TALKBACK #28: Godzilla Final Wars

Discuss the millennium era of Godzilla films! From Godzilla 2000 Millennium to Godzilla Final Wars, these films comprised a wide variety of styles and topics!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:26 pm

MouthForWar wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:Interesting. I wonder if Kitamura's idea would have been better or worse than Final Wars.

I'm gonna say it probably would have been better and more creative.
It probably would have worked better if only for the fact that it was his idea, so he would have had a better idea of where to take the story....
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:30 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
MouthForWar wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:Interesting. I wonder if Kitamura's idea would have been better or worse than Final Wars.

I'm gonna say it probably would have been better and more creative.
It probably would have worked better if only for the fact that it was his idea, so he would have had a better idea of where to take the story....

Not only that, but it was a more simple idea. GFW has so many ideas and subplots crowbared into it that its just a mess of a narrative. RK's original idea would have been a more scaled back and natural approach.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Goji 84 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:41 pm

IMO, this is Toho's worst SPX film of all time, right behind REBIRTH OF MOTHRA II. It's actually gotten worse every time I've tried to watch it again.

I seriously doubt I'll ever bother watching it again in it's entirety, and most definitely won't bother buying a BD release. No amount of alcohol can make this movie any better.

If people dig it, that's fine; as long as they don't try to convince others it's some kind of underrated masterpiece.
Goji 84
Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:27 pm

Goji 84 wrote:If people dig it, that's fine; as long as they don't try to convince others it's some kind of underrated masterpiece.

What I've discovered lately is that some folks who love this film (keep in mind I said some) seem to be at a loss for words as to why they say it's such a great film, so they make blanket statements like "It's a throwback to the Showa series" and "I liked the story" and stuff like that. Which is fine, but then they follow it up with some BS reason why said story works, or not even stating a reason at all. Most people have explanations; however, to me it is painfully obvious that some of these people say these things to basically say "screw you haters" to people who dislike the film. I'm all for opinions, but on another message board, one user described it as "by far the best Godzilla film". Please. Your favorite does not equal the best.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:53 pm

The Real McCoy wrote:
Goji 84 wrote:If people dig it, that's fine; as long as they don't try to convince others it's some kind of underrated masterpiece.

What I've discovered lately is that some folks who love this film (keep in mind I said some) seem to be at a loss for words as to why they say it's such a great film, so they make blanket statements like "It's a throwback to the Showa series" and "I liked the story" and stuff like that. Which is fine, but then they follow it up with some BS reason why said story works, or not even stating a reason at all. Most people have explanations; however, to me it is painfully obvious that some of these people say these things to basically say "screw you haters" to people who dislike the film. I'm all for opinions, but on another message board, one user described it as "by far the best Godzilla film". Please. Your favorite does not equal the best.

Yeah, see, I like this movie, but I'd never try to tell anyone its a good movie.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby The Real McCoy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:59 pm

MouthForWar wrote:Yeah, see, I like this movie, but I'd never try to tell anyone its a good movie.

It's just that after a while, the discussions boil down to basically this:

Person 1: "[Insert reason why they think it sucks here]"

Person 2: "Nuh-uh!"

They don't always go like that, but it happens often.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:27 pm

The Real McCoy wrote:
MouthForWar wrote:Yeah, see, I like this movie, but I'd never try to tell anyone its a good movie.

It's just that after a while, the discussions boil down to basically this:

Person 1: "[Insert reason why they think it sucks here]"

Person 2: "Nuh-uh!"

They don't always go like that, but it happens often.

True...

I can go on forever on why I hate this movie....but I've said my piece on it by this point. Debating the merits of this films with other kaiju fans while watching the movie could be fun...but aside from that...I really don't want to think about this film ever again :lol:
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Mac » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:22 pm

*whistles*
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:25 pm

Godzilla vs. Megalon also sucks, but I'd rather watch it (and GFW) over a slew of other films from the series...
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:55 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:Godzilla vs. Megalon also sucks, but I'd rather watch it (and GFW) over a slew of other films from the series...

Yeah. It seems like some films that aren't as GODAWFUL bad as those two seem to be regarded are still GODAWFUL BORING.

At least Megalon and GFW are crazy.
Plus, Don Frye.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:02 am

Mac: Your avatar and sig have won you 5,000 internets, good sir.
Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:21 am

I might name my first child after you now Mac
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby rockstarbd82 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:41 am

sometimes i feel like i'm the only GFW fan around :cry:
"ooooo GODZILLA is "roasting" KING KONG.!!!!"
rockstarbd82
Godzilla Jr.

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:44 am

I would probably love GFW if the monsters were on the screen for like...20 more minutes or so. Because I had such fun when they were, but the sad fact is that they are not on the screen much at all.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby rockstarbd82 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:51 am

MekaGojira3k wrote:I would probably love GFW if the monsters were on the screen for like...20 more minutes or so. Because I had such fun when they were, but the sad fact is that they are not on the screen much at all.

i will agree with that. had the monster fights been at least 5 min longer each, the film itself would've been golden. the problem def falls on the fact that there's too much focus on the human plot rather than the monsters. but this human story and martial arts was just so whacky/in your face that it still kept my interest while i'm waiting for the monsters to show up.
rockstarbd82
Godzilla Jr.

Postby kiryugoji04 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:53 am

rockstarbd82 wrote:sometimes i feel like i'm the only GFW fan around :cry:

...in my household, yes! 8D
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby rockstarbd82 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:55 am

kiryugoji04 wrote:
rockstarbd82 wrote:sometimes i feel like i'm the only GFW fan around :cry:

...in my household, yes! 8D

GMK vs GFW next movie night we have when I'm in GA . . .

whaddya say??? :lol:
rockstarbd82
Godzilla Jr.

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:30 pm

I have found Godzilla: Final Wars to be a pretty fun experience with friends, more so than other Godzilla films.

Though that may be owed entirely to its ineptitude as a film.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Goji 84 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:26 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:
Though that may be owed entirely to its ineptitude as a film.

More than likely, yes.
Goji 84
Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:57 pm

I know this film isn't popular, but I'd just like to say that nearly every single monster re-design here is a billion times better than the re-designs in the Heisei series and in some cases, close to the original incarnations (the Godzilla suit is fantastic, Gigan looks great, and Mothra is awesome) in terms of excellence.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby kiryugoji04 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:00 pm

To add to that, I want to reiterate that I like pretty much everything about this film except for the final execution of the film itself. I mean the designs, the costumes, the characters, most of the story (I like Minya but even on paper his subplot is pointless), everything. Then when I try and watch the film I want to kill children.

W. T. F. It's really a crying shame it turned out the way it did.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:47 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:I know this film isn't popular, but I'd just like to say that nearly every single monster re-design here is a billion times better than the re-designs in the Heisei series and in some cases, close to the original incarnations (the Godzilla suit is fantastic, Gigan looks great, and Mothra is awesome) in terms of excellence.

You know, that something that is often left off in the hate for this film. Horrible film, but some absolutely amazing looking suits.

Though the Godzilla suit could be a lot better with a re-worked head, and the Rodan looks a bit off...it's close to being great but it needs some work.

I do love the Angilas, Gigan and Manda though. Even the Minya is great...though his place in the film is another matter
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Yeah...the Minya suit actually might be BETTER than the original.

Thus further proving my point that, lazy writing or not, the Millenium films tried to do a little more than just cash in on previous monsters, as opposed to the Heisei films, where Bandai toys could have been more effectively used than the suits/props created.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:45 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:Thus further proving my point that, lazy writing or not, the Millenium films tried to do a little more than just cash in on previous monsters, as opposed to the Heisei films, where Bandai toys could have been more effectively used than the suits/props created.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E6t37NRfN8
Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:03 am

jellydonut25 wrote:Yeah...the Minya suit actually might be BETTER than the original.

Thus further proving my point that, lazy writing or not, the Millenium films tried to do a little more than just cash in on previous monsters, as opposed to the Heisei films, where Bandai toys could have been more effectively used than the suits/props created.

Yeah, I really love the Minya suit here, as well as pretty much all of the suits (minus the godawful Kaiser Ghidorah) for Final Wars.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to The Millennium Era: 1999-2005