10 YEARS OF GMK

Discuss the millennium era of Godzilla films! From Godzilla 2000 Millennium to Godzilla Final Wars, these films comprised a wide variety of styles and topics!

Moderator: Controllers

10 YEARS OF GMK

Postby armandv » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:14 am

It's hard to believe, but November 3 will mark ten years since GMK premiered at the Tokyo International Film Festival.

See:

http://armandsrancho.blogspot.com/2011/09/first-japan-trip-10th-anniversary.html
armandv
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:21 am

Don't...really...see how it's hard to believe. The movie didn't rock my world to the extent that I'm shocked 10 years have gone by already. I'm more surprised that it's already been 20 years since Godzilla vs King Ghidora.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby armandv » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:47 am

Legion wrote:Don't...really...see how it's hard to believe. The movie didn't rock my world to the extent that I'm shocked 10 years have gone by already. I'm more surprised that it's already been 20 years since Godzilla vs King Ghidora.

Wait until you get into your 50s. Then time will seem to zip by faster.

More:

http://armandsrancho.blogspot.com/2011/10/ten-years-of-gmk.html
armandv
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Barnzilla » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:03 pm

Time starts to spiral out of control after 40. I went to Japan to see it in December and that ten years was gone in a flash.
Barnzilla
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Giganfan » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:48 pm

I remember when Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah was called, the "NEW Godzilla movie" in my house-hold, having already seen every other G-flick that I was aware of at the time. I was 5-6 years old in '92...geez, even I'm floored by where that time went!

Having seen GMK as a young adult in '04, I can't say the film left such a strong impression on me as Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. However, I just watched it the other night on "Movieplex", and I'd like to share a few thoughts. The thing I was most readily aware of is that the story has so much more "meat on the bone" than I remembered. I think because the Godzilla series had become so ridiculously formulaic over the past two decades, each movie had become more like a feature-length episode than it's own individual work of fiction. GMK, I feel is Shusuke Kaneko's version of what a "standard Godzilla episode" was at the time, with all the familiar "beats". He wasn't allowed to make the movie the way he wanted, so he compromised - I think the old saying is "one for the studio, one for himself".

The characters in GMK regard Godzilla was such surprise and terror, that it was almost comical to me at first, and in truth, some of the scenes of people fleeing and screaming wildly were played for tongue-in-cheek laughs. One of the main thrusts of the story is that "today's generation" regards Godzilla, as well as history in general, with indifference. Kaneko's commentary on the irreverance of today's youth fell on deaf ears with me, at first, because I had been so used to seeing a new Godzilla movie for the past few years, it was kind of hard to imagine that the people in this story hadn't seen or heard of the monster in 50+ years. Had there been a nine-ten year hiatus between GMK and the movie that preceeded it, I think it would have had a much stronger impact.

Don't get me wrong though. I still think Giant Monsters All-Out Attack is a very well-done Godzilla movie. Ultimately, it's not perfect, but I think there is a quality to it that most of the other films in the series (atleast within the last twelve anyway) can only dream of. Kaneko is a very good filmmaker. The only real regret is that we never got to see what he really wanted to do with it.
"EVERYONE FORGET YOUR TROUBLES! ENJOY YOURSELVES!THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!" - Gigantis The Fire Monster

"It was HUGE...It was...IT WAS LIKE A MONSTER!!! Suddenly the rocks rose...ALIVE!" - Godzilla 1985
Giganfan

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:48 pm

GMK has kind of diminished, but it has a very big place in my heart. A lot of crap went down in real life and kind of caused me to revert back to the pure fun that was my love of Godzilla. As a result I followed this things production like crazy, bought Godzilla toys for the first time in years, and I enjoyed the heck out of it. Though I think most of the fault for GMK diminishing is that I've been watching the International dub for most the last few years.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby briizilla » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:59 am

Legion wrote:Don't...really...see how it's hard to believe. The movie didn't rock my world to the extent that I'm shocked 10 years have gone by already. I'm more surprised that it's already been 20 years since Godzilla vs King Ghidora.

Holy!! :shock:

jeez I remember picking up a boot of that on vhs at a comicbook convention back in 93.
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby armandv » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:32 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:GMK has kind of diminished, but it has a very big place in my heart. A lot of crap went down in real life and kind of caused me to revert back to the pure fun that was my love of Godzilla. As a result I followed this things production like crazy, bought Godzilla toys for the first time in years, and I enjoyed the heck out of it. Though I think most of the fault for GMK diminishing is that I've been watching the International dub for most the last few years.

Here's what I wrote about GMK at the time:

http://armandsrancho.blogspot.com/2011/10/tokyo-international-film-festival-shows.html
armandv
Heisei Godzilla

Postby rockstarbd82 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:27 pm

as much as this may not be my preferred g-film, and the fact i really would've preferred if they stuck with the Varan, Anguirus, Baragon idea, i'll still say happy 10 year anniversery :wink:
"ooooo GODZILLA is "roasting" KING KONG.!!!!"
rockstarbd82
Godzilla Jr.

Postby jamaal7 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:58 am

GMK remains my favorite film of the entire series after Gojira.

Everything about the film: the story, the title, the designs, the strong human characters evoke the best of the Showa Series films. GMK has that characteristic realism we experience in the outstanding Gamera trilogy of Shusuke Kaneko. You feel, naturally, without having to think about it, that the events unfolding in front of you are actually happening. It is also the most Japanese of the recent films, drawing as it does on Shinto mythology. This is undoubtedly one of the reasons why it resonated so well with audiences in Japan. There is an authenticity, a genuineness that runs throughout GMK. It has 'soul.' There is no cynical attempt to pander to certain demographics or the need to blatantly rip off Hollywood films, as we saw in some of the Heisei entries.

In short, Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack embodies, to a great degree, and with much success, what is great about the Godzilla series: it is moving, visually stunning, well written and thoroughly entertaining.

GMK is great companion to have in the winter of anticipation of what new Godzilla films will come.
“Godzilla is a force. He is not something that can be stopped by human weapons. He is brutal and severe. My Godzilla will be the cruelest and fiercest in the history of the series.â€
jamaal7
Little Godzilla

Postby planetxleader » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:31 am

rockstarbd82 wrote:as much as this may not be my preferred g-film, and the fact i really would've preferred if they stuck with the Varan, Anguirus, Baragon idea, i'll still say happy 10 year anniversery :wink:

I think everyone will agree it would of been way better to see the original monsters in this film. :)

Certainly not the best Godzilla movie, but admittedly one of the better ones. And certainly one of the best (if not the best) of the Millennium series. I've been having a hankering to watch this again. It happens from time to time. Strangely, I think this time it's coming from the fact that I've been in a Zelda mood, what with the new game out, and I have this want of fantasy-themed stories, be it 100% fantasy or just something lightly themed like GMK. Guess I oughta watch it again soon before that want fizzles out.
"Vishnu takes on his multi-armed form, and says, "RAAAAAHHHOOO!!!'"
planetxleader
Heisei Godzilla

Postby armandv » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:05 pm

I became overdosed on the movie after a while. I saw it in Japan. At G-Fest. At USC. At the Egyptian. I have 2 versions on DVD.

This is one movie that cries out to be re-released on DVD with the subtitles corrected. That one was botched.
armandv
Heisei Godzilla

Postby william newell » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:21 am

armandv wrote:I became overdosed on the movie after a while. I saw it in Japan. At G-Fest. At USC. At the Egyptian. I have 2 versions on DVD.

This is one movie that cries out to be re-released on DVD with the subtitles corrected. That one was botched.

I couldn't agree more...with the re-releasing part, that is. DTS audio would be nice too! :D
william newell
Heisei Godzilla

Postby planetxleader » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:01 am

armandv wrote:I became overdosed on the movie after a while. I saw it in Japan. At G-Fest. At USC. At the Egyptian. I have 2 versions on DVD.

Yeah, I had the same thing. I had seen it on the big screen here in Atlanta, and that was shortly after watching it at home, then I saw it at G-Fest. There was a point where I was like "Ugh, okay, I don't feel like watching it anytime soon." But, here I am. :)

And yes, this definitely needs a definitive North American DVD/Bluray! I hate it when I lend this movie to somebody and I have to give them Sony's current disc.
planetxleader
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jamaal7 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:01 pm

GMK deserves a quality re-release. For me that would mean including features from the Region 2 set, specifically, "The Making of GMK" fully subtitled by Norman England. And while we're at it, yes, the whole movie should be re-subtitled. Interactive menus would be nice too. Something akin to what Classic Media did with "Gojira." Also, a full length commentary by Shusuke Kaneko and Makoto Kamiya.

Then use my avatar for the cover art.

And that would just about do it.
“Godzilla is a force. He is not something that can be stopped by human weapons. He is brutal and severe. My Godzilla will be the cruelest and fiercest in the history of the series.â€
jamaal7
Little Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:40 pm

lol.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby armandv » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:36 pm

My old GMK "Battle on Fire" screensaver inexplicably started up on my old computer. I thought it was long gone.

Anyone else still have that screensaver?
armandv
Heisei Godzilla

Postby planetxleader » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:59 pm

I remember that! Along with the wallpaper, which I fondly remember being noticed by a computer repair guy ("cool wallpaper!").

Unfortunately, that screen saver is long gone. :(
planetxleader
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jamaal7 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:32 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:lol.

No "lol."

Seriously. GMK deserves a deluxe, chocked-with-features-release.

Why? Because Kaneko's Godzilla is that good.
jamaal7
Little Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:28 am

jamaal7 wrote:

No "lol."

I don't agree...it's a middle-of-the-pack movie if you ask me
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Gman2887 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:35 am

jamaal7 wrote:

No "lol."

Here, here. One of the oldest posters on MZ gets it. Go figure.
Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:35 am

While I don't feel it's middle of the pack, I DO feel it's a bit overhyped in the same way Gamera 3 is. Most of its weakness lying in the mystical mumbo jumbo that never quite jives with me (though in GMK it feels a bit more coherent).

I lol'ed at the notion of it getting such a DVD treatment.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gman2887 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:41 am

MekaGojira3k wrote:I lol'ed at the notion of it getting such a DVD treatment.

It's unlikely, but Jammal makes a great point. GMK is a standout film in the series. It's a fan favorite and deserves the classic media/media blasters treatment. I can't stand the botched subtitles on the Sony disc or the fact that its treated like another run-of-the-mill Godzilla movie. (Which, to Sony, they all are.)

Although, I will admit, I like the changes made to the original poster for the box art. The red works a little more. Although my preferred cover would be:

http://www.moviegoods.com/movie_poster/ ... k_2001.htm
Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:30 am

MekaGojira3k wrote:While I don't feel it's middle of the pack, I DO feel it's a bit overhyped in the same way Gamera 3 is. Most of its weakness lying in the mystical mumbo jumbo that never quite jives with me (though in GMK it feels a bit more coherent).

I feel like the mystical mumbo jumbo works LESS for Godzilla than for Gamera...

Stuff like "Yes, when he made that gesture in the cell, I'm sure this is what he meant." and "Did you see that? That wasn't there before" (I still haven't seen it...) just make it seem goofy.

The monster action in this movie is among the very best in the series (save for Godzilla's plush-doll foot lightly padding Baragon's face), but a lot of the stuff in the human plot is just silly.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:31 am

jellydonut25 wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:While I don't feel it's middle of the pack, I DO feel it's a bit overhyped in the same way Gamera 3 is. Most of its weakness lying in the mystical mumbo jumbo that never quite jives with me (though in GMK it feels a bit more coherent).

I feel like the mystical mumbo jumbo works LESS for Godzilla than for Gamera...

Stuff like "Yes, when he made that gesture in the cell, I'm sure this is what he meant." and "Did you see that? That wasn't there before" (I still haven't seen it...) just make it seem goofy.

The monster action in this movie is among the very best in the series (save for Godzilla's plush-doll foot lightly padding Baragon's face), but a lot of the stuff in the human plot is just silly.

Like I said, the workings of it make more sense initially than Gamera 3's did.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Next

Return to The Millennium Era: 1999-2005