TALKBACK #26: Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla

Discuss the millennium era of Godzilla films! From Godzilla 2000 Millennium to Godzilla Final Wars, these films comprised a wide variety of styles and topics!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby Goji 84 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:51 am

Here are those photos, for anyone that's curious

Goji 84
Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:43 pm

Mechapocalypse! :D
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby rockstarbd82 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:46 pm

GODZILLA X MECHAGODZILLA

Definitely "a" favorite of mine. Not the best but not the worst.

This would be the 3rd time MechaGodzilla would be redesigned with a new look. When I first saw pics of this teased on imdb before the film was released, I was pretty excited for the film. So one day I find it for rental at a local "Hollywood Video" (God rest its soul), and brought it home.

My first impression was kinda "mehhh" but the film has grown on me a bit, and here's why.

First of all, KIRYU??? I'll admit I don't know what it means (please explain it to me). Why change MechaGodzilla's name when its already "bad@$$" enough and we've known him as mechagodzilla for over 30 years at this point?? I really didn't see any purpose in the name "KIRYU" and its pretty annoying as I watch the film.

The plot/story definitely seems interesting at first, but also a little "out there" at the same time. And I'm talking about the whole "lets put Godzilla's bones in the robot." The idea was interesting, but not executed in the right way imo. It would've been more interesting (imo) if kiryu remained as "gojira" in the robot for the rest of the film, and Godzilla turned face, and fought Mechagodzilla again to claim his own territory. But again, the power limit rule would'nt have worked with that so oh well.

Godzilla, I have no problem being a villain, but this villain of a Godzilla was played off as kinda clumsy, wimpish in the fight scenes, and didn't really come off as imposing as I expected him to be. Plus the design was kinda a smoother version of 2000's design with a more streamlined face.

The actor in Mechagodzilla had some great movements in the fight scenes. The suit itself is very impressive (thou I still love the oldschool MG haha).

The power limit aspect i wasnt really a fan of but I'll accept it as a fresh take on the new version for a good story element. Plus you all know how I feel about "eye lasers" so that kinda disappointed me too. Other than that, his weapon effects were impressive enough. Absolute zero was an interesting weapon at best.

The characters weren't bad, but didn't really stand out from other G-films. The doctor is probably the only interesting character as he has a hilarious "creepy" vibe about making a move with miss akane. Oh and in the japanese dub, when godzilla retreats, i think we can all agree that sounds like something alot worse in our language HAHAHA.

The effects/matte work I thought was done very well with some impressive set/practical effects too.

Overall, its a pretty good G-film that could've been a "bit" better, but is still satisfying enough some how for me.
"ooooo GODZILLA is "roasting" KING KONG.!!!!"
rockstarbd82
Godzilla Jr.

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:50 pm

...at what point is the Doctor creepy? He's just awkward about Akane.

As for the name of Kiryu, it's metal dragon, isn't it? Even so, it's not much of a problem for me. That comes in the rest of the film :)

Cuz, y'know Tezuka. MechaGodzilla, from memory, is really the best part of this film. If Godzilla had been less comatose the whole movie might be my favorite Tezuka film.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby rockstarbd82 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:56 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:...at what point is the Doctor creepy? He's just awkward about Akane.

The scene when Akane is getting tea/coffee (can't remember which) and then we cut to a shot of the doctor, poking his head out, with that "wide smile". That alway makes me laugh cuz of how creepy he looks there. haha
"ooooo GODZILLA is "roasting" KING KONG.!!!!"
rockstarbd82
Godzilla Jr.

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:00 pm

rockstarbd82 wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:...at what point is the Doctor creepy? He's just awkward about Akane.

The scene when Akane is getting tea/coffee (can't remember which) and then we cut to a shot of the doctor, poking his head out, with that "wide smile". That alway makes me laugh cuz of how creepy he looks there. haha

I guess I never saw it as creepy because of how goofy/harmless he is elsewhere in the film.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Goji 84 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:28 pm

He's a middle aged man with a crush on a 20-something year old women. It's perfectly harmless.
Goji 84
Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:52 pm

Goji 84 wrote:He's a middle aged man with a crush on a 20-something year old women. It's perfectly harmless.
That's called being a role model to middle-aged men everywhere.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:43 pm

Goji 84 wrote:He's a middle aged man with a crush on a 20-something year old women. It's perfectly harmless.

20-something year old woman who could kick his ass. Did everyone else really get creeped out by this guy?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Goji 84 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:46 pm

I always thought he was kind of funny, personally. Not hilarious, (he's no GIGAN corn-on-the-cob eating hippie), but goofy enough. Definitely much more tolerable than the Cubs fan from MEGAGUIRUS. Now that guy is just obnoxious.
Last edited by Goji 84 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goji 84
Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:51 pm

Goji 84 wrote:Definitely much more tolerable than the Cubs fan from MEGAGUIRUS. Now that guy is just obnoxious.

That movie is obnoxious.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Cookie » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:17 pm

rockstarbd82 wrote:

LOL... my 2 year old son laughed when this happened......
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:50 pm

Not to mention the part where he asks her if she wants to have kids. That was hilarious.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:23 pm

I just re-watched this. There's a lot of great stuff, and this is a MUCH better take on MechaGodzilla than the Heisei series offered. I was wondering if maybe this was better than S.O.S., but I can't bring myself to say so. Mostly because the biggest flaw in the movie, other than the typical Tezuka angst shenanigans that aren't properly developed, is Godzilla. He doesn't react. He does well enough in the final battle, but other than that? I get what Tezuka was trying to convey. NOTHING works on this guy, hence the reason we have to build a robot. At the same time, they could have conveyed that in a much better way. It's such a shame, too, because there's a lot of potential here that's wasted.

I also don't understand why there are so few monsters that have appeared in this timeline. Why would the AMF even stay active? I think the timeline I have in my book lists like 1954- Godzilla shows up, 1961 Mothra, 1966 Gaira, and it's either 1970 or 1980 they have as when Kamoeba shows up. That's a crazy span of nothing to fund an entire force for that long.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:49 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:I also don't understand why there are so few monsters that have appeared in this timeline. Why would the AMF even stay active? I think the timeline I have in my book lists like 1954- Godzilla shows up, 1961 Mothra, 1966 Gaira, and it's either 1970 or 1980 they have as when Kamoeba shows up. That's a crazy span of nothing to fund an entire force for that long.

I think it would have been cooler to throw in a few more monsters, or to say that those few monsters had repeatedly attacked, instead of just one-and-done appearances.

And their funding came from them selling Mechagodzilla off for scrap metal. Space Titanium goes for a lot these days.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:50 am

MekaGojira3k wrote:Godzilla. He doesn't react. He does well enough in the final battle, but other than that? I get what Tezuka was trying to convey. NOTHING works on this guy, hence the reason we have to build a robot. At the same time, they could have conveyed that in a much better way. It's such a shame, too, because there's a lot of potential here that's wasted..
Always been my biggest complaint with the film.

I know it's pretty popular to pick on the "Godzilla bones" thing, but I always took it as, in order to fight Godzilla, the best weapon would be Godzilla since nothing else can slow him down. In order to create Godzilla, they need to use Godzilla, as shown earlier in the film when they create the trilobyte robot.

Even the dropping of the "Godzilla bones bring back Godzilla consciousness" bit doesn't bother me, because (a) they say they fixed it and (b) everyone is still worried about it.
It'd be one thing if they were like "fixed!" 'very well.' but the guy is like "I Fixed it!" and everyone's like "I still don't want to use Kiryu...because of what happened before".

If not for the inanimate Godzilla, I'd love this movie with absolutely no reservations.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:58 am

I think I'd still have some reservations, but it'd probably outshine S.O.S. which currently outdoes this film on the basis of sheer spectacle and the best looking Mothra since 1961.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:57 am

So, I pretty much unabashedly enjoy this movie.

It's got some problems, to be sure, but at only 88 minutes, those problems come and go fairly quickly.

This is the first film in a while that doesn't feel a bit bloated or overlong and it's one of the very few later-era films that doesn't pontificate or get overly preachy (a fault which Tokyo SOS commits at every turn...and G2K is probably the only other one that doesn't do this).

It's kind of amazing to me though that the only major issue I have with this film (the inanimate Godzilla) really brings it down several notches. It just kinda baffles me that sometimes they seem to really get it right (in the opening scene, he reacts to the maser, in the final battle he reacts on occasion) and sometimes they get it SO WRONG...

I don't have any issues with the "angsty" protagonist, because this isn't a case of being angry with Godzilla and vowing revenge, it's a chance for redemption and a search for acceptance. Also, those GORGEOUS BOWL-SHAPED EYES!!!! :lol:

The little girl is kind of a crappy plot device and a little overly mopey, because she could have accomplished a lot of what she does without being as whiny as she is, but that's a minor gripe.

Not a perfect film by any means, but it's fun, I still find the final battle to be really well done and I think both Godzilla and Mechagodzilla look awesome.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:17 pm

The little girl and inanimatezilla keep this from trumping Tokyo S.O.S.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Giganfan » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:04 am

One really cool effect that is employed during Godzilla's second battle with Kiryu is how the ground seems to buckle and erupt from the stomping and the sheer size of the monsters. I always thought that was kinda neat. The entire final fight, I feel, was well-staged and realized. Plenty of tension and urgency, and both monsters got their licks in.

Ya know, I don't really have a problem with Godzilla playing "second fiddle" in this movie. The way I see it, Godzilla is ALWAYS the star of the movie, no matter how diminished his role may be. I remember watching Godzilla X Mechagodzilla with a friend who, while not a Godzilla "die-hard" like myself, is still the "comic book, fanboy" type. Once that brilliant prologue was over, he said to me "okay, where do you go from here? It's GODZILLA!! He's awesome. We got that, now how do you tell an original story about that?!" Godzilla is such an omnipresent, bigger-than-life mythology, he basically steals the show without trying. That's one thing I feel that the Heisei series got right. It played off that angle really well, even if the movies themselves suffered in quality as a result. In Tezuka's film, they atleast get the essence of the character. He still poses a significantly grim threat to civilization, and he is portrayed as a very real natural disaster. I credit Tezuka and company with, at the very least taking a subtler approach to the "King of the Monsters", in a movie that benefits from showcasing a damn-awesome Mechagodzilla reincarnation.

If it weren't for the fact that I am hopelessly biased towards practically all of the Showa Godzilla flicks, I would have no problem saying that Godzilla X Mechagodzilla is one of my ten favorites. I think that when you look at Tezuka's "trilogy" of Godzilla movies, as a whole it is mostly uneven. I enjoyed certain aspects of both Godzilla X Megaguirus and Tokyo SOS, however both movies suffer as a result of their director's lack of experience at the helm. The guy is an amateur, no question. Still, his films do not feel like "Godzilla by commitee", like most of the Heisei films do. They feel like "Godzilla by Masaaki Tezuka". Whether or not that's a good thing is, of course, endlessly debatable. All I know is that the man in on-record referring to King Kong vs. Godzilla as his favorite Godzilla movie, and based on "GxMG", I kind of understand why.
"EVERYONE FORGET YOUR TROUBLES! ENJOY YOURSELVES!THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!" - Gigantis The Fire Monster

"It was HUGE...It was...IT WAS LIKE A MONSTER!!! Suddenly the rocks rose...ALIVE!" - Godzilla 1985
Giganfan

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:22 am

It's not so much him being second fiddle, as it is he feels like he's barely a participant in the film when on screen. I think the ending may be the only time this isn't as big a deal.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:40 pm

I think my biggest problem with this movie is that aside from Godzilla's first appearance, NONE of the monster stuff really does it for me. I have other issues (I still think the concept of the G-bones could have been used better, but I guess that complaint should go more to Tokyo SOS than this), but none of the monster action is all that compelling to me.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:45 pm

I think the monster stuff works well enough, but I'm just not all that invested in the human element to like the film that well.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:58 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:I think the monster stuff works well enough, but I'm just not all that invested in the human element to like the film that well.

Its kinda both for me. I like the characters themselves but they never really become interesting enough for me to care.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:59 pm

meanwhile i find the human element to be far better here than in any of Tezuka's other films and the monster action possibly the worst (though it's more that it's the worst in concept...in execution that "crown" goes to Megaguirus)
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

PreviousNext

Return to The Millennium Era: 1999-2005