ben said, there's nothing they can do about that, no matter what trademark hoola-hoops they go through.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby H-Man » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:20 pm

MouthForWar wrote:He even has the trademark stamp from Toho with the name "Zilla" on it (that same stamp used to exist with the name "Godzilla)")

The new Zilla icon and the 1998 Godzilla icon are different. (The 1998 icon was once again used on Sony's DVD re-release of the Emmerich film, by the way. What year was that, 2008?)

H-Man
Godzilla

Postby Jorzilla » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:56 pm

GINO in my book. I am slightly irked that the Zilla nomenclature has kind of legitimized him in Toho canon. You'll see a lot more of the younger crowd say things along the line of (paraphrasing multiple views): "The 1998 Godzilla movie is terrible as a Godzilla film, but as a ZILLA film it's pretty enjoyable."

I mean I get that if it was your first Godzilla movie it's going to have some nostalgic factor. That being said, the name "Zilla" COMPLETELY washes over the sheer amount of disappointment and missed opportunity this film encapsulates. I mean, compared to Star Wars Episode 1, Godzilla 1998 is more soul crushing in terms of impact to a Fandom.

Now it's just, "Zilla is a pretty cool design guys, I love how fast and agile he is!"

...no he's not, he f**king sucks and he will always be Godzilla In Name Only in my book. That's the best way I can manifest my disdain for this character.
Jorzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby tbeasley » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:05 pm

MouthForWar wrote:If Toho had the power, they would probably re-edit the 1998 film to be called "Zilla" or something.

I doubt they'd do that. They'd risk losing money. No one knows what a Zilla is.

I don't see what's so hard to get about this, the creatures look more or less they same but they're copyrighted as two different characters. Does Kiryu make the Showa or Heisei iterations Kiryu, too? Is the 1956 Rodan now Fire Rodan? Toho's done this with a lot of monsters, making distinctive icons for different versions, but for some reason people lock onto Godzilla 98/Zilla. The US movie/cartoon version is Godzilla, the one seen with the REAL Godzilla in Final Wars and now comics is Zilla.

We'll never see the character carry standalone stories again like in 98, so it'll probably be known as Zilla from now on, but the creature seen in the 98 film and series is Godzilla. There's no going back on that.
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.
tbeasley
Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:11 pm

But they AREN'T copyrighted as two different characters. Toho cancelled the 1998 copyright icons in 2005, and put a new one ("Zilla") into effect. See the links I posted to the Copyright Office website.

Matt Frank, who helped get the licensing for IDW said that Toho considers all iterations of the creature to be Zilla, the only distinction being the title of the 1998 film.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby angilas » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:49 pm

MouthForWar wrote:But they AREN'T copyrighted as two different characters. Toho cancelled the 1998 copyright icons in 2005, and put a new one ("Zilla") into effect. See the links I posted to the Copyright Office website.

Matt Frank, who helped get the licensing for IDW said that Toho considers all iterations of the creature to be Zilla, the only distinction being the title of the 1998 film.

No, they cancelled/abandoned the trademark. As far as I know you can't cancel a copyright. Hell you dont even have to apply for a copyright to own one. Sony owns a copyright to the film they made as do Delvin and Emmeric for the rest of their lives plus 70 years or whatever. That trademark is only in effect as long as they use and don't abandon it. But it identifies the character. The copyright identifies the work/film.
(also not to be a douche, because you did quite a bit in pulling all that for someone who doesnt work in IP, but the "trademark office" [uspto] website showing their abandonment is http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe? ... 2jogqx.5.1 )

And the film will be called Godzilla. Now the character in the film Toho can be retconned to Zilla. Though more or less a sly joke both GMK and GFW incorporate GINO by reference.
I prefer the name GINO as well, but it doesnt translate outside of English with that acronym. I'm not really sure that the trademark is saying what you think it is, that it references the movie monster being cancelled directly or the animated one being called that since they also cancelled this symbol at the same time: http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield ... ogqx.14.39 , maybe just because they wanted to discontinue licensing the rights to the logo or who knows...

As far as it not being Godzilla, its obvious they could have called it a remake of the Beast from 20k fathoms and no one known the difference. The animated version complicates things by making it more in spirit of the original. It was a decent movie if you watch it and pretend its not called Godzilla. Not horrible but entertaining, even if it is a ripoff of JP et al. If you never heard of it and it was called Clangus, and you turned on your tv one night, don't act like you'd have hated it. I just don't like how they tried to make Godzilla into a wuss. Still it is what it is, at least Edwards is doing what he can to atone for TriStar's sins (and they did a bit too with their pushing of the true Godzilla's films and merchandise and G2k in theatres).
angilas
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:23 am

angilas wrote:
MouthForWar wrote:But they AREN'T copyrighted as two different characters. Toho cancelled the 1998 copyright icons in 2005, and put a new one ("Zilla") into effect. See the links I posted to the Copyright Office website.

No, they cancelled/abandoned the trademark. As far as I know you can't cancel a copyright. Hell you dont even have to apply for a copyright to own one. Sony owns a copyright to the film they made as do Delvin and Emmeric for the rest of their lives plus 70 years or whatever. That trademark is only in effect as long as they use and don't abandon it. But it identifies the character. The copyright identifies the work/film.

I guess I should have said "Trademark icons" to be more accurate. But still, as you said yourself, the old trademark for the character is no more. I'm more or less going off of what Matt Frank had to say about how Toho makes no distinctions between the 1998 creature and the other incarnations of him and consider them all to be "Zilla" these days, despite the title of the 1998 movie. He's dealt with Toho directly in regards to that so I take his word for it.

angilas wrote:(also not to be a douche, because you did quite a bit in pulling all that for someone who doesnt work in IP, but the "trademark office" [uspto] website showing their abandonment is http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe? ... 2jogqx.5.1 )

MouthForWar
Controller

Postby mbozzo » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:08 pm

The creature that attacked New York in 1998 was mistaken called Godzilla by us American. The second creature was also called by that name. He acted more like the real Godzilla than his parent did. It wasn't until the real Godzilla came back that the creature was renamed Zilla, and that name stick. :mrgreen:

P.S. The 2014 creature has more right to the Godzilla name than the 1998 creature did. :D
Last edited by mbozzo on Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbozzo
Godzilla

Postby The Great MM » Sun May 01, 2016 8:01 pm

Any fan that actually believes Toho doesn't consider the 1998 movie and its creature "Godzilla" is abso-damn-lutely delusional.
The Great MM
Godzilla

Next

Return to The Heisei Era: 1984-1995