Upcoming U.S. Anime Releases - 2019

From Tetsujin 28 to Akira, from Macross to Miyazaki, there is an incredibly wide range of Japanese animated movies and TV shows to suit almost everyone's particular tastes! Discuss the wide world of anime and manga here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:08 am

Cowboy Bebop on BD is an automatic buy.

If Big O, Escaflowne, Code Geass, and My Hime are released on BD, I'll get those as well.

All I need left for non-Gundam stuff is Wolf's Rain.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:33 am

Well hopefully that means that s.ifr Mai Otome thing gets dubbed.

This is great news for people that may have missed out on these great titles.
Plus it means the scalpers on Amazon or EBay won't have much of a mark-up.

Personally I wonder if Sentai will get The Girl Who Lept Through Space dubbed?
When I borrowed it from the library a few months back, I could easily imagine several Bang Zoom voices doing it (Sentai has used them before).
Especially Johny Yong Bosch as Leopard (his Lalouch voice).
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:28 pm

Shout will release the Danguard Ace compilation movies as well.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:52 pm

I was hoping/figuring Danguard Ace would be next. I dont think any of the others will be released however since most of them are under different liscense (Capt. Harlock, Fist of the North Star, Kitaro etc...)
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:20 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convent ... pan-expo/6

Viz is going to be releasing Ranma 1/2 in High Definition on Neon Alley this fall.
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:33 am

Fans of UC Gundam rejoice! Daisuki has a liscensed channel and is showing gundam ZZ subbed. Hopefully this will finally get a legit DVD release in North America. They are up to episode 14. The dates for adding episodes is a little sporadic, but hopefully the entire series will eb up soon.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... DdWia9j9RS
Last edited by O.Supreme on Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:24 pm

O.Supreme wrote:Fans of UC Gundam rejoice! Daisuki has a liscensed channel and is showing ZZ Gundam subbed. Hopefully this will finally get a legit DVD release in North America. They are up to episode 14. The dates for adding episodes is a little sporadic, but hopefully the entire series will eb up soon.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... DdWia9j9RS

This is not anime.

Oh yeah, and can they make the subtitles any smaller?

At least they're not interrupting the episodes every 5 minutes with commercials.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:33 pm

Dr Kain wrote:This is not anime

:? Uh, yes it most certainly is.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:08 pm

O.Supreme wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:This is not anime

:? Uh, yes it most certainly is.

Yeah...I don't know how it could not be anime...it's pretty clearly Gundam ZZ.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gman2887 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:55 pm

Dr Kain wrote:This is not anime.

Is it that time of year where Kain goes crazy again? I thought he had to see his shadow before fall or something...
Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby Shonokin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:07 pm

Kain isn't crazy... the theme song to Gundam ZZ starts with the missive "Anime Ja Nai".

Anyway, the boxed set to Space Pirate Captain Harlock comes out tomorrow. Since it's already available on HULU, Crackle and probably other legit streaming locations, it's too bad there isn't any value-added content to the release. I'll be picking it up anyway.
Shonokin
Monster 01

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:24 pm

Shonokin wrote:Kain isn't crazy... the theme song to Gundam ZZ starts with the missive "Anime Ja Nai".

Ha...ha... OK, that's what I get for not knowing Japanese :oops: . If they subbed the song lyrics I might have got that 8-) .
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

‘Akira’

Postby mr.negativity » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:17 am

CA:
Funimation Announces ‘Akira’ 25th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray/DVD, Including Both English Dubs [Video]

Annie Awards to honor animator Katsuhiro Otomo for career achievement
The Japanese artist known for the groundbreaking 'Akira' is considered among the world's most influential animators.

Shuhei Morita talks ‘Possessions’
A weary traveler finds shelter in a shrine for old tools, appeasing angry spirits with his expert repairs.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Upcoming U.S. Anime Releases - 2013

Postby EricDent » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:04 pm

I am pretty sure that Akira is out by now, I have seen several copies of it at work.
All say "25th Anniversary" on them.
Though they are DVD, and not Combo Packs.
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Re: Upcoming U.S. Anime Releases - 2014

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:44 am

EricDent wrote:I am pretty sure that Akira is out by now, I have seen several copies of it at work.
All say "25th Anniversary" on them.
Though they are DVD, and not Combo Packs.

You're correct sir.

Namco Bandai brings Short Peace compilation to western shores

SHORT PEACE AND RANKO TSUKIGIME'S LONGEST DAY ANNOUNCED FOR THE AMERICAS
Experience the Fifth and Final Part of the Highly Acclaimed Japanese Animation SHORT PEACE Project
SAN JOSE, Calif., (January 30, 2014) – Namco Bandai Games America Inc. today announced that SHORT PEACE and Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day will be coming to the Americas in spring 2014 exclusively for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. SHORT PEACE is the highly acclaimed anime movie compilation featuring works by legendary anime artist Katsuhiro Otomo and features POSSESSIONS, which was recently nominated for an Academy Award® for best Animated Short Film, along with three other short films titled COMBUSTIBLE, GAMBO, and A Farewell to Weapons. The fifth and final part of the SHORT PEACE project, Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day, is a 2D side-scrolling action game directed by Goichi Suda (Suda51) of Grasshopper Manufacture and developed by Crispy's Inc. who also developed the well praised action game Tokyo Jungle™. Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day introduces a whole new storyline featuring stunning animation, thrilling gameplay, and psychedelic visuals that will draw players into Ranko Tsukigime's story.

By day, Ranko Tsukigime is an average high school girl who lives alone, but at night she is a deadly hitman who deftly assassinates her targets. One fateful night as Ranko heads out to eliminate her next target, a demonic enemy organization creeps up and threatens the lives of Ranko and her friends. Players will put their reflexes and quick judgment to the test in the fast-paced platforming gameplay that will have them blazing through dangerous, obstacle-ridden environments to flee from an ominous enemy looming close behind.

With Suda51 and Crispy's Inc. at the development helm, fans can look forward to a fantastical conclusion to the SHORT PEACE collection on par with Katsuhiro Otomo's previous animation masterpieces. Katsuhiro Otomo is widely celebrated as an animation visionary who is most known for his popular cult film Akira, along with hit Japanese anime movies such as Steamboy and Memories. The SHORT PEACE movie and game project boasts unique visual artistry and masterful storylines that have touched audiences around the world.

“POSSESSIONS is a piece in which I realized that I was completely satisfied with myself since the staff and I honestly poured our souls into the project,” said Shuhei Morita, Director of POSSESSIONS . “We are so glad that POSSESSIONS has drawn enough international attention to earn an Oscar® nomination and we are looking forward to the final awards ceremony.”

SHORT PEACE and Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day are scheduled to launch in the Americas in spring 2014 for the PlayStation®3 system. For more information on Namco Bandai Games America Inc. game titles and products, please visit http://namcobandaigames.com/home.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Upcoming U.S. Anime Releases - 2013

Postby EricDent » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:30 am

OK looking in the Blu-Ray anime section of our store, I saw we also have several copies of Akira in that Combo Pack you mentioned.
Guess an anime movie from way back in 1988 isn't as popular as it once was.

BTW isn't it kinda ironic that Tokyo actually is going to have the Olympics in the year that they said they would have them in this film?
Wonder if they will invent a new sport of yelling each other's names to co inside with that...
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Possessions

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:47 am

Immersed in Movies: Talking with the Shorts Oscar Nominees
Bill Desowitz wrote:Possessions

How is this personal for you?

It is because I was born and raised in Nara, the birth place of Japanese culture. I was interested in nature, culture, history, folk stories, and tradition there. "Tsukumo-gami" are things that existed for a long time that it develops a self-awareness and soul. This is a unique idea that things have souls. For example, when you lose an important thing on your desk, without becoming frustrated you should think of it this way. "It is trying to come back to me!" Then you won't get so frustrated or you'll be happy when you see them again.

Why does it resonate?

This is very Japanese way of thinking that every possession has its own soul. But at the various film festivals, I felt certain that the feeling is acceptable to the people in the world. We didn't know how to translate the words, such as "Itadakimasu." "Gokuro-sama"(these are appreciative words) and "Tsukumo" (Japanese title of Possessions). I asked my close friend from America who knows Japanese culture and language. I talked to him on the phone and he understood the small nuance and translated the words for me.

And the look of colors and textures?

"Stuff" cannot be ignored, so I used the sounds such as "Ding,: "Bang," and "crack," and expressed its presence. I also tried to express their reality like mass and depth using texture and patterns. At such time, I've got an idea when my wife bought "Chiyo-gami" (Japanese paper with colored figures) for our child. Then we used "Washi"(Japanese paper) or "Chiyo-gami" for all the characters.

Talk about playing with the traditional ghost story.

I believed that the challenge of creating Japanese folk stories as a style of entertainment could only be done in by short film. In case of short films, there are two ways of creating them. One is to have a large volume of ideas so that it overflows from the plate or to concentrate and simplify the story so that it will fit on the small plate. Possessions is the latter, we made it very simple, nothing extra is added. I'm attracted to flashy styles such as "Hyakki-yagyo" or "Utagawa-Kuniyoshi," because I really like Japanese ghosts. But the time format is too short for that, and it meant I can’t create the Japanese ghosts that I imagined. It was very hard to make it short, but I think I was able show the entertainment that is told through Japanese folk stories. It would be great if I can be a trigger to the start of a boom for original anime like those times.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:10 pm

Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Knights of Sidonia

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:18 am

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:33 pm

http://shop.warnerarchive.com/product/m ... y=ourPicks

Warner Archive just released Magic Boy, a super-early anime film. It's the U.S. release version (first anime released here?), which (according to the internet) is actually a pretty faithful and direct adaptation, even leaving most of the Japanese songs in place.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:48 pm

Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:59 am

​Gundam Is Coming To America. All Of It.
Rob Bricken wrote:Bandai Japan is partnering with anime distributor Right Stuf to bring out the entire mecha anime franchise, including Turn A, Gundam ZZ, The Origin and a few other versions that never made it to America before. The original 1979 Gundam series and Turn A will lead the charge with a spring 2015 release.

[Via The Verge]
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Gman2887 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:43 am

mr.negativity wrote:​Gundam Is Coming To America. All Of It.
Rob Bricken wrote:Bandai Japan is partnering with anime distributor Right Stuf to bring out the entire mecha anime franchise, including Turn A, Gundam ZZ, The Origin and a few other versions that never made it to America before. The original 1979 Gundam series and Turn A will lead the charge with a spring 2015 release.

[Via The Verge]

I will not confirm or deny tearing up over this wonderful information.
Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:56 pm

According to Fandom Post (which I recently joined) Sentai is getting Big O Seasons 1 & 2.
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:25 pm

Can you only buy Right Stuf's releases through their site?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Anime & Manga