Okay, it is 2010, shouldn't there be a new movie this year?

Discuss the millennium era of Godzilla films! From Godzilla 2000 Millennium to Godzilla Final Wars, these films comprised a wide variety of styles and topics!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby metal_bryan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:11 am

I can't believe some of the things being said in this thread. :lol: Oh lord...

I'll eat a dumptruck of crow if I'm wrong, but seriously? This just doesn't seem realistic at all. This has about as much chance as TOHO making Bagan vs. Godzilla next year. None at all.
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:17 am

Yeah...im biting my tounge here...but I'm not one to dash the hopes of others..I'm just saying given Toho's history it doesnt make much sense for them to essentially compete with themeselves...

But for all of those who want this to happen I'll just say...that while I hope for my sake that this never comes to pass...at the same time I don't want to be a dick about this anymore then disagreeing with you all automatically makes me...so, if this happens then I will gladly eat crow...till then I'll just say I don't see this happening or why anyone would want it to if the Legendary film is even half good
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:20 am

King_Ghidorah wrote:Yeah...im biting my tounge here...but I'm not one to dash the hopes of others..I'm just saying given Toho's history it doesnt make much sense for them to essentially compete with themeselves...

But for all of those who want this to happen I'll just say...that while I hope for my sake that this never comes to pass...at the same time I don't want to be a dick about this anymore then disagreeing with you all automatically makes me...so, if this happens then I will gladly eat crow...till then I'll just say I don't see this happening or why anyone would want it to if the Legendary film is even half good

I have to agree with what you've said. Toho would be insane to make another film at the moment, heck anyone would be insane to attempt to make another one. I side with those in saying that Toho should not make another one at the moment.
I got no problem with anybody who jumps into a Starfury and rides fire! (Babylon 5)
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Cookie » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:47 pm

King_Ghidorah wrote:Yeah...im biting my tounge here...but I'm not one to dash the hopes of others..I'm just saying given Toho's history it doesnt make much sense for them to essentially compete with themeselves...

I completely understand. I'm not really HOPING or WISHING that TOHO makes one inbetween, just saying I wouldn't be SURPRISED if they did. I'm just going to kinda sit back and see what happens.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:49 pm

Cookson wrote:

I completely understand. I'm not really HOPING or WISHING that TOHO makes one inbetween, just saying I wouldn't be SURPRISED if they did. I'm just going to kinda sit back and see what happens.

I'd be really surprised. Shocked would be more appropriate. That's just me being rational though.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby walshiam » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:18 pm

Cookson wrote:
metal_bryan wrote:Not going to happen.

I disagree. I'm not saying it will happen, but I'd be shocked if they didn't. Creativeness aside, Toho makes the movies for money... and even though GFW tanked, a Legendary Pictures G movie obviously is going to spike the interest up again, and then TOHO will make that decision if they want to make another one 10 years after GFW.

No. All Toho has to do now is sit back and reap profits from the LP film(s). No need to produce new Godzilla films when they have LP lined up to do all the risk taking. Toho has sole distribution and merchandising rights in Japan.
walshiam
Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:39 pm

walshiam wrote:
Cookson wrote:
metal_bryan wrote:Not going to happen.

I disagree. I'm not saying it will happen, but I'd be shocked if they didn't. Creativeness aside, Toho makes the movies for money... and even though GFW tanked, a Legendary Pictures G movie obviously is going to spike the interest up again, and then TOHO will make that decision if they want to make another one 10 years after GFW.

No. All Toho has to do now is sit back and reap profits from the LP film(s). No need to produce new Godzilla films when they have LP lined up to do all the risk taking. Toho has sole distribution and merchandising rights in Japan.

Exactly...I think the LP Goji movie will fare better than GINO, and even if it didn't I don't see another knee jerk reaction like the Millennium series every happening again.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Mac » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:16 am

Norman England wrote:Making Godzilla films is tiring and the profits hardly justify it. One thing Godzilla films have that other most films don't in Japan is a picky, demanding fan base. Letting Legendary deal with fans is probably in Toho's best interest.

Japanese Godzilla fans are as anal as American fans?
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Norman England » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:47 am

Mac wrote:Japanese Godzilla fans are as anal as American fans?

If you can believe it, they are worse. They also have a bit of national pride over Godzilla going.

Some have an attitude like, "you are not Japanese, you can never fully understand Godzilla." To which I like to come back with, "Yes. It is like Star Wars. You are not American, you can never fully understand Star Wars."
That usually shuts them up fast.
Norman England
Baby Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:20 am

Norman England wrote:

If you can believe it, they are worse. They also have a bit of national pride over Godzilla going.

Some have an attitude like, "you are not Japanese, you can never fully understand Godzilla." To which I like to come back with, "Yes. It is like Star Wars. You are not American, you can never fully understand Star Wars."

Excellent comeback, sir. :lol:

I think it's fascinating to hear anything about the Japanese side of the fandom, simply because I've never heard anything about it.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby walshiam » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:50 pm

Norman England wrote:

I do hope that this new film doesn't compromise Godzilla's origins in any way. A lot of the appeal of the character is driven by the qualities that make him unique. Godzilla is distinctly Japanese and it would be a huge mistake to ignore that. I'm all for an american Godzilla film as long as LP doesn't forget this.
walshiam
Godzilla

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:15 am

Norman England wrote:

Ay caramba, and here I thought that the Japanese public is on the same level of distate for Godzilla with their American counterparts.
I got no problem with anybody who jumps into a Starfury and rides fire! (Babylon 5)
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Norman England » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:28 am

The thing I hate the most are the fans in Japan who designate themselves either "Tezuka" or "Kaneko" fans.

The Tezuka types are happy to see Godzilla have a small fan base of hardcore fans. They consider themselves connoisseurs and, in their opinion, are the only ones that truly understand what makes Godzilla Godzilla.

Kaneko types are ones who don't mind seeing new things added to the genre. They are more interested in a film experience than a Godzilla experience. These types want to see regular people and not just hardcore fans enjoying Godzilla.

Most Godzilla fans know how much time I put on the GMK set from when I wrote articles for the Toho website so they automatically think I am "Kaneko type." What they fail to get through their F-ing skulls is I spent more time on the Tezuka sets than the Kaneko set.

I guess what I'm saying is, why is everything in fandom one or the other? Can't I like both Kaneko and Tezuka?
Norman England
Baby Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:30 am

Norman England wrote:
I guess what I'm saying is, why is everything in fandom one or the other? Can't I like both Kaneko and Tezuka?

Sadly, most fandoms don't work that way. Like one or the other, dammit! You're not allowed to like both!
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby walshiam » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:16 pm

^^and though my two fave Godzilla films are "Gojira" & "Gojira Tai Hedorah", each a representation of two totally different sides of Godzilla, I like them both equally. They both ARE Godzilla.
walshiam
Godzilla

Postby ryuuseipro » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:53 pm

Norman England wrote:The thing I hate the most are the fans in Japan who designate themselves either "Tezuka" or "Kaneko" fans.

The Tezuka types are happy to see Godzilla have a small fan base of hardcore fans. They consider themselves connoisseurs and, in their opinion, are the only ones that truly understand what makes Godzilla Godzilla.

Kaneko types are ones who don't mind seeing new things added to the genre. They are more interested in a film experience than a Godzilla experience. These types want to see regular people and not just hardcore fans enjoying Godzilla.

Most Godzilla fans know how much time I put on the GMK set from when I wrote articles for the Toho website so they automatically think I am "Kaneko type." What they fail to get through their F-ing skulls is I spent more time on the Tezuka sets than the Kaneko set.

Me, I just like Godzilla!

I don't care who directs, even though I'm certainly not an "Oomori type." :P
-John Cassidy
Richmond, VA
http://ryuuseipro.livejournal.com/

"The monster a child knows best and is most concerned with [is] the monster he feels or fears himself to be." -Bruno Bettelheim
ryuuseipro
Heisei Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:58 pm

I love Godzilla but my passion is for the showa flicks and first and first 2 heisei flicks. :(
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:19 pm

Andrew Nguyen wrote:
Norman England wrote:

Ay caramba, and here I thought that the Japanese public is on the same level of distate for Godzilla with their American counterparts.

They are. Norman was talking about Japanese Godzilla fans, which are a small minority compared to the overall Japanese populace that doesn't care about Godzilla at all, just like in America.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:17 pm

Norman England wrote:

Dear lord, fandom is scary. It sounds like we're pretty tame compared to what you described.
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Norman England » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:50 pm

TerranigmaFreak wrote: Dear lord, fandom is scary. It sounds like we're pretty tame compared to what you described.

Actually, as insane as it is in the US, it's much worse in Japan. Recently, I've been working for the Sushi Typhoon line at Nikkatsu. Its creator and producer Chiba said to me he is extremely impressed at how US fans can organize and make interesting website. He said that fans in Japan just can't get along enough to do anything like their US counterparts. A site like Sci-Fi Japan is unheard of in Japan. And, you know, he's right.

Japanese people have a lot of good qualities, but they also have a lot of anti-social tendencies. And much of kaiju fandom in Japan is comprised of shut-in otaku. Go to Akihabara and you see guys walking around in a total fog. They bump into you and don't offer an apology because they haven't even noticed they've hit you with their bulging knapsack to begin with. Mention it and they will look at you like you have done them a great injustice by pulling them out of their mental zone.

Of course not everyone is like this, but enough are to generalize in this way.

I love genre offerings and I like having friends into it who I can talk it over with, but those who use it make up for deficiencies in their normal life weird me out. Unfortunately, you find this anywhere you go.
Norman England
Baby Godzilla

Postby Norman England » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:58 pm

I do want to mention that I feel the "Tezuka" / "Kaneko" type thing is just a sign of the times. It's like how everything is polarized along party lines these days. You know, Democrat / Republican, Fox TV / New York Times, Windows / Mac, New York style pizza / Chicago style pizza, etc.

So, I guess the "Omori types" are the Tea Party people of kaiju fandom! :lol:
Norman England
Baby Godzilla

Postby ryuuseipro » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:10 am

Norman England wrote:I do want to mention that I feel the "Tezuka" / "Kaneko" type thing is just a sign of the times. It's like how everything is polarized along party lines these days. You know, Democrat / Republican, Fox TV / New York Times, Windows / Mac, New York style pizza / Chicago style pizza, etc.

So, I guess the "Omori types" are the Tea Party people of kaiju fandom! :lol:

I'm a "Honda type," "Oda type," "Fukuda type," and "Banno type." So where does that fit in? :)
-John Cassidy
Richmond, VA
http://ryuuseipro.livejournal.com/

"The monster a child knows best and is most concerned with [is] the monster he feels or fears himself to be." -Bruno Bettelheim
ryuuseipro
Heisei Godzilla

Previous

Return to The Millennium Era: 1999-2005