TALKBACK #27: Godzilla Tokyo SOS

Discuss the millennium era of Godzilla films! From Godzilla 2000 Millennium to Godzilla Final Wars, these films comprised a wide variety of styles and topics!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:33 am

MekaGojira3k wrote:But doesn't Mothra get summoned to Tokyo and ends up encountering Godzilla already before Kiryu is used?
yeah, but isn't the dialogue along the lines of "Mothra will defend you as long as you don't use Kiryu, but if you do she will become your enemy"?
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:37 am

jellydonut25 wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:But doesn't Mothra get summoned to Tokyo and ends up encountering Godzilla already before Kiryu is used?
yeah, but isn't the dialogue along the lines of "Mothra will defend you as long as you don't use Kiryu, but if you do she will become your enemy"?

That was the Shobijin, they were just messing with people. Mothra's really an okay person when you get to know her and throw her into the middle of a battle.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby rockstarbd82 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:08 pm

GODZILLA: TOKYO SOS

This one always tends to either be one I'm in the mood for sometimes and at other times not. It kinda falls somewhere in between and is just more average.

There was a time stretch between Godzilla 2000 and Godzilla X MechaGodzilla where I hadn't revisited the series in a while as other things were complicating my life at the time. So upon discovering Godzilla X MechaGodzilla in the "New Release Section" of Hollywood Video (May God rest its soul (blasphemy Netflix/Redbox)), I rented it for the hell of it. As stated in my previous interview for GXMG, it def wasn't the "best G-film" but it was good enough to garner my interest back and check out the previous 2 GVSMEG/GMK (neither of which impressed me as much). Thats also when I started on the TokyoMonsters forums around 2004. I began to realize now that Japan had gotten better about releasing the newer Godzilla films at least around a year after their respective releases. So I then find out Godzilla: Tokyo SOS was being made as a follow up sequel.

Not only are Godzilla/MechaGodzilla (i refuse to accept Kiryu as a new name) in it, but Mothra is also involved. At first I was like "not Mothra again . . . but . . . Mothra and MechaGodzilla in the same film . . . that could be interesting." When I say that, I was first anticipating that this would be a 3-way monster battle and we'd actually get to see Mothra fight MechaGodzilla for the first time (provided MechaG went crazy and they went that route).

So the film is finally released amongst the internet hype of Godzilla: Final Wars (which I was honestly anticipating on a way higher level). My friends and I watched it together. The honest reaction was "ehh not bad, but was expecting more."

The good things about this film is that the story build up from the beginning had a good start to it. The theme of using Mothra/Fairies to express that Godzilla's bones being tampered with was wrong and the souls of the dead must remain undisturbed was a nice twist (and I'm not contradicting myself with my past criticism to GMK here cuz the themes of "Japan forgetting their crimes" and "correcting Japans mistake of making MechaG out of Godzilla's bones" are not really the same cases here.). The actors did their part well enough for picking up where the other characters left off and portrayed some good conflicts. Seeing the Chujo (or however you spell it) actor was really cool. The Mothra suit looked very well done for going back to the more original look of the showa era. And I really loved the Mothra faires costumes. And here was a case where we get just enough human/monster action ratio.

The bad things however come with the good. It was nice to see Kamoebes make a brief "dead comeback", but my philosophy in the monster film case is, sure it builds mystery but whats the point of putting Kamoebes in if we're not even going to at least see an under water scuffle with him and Godzilla. And I know there may be nothing primal about it, but it would've meant more monster time for the viewer as Godzilla at this point is pretty much established for what he is now after the previous film. If this happened in the first film, I would've accepted this scene as is. Moving on, when we get to the monster action, sure we have great miniature/FX/optical work all thrown in, but it leaves me with the feeling "haven't I been there and seen this already?" There's really nothing special/new added to Godzilla vs MechaG. Just more of Godzilla being the lumbering brute getting his @$$ kicked and pelted with the familiar feel of "MOTHRA vs GODZILLA" thrown in the mix. I will vouge that the mothra/godzilla battle was better, but this still is all stuff I've seen before when I was expecting more creativity.

What I was really anticipating was for them to use the MechaG angle of him going crazy and eventually Godzilla/Mothra have to team up to stop him from his rampage or something (though I understand that would'nt fit the whole story) Even if it was Mothra alone against Godzilla and MechaG, that would've been a more fresh aspect for a "new film." And even thou through the story there is a subconflict of Mothra being against MechaG, they end up teaming against Godzilla. Interesting sure, just not the interesting I was expecting. The film did have a concrete ending that wrapped this story up nicely though which then helps me realize that this might've been the best route for the film. Regardless I still have my moments when I say that I really wanted to see Mothra fight MechaGodzilla.

And one last thing. Where's Mothras EYE LASERS!!!!! (hahaha jk)
"ooooo GODZILLA is "roasting" KING KONG.!!!!"
rockstarbd82
Godzilla Jr.

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:59 am

I feel like the story/script is a little more lacking than X MechaGodzilla, but everything else seems to just appeal to me more. I like that Godzilla is active, and I dig the effects that are here. I think Oshima's themes are at their best as well.

I think Chujo should have remained trapped in Kiryu and have died. I guess because I like downer endings.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:00 pm

I've always loved that this film didn't focus on a pilot or a scientist but a lowly mechanic. As someone who used to fix jets in the Air Force, I found this refreshing and more interesting.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:23 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:I've always loved that this film didn't focus on a pilot or a scientist but a lowly mechanic. As someone who used to fix jets in the Air Force, I found this refreshing and more interesting.

Yeah, I suppose that's something in its favor as far as the story.

It's also pretty much centered around the family.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:12 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:I've always loved that this film didn't focus on a pilot or a scientist but a lowly mechanic. As someone who used to fix jets in the Air Force, I found this refreshing and more interesting.
which would have been fine if more of the first film's cast had returned in secondary roles...the movie really doesn't feel like much of a direct sequel, and considering that it's the most direct sequel of all direct sequels in the Godzilla series (the action picks up right after the end of the previous film), it doesn't make sense that the Kiryu pilot team would be being sent away right as Godzila shows up again, and it make less sense that half the scientist crew is missing.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:40 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:

I feel the setups for the characters and their relationships was very strong - but then they took no advantage of it in the film! Like I said in my initial, quickly written review; it feels like the film gives us the beginning and end of character arcs with none of the fleshy middle parts to give it any weight.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:12 pm

lhb412 wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:

I feel the setups for the characters and their relationships was very strong - but then they took no advantage of it in the film! Like I said in my initial, quickly written review; it feels like the film gives us the beginning and end of character arcs with none of the fleshy middle parts to give it any weight.

TEZUKA'S GONNA TEZUKA
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:43 pm

When you quoted my post I reread it and laughed at the phrase 'fleshy middle parts,' because apparently I'm mentally 12 years old.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby GFan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:29 pm

lhb412 wrote:When you quoted my post I reread it and laughed at the phrase 'fleshy middle parts,' because apparently I'm mentally 12 years old.

:lol: :lol:
GFan
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:36 am

You know, if they had brought back the original cast in their original capacity, I wouldn't have minded the dramatic shift in character focus. We already know all about the characters from the first film, so the film's rush into its action (Godzilla appears in the first 30 minutes and makes landfall shortly after and the movie has another hour to go) wouldn't bother me as much.

I'm also not fond of the whole, "Mothra will help you, but only if you don't use Mechagodzilla." [Mechagodzilla appears] "Eh...f*ck it, Mothra will still help you" thing. Why make a point of it if NOTHING comes of it? I mean, I know some people complained about the DNA computers and lack of re-emergence of the "Mechagodzilla running wild" thing in the first film, a complaint that I don't really share, considering it's often brought up that Kiryu may run wild again and everyone always seems pretty nervous about it....but in this case, a plot point is legitimately brought up that serves NO PURPOSE AT ALL.

I like this movie a little more with every viewing and I'm quite sure that as a kid, I'd have loved it with all the monster action beginning so early, but it's got some problems and doesn't work quite as much as its predecessor.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Re: TALKBACK #27: Godzilla Tokyo SOS

Postby Russzilla » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:22 pm

Although I was glad to see this version of Mechagodzilla on screen again (as in GxMG before that) over time, these two G movies are not high on my like list. I won't go into details as most of which has been said on here already. I will say this though. I wish they would've continued something storywise from those post credits scenes from both movies where Godzilla and other kaijus DNA was sealed up in a lab somewhere.
Russzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Psycho Soldier » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

This movie does almost nothing for me. It feels like a pastiche of GxMG and MvG, without the creative spark of either one. It's cool to see the return of the Chujo character from the original Mothra, and the effects are good, but it otherwise feels like it was made for the sake of making a Godzilla movie. GxMG was at least fun, for the most part. And while GxM is still a worse movie, it had a couple of interesting ideas. Tokyo SOS just bores me.
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:19 pm

^like I say above, it's because the original cast is not present. If they were, I wouldn't mind that the movie basically lacks characterization
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:25 pm

I found Kiryu to be a pretty impressive creation, and I liked the story that went along with him and both of his pilots. Seriously, it has personality. When he is not rampaging, he feels like the hero, in the same vein as anime Super Robots of the 70s and 80s. There is just a lot going on with the design and the portrayal. A whole lot more than MG93. In fact, I find the designs that were rejected in favor of the design chosen for the final MG93 were a whole lot more impressive.

I found a lot of a personal story in the Kiryu movies than the one told in MG93. I feel no attachment to MG's crew or MG itself. Maybe if he was more Super Robotish like in those unused designs...

My mom enjoyed them quite a lot, when she was channel flipping and managed to catch them. She really couldn't do anything like that with MG93, since all she wanted was the baby to go with which ever parent. =/

Ultraman. Is a Dick. A Big Dick.
Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!!
Burning Godzilla

Postby Psycho Soldier » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:30 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:^like I say above, it's because the original cast is not present. If they were, I wouldn't mind that the movie basically lacks characterization

I guess that's part of it, but I'm not sure if their presence would have improved it very much. The overall feeling I get while watching TSOS is that I've seen all the monster and human action before, in better movies. You and I might be able to say that of other Godzilla films, but I think it holds particularly true for this one.
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:48 pm

Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! wrote:Seriously, it has personality. When he is not rampaging, he feels like the hero, in the same vein as anime Super Robots of the 70s and 80s. There is just a lot going on with the design and the portrayal.

See, for me, while the story concept offers a lot of potential for Kiryu to have personality, I never feel that it comes across on screen at all. Remove the human characters commenting on what Kiryu is doing, and just his scenes on their own don't convey any feeling to me.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Hybrid Gojira » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:15 pm

I liked SOS. Mothra looked fantastic. The story tried to combine some interesting ideas. It's not perfect, but certainly an enjoyable movie. Kiryu is a cool MG variation but Showa is still my favorite. I would have liked to see a third film given the ending.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast
Hybrid Gojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:26 pm

eabaker wrote:
Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! wrote:Seriously, it has personality. When he is not rampaging, he feels like the hero, in the same vein as anime Super Robots of the 70s and 80s. There is just a lot going on with the design and the portrayal.

See, for me, while the story concept offers a lot of potential for Kiryu to have personality, I never feel that it comes across on screen at all. Remove the human characters commenting on what Kiryu is doing, and just his scenes on their own don't convey any feeling to me.

Heh, the same comments are the way I see Heisei MG. I also found a bunch more energy in the Kiryu suit acting than that of Heisei MG, who just stood there and fired stuff.

Ultraman. Is a Dick. A Big Dick.
Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!!
Burning Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:43 pm

Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! wrote:
eabaker wrote:

Heh, the same comments are the way I see Heisei MG. I also found a bunch more energy in the Kiryu suit acting than that of Heisei MG, who just stood there and fired stuff.

Heisei MG certainly isn't performed with much energy or personality, but, then, nobody claims (in the movie or in the fandom) that it has either. That said, I do feel that, at times, choices in the photography are more suggestive of character for the Heisei flick than in either of the Kiryu flicks. I'm not a big defender of GvsMGII, but it elicits at least some emotion from me, which the Kiryu movies never do.

However, I really consider the Showa flicks to be the only ones that really made the acharacter genuinely engaging.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Russzilla » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:04 pm

Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! wrote:
eabaker wrote:

I guess that's what happens when you have actual pilots in the robot itself. Friggin humans. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Russzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:28 pm

That's the only good thing about the Heisei MechaG, that they bothered to have pilots in the Mecha. I mean, EVENTUALLY, people get in Kiryu in these two movies, but it takes a while and it hurts the overall connection to Kiryu.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby armandv » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:27 pm

Ten years since its release is coming up on December 13:

http://armandsrancho.blogspot.com/2013/11/ten-years-of-godzilla-x-mothra-x.html
armandv
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Hybrid Gojira » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:38 pm

Eh, it's hard to believe this movie is ten years old. I think the first time I watched it I was underwhelmed by it. Now, I actually like it quite a bit.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast
Hybrid Gojira
Burning Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to The Millennium Era: 1999-2005