TALKBACK #24: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Discuss the millennium era of Godzilla films! From Godzilla 2000 Millennium to Godzilla Final Wars, these films comprised a wide variety of styles and topics!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby jrichreturns » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:13 pm

Megaguiras's tail stinger was pretty cool. The Only thing is it should have looked more dragonfly-like like the concept art. Also GxM originally was supposed to answer why Godzilla attacks Japan.
-SEIG ZEON!
User avatar
jrichreturns
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:17 am

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:24 pm

it DOES provide an answer...

it's not a great one, but it's an answer. Godzilla is drawn to large energy sources.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18867
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby eabaker » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:47 pm

Yeah, it's a predictable answer, and one that could have been woven more thoughtfully into the narrative of the film, but it is an answer just the same.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
User avatar
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:43 pm
Location: Glendale, CA

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:56 pm

eabaker wrote:Yeah, it's a predictable answer, and one that could have been woven more thoughtfully into the narrative of the film, but it is an answer just the same.


That's the thing. Especially the whole thing with the guy secretly using plasma energy.

Government shenanigans that are to cause for Godzilla's attacks is really interesting but, as with a lot of the concepts in the film, is totally wasted.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby mbozzo » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:55 pm

I first saw this movie of Sci-Fi, years ago. Godzilla battle a bunch of human sided bugs that later became one big bug. That kaiju was brought to Earth by a device that was supposed to get Godzilla off Earth. Godzilla show why he's King Of The Monster, when he defeated and destroyed the giant alien insect monster. I'm glad that that alien bug never appeared in any more Godzilla movies. :eek:
mbozzo
Godzilla
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:19 pm

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:58 pm

I first watched this on Scifi and I remember not finding out about Megaguirus's energy attack thing until I got the DVD.

It didn't really help the film.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby GFan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:32 am

Revisted MEGAGUIRUS the other day... while quite a few things stuck out as "Hmm, that's a bit... not that good," I still find myself enjoying the movie a whole lot everytime Godzilla shows up. It's more entertaining IMO than G2K, but stretches logic a little too much (yeah, even for a Godzilla movie).
User avatar
GFan
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2095
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:35 am
Location: Maine

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:48 pm

GFan wrote:Revisted MEGAGUIRUS the other day... while quite a few things stuck out as "Hmm, that's a bit... not that good," I still find myself enjoying the movie a whole lot everytime Godzilla shows up. It's more entertaining IMO than G2K, but stretches logic a little too much (yeah, even for a Godzilla movie).
I think G2K is wildly entertaining...it's a very sci-fi godzilla film rather than monster-movie or horror...it works in the same way that Monster Zero does.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18867
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby Benjamin Haines » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:45 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
GFan wrote:Revisted MEGAGUIRUS the other day... while quite a few things stuck out as "Hmm, that's a bit... not that good," I still find myself enjoying the movie a whole lot everytime Godzilla shows up. It's more entertaining IMO than G2K, but stretches logic a little too much (yeah, even for a Godzilla movie).
I think G2K is wildly entertaining...it's a very sci-fi godzilla film rather than monster-movie or horror...it works in the same way that Monster Zero does.


That's one of the things I really dig about Godzilla 2000. It's retro sci-fi that feels modern at the same time, similar to Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.
Image
User avatar
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 5356
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: North Carolina

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:
GFan wrote:Revisted MEGAGUIRUS the other day... while quite a few things stuck out as "Hmm, that's a bit... not that good," I still find myself enjoying the movie a whole lot everytime Godzilla shows up. It's more entertaining IMO than G2K, but stretches logic a little too much (yeah, even for a Godzilla movie).
I think G2K is wildly entertaining...it's a very sci-fi godzilla film rather than monster-movie or horror...it works in the same way that Monster Zero does.


That's one of the things I really dig about Godzilla 2000. It's retro sci-fi that feels modern at the same time, similar to Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.


I don't feel like it's as retro as Sky Captain, but I get what you're saying. It definitely has an old-school 1960s scifi thing going on whilst still doing new stuff like the godzilla prediction network.

It's weird that Megaguirus failed so much because it has a lot of classic scifi stuff like the dimension tide but never manages to have any fun or do anything interesting.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby eabaker » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:01 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:
Benjamin Haines wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:
GFan wrote:Revisted MEGAGUIRUS the other day... while quite a few things stuck out as "Hmm, that's a bit... not that good," I still find myself enjoying the movie a whole lot everytime Godzilla shows up. It's more entertaining IMO than G2K, but stretches logic a little too much (yeah, even for a Godzilla movie).
I think G2K is wildly entertaining...it's a very sci-fi godzilla film rather than monster-movie or horror...it works in the same way that Monster Zero does.


That's one of the things I really dig about Godzilla 2000. It's retro sci-fi that feels modern at the same time, similar to Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.


I don't feel like it's as retro as Sky Captain, but I get what you're saying. It definitely has an old-school 1960s scifi thing going on whilst still doing new stuff like the godzilla prediction network.

It's weird that Megaguirus failed so much because it has a lot of classic scifi stuff like the dimension tide but never manages to have any fun or do anything interesting.


Well, Sky Captain is self-consciously retro in a way that makes it hard to enjoy unless you are entertained specifically by the fact that it is retro.

G2K is, first and foremost, a story, and one which happenes to include retro elements. But it doesn't exist strictly to serve those elements.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
User avatar
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:43 pm
Location: Glendale, CA

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:14 pm

eabaker wrote:G2K is, first and foremost, a story, and one which happenes to include retro elements. But it doesn't exist strictly to serve those elements.


That's why I don't feel it's quite like Sky Captain.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby MouthForWar » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:16 am

I'm sure many of you have already noticed this, but I just noticed that Wataru Mimura wrote a lot of really bad kaiju movies. Look at this guy's writing credits:


Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)
Yamato Takeru (1994)
Godzilla 2000: Millennium (1999)
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002)
Godzilla: Final Wars (2004)

Who knows how Godzilla 2000 turned out so good.

This guys sucks. He's like the Skip Woods of kaiju movies.

I'm not sure what made me post about this in the Megaguirus thread, but whatever.
User avatar
MouthForWar
Controller
 
Posts: 14691
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:01 am
Location: Livonia, MI

Postby Psycho Soldier » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:42 am

He apparently had a co-writer on G2K and GFW. But yeah, while I also enjoy GvMGII and GxMG, there's no denying that his scripts all have some pretty outstanding flaws. Either he chokes under the pressure of tight deadlines or he's just not that good. I don't believe that the former is a great excuse, though: looking at GMK, for example, it's clear that better movies have been delivered on the same kind of schedule. He'd be better off if he killed half of his plot ideas and worked on other parts of his scripts. At that point, his output might become more respectable.
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
User avatar
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:11 pm
Location: Kaneda

Postby kiryugoji04 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:47 am

Yeah, I said about as much in that one Final Wars thread:

kiryugoji04 wrote:Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure it's just poorly-scripted thanks to the rushed production schedule and the involvement of Wataru Mimura, who's not really got much in the way of competent screenwriting skills.


You know who deserves a medal? The editor for GxMG. The fact that the movie is under 90 minutes long works wonders for it. As for G2K, he mostly got lucky with some fun characters but otherwise it bears all the hallmarks of his scripting and the director's directing. It's like Biollante. All of Kawakita's and Omori's faults can be glimpsed at the film's periphery yet they still accidentally made a pretty good film. :lol:

God, Toho attached so much mediocre talent to this series post-1975. :(
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7637
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:50 pm
Location: Atlanta, Jawjuh

Postby Bluejira » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:39 am

Loved the dimension tide device. Wished they had used it even more effectively.
Have Godzilla defeat Megaguirus at the end of the second act.
Then the g-graspers try to use it on Godzilla other larger monsters appears from the tide Megalon and more Megaguirai. Great final battle and the ending could still be the same.
User avatar
Bluejira
Godzilla Jr.
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:59 pm
Location: Fogertown, KY

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:43 pm

The Dimension Tide is a wild, crazy, fun idea...which is subsequently squashed by its appearance in this ass film.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18867
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:49 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:The Dimension Tide is a wild, crazy, fun idea...which is subsequently squashed by its appearance in this ass film.


So very very true.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby armandv » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:17 pm

Image
User avatar
armandv
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1757
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:30 am
Location: Tarzana, California (somewhere near Hollywood)

Postby Irish Gfan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:55 pm

One major flaw I have to point out about this movie.

Godzilla X Megaguiras might have the WORST closing scene in any Godzilla film. Typically these movies end with a shot of Godzilla or some other monster going back to the sea or the people celebrating the evil monster's defeat or something along those lines. It gets repetitive, sure, but those typically feel like the classy way to end one of these films and it never feels out of place.

This movie? The closing scene is a bad joke. Kudo gets hit in his broken arm, says ouch, Kuriko says sorry, fade to black and roll credits. That is beyond weak and a terrible closing impression on the film. Yeah there is the post credits sequence that teases Godzilla's return, but that's after the credits and only for those that sat through the credits, and even then, we don't even see Godzilla. We just get the dopey kid looking out the window as we hear the roar.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a worst Godzilla closing scene. MAYBE Godzilla's Revenge, but that movie was so bad I sort of gave up on it by the end, so whatever. Some people might also say Godzilla Vs. Megalon with the Jet Jaguar song, but I disagree. That song is hilarious!
Irish Gfan
Little Godzilla
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:37 am

Postby briizilla » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:18 pm

The giant condor in Sea Monster is a better effect than the adult megaguiras. At least the FX crew bothered to flap its wings.

This movie is lazy, sloppy, boring, embarrassing garbage.

I'd rather watch 2 hours of the worst fx from the Showa era stitched together than this.
~Brian~
_______________________________________

1313
briizilla
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2224
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:41 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby H-Man » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:04 am

briizilla wrote:This movie is lazy, sloppy, boring, embarrassing garbage.


This is all that needs to be said, folks. The discussion is over.
User avatar
H-Man
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1015
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:55 am

Postby MouthForWar » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:05 am

Flaws? In this movie? This entire movie is a flaw.
User avatar
MouthForWar
Controller
 
Posts: 14691
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:01 am
Location: Livonia, MI

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:08 am

MouthForWar wrote:Flaws? In this movie? This entire movie is a flaw.


I actually like one thing. The design of Megaguirus. Cool looking kaiju utterly wasted by people who couldn't even reach the bare minimum of effects work.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:32 am

Irish Gfan wrote:This movie? The closing scene is a bad joke.
Agreed. The first time I saw the movie was on Sci-fi and I honestly thought they did a poor job editing or something...
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18867
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

PreviousNext

Return to The Millennium Era: 1999-2005

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest