Ryûhei Kitamura Wants To Return To Kaiju??

Discuss the millennium era of Godzilla films! From Godzilla 2000 Millennium to Godzilla Final Wars, these films comprised a wide variety of styles and topics!

Moderator: Controllers

Ryûhei Kitamura Wants To Return To Kaiju??

Postby AVERY GUERRA » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:49 pm

A great interview with the director to where he discusses his films new and old and even talks about G.F.W. plus reveals his desire to make a new kaiju film:

http://injapan.gaijinpot.com/2010/03/29 ... -ryuhei-2/

"I’d be more than happy to revive the tradition in the future and do a new kaiju movie.â€
AVERY GUERRA
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:29 pm

I'm not quite sure this is thread worthy since all RK said was he wouldn't mind coming back to the kaiju genre.... not quite news if you ask me and this should probably be in the "Rodan, Yongary, etc" forum as its not about Godzilla really.

But for the sake of conversation... as much of a mess as GFW is, I think Kitamura is a decent director. I thought Midnight Meat Train was one of the best horror films of the last decade. I've seen a lot of his work and unfortunately, GFW is his worst film by far. If he ever decided to make his own original kaiju film, I'd support it.

And I completely agree with him about the Showa era being the best era of Godzilla films and I like his attitude on suits vs. CG.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:33 pm

Eh...I have to say that Final Wars is the only Godzilla movie that I honestly don't like...that being said he is a pretty good director and Meat Train was an amazing, atmospheric movie...I'd like to see him give it another go again someday...maybe Ultraman or Kamen Rider or something...actually I think he'd make an awesome Kamen Rider movie now that I think of it
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:06 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing a Kitamura kaiju flick wherein he has more control over the overall creative process. Let's be honest, we all know Toho isn't the easiest company to work for, and every other movie he's done has been totally decent (well, i've only seen Versus and Midnight Meat Train personally)...

he just doesn't mix well with Toho or Godzilla, and this is coming from someone that enjoyed Final Wars for what it was...

but I would actually be pretty stoked to see him return to kaiju films, or TV
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:12 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing a Kitamura kaiju flick wherein he has more control over the overall creative process. Let's be honest, we all know Toho isn't the easiest company to work for, and every other movie he's done has been totally decent (well, i've only seen Versus and Midnight Meat Train personally)...

he just doesn't mix well with Toho or Godzilla, and this is coming from someone that enjoyed Final Wars for what it was...

but I would actually be pretty stoked to see him return to kaiju films, or TV

I'm still wondering how his Godzilla-only original story for the film would have panned out.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby KaiserGhidorah » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:47 pm

Honestly, I couldn't stand Versus...I thought it was garbage. I think GFW is miles ahead of that film.
KaiserGhidorah
Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:09 am

King_Ghidorah wrote:Eh...I have to say that Final Wars is the only Godzilla movie that I honestly don't like...that being said he is a pretty good director and Meat Train was an amazing, atmospheric movie...I'd like to see him give it another go again someday...maybe Ultraman or Kamen Rider or something...actually I think he'd make an awesome Kamen Rider movie now that I think of it

I would totally get behind an RK Kamen Rider!
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Norman England » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:01 am

Well, seeing how work is hard to find for everyone in the movie industry in Japan nowadays, saying you will work in any field is a given.
Norman England
Baby Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:26 am

MouthForWar wrote:
King_Ghidorah wrote:Eh...I have to say that Final Wars is the only Godzilla movie that I honestly don't like...that being said he is a pretty good director and Meat Train was an amazing, atmospheric movie...I'd like to see him give it another go again someday...maybe Ultraman or Kamen Rider or something...actually I think he'd make an awesome Kamen Rider movie now that I think of it

I would totally get behind an RK Kamen Rider!

I could see him doing this before any of the other stuff. Kitamura's Kamen Rider would be insane, and I'd probably love it.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:59 am

Nobody wants to do expensive, old-fashioned kaiju movies. For me, the beauty of the kaiju movie is the retro man-in-rubber-suits style, not CG; it has more soul. Godzilla: Final Wars was the last movie made in that style.

Out of touch much?

Ultraman the Next (2004)
Gamera the Brave (2006)
Ultraman Mebius & The Ultra Brothers (2006)
The Super 8 Ultra Brothers (2008)
Gehara (2009; yeah, a short film but I'm still counting it)
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:24 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:
Nobody wants to do expensive, old-fashioned kaiju movies. For me, the beauty of the kaiju movie is the retro man-in-rubber-suits style, not CG; it has more soul. Godzilla: Final Wars was the last movie made in that style.

Out of touch much?

Ultraman the Next (2004)
Gamera the Brave (2006)
Death Kappa, Monster X Strikes Back.

Also, is G done with suits or CG???
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby kiryugoji04 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:35 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
kiryugoji04 wrote:

Out of touch much?

Ultraman the Next (2004)
Gamera the Brave (2006)
Death Kappa, Monster X Strikes Back.

Also, is G done with suits or CG???

Suits, though it is more on the indie side so I was a little more hesitant to count it.

There is also Reigo and Raiga though, if we want to count indie stuff.
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby AVERY GUERRA » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:52 pm

Also "Demeking" and "Ichimotsu"...and "The Fog Horn"... :)
AVERY GUERRA
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Kaiju Nexus » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:41 pm

He says he's a fan of "old-school techniques" and the older Godzilla films, yet he dedicated the vast majority of Godzilla's anniversary film to paying homage to X-Men, the Matrix and Star Wars.

Something doesn't jive there.

"Because, if we didn't debate over silly nonsense, we wouldn't be fans. :) "

- pocketmego
Kaiju Nexus
Heisei Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:54 pm

Kaiju Nexus wrote:He says he's a fan of "old-school techniques" and the older Godzilla films, yet he dedicated the vast majority of Godzilla's anniversary film to paying homage to X-Men, the Matrix and Star Wars.

Hahaha...very true, Final Wars is a mess and he certainly did miss out on a lot of those other kaiju films you guys mentioned...tho none of them really became even moderate successes so it's pretty easy to forgive as most Japanese film goers probably don't remember them either...unless that is you're a fanboy
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:00 pm

Kaiju Nexus wrote:He says he's a fan of "old-school techniques" and the older Godzilla films, yet he dedicated the vast majority of Godzilla's anniversary film to paying homage to X-Men, the Matrix and Star Wars.

Who cares? Most post-Showa Godzilla movies have SHAMELESSLY ripped (more like plagiarized) countless big American flicks. Its nothing new for the series at all. Godzilla movies since the 90s have been more like the Roger Corman blockbuster rip offs of the 70s and 80s. They just cash in on recent trends (vsMothra/Indiana Jones, vsKG/Terminator, vsDestroyah/Aliens, GxMG and Tokyo SOS/Evangelion, etc.). Honestly I've come to always expect plagiarism from Godzilla movies... sadly.

The homages to X-Men and the Matrix were the least of GFW's MANY problems if you ask me and including them doesn't make RK any more or less of a fan... There's just as many references to the Showa era (Gorath, Monster Zero, DAM, etc.), so I don't see what the big deal is. I agree that the Matrix stuff is ANNOYING, but the movie has much bigger problems and it doesn't bother me any more than all the the T2 stuff in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah.
Last edited by MouthForWar on Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:04 pm

MouthForWar wrote:

Who cares? Most post-Showa Godzilla movies have SHAMELESSLY ripped (more like plagiarized) countless big American flicks. Its nothing new for the series at all. The homages to X-Men and the Matrix were the least of GFW's MANY problems if you ask me and including them doesn't make RK any more or less of a fan... Its just that he did a poor job of incorporating some of them.

Some of them? My friend I dare you to find the "homages" that he pulled off well in that film....

Look, I like the guy as a director but FW is a mess of a film in every way possible...and for me personally it doesn't really feel like a 70's film...aliens and kung fu aside, which is what he was going for so I would chalk up FW as a fail for him...but he had fun making it at least..I think somehow Toho pressured him away from making a film he really wanted to make

Seriously though...any fan of the horror genre should check out Midnight Meat Train...this guy is capable of some great work
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Shonokin » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:09 pm

AVERY GUERRA wrote:Also "Demeking" and "Ichimotsu"...and "The Fog Horn"... :)

Which is the one about the turtle, that looks like a Shinya Tsukamoto movie? That was suits and puppets too I think.
Shonokin
Monster 01

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:11 pm

King_Ghidorah wrote:
MouthForWar wrote:

Who cares? Most post-Showa Godzilla movies have SHAMELESSLY ripped (more like plagiarized) countless big American flicks. Its nothing new for the series at all. The homages to X-Men and the Matrix were the least of GFW's MANY problems if you ask me and including them doesn't make RK any more or less of a fan... Its just that he did a poor job of incorporating some of them.

King_Ghidorah wrote:Some of them? My friend I dare you to find the "homages" that he pulled off well in that film....

Well, I was trying not to be too harsh... some of the homages to earlier films like Gorath, I think work... the Matrix/X-Men stuff... not so much. I didn't mind the Return of the Jedi core explosion thing since that's been done before and since in a lot of sci fi films.

King_Ghidorah wrote:Look, I like the guy as a director but FW is a mess of a film in every way possible...and for me personally it doesn't really feel like a 70's film.

No doubt the movie is a giant clusterf*ck. I think it has the same dumb spirit of the 70s films, just updated... so I can see both your point and his.

King_Ghidorah wrote:I think somehow Toho pressured him away from making a film he really wanted to make

Well his original idea he wanted to do didn't even have any other monsters, just Godzilla. Something about prisoners on a transport vehicle (think Con Air) run into Godzilla and he breaks free and goes crazy or something...

King_Ghidorah wrote:Seriously though...any fan of the horror genre should check out Midnight Meat Train...this guy is capable of some great work

True dat... great film.
Last edited by MouthForWar on Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:15 pm

Yeah....the con air idea seemed really interesting...if I recall correctly they crashed on an island of sorts or something that Godzilla was sleeping on...things go down hill from there...which is a marvelous idea for a film, tho I'd personally have the cons crash on a monster island sort of place so multiple different types of kaiju could pick everyone off...think I'm gonna go write a short story about that now lol
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:19 pm

King_Ghidorah wrote:Yeah....the con air idea seemed really interesting...if I recall correctly they crashed on an island of sorts or something that Godzilla was sleeping on...things go down hill from there...which is a marvelous idea for a film, tho I'd personally have the cons crash on a monster island sort of place so multiple different types of kaiju could pick everyone off...think I'm gonna go write a short story about that now lol

I would have rather seen the "cons trapped on an island" film myself too... You need to pick up where RK left off and write that thing and submit it to Legendary Pictures! :wink:
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:26 pm

Haha...nah I'm good...I would never want to work for Toho man...Kadokawa or Toei in a second, maybe even Tsuburuya but Toho is just so strict with their property...it'd just be too much of a headache trying to write anything original or unique, or dare say it...fun for a company like that...just my two cents...would be cool if a fan did have a say in that film...I'm passing the batton back to you bro...go for it Mouth! lol :D
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:00 pm

i don't see how including something other than what you claim to be a fan of makes you somehow less of a fan...

it'd be like if i said I was a huge fan of puppies and then bought a kitten...
i dont like puppies any less, i just have this kitten.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby kiryugoji04 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:41 pm

King_Ghidorah wrote:

Hahaha...very true, Final Wars is a mess and he certainly did miss out on a lot of those other kaiju films you guys mentioned...tho none of them really became even moderate successes so it's pretty easy to forgive as most Japanese film goers probably don't remember them either...unless that is you're a fanboy

Super 8 Ultra Brothers was the highest-grossing Ultraman film of all time.
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby AVERY GUERRA » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:10 pm

Shonokin wrote:
AVERY GUERRA wrote:Also "Demeking" and "Ichimotsu"...and "The Fog Horn"... :)

Which is the one about the turtle, that looks like a Shinya Tsukamoto movie? That was suits and puppets too I think.

That would be "Ichimotsu" or as we fans like to refer to it as "Daikaiju Gami". The "The Fog Horn" film uses puppets and miniatures and "Demeking: The Sea Monster" uses puppets and if I'm not mistaken suits as well. 8-)
AVERY GUERRA
Heisei Godzilla

Next

Return to The Millennium Era: 1999-2005