New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Discuss Movies and Soundtracks available in different formats, including the latest releases on Blu-Ray. As per Board policy, No Bootleg Discussions please!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby The Real McCoy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:36 pm

I pretty much figured they were, I was just ever hopeful. I want to buy it, but if the subtitle sync is as bad as people say it is, I don't know if I want to.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:49 pm

^Haven't gotten round to watching the Gamera 3 disc yet, but supposedly the subtitle errors for the feature amount to a half dozen or so noticeable flubs but don't really impede watchability - the special features subs, however, are entirely out of sync.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:53 pm

lhb412 wrote:^Haven't gotten round to watching the Gamera 3 disc yet, but supposedly the subtitle errors for the feature amount to a half dozen or so noticeable flubs but don't really impede watchability - the special features subs, however, are entirely out of sync.

Forgive my idiocy; so that means the movie isn't as bad as some say it is? Because I really am not worried about the special features; I mean, I wouldn't mind them being correct, but I'd rather have the subs in the movie be reliable than the special features.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:00 pm

I dunno, the subs for the movie sound REALLY bothersome from what I've heard and I don't buy the argument that some people have used that we've seen these movies enough that it's not a big deal. Most of the time I'm watching the Gamera trilogy, it's with someone new to the genre or films that I'm introducing it to and I want them to be able to read ALL the lines.

And no, the dub is not an option.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:23 pm

The Real McCoy wrote:
lhb412 wrote:^Haven't gotten round to watching the Gamera 3 disc yet, but supposedly the subtitle errors for the feature amount to a half dozen or so noticeable flubs but don't really impede watchability - the special features subs, however, are entirely out of sync.

Forgive my idiocy; so that means the movie isn't as bad as some say it is? Because I really am not worried about the special features; I mean, I wouldn't mind them being correct, but I'd rather have the subs in the movie be reliable than the special features.

Like I said: I haven't watched it yet, but from the descriptions I've read the subs for the movie are by and large readable and understandable despite a few glaring flubs, while the special features' out-of-sync titles make following along very hard.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:11 pm

Sorry about that, I didn't read carefully enough.

Anyway, I just bought the Media Blasters Gamera The Brave disc. Now my Gamera collection is complete. For now, anyway.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:35 pm

The Real McCoy wrote:Sorry about that, I didn't read carefully enough.

Anyway, I just bought the Media Blasters Gamera The Brave disc. Now my Gamera collection is complete. For now, anyway.

Hopefully you like that film and hopefully we haven't set your hopes up too high for it...just remember, it IS a kid's film. Either way, let us know what you think of it!
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:40 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:
The Real McCoy wrote:Sorry about that, I didn't read carefully enough.

Hopefully you like that film and hopefully we haven't set your hopes up too high for it...just remember, it IS a kid's film. Either way, let us know what you think of it!

Dude, I'm a Showa Gamera film fanboy. I'm sure it won't have green and purple blood squirting all over the place, but if Gamera has a bunch of kids chasing him around in this film, I think I'll be fine. :lol:
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:20 pm

The Real McCoy wrote:I'm sure it won't have green and purple blood squirting all over the place...

It does, actually. And also, I would say The Brave is pretty much better than all the Showa Gamera films I've seen barring Barugon. But that's me. :P
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:21 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:
The Real McCoy wrote:I'm sure it won't have green and purple blood squirting all over the place...

It does, actually. And also, I would say The Brave is pretty much better than all the Showa Gamera films I've seen barring Barugon. But that's me. :P

I'd say it's better than even Barugon.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:30 pm

Yeah, I might be inclined to agree but Barugon sucked me in like no other Showa Gamera film has been able to do so I dunno!
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:43 pm

Well, I've seen basically nothing but positive reviews for the film, so I'm sure I'll be happy. I'm gonna miss the trademark roar though.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:54 pm

The Real McCoy wrote:Well, I've seen basically nothing but positive reviews for the film, so I'm sure I'll be happy. I'm gonna miss the trademark roar though.

That part kills me!!!! It's almost perfect, except that darned roar isn't Gamera!!!! GAH!!!!
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:25 am

Why the hell would they do that? It makes no sense. At least all the times they re-invented Godzilla's roar it sounded vaguely the same. :? Anyway, I'm hyped for this and Iron King. The only bad thing is that I'm going to be glued to the window waiting for the mail truck all week. I need to get a job...
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:27 am

I agree that the roar is bothersome, but the rest of the movie is so good that it more than makes up for it.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:15 pm

From Amazon:

Image Image Image

And remember when I said the Barnes and Noble Criterion sale was like a holiday for me?

Image Image
Image Image
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:52 pm

Blu Ray
Yojimbo/Sanjuro set
Seven Samurai
Destroy All Monsters

DVD
Kwaidan
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:21 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:Blu Ray
Yojimbo/Sanjuro set
Seven Samurai
Destroy All Monsters

DVD
Kwaidan

All fantastic selections. I actually had the local B&N order Kwaidan for me so I should be getting that soon as well. I haven't seen it in years, but its a damn good flick and one of the few horror anthologies where every story is good.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:25 pm

Love Kwaidan. Waiting for Criterion to release the Blu Ray before I buy it, though. They seem devoted to putting their entire catalog in HD, but I know it may be a few years wait (This also holds for some of their other films, like Spirit of the Beehive).
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:41 pm

lhb412 wrote:Love Kwaidan. Waiting for Criterion to release the Blu Ray before I buy it, though. They seem devoted to putting their entire catalog in HD, but I know it may be a few years wait (This also holds for some of their other films, like Spirit of the Beehive).

See, last I heard, Criterion aren't making it a priority to put their whole collection on Blu-Ray, only certain films that they have found better elements for or had early and/or now unsatisfactory releases from them. They are mostly focused on putting their newer acquisitions on BD. Although a Kwaidan release certainly wouldn't be out of the question (it was an older release and was pretty bare bones, so it would be begging for a re-release.) Still, I wouldn't hold my breath for anything. Red Beard is the one I've been waiting for. With the half off sale, Kwaidan is only $15... that's good enough for me!
Last edited by MouthForWar on Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby gila-monster » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:36 am

Definitely a good call on Kwaidan. The last story is my favourite, and probably the strangest. I suggest Onibaba too if you haven't seen that.

I recently ordered Kuroneko (DVD) and Destroy all Monsters (DVD). I can play Blu-Rays on my PS3 but DVDs are nicer to my wallet.
gila-monster
Godzilla Jr.

Postby king_ghidorah » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:19 am

MouthForWar wrote:
lhb412 wrote:Love Kwaidan. Waiting for Criterion to release the Blu Ray before I buy it, though. They seem devoted to putting their entire catalog in HD, but I know it may be a few years wait (This also holds for some of their other films, like Spirit of the Beehive).

See, last I heard, Criterion aren't making it a priority to put their whole collection on Blu-Ray, only certain films that they have found better elements for or had early and/or now unsatisfactory releases from them. They are mostly focused on putting their newer acquisitions on BD. Although a Kwaidan release certainly wouldn't be out of the question (it was an older release and was pretty bare bones, so it would be begging for a re-release.) Still, I wouldn't hold my breath for anything. Red Beard is the one I've been waiting for. With the half off sale, Kwaidan is only $15... that's good enough for me!

I've been waiting for it too, but just said screw it...Kwaidan is the best "ghost story" movie from Japan I think.

I am waiting to see if they release Ikiru on blu ray....I love that movie, one of my faves of Kurosawa and I know as soon as I pick it up on dvd they will announce it on blu ray.
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:22 am

Per suggestions of a thread I made on another message board, I went to Barnes and Noble today to see if they had any Toho/Kurosawa titles, and I was blown away. I had no idea how many of these were so readily available. A lot I saw there I can get better deals off of the internet for, but to see all those great titles there made me happy, because now I have a place to go if I want it right now (which happens often). They were having a fifty percent off sale, and I walked out with The Hidden Fortress (1958) and Rashomon (1950). I know Rashomon isn't Toho, but it's Kurosawa, and that's part of what I'm into right now, so I'm happy.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:43 am

The Real McCoy wrote:Per suggestions of a thread I made on another message board, I went to Barnes and Noble today to see if they had any Toho/Kurosawa titles, and I was blown away. I had no idea how many of these were so readily available. A lot I saw there I can get better deals off of the internet for, but to see all those great titles there made me happy, because now I have a place to go if I want it right now (which happens often). They were having a fifty percent off sale, and I walked out with The Hidden Fortress (1958) and Rashomon (1950). I know Rashomon isn't Toho, but it's Kurosawa, and that's part of what I'm into right now, so I'm happy.

If you're willing to sacrifice the special features aspect, Criterion also have "Essential Arthouse" editions (these are featureless, cheaper releases of some films) of Throne of Blood, Ikiru, and Hidden Fortress and Rashomon (which you already bought). If you get half off, you could probably get those for about $8 right now.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby The Real McCoy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:08 pm

It's funny you should mention that, because my copy of The Hidden Fortress is the Essential Art House edition. Which kind of stinks, in a way. Recently, I've been listening to a lot of commentaries; I just finished the commentary on Seven Samurai, and it gave me a lot of neat info, which I will be using to review the film with. I haven't listened to Rahsomon yet; I wanted to watch it without first. But I really did want to hear the commentary for Fortress. Is that not the film that inspired Star Wars?
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Daikaiju Home Media Releases