TALKBACK #24: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Discuss the millennium era of Godzilla films! From Godzilla 2000 Millennium to Godzilla Final Wars, these films comprised a wide variety of styles and topics!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:44 am

Pkmatrix wrote:The FX never reach the heights of G2K's opening sequence, but are generally more consistent and never get as bad as G2K's worst.
I disagree...there are some HORRENDOUS effects shots in this movie, most of them involving Megaguirus. And that "Megaguirus vision" is just about the worst thing in any Godzilla movie ever.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18873
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:12 am

jellydonut25 wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:The FX never reach the heights of G2K's opening sequence, but are generally more consistent and never get as bad as G2K's worst.
I disagree...there are some HORRENDOUS effects shots in this movie, most of them involving Megaguirus. And that "Megaguirus vision" is just about the worst thing in any Godzilla movie ever.


While I'm not as harsh on Megaguirus vision being the worst thing in any Godzilla movie ever, I agree with everything else.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby Pkmatrix » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:26 am

jellydonut25 wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:The FX never reach the heights of G2K's opening sequence, but are generally more consistent and never get as bad as G2K's worst.
I disagree...there are some HORRENDOUS effects shots in this movie, most of them involving Megaguirus. And that "Megaguirus vision" is just about the worst thing in any Godzilla movie ever.


Oh, Megaguirus (and that damned VTOL thing) are the nexus of bad FX in this movie. But, worse than G2K's worst? I dunno. The CGI in G2K was REALLY bad, and the compositing is worse than in a frickin' Asylum movie. Nothing stood out as that bad in this one, except for the two or three shots where the puppet's strings were obvious (which, granted, is unforgivable).
Pkmatrix
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1080
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:17 pm
Location: New Jersey, USA

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:30 am

Pkmatrix wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:The FX never reach the heights of G2K's opening sequence, but are generally more consistent and never get as bad as G2K's worst.
I disagree...there are some HORRENDOUS effects shots in this movie, most of them involving Megaguirus. And that "Megaguirus vision" is just about the worst thing in any Godzilla movie ever.


Oh, Megaguirus (and that damned VTOL thing) are the nexus of bad FX in this movie. But, worse than G2K's worst? I dunno. The CGI in G2K was REALLY bad, and the compositing is worse than in a frickin' Asylum movie. Nothing stood out as that bad in this one, except for the two or three shots where the puppet's strings were obvious (which, granted, is unforgivable).


I dunno, it never bothers me the way Megaguirus does. Probably because I think the movie G2k's effects are wrapped up in is SEVERAL notches better than Megaguirus.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby Pkmatrix » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:34 am

MekaGojira3k wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:The FX never reach the heights of G2K's opening sequence, but are generally more consistent and never get as bad as G2K's worst.
I disagree...there are some HORRENDOUS effects shots in this movie, most of them involving Megaguirus. And that "Megaguirus vision" is just about the worst thing in any Godzilla movie ever.


Oh, Megaguirus (and that damned VTOL thing) are the nexus of bad FX in this movie. But, worse than G2K's worst? I dunno. The CGI in G2K was REALLY bad, and the compositing is worse than in a frickin' Asylum movie. Nothing stood out as that bad in this one, except for the two or three shots where the puppet's strings were obvious (which, granted, is unforgivable).


I dunno, it never bothers me the way Megaguirus does. Probably because I think the movie G2k's effects are wrapped up in is SEVERAL notches better than Megaguirus.


That does help a bit, but for me the FX in Megaguirus just seem...I dunno...about par with the rest of the film's quality. I'm not surprised by the FX failings in GxM because it doesn't feel out of place. As a result, I'm more forgiving of the FX blunders here than in G2K, which is a far better movie and demonstrates itself capable of better FX work so its flubs are much harder for me to swallow.
Pkmatrix
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1080
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:17 pm
Location: New Jersey, USA

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:37 am

I think the shots of the Meganula climbing the building and then hatching from the cocoon are pretty atrocious as well.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18873
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Re: TALKBACK #24: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Postby Gohi » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:31 am

Man, Godzilla's spiky dorsal fins look dumb as hell in this movie.
Gohi
Baby Godzilla
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:17 am
Location: MN

Re: TALKBACK #24: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Postby briizilla » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:06 pm

Worst. Godzilla movie. Ever.
~Brian~
_______________________________________

1313
briizilla
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2224
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:41 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re:

Postby briizilla » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:09 pm

Pkmatrix wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:The FX never reach the heights of G2K's opening sequence, but are generally more consistent and never get as bad as G2K's worst.
I disagree...there are some HORRENDOUS effects shots in this movie, most of them involving Megaguirus. And that "Megaguirus vision" is just about the worst thing in any Godzilla movie ever.


Oh, Megaguirus (and that damned VTOL thing) are the nexus of bad FX in this movie. But, worse than G2K's worst? I dunno. The CGI in G2K was REALLY bad, and the compositing is worse than in a frickin' Asylum movie. Nothing stood out as that bad in this one, except for the two or three shots where the puppet's strings were obvious (which, granted, is unforgivable).



Look at the way Legions wings flap. Now look at the effect for Megaguirus. The FX in this movie are laughable.
~Brian~
_______________________________________

1313
briizilla
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2224
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:41 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: TALKBACK #24: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:30 pm

briizilla wrote:Worst. Godzilla movie. Ever.

*highfives*
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Re: TALKBACK #24: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Postby DannyBeane » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:23 pm

I would seriously rather have each frame of G vs Megalon tattooed to my retina than be forced to watch this film two times in a row. I mean I can still watch this movie, just once every 5 years.
User avatar
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 3010
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:13 pm
Location: Columbus Ohio

Re: TALKBACK #24: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:27 pm

I still watch it at least once a year, but that's because I usually marathon the entirety of the series at least once a year.

It's definitely not one I pick out just to watch something.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Re: TALKBACK #24: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Postby Hybrid Gojira » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:35 am

When I first watched this movie....I was utterly disappointed by it. The whole "Megaguirus POV" thing is just stupid and doesn't work. I actually liked the swarm scene, but overall this movie fails on about every facet.
Image
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast
User avatar
Hybrid Gojira
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 4372
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:04 pm
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Re: TALKBACK #24: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Postby klen7 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:12 pm

while snapping a shot of the behind the scenes for a different thread, i couldnt help but feel the need to post this as well... Megaguirus fighting a Pterodactyl

Image
(clickify to biggify)
User avatar
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7261
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:34 pm
Location: beyond your peripheral vision

Re: TALKBACK #24: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Postby Dr Kain » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:55 pm

After having a nice break, Toho brought Godzilla back with a strong intro into what became known as the Millennium series. Unfortunately, its second entry it less than stellar. The biggest problem with this movie is just that it is flat out boring to watch. Everything about the movie is boring from its plot to its characters and even to its nemesis for Godzilla to fight. There was so much potential here, and yet, the execution was poor.

First off, the plot is just so bland, but I have a feeling it is more because of the way this movie’s story is told rather than the plot itself. The movie starts off with a recap of Godzilla attacking Japan in 1954, then jumps in time to another attack, then explains the concept of Plasma Energy and shows Godzilla attacking in 1996. Then it jumps to 2001 and we are introduced to the G Graspers without any back story on them outside of the stupid “Search, Study, Shelter” and they are there to hunt Godzilla. The movie excels in giving us a lot of exposition, but not in the sense that we need it. There is simply too much information missing from this universe to fully grasp what is going on with it. It just seems overly complicated. In fact, the whole Plasma Energy plotline really goes nowhere as even though it is supposed to be disposed of, it isn’t, but nothing comes out of that notion outside of the boss man getting punched in the face. Then there is the whole subplot with the child that was there none other than to serve the purpose of finding the Meganulon egg. He was such a useless character that they had to give us an “ending” to his story after the credits of the movie.

Secondly, either the actors were bored out of their minds when the movie was being filmed or they are just one dimensional characters. Either way, I am unable to determine which character I like least, as they are all pretty unlikable. Tsujimori is so emotionless that any time she smiles it feels forced. I wonder if Misato Tanaka is Japan’s equivalent to Keanu Reeves because I was just waiting for her to do the infamous Keanu “whoa!” line when she was climbing onto Godzilla’s back. Kudoh is no better and I’m not even sure what he was doing there. I get that his former teacher is working for the G Graspers, and that he is great at electronics, but that is no reason for him to suddenly become an instant member of the group. Again, I feel there is some back story missing to his character just as much as the movie’s universe is missing story. The rest of the characters are pretty much just background noise, so I won’t even bother talking about them.

Now we come to the monsters and how boring they are. Godzilla’s design is quite solid, but that is also because it is the same design seen in the previous movie, just a little bit greener with more pinkish dorsal fins. There are no complaints to be had there. I also did think the scene in the water when Tsujimori hung onto Godzilla’s fins was pretty awesome too and it was just incredible to see the scale difference from an alternate point of view. On the other hand, I’m not exactly sure what is going on with Megaguirus here. He sounds great in concept, but again, the execution was poorly done. There was a lot of potential that could have been done with the meganulons, but instead, they just became horse flies for Godzilla to swat at with his tail and toast. Megaguirus himself is laughable. The costume looks terrifying when it isn’t moving, but that is about it. In fact, the movements look fake as he glides more than his wings flap and there is not much you can do with a monster that has no legs. This is something you can say about Mothra too, but the fight in the 1964 movie felt natural, here it just looks like a toy being used in whatever way possible. This is probably the movie’s biggest short comings as the big battle is just as stale as the movie. The flooded city is also a joke as I doubt the city could be THAT flooded and not have a single building collapse. How did it even get that flooded to begin with? There could not have been that much water in the sewers. And why are people just evacuating now? You would think people would start evacuating the moment the water got more than a few inches deep because someone had to have known something was going on.

Overall, this movie sucks! The only thing that is not boring is its music, as Ohshima’s new Godzilla theme is well done and the music fits with the movie. It is a shame that the second entry into the Millennium series ends up being the worst of the era and gets a disappointing 3/10.
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11499
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: TALKBACK #24: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:52 pm

I loathe the way this movie ends, btw. Absolutely HATE it. A ton.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18873
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Re: TALKBACK #24: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:28 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:I loathe the way this movie ends, btw. Absolutely HATE it. A ton.


Yeah, it just ends so abruptly and stupid. Not to mention that music drives me crazy in that scene. It's like they did not know how to actually end the movie, so they just stopped filming and said "We'll end it here."
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11499
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: TALKBACK #24: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:25 am

Dr Kain wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:I loathe the way this movie ends, btw. Absolutely HATE it. A ton.


Yeah, it just ends so abruptly and stupid. Not to mention that music drives me crazy in that scene. It's like they did not know how to actually end the movie, so they just stopped filming and said "We'll end it here."


Maybe even they couldn't take it anymore.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Re: TALKBACK #24: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Postby XvGojira » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:21 am

So then I must be the only guy who actually likes this movie then?
User avatar
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 4006
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:29 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: TALKBACK #24: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Postby klen7 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:01 am

I like it alright, I definitely find it more more watchable than a number of Heisei films, but its probably my least favorite of the Millennium series due to some rough effects work and bizarre story choices (honestly, if they hadn't gone the flood route and instead just gone with a meganuron infestation, i would like it A LOT more)
User avatar
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7261
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:34 pm
Location: beyond your peripheral vision

Re: TALKBACK #24: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Postby Reaper G » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:29 pm

I like it too. There are some good, original ideas in this, even if they weren't always well-executed. It did make me interested in what Tezuka would give us in future films. Unfortunately, that led to the retread-ness of "Tokyo S.O.S."
Pest, MSTie, Foodie, G-fan, Wrestlemaniac, and geek-at-large
http://reaper_g.livejournal.com
Reaper G
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1098
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:35 am
Location: Las Vegas

Re: TALKBACK #24: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Postby eabaker » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:27 pm

XvGojira wrote:So then I must be the only guy who actually likes this movie then?


I like it. I mean, there are only three Godzilla movies that I don't like AT ALL, and two of them are by the same director as this one, so you can probably assume that it doesn't rank very high on my list... but there are a few moments that work well enough that I basically enjoy the movie.

Watched it with the wife over the weekend, and we both came away with basically the same feeling: it generally works when Godzilla is directly involved with the story, and it's pretty lifeless the rest of the time.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
User avatar
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:43 pm
Location: Glendale, CA

Re: TALKBACK #24: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Postby Gman2887 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:59 pm

eabaker wrote:I like it. I mean, there are only three Godzilla movies that I don't like AT ALL, and two of them are by the same director as this one


E,this may be best reserved for the Kiryu movie threads, but what are your issues with those films? I've always enjoyed them, but generally understand and don't disagree with the complaints toward them. Giganfan, has probably made the best argument against them and I can kind of see yours mirroring his.
Image
User avatar
Gman2887
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2154
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:11 am
Location: Behind You

Re: TALKBACK #24: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Postby eabaker » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:27 pm

Gman2887 wrote:
eabaker wrote:I like it. I mean, there are only three Godzilla movies that I don't like AT ALL, and two of them are by the same director as this one


E,this may be best reserved for the Kiryu movie threads, but what are your issues with those films? I've always enjoyed them, but generally understand and don't disagree with the complaints toward them. Giganfan, has probably made the best argument against them and I can kind of see yours mirroring his.


It's actually a little hard for me to say much in depth about them, because I genuinely have a hard time paying enough attention to them to remember the details; that's particularly true of Tokyo SOS. Mostly, it's not so much that they have that many strikes against them, I guess, but that they have so little to recommend them. Even the worst of the Showa and Heisei flicks have moments that I consider at least to be stupid fun, and that's true of Megaguirus as well (although Megaguirus has dropped quite a bit in my estimation over the course of my last two viewings, with the entertaining moments brief, few, and far between), but I can't remember a single moment from either of the Kiryu movies that got any kind of reaction out of me. The scripts are generic, the directorial style is flat, and the effects scenes just feel like technical exercises.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
User avatar
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:43 pm
Location: Glendale, CA

Re: TALKBACK #24: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:07 pm

I rewatched this one. I still find it to be the weakest of the Millenium series by a pretty wide margin, but I didn't hate it with the fire of a billion suns like I had in the past. I got some ironic enjoyment out of it, but I wish the script were a little bit better and some of the stuff had a better payoff...like the magic satellite bullet, they should have used that at the end to lock onto Godzilla.

I also really hate the ending, and though some of the CGI is semi-okay, some of the really lazy stuff like explosions and water spouts that could have been done with practical effects irritate me.

It's a bottom 8 or so film, but not number one most awful...
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18873
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

PreviousNext

Return to The Millennium Era: 1999-2005

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests