Strongest Tezuka Film

Discuss the millennium era of Godzilla films! From Godzilla 2000 Millennium to Godzilla Final Wars, these films comprised a wide variety of styles and topics!

Moderator: Controllers

Tezuka's best Godzilla film?

Godzilla X Megagirasu
23%
Godzilla X Mechagodzilla
31%
Godzilla X Mothra X Mechagodzilla: Tokyo SOS!
36%
Godzilla X Mothra X Waffles: Denny's SOS!
10%

Total votes : 131

Strongest Tezuka Film

Postby SparkieGojira » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:13 pm

So what Tezuka film do you think was best?
SparkieGojira

Postby Giganfan » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:52 pm

GODZILLA X MECHAGODZILLA.
"EVERYONE FORGET YOUR TROUBLES! ENJOY YOURSELVES!THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!" - Gigantis The Fire Monster

"It was HUGE...It was...IT WAS LIKE A MONSTER!!! Suddenly the rocks rose...ALIVE!" - Godzilla 1985
Giganfan

Postby Trenton Fella » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:12 pm

Godzilla X Mechagodzilla but I enjoyed T:SOS almost as much as GxMG
Trenton Fella

Postby Emperor Kedzuel » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:28 pm

Waffles? Are we doing that joke again?

Well, me think SOS, but GxMG ranks a close second.
It's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!

Emperor Kedzuel
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Goji66 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:46 pm

The SPFX are amazing in SOS, but GxMG is still the better film.
Goji66

Postby JordanGLC » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:55 pm

Goji66 wrote:The SPFX are amazing in SOS, but GxMG is still the better film.

I completely agree.
Let those who worship evil's might, beware my power...

My Creature Features
JordanGLC
Godzilla

Postby CousinOfGodzilla » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:10 pm

I'm not really fond of any of them, but GxMG's climax clinches it for me.
Cousin

"THIS, is where the power lies, brother!!!"
CousinOfGodzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby anguirus23 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:43 am

GxMG and SOS are dead even in terms of goodness, I can't pick between them. Both blow GxM out of the water though.
anguirus23

Postby Emperor Kedzuel » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:27 am

JordanGLC wrote:
Goji66 wrote:The SPFX are amazing in SOS, but GxMG is still the better film.

I completely agree.

You know I'm gonna have to agree with him as well. Because it is an all Kiryu film, it gives honor to Mechagodzilla. I am happy with it, very happy, Kiryu dances on Godzilla's head. Something he didn't do in SOS. I'm changing my mind.
It's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!

Emperor Kedzuel
Heisei Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:44 am

wow. I figured more people liked Megaguirus more. Oh well. That was my pick. I like the Kiryu movies plenty, but i just LOVE the goji suit in GxM (the follow up suit was decent, but i don't like the mouth) & it just had such a wacky 70's Showa flair to it that i just can't get enough of it. And i may be the only person, it seems, who liked the belly flop the first time i saw it & still like it today! *dodges tomatoes* It was a total salute to the craziness of flying in hedorah and the tail slide in Megalon that i can't help but smile each time i see it.
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby Giganfan » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:53 am

GODZILLA X MEGAGUIRUS is the easiest Tezuka movie to watch for me. None of his Godzilla movies are all that great, but GxM is pretty fun. I think with GODZILLA AGAINST MECHAGODZILLA, Tezuka-san definately matured as a director. So that one got my vote. The less said about TOKYO SOS, the better as far as I'm concerned.
"EVERYONE FORGET YOUR TROUBLES! ENJOY YOURSELVES!THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!" - Gigantis The Fire Monster

"It was HUGE...It was...IT WAS LIKE A MONSTER!!! Suddenly the rocks rose...ALIVE!" - Godzilla 1985
Giganfan

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:03 pm

Personallly, I thought GxMG was the weakest of the 3 Tezuka films. I don't know why, I seem to never enjoy the second film is a series(trilogy or not). Empire Strikes back was my least favorite. G2 was my least favorite. Batman Returns was my least favorite. TMNT 2 was my least favorite, and the list goes on.
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla

Postby CousinOfGodzilla » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:55 pm

TerranigmaFreak wrote:Personallly, I thought GxMG was the weakest of the 3 Tezuka films. I don't know why, I seem to never enjoy the second film is a series(trilogy or not). Empire Strikes back was my least favorite. G2 was my least favorite. Batman Returns was my least favorite. TMNT 2 was my least favorite, and the list goes on.

How can you not like TMNT 2 ? :eek:

"It's a Super Shredder !!!" :P
Cousin

"THIS, is where the power lies, brother!!!"
CousinOfGodzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:04 pm

I chose Tokyo SOS. His first Godzilla film really didn't do it for me but GxMG, despite some things in the plot, was a step up and Tokyo SOS was another step up as well.
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby SparkieGojira » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:29 am

I went with the GxMG do to the outstanding (at least by Tezuka's standards) characters. And Yumiko Shaku just makes Kiryuu work. I can only imagine how much better TSOS! would have worked if it furthered her story as well.
SparkieGojira

Postby JimPV » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:38 am

G against MechaG for me, by a pretty wide margin. Ain't too crazy about the other two.
SparkieGojira wrote:...Yumiko Shaku just makes Kiryuu work. I can only imagine how much better TSOS! would have worked if it furthered her story as well.

Agree.
JimPV
Godzilla

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:22 pm

Yeah Super Shredder's really cool, but outside of that, the movie was lame.

And I for one did not enjoy Yumiko's character. Too over the top IMO. Her scream of "Kiryu, GIVE ME POWER!!" made me cringe a thousand times. Hell, I always fast forward past that part of the movie whenever I watch it.
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla

Postby el-brazo » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:46 pm

GXM anytime! :D
el-brazo

Postby emeGoji » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:48 pm

GXMG
gmk0taku takuGuy Jack B revenge of gmk0taku
emeGoji
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Jim Ballard » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:06 pm

I like them all, don't think I could choose. GxM was just plain fun, though it had some undeniable quirks. GxMG was a lot more action orientated, loved the references and tie-in's to classic Toho kaiju films, and Kiryu was a great step up from that god-awful 1993 design. SOS felt the most "epic", and had some great and consistent effects work (I found the story a little dull at times though). All three had wonderful scores, I'm a great fan of Ms. Oshima's work, surely the Ifukube successor.
Jim Ballard
Monster 01

So Hard To Choose

Postby jamaal7 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:04 pm

I like all of Masaaki Tezuka's Godzilla films, especially the Kiryu Saga. Choosing between GODZILLA X MECHAGODZILLA and GODZILLA X MOTHRA X MECHAGODZILLA was extremely difficult. On any given day, depending on how I feel (or what I want to see), I may 'like' one more than the other.

However, I tend to lean toward GMMG due mainly to the epic kaiju battle that dominates the heart of this film. The three way knock down drag out fight between the titular monsters is one of the best I have seen. Also, the SPFX in GMMG are amongst the best of the series. But, GXMG had a better, more moving human sub plot, driven very well and convincingly by Yumiko Shaku's Akane. And I love the spectacular fight between Godzilla and Kiryu leading to a visually impressive and satisfying ending, one that left the door open for a sequel. So, it's hard to choose between the two films.
“Godzilla is a force. He is not something that can be stopped by human weapons. He is brutal and severe. My Godzilla will be the cruelest and fiercest in the history of the series.â€
jamaal7
Little Godzilla

Postby SparkieGojira » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:49 am

If the ball wasn't so utterly dropped on the plot and characters, TSOS!'s gorgeous Mothra and FX would probrably make it one of my favorite films of all. :(

As is I'm afraid I actually prefer the Mothra for babies Trilogy. :(
SparkieGojira

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:33 pm

if the action was edited better in SOS it would be one of my favorite G movies ever...but its like G and mothra fight, then all of a sudden G is sliding across the ground, and later...G is gettin webs shot at him, then all of a sudden he's like completely shrouded and being carried away...

also, i really feel like kiryu got disrespected in SOS, it was too much of a mothra movie and not enough of a godzilla or kiryu movie, other than having kiryu be damaged in the beginning and godzilla with a scar, its way too much of a stand-alone film and doesn't really build on the first one...

that being said GXMG is the best of the three by far, and its a shame that its conclusion wasnt done better...

GXM is way TOO goofy, when megaguirus first appears, the amount of wires you can see makes me cringe everytime, and the belly-flop is just sad...
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby SparkieGojira » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:38 pm

What really got me about TSOS! was that even though it was too much a Mothra movie to the detriment of the whole Kiryu, Godzilla, Godzilla bones thing, it wasn't even much of a Mothra film at that... :(
SparkieGojira

Postby akuash » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:11 am

I choose GXM. It had a fresher feel than either of his other two movies with an entirely new score and style to the series. He completely bottomed out with GxMG IMO, but made a comeback with GMMG. Unfortunately, all three of his movies suffer from the same problems. A lack of character development and uneven pacing.
akuash
Godzilla Jr.

Next

Return to The Millennium Era: 1999-2005