TALKBACK #24: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Discuss the millennium era of Godzilla films! From Godzilla 2000 Millennium to Godzilla Final Wars, these films comprised a wide variety of styles and topics!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby king_ghidorah » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:48 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:The difference between Jean Reno in GINO and Don Frye in Final Wars is that Don Frye amps up the awesomeness of Final Wars whereas Jean Reno appearing in GINO just makes you shake your head and shed a tear for his career...

He amps up the laughability of Final Wars
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:59 pm

Gosh, I kind of want to rewatch this movie again. It's not GOOD but it has some moments that I do really enjoy. >>

Actually, with a few changes I think it would be AWESOME. If the characters were a more likable (even though it's fun to watch them be dicks to each other in the right frame of mind), the pacing picked up and the script were a little less bland, and if the execution of Megaguirus herself was better... Otherwise I think a lot of it is really fun! The Dimension Tide plan is RETARDED in the BEST POSSIBLE WAY, the opening of the film is really solid, G-GRASPER has the potential to be a fun, Ultraman-styled organization, and I love a lot of the miniature work. It has all the makings of a feature-length, high-budget episode of Ultraman Ace.

Not gonna deny that the overall execution leaves a LOT to be desired though. :(
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:08 am

This movie sucks.

That is all.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Enjoying An Egg » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:14 am

I'm into bugs so I have a soft spot for this movie. The scene where the meganulon attack G and he just lights 'em up and drops half the swarm is great.

Pretty much everything else is bad. :?
Enjoying An Egg
Baby Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:14 am

MouthForWar wrote:This movie sucks.

That is all.

It really is all. Tezuka produces some of the most boring-ass movies. I kind of love S.O.S., but that's because it's got Mothra vs. Godzilla cobbled into it and a FANTASTIC Mothra puppet/some fun monster action. This, however, is just...ugh. I can't enjoy this movie no matter how hard I try. I like the opening, I even like the concept of Megaguirus, but that's it. The characters either annoy or leave no impression whatsoever (looks at the Kiryu films), and it's just bleah.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Legion » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:27 am

It's in my bottom three along with G2K and Final Wars. It's one of those films that I don't care if I never watch it again.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:28 am

This is one of those films that I would be happy to avoid at all costs. You all know my feelings about this film already.
I got no problem with anybody who jumps into a Starfury and rides fire! (Babylon 5)
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:55 am

Legion wrote:It's in my bottom three along with G2K and Final Wars. It's one of those films that I don't care if I never watch it again.

Aw, poor G2k. I kind of dig it. At least more than this movie, GxMechaG and Final Wars.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Mac » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:05 am

This is probably Tezuka's most fun film. Its just overtly imaginative, and Megaguirus has great personality. I really like it. Jared and I are right.
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:14 am

Mac wrote:Jared and I are right.

PFFTTTT
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:23 am

Well of Tezuka's films my favorite is actually GxMG because Yuichi Kikuchi's effects give it a wicked visual style.
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Mac » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:27 am

kiryugoji04 wrote:Well of Tezuka's films my favorite is actually GxMG because Yuichi Kikuchi's effects give it a wicked visual style.

True. True. But I think Misato Tanaka does a better job with the "I want revenge on Godzilla" plot-line than Yumiko Shaku does.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:27 am

Mac wrote:This is probably Tezuka's most fun film. Its just overtly imaginative, and Megaguirus has great personality. I really like it. Jared and I are right.

I don't see any imagination going into this movie... not only that, but I don't think Megaguirus has any personality. And for someone who bashes the Heisei films so often, you pick the most Heisei looking/feeling one of all the Millenium films as your favorite Tezuka? I mean, at least Tokyo SOS LOOKS like a real movie. This looks like a fan film.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Mac » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:36 am

Hmm, I'll agree that this film doesn't look too good, but I wonder why that is? I mean Godzilla 2000 looks like an honest modern film. Was it the cinematographer? The guy who did G2K also did Biollante, which looks good too, why didn't they just keep him?
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:51 am

I like the miniatures in this film a lot. Sure, they're obviously miniatures but they're much more detailed and pleasant to look at compared to the bland, lifeless miniatures of Kawakita's years.
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:52 am

kiryugoji04 wrote:I like the miniatures in this film a lot. Sure, they're obviously miniatures but they're much more detailed and pleasant to look at compared to the bland, lifeless miniatures of Kawakita's years.

I dunno, the miniatures in GvsKG look a million times better than what we have here.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:55 am

This film is horrible.

Oddly enough, it has a couple of REALLY cool moments (Megaguirus grinning, riding Godzilla), but if I could put together a clip show of all the moments in this film that I feel were worth watching it would be about 45 seconds long and I would NEVER watch the full film ever again. Ever.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby kiryugoji04 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:58 am

MouthForWar wrote:
kiryugoji04 wrote:I like the miniatures in this film a lot. Sure, they're obviously miniatures but they're much more detailed and pleasant to look at compared to the bland, lifeless miniatures of Kawakita's years.

I dunno, the miniatures in GvsKG look a million times better than what we have here.

While I did gain a new appreciation of GvsKG the last time I rewatched it, I'd say the miniatures here are still better. At worst I'd say their on par with GvsKG's miniatures (that's not an insult, actually) but overall I prefer these.
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Mac » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:01 am

I love the little trashcan that flies when Godzilla appears in the beginning. It rivals the toolbox in KKE.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:56 am

I just popped the DVD in to check out a few scenes. The opening battle against Godzilla is still brilliant in my book. Love the miniature work in this scene a lot. A lot a lot. I do wish they'd done the whole prologue as a newsreel/newscast montage. That could have been a really cool and creative way to get the same EXPOSITIONDUMP! across compared to the pretty bland narrator going AND THEN THIS HAPPENED blah blah blah WHICH LED TO THIS something something, etc. His voice was pretty cool though. Least they got a cool voice to narrate. Still leaves something to be desired. The Tokai attack is still wicked though!

But, uh, Megaguirus. Her execution is DIRE. There's a lot to like about her big reveal - the submerged city street where her pupae form is resting is really well done, the submerged Shibuya set in general is really cool and, you know, it's hard to go wrong with miniatures at night and all - but DAT HOVERING. Eesh.

There are still a lot of things I like about this film. There are. I will never say it's GOOD though. :lol:
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Reaper G » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:08 am

Mac wrote:
kiryugoji04 wrote:Well of Tezuka's films my favorite is actually GxMG because Yuichi Kikuchi's effects give it a wicked visual style.

True. True. But I think Misato Tanaka does a better job with the "I want revenge on Godzilla" plot-line than Yumiko Shaku does.

Tanaka's character wanted revenge, Shaku wanted redemption.
Pest, MSTie, Foodie, G-fan, Wrestlemaniac, and geek-at-large
http://reaper_g.livejournal.com
Reaper G
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:36 pm

Reaper G wrote:
Mac wrote:

Tanaka's character wanted revenge, Shaku wanted redemption.

This. Why does NO ONE get this?
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:01 pm

Even so, the plots just ring too similar for me. They may want different things, but why they want them is caused by the same kind of event.

SOS is different, but most of that is because they're homaging Mothra stuff during the film and don't really have room for it.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Inferior Rodan » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:56 pm

I have a soft spot for this G vs M, the story is pretty terrible but i agree the minature work is really good and the overall movie is a pure popcorn fest to me. Just simple minded fun and i can`t hate it for that.
Inferior Rodan
Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:37 pm

Inferior Rodan wrote:I have a soft spot for this G vs M, the story is pretty terrible but i agree the minature work is really good and the overall movie is a pure popcorn fest to me. Just simple minded fun and i can`t hate it for that.

Simple minded is right, but I don't quite see the fun part.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to The Millennium Era: 1999-2005