New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Discuss Movies and Soundtracks available in different formats, including the latest releases on Blu-Ray. As per Board policy, No Bootleg Discussions please!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:18 pm

[DaiKamonohashi - Kiryugoji04 - Kaiju Hipster - Jared P. Foust]
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:03 pm

MouthForWar
Controller

Postby The Shadow » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:11 pm

I need to pick up some more classic Doctor Who. I missed the last round of sales at Barnes & Noble -- hopefully I'll catch the next half price sale and get a chance to pick up some more sets. Lately I've been eyeing the special edition collection of "Key to Time".

Also, I stopped by Big Lots Saturday and picked up a few DVDs.

-The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T -- a live action movie written by Dr. Seuss himself.

-Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (widescreen) -- the DVDs have been floating around Big Lots for awhile and I didn't have a copy of the movie yet.

-Chuck Jones Collection -- this release includes 'Rikki Tikki Tavi' , 'Mowgli's Brothers', 'The White Seal', 'A Cricket in Times Square', 'Very Merry Cricket', and 'Yankee Doodle Cricket'.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:00 am

Picked up all 3 Mission Impossible films on DVD for 12.00, I've only ever seen the 2nd one, but I've been curious about the Third film since J.J. Abrams did that, and Star Trek and Super 8 impressed me a great deal.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:03 am

I never saw the third one either

after the second one, I had absolutely no interest
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby kiryugoji04 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:20 am

[DaiKamonohashi - Kiryugoji04 - Kaiju Hipster - Jared P. Foust]
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:03 am

The Mind Robber is a great serial -- it's one of the few Troughton's I've had the opportunity of watching.

I stopped by Wal-Mart today to check out a superhero home video end cap that I saw being put up on Monday. It seems to be all Marvel titles.

I picked up a copy of Fantastic Four - World's Greatest Heroes - The Complete First Season for $10.

This was the recent F4 series that was running on Toonami and fell victim to one of those confusing Cartoon Network programming decisions. It was a great show, very entertaining -- no idea what the CN executives were thinking when they dropped it (without even airing the entirety of the single season the show had). I believe that Nicktoons airs re-runs nowadays.
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby Thomas » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:06 pm

This arrived in the mail on Friday! Haven't been able to watch any of it yet :( due to prior engagements.

"The Bird did not look like Rodan, but he sensed it was the spirit of Rodan."

Mike Hanlon (It by Stephen King)
Thomas
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:30 pm

Boom!

and Boom Again!

lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:36 pm

ImageImage
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:33 pm

Thomas wrote:This arrived in the mail on Friday! Haven't been able to watch any of it yet :( due to prior engagements.

I'm working my way through my set as we speak!! :D

Not as good as Kikaider, 01, or Kamen Rider V3 but it's still pretty watchable, and from what I hear this series really picks up steam about half way through and apparently gets very, very dark for a children's tokusatsu show
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:05 am

After quite some time of waiting for the right deal to come around, I finally relented and made the upgrade to Blu-ray yesterday, buying a player/5.1 surround sound system combo which was on clearance for a very reasonable price at Best Buy. They work splendidly and I'm very pleased. And, as my first Blu-ray film purchase...

8-)
Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Thomas » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:57 am

Tyler is that the version of Metropolis that toured through select theaters in the States a year or two back?

I'm working my way through my set as we speak!! Very Happy

Not as good as Kikaider, 01, or Kamen Rider V3 but it's still pretty watchable, and from what I hear this series really picks up steam about half way through and apparently gets very, very dark for a children's tokusatsu show

king-ghodorah I decided on the Inazuman series because I like the suit/costume of Inazuman, so I'm hoping that I like it half as much as I like Kikaider, which was another series that I picked due to the look of the suit/costume. Now that I have two of the releases for Generation Kikaida I'm tempted to pick up the other two that they have available, 01 and V3.

Benjamin you'll have to let us know if the Dexter's Laboratory collection is awesome.

Thomas
Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:00 am

Yes, that's the newly restored complete print of Metropolis that was running in theaters last year. The DVD & Blu-Ray releases came out in November I believe.
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:16 pm

Thomas wrote:Tyler is that the version of Metropolis that toured through select theaters in the States a year or two back?

Yes, and it is AMAZING. :drool:
Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Thomas » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:26 am

Thanks Shadow and Tyler. Metropolis just made the wish list.

Thomas
Godzilla

Postby Green Dragon » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:20 am

I keep meaning to get Metroplis, glad I saw you mention it, thanks, it's going on my shopping list at Amazon, along with The LOTR Extended trilogy. :D

These just in, the Alien and Matrix sets and the Gamera Duo are upgrades from regular DVD:

Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Not blu-ray, but these have either arrived or they're on their way:

Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Now I just need to find the time to watch these. :?
www.facebook.com/wtodd

"...Tibby, I love you my fine little fella, even though you gave the whole family salmonella..."
Green Dragon
Godzilla

Postby Daikaijuu Rojira » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 am

Ordered this recently off Amazon from a distributor in the UK. It's a Region 2 DVD, which means I can only view it on my PC at the moment, but still freakin' awesome! :rockon:

Also picked up these @ Best Buy:

Daikaijuu Rojira
Godzillasaurus

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:17 am

Courtesy of Barnes & Nobles' Buy 2, Get 1 Free DVD/BD sale:

ImageImageImage

I rarely double dip (I have these in the old Harryhausen box sets), but these were already on sale for $12.99, and to buy 2 and get 1 free, I got all three for less than $10 each. I couldn't NOT do it! Argonauts has a brand new commentary with Peter Jackson, which I'm especially looking forward to.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby August » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:45 pm

Thomas wrote:Image

Stick with it — there's a reason why INAZUMAN is still popular and fondly remembered by fans in Japan (check out the documentary) and why JN Productions/Generation Kikaida licensed it in the first place from Toei (which wasn't cheap). It was also popular in Hawaii when broadcast there, back in the day. I hope that JNP/GK will eventually license and issue INAZUMAN FLASH, which is my personal favorite arc of the INAZUMAN story.
August Ragone
Showa GAMERA Special Features Producer
BlogTHE GOOD, THE BAD AND GODZILLA
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:01 pm

Yeah August I've heard from multiple people that Flash is the better of the two series...what's the hold up with that? Did Flash ever play in Hawaii? Is it a rights thing that's keeping if from being released? I've heard some rumors that these haven't exactly sold like hotcakes so there's no drive for releasing any more dvds which certainly seems to make sense as it's been a while since that company has released anything new.

Either way, I'd love to see some more vintage toku releases state side. I've supported every release thus far and will continue to do so.

One of my favortie tv shows ever now is Kikaider...makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside just thinking about that show :D
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby August » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:47 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:Yeah August I've heard from multiple people that Flash is the better of the two series...what's the hold up with that? Did Flash ever play in Hawaii?

Yes, FLASH did play in Hawaii (according to the fans, there). I'll answer your other questions, below...

king_ghidorah wrote:Is it a rights thing that's keeping if from being released? I've heard some rumors that these haven't exactly sold like hotcakes so there's no drive for releasing any more dvds which certainly seems to make sense as it's been a while since that company has released anything new.

Rumors are just rumors... JN Productions is a small company, which mostly specializes in Translation, Subtitling, Production, Authoring, and Mastering — full post production services, which has been in business for about thirty years. They have subtitled countless Japanese television shows for local Hawaii broadcast, as well as for home video release for a number of companies, including Funimation. The founder of the company, Joanne Ninomiya, started at KIKU-TV in Honolulu, and was one of the programmers at the station, and it was she who took a chance on KIKAIDA, which exploded in popularity (even making the pages of Time magazine in 1975).

When Joanne decided to bring back KIKAIDA in 2001, she also decided to issue the series on DVD as well. KIKAIDA sold very strong — because of the local following, where Tokusatsu Heroes, especially Kikaida, are a big part of the pop culture of Hawaii. Even though KIKAIDA and KIKAIDA 01 were also being rebroadcast in Hawaii, the first volume of KIKAIDA sold over 10,000 units in the first month! And while they already had KIKAIDA 01, JNP decided to license KAMEN RIDER V3 for local broadcast and DVD release, first. KAMEN RIDER V3 also had very strong sales, because of the huge fanbase for KAMEN RIDER around the world (even monster-maker, Shinichi Wakasa bought the JNP/GK set of KR V3 over the Toei set — he said to me this past April in LA, "It's much better and cheaper than Toei's!").

KIKAIDA 01 and INAZUMAN have had slower sales than KIKAIDA or KAMEN RIDER V3, but that was to be expected because of their lower profiles outside of Japan (and Asia). So, no one at JNP/GK had any unrealistic expectations — they know that sales will be good over time as the word of mouth on these titles spreads. With that being said, Toei charges a head-spinning amount to license these shows — far more than something like IRON KING or RED BARON from Senko Kikaku — so, this is a factor. Another is that Joanne decided to re-up their license for KR V3, which would have been the budget allotted for another series from Toei, such as INAZUMAN FLASH. Then, there are Toei's restrictions on where they can sell the DVDs, the ripples from the economic crash of 2008, and bottoming out of domestic DVD sales... I can tell you that JNP/GK wishes to to bring us more series, but as I said, they are a small company (about eight employees), so they are very wise and cautious, so these things are just going take some time to develop.

king_ghidorah wrote:Either way, I'd love to see some more vintage toku releases state side. I've supported every release thus far and will continue to do so.

Thank you! :)

king_ghidorah wrote:One of my favortie tv shows ever now is Kikaider...makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside just thinking about that show :D

Me, too! :D
August Ragone
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:02 pm

Thanks for the info August!

The boxed set that JN Productions has released look amazing (both video quality wise and how the actual box art looks), are full of amazing extras so even if it's not Flash that they release, I hope they are able to knock out a few more releases in the near future.

Also, Mouthforwar, those new blu rays you picked up are well worth the double dip man. I have them too (along with the original dvd boxed sets) and the special features and extras on the blu make them far superior. Plus, 20 Million Miles to Earth has the new colorized version which is amazing!! Interesting sidenote: the company that colorized the new blu ray versions of Ultra Q is the same company that colorized 20 Million Miles to Earth, It Came from Beneath the Sea and Earth vs. the Flying Saucers.
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby August » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:09 pm

ImageImage
R2 Box Sets: SPACE G-MEN Complete Series (1960) & TRIPLE FIGHTER (1972) Complete Series
August Ragone
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:23 am

Magnet/Magnolia are one of my favorite film distributors by far. Two more great releases:

Image Image
MouthForWar
Controller

PreviousNext

Return to Daikaiju Home Media Releases