Okay, it is 2010, shouldn't there be a new movie this year?

Discuss the millennium era of Godzilla films! From Godzilla 2000 Millennium to Godzilla Final Wars, these films comprised a wide variety of styles and topics!

Moderator: Controllers

Okay, it is 2010, shouldn't there be a new movie this year?

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:44 pm

They said Final Wars would be the last until 2010, so do you think we'll get a new movie this year?
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Jim Ballard » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:55 pm

No such thing was ever said.

In an interview, producer Tomiyama said there had been a break of 9 years between TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA and GODZILLA (1984), and it would probably be about the same again this time. His words were taken too literally and everyone began saying there would be a new Godzilla movie in 2013.

I think it will be a while yet before Toho bother with another Godzilla movie. There is really no demand.
Jim Ballard
Monster 01

Postby lhb412 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:28 pm

I think 2014, that is late 2014, would be a good time. 60th Anniversary and all, enough time to build some hype.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:14 pm

lhb412 wrote:I think 2014, that is late 2014, would be a good time. 60th Anniversary and all, enough time to build some hype.

This is what I'm hoping for as well
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby DannyBeane » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:52 pm

seems weird how quickly time has moved. Yesterday was the 50th anniversary and tomorrow we are 4 years away from the 60th anniversary
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:59 pm

ALLOSAURZ wrote:seems weird how quickly time has moved. Yesterday was the 50th anniversary and tomorrow we are 4 years away from the 60th anniversary

And yet the Japanese still can't give a rat's ass about Godzilla so...
Last edited by Legion on Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:29 pm

^After the lackluster movies being turned out can you blame them?

Toho needs to put a great deal of effort into their revamp when it comes, with an emphasis on winning over non-fans. They need to do what BBC did when they brought back Doctor Who.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Guardian7 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:51 am

I can't help but agree with lhb412.
Much as I wish I could say otherwise. The last series of films was in most not up to par or maybe not as good as they could have been?

I'll take Godzilla even in a cheesy film. but I am a fan. So I will buy it even if it was a terrible film (I despise the concept of Kiryu for example... but I still bought them [GxMG/TSOS] to support the franchise).

I hope whatever they decide to do. They really just rock the theaters with it!

G7
Manda of course is my favorite Kaijuu
Guardian7
Godzillasaurus

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:46 am

Guardian7 wrote:I can't help but agree with lhb412.
Much as I wish I could say otherwise. The last series of films was in most not up to par or maybe not as good as they could have been?

I'll take Godzilla even in a cheesy film. but I am a fan. So I will buy it even if it was a terrible film (I despise the concept of Kiryu for example... but I still bought them [GxMG/TSOS] to support the franchise).

I hope whatever they decide to do. They really just rock the theaters with it!

G7

:lol: I liked the concept of Kiryu I thought that was one of the better reasons to revamp an older character.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Cookie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:13 pm

I honestly thought the 2000 series was decent enough... I just go in and out liking what was giving to us... that's how I go about watching these films.

Anyway, with Legendary Pictures shooting for a 2012-2013 release for the new american Godzilla, I'm pretty convinced that Toho will do a movie in 2014 for the big guys 60th.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:31 pm

Um...what? I seriously doubt there will be two seperate Godzilla film series running at the same time...if anything I'd look for a sequel to Legendary's Godzilla film in 2014 as a 60th anniversary film...but that's still a pretty big basket of "what ifs"...at the moment I think Toho and Legendary both are mainly concerned with getting this first film off the ground succesfully..
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby ryuuseipro » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:44 pm

lhb412 wrote:^After the lackluster movies being turned out can you blame them?

Toho needs to put a great deal of effort into their revamp when it comes, with an emphasis on winning over non-fans. They need to do what BBC did when they brought back Doctor Who.

Then again, they're letting Legendary Pictures handle that.

As some people have said, Toho doesn't feel capable of making another Godzilla film anymore. Tokusatsu eiga (special effects films) are a big chore to them. They want it cheap and easy. They're kind of messed up on tokusatsu by Eiji Tsuburaya, who wanted it expensive, good, and hard. He did a great job with his teams, who worked at a rigorous schedule.

What Toho truly needs to continue Godzilla on their own is another Eiji Tsuburaya. Someone with just as much political power as he had in the Golden Age, and really be hard on the Toho suits. And Kawakita definitely wasn't it.

Back then, with the God of Tokusatsu on their side, Toho gambled on success. Today, they gamble on epic failure, just like Charlie Brown.
-John Cassidy
Richmond, VA
http://ryuuseipro.livejournal.com/

"The monster a child knows best and is most concerned with [is] the monster he feels or fears himself to be." -Bruno Bettelheim
ryuuseipro
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:08 pm

ryuuseipro wrote:
lhb412 wrote:^After the lackluster movies being turned out can you blame them?

Then again, they're letting Legendary Pictures handle that.

As some people have said, Toho doesn't feel capable of making another Godzilla film anymore. Tokusatsu eiga (special effects films) are a big chore to them. They want it cheap and easy. They're kind of messed up on tokusatsu by Eiji Tsuburaya, who wanted it expensive, good, and hard. He did a great job with his teams, who worked at a rigorous schedule.

What Toho truly needs to continue Godzilla on their own is another Eiji Tsuburaya. Someone with just as much political power as he had in the Golden Age, and really be hard on the Toho suits. And Kawakita definitely wasn't it.

Back then, with the God of Tokusatsu on their side, Toho gambled on success. Today, they gamble on epic failure, just like Charlie Brown.

Can you at times blame them for wanting it cheap and easy, particularly in this day and age (not tht I don't agree with you, in fact I do).

Still even if the comparison is mostly correct, to compare Toho to Charlie Brown has got to be a harsh statement. In fact Charlie Brown seems to have more luck than Toho does.
I got no problem with anybody who jumps into a Starfury and rides fire! (Babylon 5)
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Arrow » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:02 pm

Toho hasn't been able to deliver much in the way of a great Godzilla film in thirty years. I wouldn't mind if they waited another decade and a half if that's what it took for them to start pumping out quality material again. At this point, the company needs more than another Tsuburaya. They need another Honda, Sekizawa, and Ifukube as well. By that, they need people who are good at what they do. If Godzilla comes back with another Godzilla x Megaguirus, then I'm going to be sorely disappointed.

Let's just hope Legendary Pictures is able to bring us the Godzilla film that Toho hasn't been able to bring since the '60s.
Arrow
Little Godzilla

Postby Cookie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:05 pm

King_Ghidorah wrote:Um...what? I seriously doubt there will be two seperate Godzilla film series running at the same time...if anything I'd look for a sequel to Legendary's Godzilla film in 2014 as a 60th anniversary film...but that's still a pretty big basket of "what ifs"...at the moment I think Toho and Legendary both are mainly concerned with getting this first film off the ground succesfully..

Legendary shoots between now and 2012 for a late 2012, summer 2013 release..... Toho shoots in 2013, early 2014 for late 2014 release.

Don't see how they would be shooting at the same time whatsoever.

Sure it's a "maybe".... I'm not saying it's going to happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if Toho did one for 2014.. I also think a sequel to G2012 would be for like 2015-2016... so they don't really mess with eachother at all really... especially since it's too different companies. Sure, Toho is overseeing G2012, but they have time to make their own film in between.

So basically:
Legendary Godzilla - 2012/2013
Toho Godzilla 60th Anniversary film - 2014
Legendary Godzilla sequel - 2015/2016

See, they don't interact at all. It's possible, not saying it's going to happen(so spare me the "oh this guy doesn't know what he's talking about").. just saying it's NOT IMPOSSIBLE. I'd honestly be shocked it Toho didn't do a 60th anvrsy film... Legendary film brings back some hype for the franchise... Toho makes ONE film(not a whole new series), then goes back into hiatus... then Legendarys sequel comes out.

I wouldn't mind this being Godzilla's last movie run..... we would have a thrill ride one last time with the big guy, before he goes asleep for good this time.... until 2054 that is. lol
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:37 pm

Not going to happen.
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby ryuuseipro » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:56 pm

Andrew Nguyen wrote:Can you at times blame them for wanting it cheap and easy, particularly in this day and age (not tht I don't agree with you, in fact I do).

Still even if the comparison is mostly correct, to compare Toho to Charlie Brown has got to be a harsh statement. In fact Charlie Brown seems to have more luck than Toho does.

That is true, but Toho takes just as much flack as Charlie Brown does. Kids call Charlie Brown a blockhead or a loser, whenever his team loses a game. People tend to have harsher things to say to Toho!

Godzilla is Toho's Snoopy. He's the best player on the team! :)
-John Cassidy
Richmond, VA
http://ryuuseipro.livejournal.com/

"The monster a child knows best and is most concerned with [is] the monster he feels or fears himself to be." -Bruno Bettelheim
ryuuseipro
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Guardian7 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:10 pm

So TOHO will NOT be making a film of their most iconic character for his 60th anniversery?
That seems a little strange.
BUT... if they are at a "Charlie Brown" place with their creative abilities. Maybe that is for the best... BUT... I will hate to miss that TOHOlogo opening!
I do believe that is kinda sad in a way.
But I also believe that those of you saying so are likely right.

SO... Is TOHO out of its own game?

Will Lgendary Pictures actually be able to pick up the ball and run with it and score some kind of home run?

Will be interesting to see irregardless of anything.

Plus I will stand on my previous post and say that I will support the Godzilla Franchise no matter what they give us. Even if it is another Final Wars.

G7
Manda of course is my favorite Kaijuu
Guardian7
Godzillasaurus

Postby metal_bryan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:30 pm

Don't forget there are those of us who like Final Wars. :lol: I'd gladly take another of those if it meant a new Godzilla movie... though like you said a better movie would be preferable.
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby Cookie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:53 pm

metal_bryan wrote:Not going to happen.

I disagree. I'm not saying it will happen, but I'd be shocked if they didn't. Creativeness aside, Toho makes the movies for money... and even though GFW tanked, a Legendary Pictures G movie obviously is going to spike the interest up again, and then TOHO will make that decision if they want to make another one 10 years after GFW.
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:00 pm

You'll be the one eating crow my friend. :)
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby Legion » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:39 pm

If the LP film is successful Toho will allow future Godzilla films to be made in this country and they'll just enjoy the money coming in via merchandise and licensing. I highly doubt they'll bother making another film themselves, even for the 60th. Making their own films while LP is also controlling the character would be a gigantic conflict of interest.

Think about it guys.

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Norman England » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:46 pm

Making Godzilla films is tiring and the profits hardly justify it. One thing Godzilla films have that other most films don't in Japan is a picky, demanding fan base. Letting Legendary deal with fans is probably in Toho's best interest.
Norman England
Baby Godzilla

Postby Cookie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:26 pm

Legion wrote:If the LP film is successful Toho will allow future Godzilla films to be made in this country and they'll just enjoy the money coming in via merchandise and licensing. I highly doubt they'll bother making another film themselves, even for the 60th. Making their own films while LP is also controlling the character would be a gigantic conflict of interest.

Think about it guys.

Yeah, I know it's a lot of crap going on at the same time with the character... but I just don't think it's impossible for it to happen. I mean, Toho pushed out a Godzilla movie every year somehow from 1999-2004... so I don't see why they couldn't pull off their own movie in between LP's Godzilla and a sequel(may or may not have one).

This is how I see it... money wise:
I don't know how much LP paid TOHO to use Godzilla, but lets just say like... 30 million $. So Toho uses 15 million $(marketing/everything) of that to make a Godzilla movie in Japan.... It makes 25 million $ because of all the hype surrounding the character... so they make another 10 million $, not including other revenue like toys etc.

So... it probably won't happen, but I don't see why TOHO would at least try and make a little more for G's 60th.
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby Legion » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:35 pm

Cookson wrote:
So... it probably won't happen...

It wont, don't worry.

...but I don't see why TOHO would at least try and make a little more for G's 60th.

Because it's pointless and not worth it for Toho to bother if the LP movie is a success and bringing in the money for them. You mention Toho's 1999-2004 output but aside from GMK were any of these movies truly financially or critically successful? Toho has nothing to gain by churning out more half assed movies of their own when someone else is making Godzilla films for them. Toho was perfectly willing to step aside and let Sony continue the franchise if GINO did well. And that's what is going to happen here.

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Next

Return to The Millennium Era: 1999-2005