The Host

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby Benjamin Haines » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:47 pm

Heads up to any North Carolinians planning to catch The Host in Raleigh:

SciFi Japan wrote:March 23, 2007
Raleigh, NC: Colony Twin

I called the Colony Twin and the only thing playing there this week is Miss Potter. However, the Rialto Theater in Raleigh is playing The Host, and not just today, but every night for the next week! From Friday March 23rd (today) through Thursday March 29th, nightly showings will be at 7:00pm and 9:20pm. There will also be afternoon matinee showings on Saturday and Sunday only at 2:00pm and 4:30pm.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kpa » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:36 pm

Ben, thanks for correcting the info. I posted the info I was sent by Magnolia Pictures so I won't know if dates or theaters are changed later.

For anyone who plans to see THE HOST, the official site for the movie lists theaters where it is/will be showing. Keep checking there for updates:

http://magpictures.com/dates.aspx?id=3c ... 6c733385e6
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby Danno » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:59 pm

I got an All Region DVD of this off of amazon.com

I enjoyed the movie a lot, the main character (blonde) gets a tiny bit annoying some scenes, but that would be my only peeve.

A-
Danno
Godzilla

not bad

Postby Xenorama » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:44 pm

i liked it OK- it's certainly not one of "the greatest monster movies ever made" and it's about 10 minutes too long, but overall it was quite enjoyable. too bad the critter had to have the standard weird mouth that has been popular since ALIEN.

it was nice to see it on the big screen, no question there. way better than the last two giant monster movies i saw in 98 and 05.

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Re: not bad

Postby metal_bryan » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:24 pm

Xenorama wrote:way better than the last two giant monster movies i saw in 98 and 05

You didn't see G2000? :(
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby Xenorama » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:14 pm

d'oh! it was about as good as G2000, overall.

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby Benjamin Haines » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:10 am

I saw it last night with a couple friends in Raleigh. I know I'm the millionth person to be saying this, but I can testify that this film is indeed awesome all-around. VERY engaging plot, a unique and original approach to a giant monster story, and wonderful characters. I really enjoyed the focus of the story angle from the viewpoint of the family. Really refreshing. It was interesting watching how the different family members act and react to the continuously-unfolding crisis they were faced with, as the scenes went from dramatic to slapstick seamlessly with no awkward mood transitions. I can't even really describe it or how the director managed to execute it so damn flawlessly, but the tone of this movie is alternating throughout from serious to lighthearted, often with the two interweaving with one another, and yet it always feels consistent.... like there's an overarching feeling to the whole thing as you're peering into the lives of these people as they happen before your eyes. The pacing moves along appropriately, some parts slower or faster than others, but it never felt to me like the film was dragging in any way. It always had that sense of moving along, every scene lasting just as long as it needed to without overstaying its welcome or appearing too brief. The movie also has a great sense of how it unfolds. It never feels documentary-like, detached, or hackneyed, it feels like you're really there watching this story play out from these characters' perspective as it's happening. It's an amazing experience.

The monster element was handled perfectly, absolutely perfectly. The creature herself was cool as hell, badass on-screen, awesome to look at, and made the perfect centerpiece to the conflict of the story. The amount of monster action is minimal (think Monster Zero) and that really works to let the film's plot take the main floor and flow on its own. And note that the monster is definitely NOT underused. While her screen time is intermittent, her presence is always felt within the atmosphere of the film, as everything the characters do is pertinent to the story, which consistently revolves around the monster and keeps its focus grounded in that. You, the viewer, will never have a chance to forget that the monster is there. And when she's on-screen, does she ever shine! The action sequences are intense, with an on-the-scene sense of reality and happening. The special effects for the creature, done entirely in CGI, are wonderful. The Orphanage pulled one hell of a job here with this beast, as she looks realistic to the eye and moves consistently fluid throughout. There were a few iffy shots, of course (mainly in the way of a gleamy or shiny texture, a common problem of CGI), but they are very few in number and far-between one another, and certainly never enough to detract from the viewing experience. With the combination of slick execution and perceptive direction, this monster makes its mark in the movie in the best way possible.

Did I mention that I loved the characters? Honestly, I had a smile stuck on my face from the ten-minute mark* to the end of the movie and they carried the film the entire way through. From the family dynamic to the humor to the moments of tension, the characters owned this movie and made it a freaking delight to watch. Hell, the whole damn film is just completely engrossing! It draws you in, immerses you in this world, attaches you to these characters, and takes you on this wild ride of a monster-centered adventure with them all the way to the end. A fantastic filmgoing experience in every way!

Quality-wise, I'd give it 4.5 out of 5 stars, easily. In terms of entertainment and sheer enjoyability, I'd give it a full solid 5, and then some! Everybody in the world should see this movie at some point in their lives. I thought it was even better-made cinematically speaking than GMK, and I'd put it about on caliber with Gamera 2. I think it's the best kaiju film since Gamera 3, definitely the best kaiju film of the 21st century so far, and certainly the single must-watch movie of the decade. I don't think this limited release is anywhere near doing this movie justice, and forget the idea of a remake. This film itself deserves a wide nationwide release... in every nation! Very, very highly recommended by me.

*I got us to the theater ten minutes late, naturally. Missed the beginning, but it was easy to pick up on as soon as we got there.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Destroyer D » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:30 am

Is this film overly violent or gory? What is the age range for this film?
Destroyer D
Godzilla

Postby SciFi Geek » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:33 pm

Ben, we always hear comments about how irriating the children can be in kaiju movies but I'm assuming that's not the case in The Host. I'm hoping the little girl isn't a ''Kenny'' that so many detest. But not that I have a problem with kids in kaiju films...
SciFi Geek
Little Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:48 pm

She was actually my favorite part of the film... ^^;;
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kpa » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:25 pm

Destroyer D wrote:Is this film overly violent or gory?

Think JURASSIC PARK or JAWS... there's violence but nothing too graphic.

What is the age range for this film?

It's rated 'R'.
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby Xenorama » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:51 pm

the monsters is a "she"? nothing in the movie suggests sex one way or the other.

the kids in the movie are nice, much like most of the kids in any monster movie.

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:00 am

Didn't the production team call it a she several times though?

EDIT:

From the SFJapan interview with one of the FX guys:

SFJ: Lastly, what would you like to say to the friends and fans of SciFi Japan?

WC: [long pause] Sorry that THE HOST is not 300 times bigger… no, 200 times bigger than Godzilla. But, it’s a female! [laughs]
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby pocketmego » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:03 am

I finally got to see this film today. When it started, it looked like it was going to be a Kaiju Sean of the Dead. But, as the film progressed it went in its own direction and left behind any and all expectations of what this kind of film is supposed to be. It kept me guessing, as anyone of the characters, even the main character could easily become a casulty and it would have seemed absolutely correct. The writer obviously let the story taken them where it was going to go without compromise.

I was praying for the ending not to go all Hollywood on me and it did not dissapoint.

It is a thuroughly engrossing film, with a magic all its own. This is more than just a great Kaiju movie, this is just a GREAT MOVIE.

It makes me hope that Toho considers this film and its success when considering the future of Godzilla.

as was already stated the limited release of this film is shameful and it means it is not getting in the hands of people that need to see it, which is EVERYONE.

Nothing Universal is going to do to this movie will be good. This movie does not and SHOULD NOT be remade and I certainly intend to boycott any re-make of this film.

This movie is equal in raw, emotional, human, storytelling power as Gojira was 50 years ago and still is today and I forsee this movie being just as much of a timeless classic 50 years from now.

-Ray
Creepy Cheapies
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/creepycheapies/
E-mail discussion list dedicated to the Film Types of Drive-In, Exploitation, Grindhouse, and Horror!
pocketmego
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Destroyer D » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:01 am

kpa wrote:
Destroyer D wrote:Is this film overly violent or gory?

Think JURASSIC PARK or JAWS... there's violence but nothing too graphic.

What is the age range for this film?

It's rated 'R'.

Thanks kpa!
Destroyer D
Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:16 pm

Heads up to North Carolinians again! The Host just wrapped up its week at the Rialto Theater in Raleigh and now it actually is playing at the Colony Twin like originally scheduled. It started last night (Friday) and will be playing nightly at 9:20pm all the way through Thursday April 5th, next week.

Looks like I'll probably be seeing it again. :D

SciFi Geek wrote:Ben, we always hear comments about how irriating the children can be in kaiju movies but I'm assuming that's not the case in The Host. I'm hoping the little girl isn't a ''Kenny'' that so many detest. But not that I have a problem with kids in kaiju films...

You know, it wasn't until I read your post and considered your question that the notion of whether or not Hyun-seo, the little girl in the film, was a 'kenny' even crossed my mind.... That'd be a no.

I thought she was great for the film. Ko A-sung, the young actress playing her, has to be one of the best child actors ever seen in a monster movie, playing her role through and to the point. She keeps the plot moving along well with her screentime, and that's a good thing because her character is center to the story (she gets taken away by the creature to an underground sewer area along the Han River, forcing her family to dodge authorities and get in there and find a way to locate her).

There is another kid in the film, a little boy named See-ju who gets trapped in the same situation as Hyun-seo, causing her to look after him as they try to find a way to get out. But he never once got annoying or kenny-like at all during the film. There's one scene where he's asking Hyun-seo what it's like living with her family at a food shop, and Hyun-seo has one hilarious line at the end of the scene. I won't spoil it here, but I just found it really funny coming from a little preteen girl.
Last edited by Benjamin Haines on Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby pocketmego » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:55 am

Benjamin Haines wrote:
There is another kid in the film, a little boy named See-ju who gets trapped in the same situation as Hyun-seo, causing her to look after him as they try to find a way to get out. But he never once got annoying or kenny-like at all during the film. There's one scene where he's asking Hyun-seo what it's like living with her family at a food shop, and Hyun-seo has one hilarious line at the end of the scene. I won't spoil it here, but I just found it really funny coming from a little preteen girl.

Hehehe, yeah.

Just to add to this, there is no child-sympathy for this monster. People in this film act like normal people and react to the monster in almost every instance the way a normal person would act. That is one of the things that makes this such a refreshing film. Kaiju films since G54 and then again with G84 get so far away from the reality of how a normal, everyday, person would react in such extraordinary circumstances that it does partically explain the reason a lot of the companies are feeling like the genre has become stale.

But, as I mentioned before this fim establishes things with an almost Sean of the Dead by way of Kaiju attitude before branching off to become its own thing.

By the way , with this movie BLOWING apart box office records in Korea and just taking the rest of the world by storm, any chance we might see a re-surgence in the Kaiju Eiga market sooner than we have all been expecting?

Oh and I already want my VYNYL FIGURE of the Monster from this movie. M1, Bandai, Marusan some body stop sleeping on the job and get me a nice squishie Host figure. :D

-Ray
Creepy Cheapies
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/creepycheapies/
E-mail discussion list dedicated to the Film Types of Drive-In, Exploitation, Grindhouse, and Horror!
pocketmego
Godzilla Jr.

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:25 am

So I finally saw this thing over the weekend when I was in Chicago at G-Fest. My friend bought a copy in the dealer's room and we got a cheap DVD player and watched it in his room.

This movie was great. I think it may have dragged a bit in the middle, but then again it was past 3:00 AM and I may have just been tired.

Anyway, the movie is great. Its layered, funny, well acted, great SPFX, a kick ass monster, etc. Even though I thought it was great, I still think its a bit overrated.

One thing though... this movie is NOT a kaiju movie... in any way, really. Its more along the lines of Jaws, Alien, etc as opposed to Godzilla... I don't know why everyone keeps referring to it as a kaiju film. This is a completely different type of monster and a different style of film making.

But I'll definitely get the R1 DVD!
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:45 pm

rackmount wrote:After reading all of the glowing reviews KPA has been giving this movie. I was excited about it.
Then I watched the YouTube samples.

While this movie does look like fun as a B-Movie. It's full of cheesy acting and cheesy directed effects.
In just one short clip I see a guy struggle to barely pick up a slab of masonry. Then the slab somehow becomes light as a feather as he manages to toss it across the parking lot. And in between a narrow opening between two parked trailers no less!

Then our cheesy heros struggle to lift a sign with a concrete base.
They barely manage to get it closer to the monster, not being able to lift it any higher than their waist. Then one of them turns on that anti-gravity machine again. And Whoosh! the sign goes flying up into the air and across the parking lot on top of the monster.
And this was just 4mins. of it!
I can only imagine what gems the rest of the movie has in it to discover.

While this movie does look like fun. And a great B-Movie.
It's (un-intentionally?)covered with cheese. It almost looks like a deliberate spoof at times.
The good parts are very good. But the bad parts are extremely bad.
I think the reviews around here are a bit scewwed and kaiju-fan biased.

Looking back through this thread, its so funny how off these types of speculations were... Sorry, but I couldn't help but point it out.
Last edited by MouthForWar on Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby rackmount » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:15 pm

^Umm. Mods.

Since I'm not allowed to defend myself from personal attacks like this.
Would you please tell this 22yr. old person that he's not allowed to point his crazy stick in my adult direction.

I've been trying to avoid him because he's really creepy. But he's obsessed with me and he won't leave me alone.
Maybe you can explain it to him?

Thanks.
rackmount
Baby Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:38 pm

rackmount wrote:^Umm. Mods.

Since I'm not allowed to defend myself from personal attacks like this.
Would you please tell this 22yr. old person that he's not allowed to point his crazy stick in my adult direction.

I've been trying to avoid him because he's really creepy. But he's obsessed with me and he won't leave me alone.
Maybe you can explain it to him?

Thanks.

That was a personal attack? :lol: It was just a response to speculation that you and others were making before the movie even came out. There's nothing wrong with commenting on how misleading pre-film speculation can be. I thought it was pretty harmless, but if that offended you enough to start armchair modding, then I really don't know what to say.

I saw the movie with medium expectations and loved it. The Host is probably has the most depth of any monster/creature/sci-fi film to come out in the last 20 years and its definitely the most political monster movie since Gojira.

Anyway, this bad boy comes out on Tuesday... who's buying it? 8-)
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby kiryugoji04 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:59 pm

The movie had come out by the time that post was made, actually. Wasn't as wide-spread st that point but there were plenty of reviews out and stuff. (Which was half of that debate... >>)
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:30 am

kiryugoji04 wrote:The movie had come out by the time that post was made, actually. Wasn't as wide-spread st that point but there were plenty of reviews out and stuff. (Which was half of that debate... >>)

Oh yeah, that's right... But it never did get a wide release, so I can see how there would still be people speculating. IMDB also had (and still has) a lot of people saying how they think the movie is this and that, but haven't seen the movie yet.

But as far as reviews go, for the most part, I think critics reviews of the Host were pretty accurate.

Although its probably the most deep and meaningful monster/sci-fi film in some time, I gotta admit that I think its a wee bit overrated still. I do gotta admit though, its nice to see a creature movie with a big agenda to it come out in this day and age.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Robert Saint John » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:47 am

rackmount wrote:^Umm. Mods.

Since I'm not allowed to defend myself from personal attacks like this...

I'm sure it will come as no surprise to you when your favorite Admin (me) steps in and says: what personal attack? It's not even verging on a personal attack. Here's an example of something verging on a personal attack:

rackmount wrote:Would you please tell this 22yr. old person that he's not allowed to point his crazy stick in my adult direction.

So let's stop it before it starts. And stop playing the victim; it's boring, it's OT, and I think I've already requested that you keep the dirty laundry to yourself.

BTW, this is the first time in ages I've been in this thread. We don't go into every thread every day. I bet there are some threads we don't even go into at all. IOW, if you need an Admin for assistance, please PM one. Then you won't have to deal with everyone reading replies like this. Thanks.
Robert Saint John
Burning Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:29 pm

A couple reviews of the new 2-disc R1 at DVD Talk. One rates it Recommended and the other Highly Recommended.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=29241
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=29230
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!