Strongest Tezuka Film

Discuss the millennium era of Godzilla films! From Godzilla 2000 Millennium to Godzilla Final Wars, these films comprised a wide variety of styles and topics!

Moderator: Controllers

Tezuka's best Godzilla film?

Godzilla X Megagirasu
23%
Godzilla X Mechagodzilla
31%
Godzilla X Mothra X Mechagodzilla: Tokyo SOS!
36%
Godzilla X Mothra X Waffles: Denny's SOS!
10%

Total votes : 131

Postby Zack Metoyer » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:25 pm

I'm tempted to say GXMG because the pacing and focus are much better than its predecessor, not to mention the special effects. But what's funny is that Akane is probably the worst character in the entire franchise. She is more one-dimensional than Ozaki. A generic, soulless woman who somehow has no family or friends, and just happened to materialize within Japan's military. Her job was to drive a truck, aim a cannon, and she ended up killing her commanding officer through sheer negligence. By a stroke of amazingly bad writing, she is rewarded for this by receiving a promotion to the rank of "pilot of world's most powerful weapon".

It still beats Tokyo SOS, a horrible mess that attempts to hearken back to earlier films, albeit with no clearly defined protagonist and zero logic.
Zack Metoyer
Godzilla

Postby walshiam » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:27 pm

We're digging a little deep on this one, aren't we? This thread was started almost 4 1/2 years ago.
walshiam
Godzilla

Postby SeaHawk » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:43 pm

walshiam wrote:We're digging a little deep on this one, aren't we? This thread was started almost 4 1/2 years ago.

So what?
SeaHawk
Godzilla

Postby walshiam » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:40 pm

Likewise for the thread. It was dead centuries ago.
walshiam
Godzilla

Postby Mac » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:28 pm

walshiam wrote:Likewise for the thread. It was dead centuries ago.

How could it be "dead" for a century when the first post was back in 2005? Are you an idiot?
Last edited by Mac on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Legion » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:01 pm

Mac wrote:

How could it be "dead" when for a century when the first post was back in 2005? Are you an idiot?

Do you really think he meant it when he said centuries? :lol:
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Mac » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:34 pm

Legion wrote:
Mac wrote:

How could it be "dead" when for a century when the first post was back in 2005? Are you an idiot?

Do you really think he meant it when he said centuries? :lol:

Of course not, but its just as ludicrous to make a new thread about Tezuka films, when we have one here.
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kent » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:22 pm

GMMG, by far, is Tezuka's best. Granted, Megaguirus and GMG are growing on me with time, but it seems that the actual quality, for one, of GMMG surpasses his first two entries. Not to mention we get a movie where half of it is nothing but an exceptional choreographed battle! It just seems like this movie did many things better than his first two movies.
kent
Little Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:35 am

kent wrote:GMMG ... half of it is nothing but an exceptional choreographed battle!

Most of Godzilla fighting Mothra is just carbon copying scenes from Mothra vs. Godzilla, even when the larvae get involved. And most of Godzilla fighting Mechagodzilla is downright slow and plodding, hardly as dynamic as their energetic final battle in the prior film.

Even then, I wouldn't call any of it exceptionally choreographed. Godzilla blasts Mechagodzilla in the face from the ground, Mechagodzilla is knocked backwards, and in the very next shot he's facing the other direction and landing face-down.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:47 am

This thread is 4 years old and my feelings still haven't changed. "Strong Tezuka film" is an oxymoron.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Jim Ballard » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:36 am

Not that I've really watched any Godzilla movies in the past 5 years, but I think I'd still take any of Tezuka's films over G2K, GFW and the majority of the Heisei series.
Jim Ballard
Monster 01

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:50 am

James Ballard wrote:Not that I've really watched any Godzilla movies in the past 5 years, but I think I'd still take any of Tezuka's films over G2K, GFW and the majority of the Heisei series.

I think GxMegaguirus is easily the worst of the Millenium series...
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Reaper G » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:08 pm

Megaguirus is my favorite. A strong female lead, Yuriko Hoshi's return, an innovative weapon, and great monster action. Also, I love the idea of a gigantic monster dragonfly zipping around at high speeds, though Meg's hovering via gently flapping its wings wasn't so good. It gave me hope that we'd see some great new things in the Millenium series, but Tezuka didn't quite live up to that, IMO.

That said, how exactly can a bunch of eggs flood Shibuya like that?
Pest, MSTie, Foodie, G-fan, Wrestlemaniac, and geek-at-large
http://reaper_g.livejournal.com
Reaper G
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kent » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:24 pm

Most of Godzilla fighting Mothra is just carbon copying scenes from Mothra vs. Godzilla, even when the larvae get involved. And most of Godzilla fighting Mechagodzilla is downright slow and plodding,

That's your opinion and that's cool. That's part of the reason why I enjoyed the battle with Mothra as Mothra Vs. Godzilla is one of my all-time favorite G films and it was given a contemporary update. The fight with Mechagodzilla, in my personal opinion, was more entertaining this time around and more fast-paced.

hardly as dynamic as their energetic final battle in the prior film.

A matter of personal tastes again. I didn't care much for any of the battles in the previous film as, in the first battle, Godzilla stood there and took whatever Mechagodzilla was throwing at him and didn't bother to retaliate; which simply seemed out of character for Godzilla. The final battle, to me, was nothing more than a slow-motion hug match.

and in the very next shot he's facing the other direction and landing face-down.

That's an editing problem, not a choreograph problem.
kent
Little Godzilla

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:51 pm

I must admit the TSOS battle isn't as energetic as the other two films, and I'm a fan of Tezuka's work.
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:24 pm

kent wrote:That's an editing problem, not a choreograph problem.

And the movie is RIFE with those (editing problems)
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Benjamin Haines » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:29 pm

kent wrote:That's an editing problem, not a choreograph problem.

With proper choreography, Mechagodzilla would have fallen backwards onto that building. The editing just shows what Tezuka directed to be shot.

And Jellydonut is right, the movie is filled to the brim with editing problems. How many times did the buildings in Tokyo change their locations? :lol:
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby G2KMaster » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:01 pm

I voted for GXMG. Most original of them all kaiju-action wise, and I liked the stock footage acompanied with the return of Kumi Mizuno and Akira Nakao.
G2KMaster

Postby TXKaiju » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:55 pm

Well for me it comes down to Godzilla x MechaGodzilla and Godzilla x Mothra x MechaGodzilla Tokyo SOS. Its almost a toss up but I think Godzilla x MechaGodzilla edges out Godzilla x Mothra x MechaGodzilla but just barley. So Godzilla x MechaGodzilla is the winner! Of course having Yumiko Syaku in the movie didnt hurt much either!
David Nunez Gojira11354
TXKaiju
Little Godzilla

Postby The Dark Uniter » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:23 am

I say his best film was Godzilla Againest Mechagodzilla. The other movies put me to sleep.
Formerly known as TylerPreston
The Dark Uniter
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Kaiju Nexus » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:20 pm

Anyone else saddened by the fact that these boards are so slow anymore that this entire Millenium Era forum hasn't been touched in over a month?

:cry:

"Because, if we didn't debate over silly nonsense, we wouldn't be fans. :) "

- pocketmego
Kaiju Nexus
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Legion » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:24 am

Kaiju Nexus wrote:Anyone else saddened by the fact that these boards are so slow anymore that this entire Millenium Era forum hasn't been touched in over a month?

No. Not particularly. There was a lot of discussion of all of these movies when the films were new. Maybe people are just burnt out on discussing them.

Either way, the movie discussion thread series is up to Godzilla vs Destroyah. So soon this forum should be a bit more active, although it's been a while since the Space Godzilla thread was created.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Irish Gfan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:33 pm

Tokyo SOS for sure. That was definitely his most polished and entertaining film. It doesn't cover any new areas with Godzilla or break any new ground, but it is a very well put together and entertaining flick. Also, it was nice to get a freakin' sequel in this series.

X Mechagodzilla feels like an unfinished film with holes left open at the end, so it was good that Tokyo SOS was made to fill it up.

X Megaguiras was a very weird movie, in both good & bad ways, but I got the feeling from watching it that Tezuka was enthusiastic about making Godzilla movies and that energy came through.
Irish Gfan
Little Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:03 pm

7 years later and I think my opinion has changed a little bit. Tokyo SOS has some interesting special effects scenes with Godzilla and Mothra I quite liked, so it gets the top spot with me just on that point. All three films are very, very weak.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Shonokin » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:43 pm

lhb412 wrote:7 years later and I think my opinion has changed a little bit. Tokyo SOS has some interesting special effects scenes with Godzilla and Mothra I quite liked, so it gets the top spot with me just on that point. All three films are very, very weak.

I agree with that. Though I haven't seen GxM, the one I went with earlier in this thread (7 years ago! ), since that time. Tokyo SOS I've seen a few times since, including in the theater with some of the cast ( including Hiroshi Koizumi ). So it has that coolness going for it.
Shonokin
Monster 01

PreviousNext

Return to The Millennium Era: 1999-2005