New IDW Godzilla: Rulers of Earth June 2013

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

New IDW Godzilla: Rulers of Earth June 2013

Postby O.Supreme » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:09 am

Looks Awesome 8-)

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=579 ... 11b2c8e2e5

Chris Mowry wrote: Well, the news is out. IDW's new series to be released in June. Matt Frank and I are developing the story. He's on the art, I'm on the keyboard. It's going to be one hell of a ride and I think something that you guys (and gals) are really going to dig.

And check out that damn cover! Sweet

Also. Congrats to IDW on officially being the first comic book publisher to have a Godzilla series go beyond the 2 year/24 issue mark. I know it was not one series, but collectively. Thank you.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:17 am

Interesting. Also, a good idea way to salvage the main continuity.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:35 am

Well, it sounds really cool. Hopefully they can deliver this time. I just feel like they've made that "We're bringing new monsters to the table" argument before, and it seems like we just get the usuals, with nothing but cameos for the new faces.

I like the idea of there being continuity with the other series as well. I know some of the characters were less than stellar, but I personally think it would be cool to recognize some of the other series in the same universe.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:47 am

Well the good news is that Chris Mowry is writing and Matt Frank is on art duty... Mowry gave us Legend's 4 which did a good job establishing characters and having a large multi-monster multi-page fight in a single issue... so i am optimistic... also Matt Frank on art will make even slow issues a bit more enjoyable... plus he can definitely draw the action well as we saw in Legends 1... So i am very encouraged by this news. :D
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby gforever » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:37 pm

Image credits goes to Gargantuan Gargantua

This is awesome news and so glad to hear Matt Frank and Chris Mowry are on board! These guys plus Bob Eggleton and Art Adams for the incentive cover art are the dream team to make a quality Godzilla comic. Thanks IDW and Toho for making this happen!
<G-FoReVeR>
gforever
Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:01 pm

here is a link to a larger version of the promo image... look at that Varan!!! it makes me excited... and it looks to be teasing something interesting with Destoroyah as well

http://i.imgur.com/4yzIgPq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GImetst.jpg
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:02 pm

This sounds great. Individual, episodic stories set within a singular universe but otherwise self-contained, focusing on particular monsters in the style of Godzilla: Legends. There's a lot of creative potential there, and it's being written by Chris Mowry (Legends #4) and illustrated by Matt Frank (Legends #1).

This is good news for the ongoing series. I'm interested in what IDW will do next with their Godzilla miniseries. It would be cool to see James Stokoe do something else after The Half Century War, and I'd still like to see a continuation of Legends #3 by Mike Raicht and Tony Parker.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:20 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:I'd still like to see a continuation of Legends #3 by Mike Raicht and Tony Parker.
That would be awesome
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:45 pm

^Agreed. I'm hoping this new series might explore that in one issue. I'd love to see a story with Showa MG.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:03 pm

O.Supreme wrote:^Agreed. I'm hoping this new series might explore that in one issue. I'd love to see a story with Showa MG.

Well this new series is set within the universe of KOM and the Ongoing so it probably won't explore Issue 3 of Legends unless that somehow is added to this continuity.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby RaymondBurr » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:31 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:
O.Supreme wrote:^Agreed. I'm hoping this new series might explore that in one issue. I'd love to see a story with Showa MG.

Well this new series is set within the universe of KOM and the Ongoing so it probably won't explore Issue 3 of Legends unless that somehow is added to this continuity.

I don't think there is any element of Godzilla:Legends #3 that would exclude it from the Ongoing Continuity, is there? It would just need to be put into context I think.
"...WILL. IT. WORK?"
RaymondBurr
Godzilla Jr.

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:36 pm

RaymondBurr wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:

I don't think there is any element of Godzilla:Legends #3 that would exclude it from the Ongoing Continuity, is there? It would just need to be put into context I think.

Not really, but there's nothing tying it to the ongoing continuity.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby RaymondBurr » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:57 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:
RaymondBurr wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:

That leaves it wide open for the new series to play with. As long as there is nothing excluding it, it could be incorporated by any new story.
"...WILL. IT. WORK?"
RaymondBurr
Godzilla Jr.

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:10 pm

RaymondBurr wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:
RaymondBurr wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:

That leaves it wide open for the new series to play with. As long as there is nothing excluding it, it could be incorporated by any new story.

Yeah...but all that I am saying is that it's not an obvious choice. I feel like if they were to incorporate it, it'd be much later. It just doesn't seem like it'd be a priority for this new series. Honestly I don't think the issue was all that great enough to bother trying to work it into the continuity.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:15 pm

^ It's probably my favorite single issue from IDW, but i think i would rather see it explored in its own continuity rather than be pulled into the KoM/SelfTitled/RoE continuity
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:20 pm

klen7 wrote:^ It's probably my favorite single issue from IDW, but i think i would rather see it explored in its own continuity rather than be pulled into the KoM/SelfTitled/RoE continuity

That makes more sense, too. That's why I don't really buy seeing it being retroactively included.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:44 pm

klen7 wrote:^ It's probably my favorite single issue from IDW, but i think i would rather see it explored in its own continuity rather than be pulled into the KoM/SelfTitled/RoE continuity

Agreed. I'd like Raicht and Parker to get their own five-issue miniseries.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:00 pm

From CBR:
EXCLUSIVE: IDW Publishing Solicitations for June, 2013

Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #1—SPOTLIGHT
Chris Mowry (w) • Matt Frank (a & c)

In the wake of the climactic conclusion of Godzilla #13 comes a brand new series! Dozens of new monsters have risen from the depth and are staking out their own territory, regardless of humanity's political borders! A war of dominance beings... will Godzilla end up on top? First he'll have to beat a new upstart... Zilla!

FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Expected in-store date: 6/19/13

Variant Covers: Bob Eggleton variant cover!

This series introduces hordes of new Toho Monsters, most never before seen in comic books!
Fan-favorite creators Chris Mowry and Matt Frank return for their biggest project yet!
More focus on Toho's monsters... and monster fights!
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:31 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Awesome.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:37 pm

More abuse for GINO :lol:
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:41 pm

GINO is such a punchline I almost feel sorry for him.

Almost.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:43 pm

i dont think i have ever seen a Matt Frank Gino/Zilla... anyone know if he has done one before other than the little head on G-Fan 100?
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:03 pm

He actually seems to like drawing GINO a lot.

Isn't it GINO that's on the sign he always has at cons?

MouthForWar
Controller

Postby kiryugoji04 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:09 pm

klen7 wrote:i dont think i have ever seen a Matt Frank Gino/Zilla... anyone know if he has done one before other than the little head on G-Fan 100?

There's a Zilla NEO, I believe.

MouthForWar wrote:He actually seems to like drawing GINO a lot.

Isn't it GINO that's on the sign he always has at cons?

No, that's just a stylized Tyrannosaurus. Matt just loves drawing monsters with underbites.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:41 am

This was on another forum, but I thought it was relevant. After being burned initially on issue #1 of the last 3 Godzilla series, I dont want to have to go on any more scavenger hunts. I want to guaranty issue #1 will be at my local shop on the day of release. I will definitely place my order on my next visit.

Hi guys, Godzilla Editor Bobby Curnow here, just wanted to share some thoughts on "Rulers of Earth" Excuse the double post from the IDW forums. But it's important!

First off, Godzilla fans seem PSYCHED and that's great to hear. We'll need your enthusiasm, and support. Here's why:

Chris and Matt are well-respected (beloved???) in G-fan circles. But here's an important thing: they are virtual unknowns in the greater comic book community. If you're a comic book shop owner, (i.e., the person responsible for ORDERING comics) you're probably not going to recognize their names. Every other Godzilla book has been helmed by established comics pros. So this book is going to be a big unknown, and a gamble for many of the people ordering the books. So how well it will do is in question.

That's the main reason you haven't seen longer stories from Chris and Matt before now. In terms of sales, it's a very risky proposition. I've spent the better part of a year trying to convince folks here at IDW that they can pull it off. And I sincerely believe they WILL. This book is going to be tons of fun.

But here's the thing: We'll need YOUR support like never before. This is a Godzilla book by fans, for fans. It will be up to you guys to support this book. It's really important that you tell your local comic book shop directly to ORDER THIS book! Tell them specifically that YOU want to buy a copy (or three!). Spread the word to anyone you know who digs Godzilla— or just fun monster stories in general. We'll provide ordering codes as time goes on, but for right now, just spreading the word is VERY important!

It's awesome that everyone is excited, you SHOULD be! But at the same time, don't take this book for granted. Don't assume your comic book shop will have it! This series will last as long as the numbers support it. It's in the readers hands!

Okay, that's it! Can't wait to get the book in your hands!
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Next

Return to Godzilla in Print