Strongest Tezuka Film

Discuss the millennium era of Godzilla films! From Godzilla 2000 Millennium to Godzilla Final Wars, these films comprised a wide variety of styles and topics!

Moderator: Controllers

Tezuka's best Godzilla film?

Godzilla X Megagirasu
23%
Godzilla X Mechagodzilla
31%
Godzilla X Mothra X Mechagodzilla: Tokyo SOS!
36%
Godzilla X Mothra X Waffles: Denny's SOS!
10%

Total votes : 131

Postby BrianBuck » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:07 am

I've said this before but it bears repeating, especially on this thread:

Godzilla x Megaguiras is the best G film of the Millenium era and of the past 10 years. Tezuka's enthusiasm for the subject matter shows. The plot is straightforward and pure science fiction, with none of the ridiculous melodramatic mysticism that marred GMK and the Kiryu films. The characters are likable, well written and sympathetic. Tsujimori is one of the few Godzilla film human protagonists I can remember by name. Megaguiras is a brilliantly designed creature and a formidable foe for Godzilla.
Unfortunately, Tezuka gets repetitive with GXMG, and SOS focused too much on Mechagodzilla. SOS also suffers from being derivitive. When I saw the battle between G and the Mothra larvae, I said to myself: "Didn't Tsubaraya do this 40 years ago with less money and better skill?"
At any rate, Tezuka has proven himself to be a top notch kaiju director. The worst thing about Toho putting G on hiatus is that Tezuka won't be given a chance to equal the triumph he had with Godzilla vs Megaguiras.

After seeing the clips of Final Wars, I wonder what Tezuka would've given us with more creative control and a bigger budget.
"Does Dirk Richters' ghost haunt the bordello where his bullet-riddled body was found?-Bart Simpson
"No child ever meddled with the Republican party and lived to tell about it."-Sideshow Bob
BrianBuck
Little Godzilla

Postby walshbeme » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:23 am

^^perspective is a curious thing but not uncommon here.
walshbeme

Postby SparkieGojira » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:12 am

BrianBuck wrote:The plot is straightforward and pure science fiction, with none of the ridiculous melodramatic mysticism that marred GMK and the Kiryu films. .

Or that marred GOJIRA, MOSURA TAI GOJIRA, SANDAI KAIJU, GOJIRA TAI MEKAGOJIRA, ect. ^__^
SparkieGojira

Postby MireGoji » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:35 pm

James Ballard wrote:I like them all, don't think I could choose. GxM was just plain fun, though it had some undeniable quirks. GxMG was a lot more action orientated, loved the references and tie-in's to classic Toho kaiju films, and Kiryu was a great step up from that god-awful 1993 design. SOS felt the most "epic", and had some great and consistent effects work (I found the story a little dull at times though). All three had wonderful scores, I'm a great fan of Ms. Oshima's work, surely the Ifukube successor.

Can't add to that. I'm with you 100% on this, James.
"Crossing into established events is strictly forbidden. Except for cheap tricks."
- The Tenth Doctor, Smith and Jones
MireGoji
Burning Godzilla

Postby SparkieGojira » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:19 pm

I can certainly see how GxM can be admired for being a fresh take and so on. It just reminded me to much of an Ultraman Taro episode for my taste. :(
SparkieGojira

Postby Shonokin » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:46 pm

What's wrong with Taro, the favored son? ;)

I vote GxM. I felt it's the most original and energetic effort of his films. I like the others but IMO they are easily tiresome and repetitive and so for me to enjoy watching more than once I'd have to go with GXM.
Shonokin
Monster 01

Postby SparkieGojira » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:15 pm

Honestly, I can not argue. "original and energetic" certainly applies to the movie. Perhaps it's one of those films I just need to keep exposing myself occasionaly before I finally "get it".
SparkieGojira

Postby walshbeme » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:27 am

SparkieGojira wrote:I can certainly see how GxM can be admired for being a fresh take and so on. It just reminded me to much of an Ultraman Taro episode for my taste. :(
That was my first impression of the film. Most recent Godzilla films (including Heisei) have been copies of copies borrowing elements from other films and television. This is why G2000 remains my fave to this day. It was the most original compared to all other G films.
walshbeme

Postby SparkieGojira » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:12 am

G2000 was a postmodern deconstruction of the whole GINO affair and reafirmation of what the real Japanese Godzilla is and represents.... No wonder GxM was a let down for me.:(
SparkieGojira

Postby Garasharp K7 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:37 am

I really liked Taro, so no wonder I loved GxM! :D

SparkieGojira wrote:G2000 was a postmodern deconstruction of the whole GINO affair and reafirmation of what the real Japanese Godzilla is and represents.... No wonder GxM was a let down for me.:(

Really? I thought it was about Godzilla fighting a big space creature while everyone tried to figure out what substance he was made of. :wink:

I loved the film, btw. :)
"Godzilla's the one with the bad breath." - Minya
Garasharp K7
Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:31 pm

SparkieGojira wrote:G2000 was a postmodern deconstruction of the whole GINO affair and reafirmation of what the real Japanese Godzilla is and represents.... No wonder GxM was a let down for me.:(

i thought GMK did more GINO bashing than any G film to date (with the possible exception of GFW which i havent seen yet)

but think about it...the way they talk about the monster that attacked america in the beginning, and the entire godzilla coming ashore sequence is straight outta G98, only without GINO
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Gigan71 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:04 pm

i think gxm is the best tezuka film ! one of the coolest original monsters ever introduced in megaguirus !
Gigan71
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:05 pm

Same here, the two films before GMK didn't do very well and many wondered why Godzilla meant anything anymore and GMK provided that answer in the best way possible.

I really didn't like GxM since it was too different from the norm for me. For example in the begining battle, I thought that it was nigh insane for troops armed only with bazookas to fight Godzilla when not even the whole might of the JSDF couldn't stop him fifty years ago.
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby bunnyhero » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:19 pm

the funny thing about tezuka's films, for me, have been how they have a really really strong beginning/teaser section, but the rest usually lets me down, just a little. when i first started watching that opening battle scene in GxM i was thinking "yeah, this is what a new millennium godzilla should be like!" but the rest of it didn't live up to that rush (for me, anyway). GxMG and GMMG, while i like them, gave me the same feeling: brilliant opening sequences, followed by something not quite as exciting.

anyone else feel this way?
bunnyhero
Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:48 pm

bunnyhero wrote:the funny thing about tezuka's films, for me, have been how they have a really really strong beginning/teaser section, but the rest usually lets me down, just a little. when i first started watching that opening battle scene in GxM i was thinking "yeah, this is what a new millennium godzilla should be like!" but the rest of it didn't live up to that rush (for me, anyway). GxMG and GMMG, while i like them, gave me the same feeling: brilliant opening sequences, followed by something not quite as exciting.

Some days yes, some days no...

I'm really indecisive :)
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby SparkieGojira » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:54 pm

bunnyhero wrote:the funny thing about tezuka's films, for me, have been how they have a really really strong beginning/teaser section, but the rest usually lets me down, just a little. when i first started watching that opening battle scene in GxM i was thinking "yeah, this is what a new millennium godzilla should be like!" but the rest of it didn't live up to that rush (for me, anyway). GxMG and GMMG, while i like them, gave me the same feeling: brilliant opening sequences, followed by something not quite as exciting.

Yeah diffinately. GXMG's Maser Battle was an awesome start as well.

By the time of TSOS! I was maybe a little jaded to Tezuka's pattern. And also it was hard not to think "Gamera 3" arial battle.
SparkieGojira

Postby SparkieGojira » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:06 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:

i thought GMK did more GINO bashing than any G film to date (with the possible exception of GFW which i havent seen yet)

quote] I was refering to G2K's plot of an alien power trying to duplicate and surplant the real Godzilla and ending up as a big grey ugly thing. :P

And then the film does it's best to put the GOD back in Godzilla, with him showing almost human cunning in his tactics against Orga and metting out selective judgment against human enemy.
SparkieGojira

Postby william newell » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:08 am

My vote went for GXM.
william newell
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Hybrid Gojira » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:07 pm

I voted for Tokyo SOS. Overall, I think it was a better made film and answered many of the questions that GXMG left. The film was still flawed, but it is the best Tezuka film IMO.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast
Hybrid Gojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby jkrouskop » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:43 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed them all, but GXM has such a kick-ass conclusion to its final battle scene, and Godzilla has so much personality in it, that I had to pick it as my favorite.
jkrouskop

Postby DannyBeane » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:17 pm

I agree with you 110% on G2k and that sentence is probably the most intelligent thing written about G2k. I mean seriously I never figured there would be a day I would hear Post Modern Deconstruction and G2k in the same sentence. :lol: Oh well favorite Tezuka film? Hmm this is a toughy. For me all his films seem to have horrible replay value. I imagine GXM is probably the best as I have seen it the most but it's still far from my favorite G film.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby Giganfan » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:18 pm

Alright, here's my take (as if anyone gives a hoot). GODZILLA X MEGAGUIRUS succeds in all areas with the exception of strong, likeable characters. Tsujimori is pretty much a female Yuki, and the actress who portrays her (I forget her name) isn't very good. That's just my opinion though. Other than that, as far as straight science fiction/fantasy goes within the realm of the Godzilla series, GxM is a delight. A few special effects flaws notwithstanding, I always have a great time watching it. Tezuka definately brought some fresh ideas to the table, and scored big.

GODZILLA AGAINST MECHAGODZILLA is my favorite of Tezuka's films. The pace is much, quicker, the effects more polished and the characters are more defined. Akane is a much better interpretation of the type of character that the writers were trying to create in Tsujimori, and the performance (again, the actress' name escapes me) is much more subdued and, dare I say, professional. Overall, it's a better-written movie, and Tezuka definately took a step up with it.

Now TOKYO SOS is a disaster for me. Aside from the great special effects (reaching whole new heights for the series), Hiroshi Koizumi's return, the score and MOTHRA, MOTHRA, MOTHRA (she steals the whole damn film), I feel that Tezuka got a bit carried away with himself. The pace of the movie is about the same as GxMG, but the story is told in a very tedious manner. I don't know, it's just boring as all hell to me. And the mechanic that fixes Kiryu (Once again, I forget! I haven't watched any of these movies in a while, so bear with me!) is a b*tch. Not one of my favorites, but I guess every director is entitled to one stinker.

So, my vote for strongest Tezuka film goes to GODZILLA AGAINST MECHAGODZILLA. As for how well Tezuka stacks up against other Godzilla directors? Well...

Ishiro Honda
Jun Fukuda
Masaaki Tezuka
Takao Okawara

Everyone else only directed once or twice, so I don't really consider them "Godzilla directors". Tezuka did well for the franchise, in my opinion.
"EVERYONE FORGET YOUR TROUBLES! ENJOY YOURSELVES!THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!" - Gigantis The Fire Monster

"It was HUGE...It was...IT WAS LIKE A MONSTER!!! Suddenly the rocks rose...ALIVE!" - Godzilla 1985
Giganfan

Postby MouthForWar » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:37 pm

As far as originality, Megaguirus rules over the others. As far as entertainment, I like Tokyo SOS the most. But I still say Tezuka is pretty unimaginitive in his execution. All 3 of his films are almost exactly the same in many ways, much like the latter day Hesei films. Just unoriginal. He had a stroke of genius with Kiryu's backstory of being the original Godzilla and having the DNA computers, and having random outbursts. But these strokes of brilliance were made so small that they seemed pointless in the grand scheme of things.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Gfan54 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:34 am

"Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S." is my fave of the Tezuka films. "Megaguirus", as a movie, was OK but tended too often to drag and as a result I found about 2/3 of the movie to be quite dull, and as far as monster design goes (despite the connection to "Rodan" being a fairly interesting idea) Megaguirus is merely a giant bug, and (much like kaiju such as Ebirah, Gimantis, Spiga and, yes, even Mothra to an extent) there's just something about overgrown arthropods that just doesn't really do that much for me...I like it when more imagination is put into kaiju designs rather than just simply utilizing a giant insect, etc. for a "monster". As for "Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla" and "Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.", I find both films to be equally pretty good overall, with "Tokyo S.O.S." really only being the better half of one story (that, and I really like the nod to "Yog" by including the Kameba corpse, I just wish we could've seen the kaiju in action again fighting Godzilla before dying).
Gfan54
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:26 pm

I wouldn't really consider any of Tezuka's films "strong" entries in the series.
MouthForWar
Controller

PreviousNext

Return to The Millennium Era: 1999-2005