Aaron Smith Passes Away

Board-wide announcements & FAQs, general fan concerns, site problems, suggestions for new features, etc.

Moderator: Controllers

Postby lhb412 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:17 pm

:(
I'm incredibly shocked! How could this have happened?

I remember when I first joined this site about 6 years ago and their was that little picture on the side of Aaron. He represented this place and all that it stood for. It has been just about the nicest place in the entire internet. I believe I had heard of some of the health problems, and the death of his Mom, and such, and I was aware of his absence sometimes which made me always cheer up to see a post of his and know that he was still here, the guy that started it all...

Alas por Aaron, we all knew him well.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby briizilla » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:30 pm

What a huge loss for the entire fandom. I stumbled onto MZ years ago while checking out Barrys Temple of Godzilla. From that moment forward MZ was the ONLY site I would visit on a daily basis and it really served to rekindle my love for Kaiju Eiga. MZ was the site I looked to for breaking news, reviews, and almost always 100% accuracy when it came to rumors about my favorite hobby. When I became a regular poster on the boards(after lurking for about a year) I found Aaron, the "head honcho" to act like anything but. He was always down to earth, funny and passionate about the genre. He never pontificated from on high as some admins do on other sites, and he never seemed to let petty feelings or arguments cloud his judgement. He helped create the only forum where almost everyone gets along, where I'd happily sit down and have a beer with any of the members.....

He was always a really good guy, and he will be greatly missed.
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby obert22 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:45 pm

http://www.monsterzero.us/editorials/ed ... tentID=829

For anyone that would like to like to pass on their thoughts about Aaron or messages for his family please e-mail me with them. I will make updates on the main page as I get them.

-Mark
obert22
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Flame of Udin » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:48 pm

I read this while on the phone doing my daily MZ check and it schocked me so much I had to hang up to read it again. I have been such an avid fan when it first came up as 'Godzilla News' and as it grew into MZ, I remember sending him the sketches I was given of Mire-Goji and how happy I was to see it put on the site, although the images turned out to be only mouth operation sketches using the heisei face, I was still amazed at how curtious Aaron was and forgiving after the real concept art was released.

His family has my condolences, he will surley be missed.
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gigan71 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:11 pm

r.i.p aaron
Gigan71
Godzilla Jr.

Postby TheMaster » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:20 pm

Wow very sad. I've been w/ Aaron/MZ since the beginning. I remember his struggle w/ diabetes(I'm assuming he still suffered from complicatons of it) and his desire to overcome it. I don't go to many places board wise-this is the ONE place I always post, and much of that is a tribute to Aaron. He ran a tight ship-and the best place for Goji news bar none.
Over the years my at times acidic personality clashed w/ Aarons. And one thing I can say is he never booted me and did his best to be fair-even when I was not.
I was unaware of all his personal struggles(as I remember he was even a social worker at one point) and feel horrible for much of what he went through. Ironically I'm in the fitness field and am always preaching to people about taking care of their health. I'm sorry I couldn't be of aid to him. Hopefully he is now in a place of peace.
He can know that his site was one of the best things for this lifelong G nerd. My journey started w/ old Forry Acerman Famous Monsters, progressed to Gfan. And then Aarons site. What he created was a huge part of my fandom and joy in being a Gnerd. It also connected me to some of you all w/ similar degrees of nerdiness(Superman, DrWho). And I think that is a big tribute to his legacy. Hopefully others can continue the fine job he did.
God rest his soul and comfort his family.
TheMaster
Heisei Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:32 pm

God speed, my prayers go out to his family.
KG
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Danno » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:08 pm

36 dude... RIP
Danno
Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:17 pm

Like many others, I've been a constant visitor to Monster Zero in all of its incarnations. Aaron was one of the people who I really looked up to and respected within the fandom. This is terrible news. My deepest sympathies go out to his friends and family.

Rest in peace.
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby RobD » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:27 pm

I'm shocked and deeply saddened with Aaron's untimely passing.
He did so much for the community. My deepest condolences to his
family.

Thank you for everything you did Aaron. You will be missed greatly.

I'm sure Tsuburaya-San and Honda-San are giving you a grand tour of Heaven right now.

God Bless you Aaron.
RobD
Godzilla Jr.

Postby RaptorG » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:28 pm

RIP my Friend.

I still remember when i first found this site about 6 years ago. I loved to read up about everything. :(

Thanks for everything Aaron. You were a Ture Godzilla Fan. :cry:
RaptorG
Godzilla Jr.

Postby DM1 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:58 pm

REST IN PEACE[/b]
WHATEVER HAPPENS WILL BE!!!
DM1
Godzilla Egg

Postby ryuuseipro » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:22 pm

Posted an obit on my blog a while ago. All I have to say for Aaron is here.

http://ryuuseipro.livejournal.com/108067.html

Other than that, this news was just so shocking and so sudden. It's hard to believe he's gone. So young and so suddenly.

With that said, who's going to run MZ? (I don't know if that question has been asked, but I have to anyway.)

Rest in Peace, Aaron. From one Godzilla fan to another.
-John Cassidy
Richmond, VA
http://ryuuseipro.livejournal.com/

"The monster a child knows best and is most concerned with [is] the monster he feels or fears himself to be." -Bruno Bettelheim
ryuuseipro
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Robert Saint John » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:25 pm

Richard is still here, and Gene, Mark, David, Keith and I aren't going anywhere, MZ will be fine.
Robert - Cleveland, OH
(formerly mechascorpio)
Robert Saint John
Burning Godzilla

Postby akuash » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:42 pm

My condolences to his family and friends. 36 is way to young to move on from this world. May Aaron find peace and happiness in the afterlife.

RIP
akuash
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Tomzilla » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:15 pm

I’ll be honest; I usually found myself ridiculing Aaron’s administrated policies. We never had a bad feud, but I never helped make his life easier. Despite these circumstances, I’ve always had the utter most respect for him. He’s dedicated his time, patience, and life to this community. Without him, I would never have truly become attached the way I am now. I would never have met the great people I’ve come to know. Everything is connected and I have Aaron to thank for helping me become the person I am today, and the Man I’ll become tomorrow. It’s strange how things work like that. Even someone you’ve never really met or rarely talked to can influence your life.

While I commend Aaron for everything he’s done for this community, I will remember him for other reasons. Based on the comments by those who were closer to him, I can only conclude he was a thought provoking Man, loved by those he had close to his heart, and respected by those who have known him for years. May he forever brag to Tanaka, Honda, Tsuburaya, and Ifukube about how he single-handedly broadened the online Kaiju-Eiga Community…

Thank you, Aaron.

You deserve everlasting peace.
Tomzilla
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Moonlight SY-3 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:20 pm

This is indeed sad, terrible news. I had done a few translations for Aaron, and even through the minimal correspondence we had I could tell he was a very pleasant man. He even sent me an encouraging "give the site another chance" PM after I had suffered some initial "fandom sure can be grumpy" shock when I first joined MZ. Definitely a great guy. He will be missed. RIP, Aaron.
~Brian
Moonlight SY-3
Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:24 pm

Rest In Peace.
Man this sucks.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:56 pm

It's a very very sad day indeed. In fact I have a tear in my eye as I type this, though I didn't know Aaron in real life I always enjoyed talking to him via PM on this site about my computer problems.

Words can not describe how shocking and terriable this news is for me and the many great people who frequent this board, I've been here for all woderful 9 years and I doubt I'll ever leave. At other message boards when I post I always tell people that this is my "home" and I feel like each and every one of you are family.

My condolences go out to his family.

Aaron my you be having a blast with the other Toho greats that have passed away and tell them we all said hi and thank you for their work and also thank you for yours.
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby ryuuseipro » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:10 am

mechascorpio wrote:Richard is still here, and Gene, Mark, David, Keith and I aren't going anywhere, MZ will be fine.

Ah, I see. I find that reassuring. :wink:

You guys do it for Aaron's memory.
-John Cassidy
Richmond, VA
http://ryuuseipro.livejournal.com/

"The monster a child knows best and is most concerned with [is] the monster he feels or fears himself to be." -Bruno Bettelheim
ryuuseipro
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Crex99 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:22 am

Aaron will never be forgotten what he has accomplished in the daikaiju community and beyond.
Oodako, Ookondoru, and Biollante Rose...PWNS!!!
Crex99
Little Godzilla

Postby gojira_fan » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:38 am

Rest in Peace Aaron.
gojira_fan
Godzilla

Postby Psycho Soldier » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:39 am

This whole thing seems so surreal. I was aware of his health problems too, but didn't think they would catch up with him at such a young age. At the very least, I didn't expect to see a post about it on Kaijuphile today. All I can really say is, Aaron Smith, you will be greatly missed, and thank you for the contributions you've made to the online Godzilla fandom.

:cry:
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby planetxleader » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:13 am

I just read the news and I was shocked and saddened. Learning of the death of Akira Ifukube was a sad event, but the death of Aaron Smith hits closer to home.

I didn't know Aaron personally and I may have traded a few quick messages with him, but it is no understatement when I say that his influence on me and my fandom ways is as big as Godzilla himself. Monster Zero has been the only forum that I reguarly visit (I've been posting since the production of Godzilla vs. Megaguirus) and it opened up to me a means of communication with legions of fans. It was plain to see how much work Aaron put into keeping Monster Zero afloat, and we all know the site's had some tough times.

I wasn't fully aware, however, of the tough times Aaron himself was going through. I knew his mother was not well, but I did not know she had passed away recently. I also knew that Aaron had some health issues but I never realized that they were this serious, and that made the news all the more shocking to me.

I am not a religious man, but wherever Aaron is now, I am sure he is at peace. I am sure that none of us will forget him, and indeed we owe it to him to never take for granted all that he has done for us.
"Vishnu takes on his multi-armed form, and says, "RAAAAAHHHOOO!!!'"
planetxleader
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Legacy_Of_Gamera » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:42 am

At this time, let's look back at the posts Aaron made and remember him for who he was:

http://www.clubtokyo.org/discuss/search ... onsterzero
Legacy_Of_Gamera
Heisei Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements, FAQs, Suggestions and Help