TALKBACK #24: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Discuss the millennium era of Godzilla films! From Godzilla 2000 Millennium to Godzilla Final Wars, these films comprised a wide variety of styles and topics!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:39 am

Giganfan wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:The meganula swarm is one of the saddest moments in the film.


Oh come on, it's not that bad. If you're referring to the similar sequence in Gamera 2, the cgi in that particular part is just as bad, if not more so. It's one of the very few bad effects shots in that movie.



It's still far more effective. It just looks far more interesting. Megaguirus tried to do something that was done before and couldn't really do it any better.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:41 am

and here I thought you thought it was one of the saddest moments because it gives us a glimpse into how fun the movie COULD have been
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18874
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby Giganfan » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:13 pm

I agree, that type of sequence has been done to death in the kaiju eiga genre, but interestingly enough, as I recall, it's only been done once before in the Godzilla series. In Godzilla vs. Destroyah, Koichi Kawakita uses traditional methods to depict the crab-form Destroyahs climbing all over Godzilla and spraying him with micro-oxygen. And while not a bad sequence, Kawakita ever the "rebel" just kind of throws it in there without any explanation, and it's really just a set-piece that stops the movie in its tracks. It's almost as if he's saying, "here, get a load of this". In Godzilla x Megaguirus, atleast the similar shot works in service of the story. I like how Godzilla uses any and all means to dislodge the Meganula swarm from his body, from biting and clawing, to tail-swiping them and crashing into a rocky out-cropping. Then he tops it off by blasting them all out of the sky with his beautifully-rendered, golden-red atomic breath. And, of course, Michiro Ooshima comes to the rescue with some enthusiastic and frenetic music.

Without question, "GxM" is a mis-fire, but as with every Godzilla movie, I still like a thing-or-two about it. That particular sequence is one of them.
"EVERYONE FORGET YOUR TROUBLES! ENJOY YOURSELVES!THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!" - Gigantis The Fire Monster

"It was HUGE...It was...IT WAS LIKE A MONSTER!!! Suddenly the rocks rose...ALIVE!" - Godzilla 1985
Giganfan
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:56 am
Location: St. Clair Shores, MI

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:46 pm

It's not that its been done before, it's that its been done SO much better. It doesn't help an already heavily flawed film.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:35 am

MekaGojira3k wrote:It's not that its been done before, it's that its been done SO much better. It doesn't help an already heavily flawed film.
it's been a good while since I've seen G2, but I don't remember ever thinking that the sequence in GxM pales in comparison...
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18874
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:18 am

I just compare them because it's a swarm of insects trying to attack/partially cover a monster. It reminds me of G2, but it looks so bad in comparison.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby The Real McCoy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:43 am

It's been a while since I've seen Megaguirus, but the scene in G2 always stuck out like a sore thumb to me *ducks and covers head*.

But, having said that, G2 is on a level of awesome that automatically negates all flaws. :D

Megaguirus sucks, so everything wrong with it is magnified.
Image
User avatar
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:59 am
Location: North Carolina

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:53 am

I guess in G2 the flaw is in the CGI Legion, but it never bothered me, because they switch to the physical models pretty quickly.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby The Real McCoy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:57 am

I was talking about the legion swarm covering Gamera after the first flower was destroyed. It's not necessarily the swarm, but the way Gamera looks as it's happening.
Image
User avatar
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:59 am
Location: North Carolina

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:02 am

The Real McCoy wrote:I was talking about the legion swarm covering Gamera after the first flower was destroyed. It's not necessarily the swarm, but the way Gamera looks as it's happening.


That's what I'm talking about.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby Reaper G » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:41 am

I prefer the Megaguirus swarm attack to Legion's, simply because Godzilla actually fought the bugs off.
Pest, MSTie, Foodie, G-fan, Wrestlemaniac, and geek-at-large
http://reaper_g.livejournal.com
Reaper G
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1098
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:35 am
Location: Las Vegas

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:06 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:
The Real McCoy wrote:I was talking about the legion swarm covering Gamera after the first flower was destroyed. It's not necessarily the swarm, but the way Gamera looks as it's happening.


That's what I'm talking about.
...man I'm REALLY gonna hafta watch G2 again soon, but you think that looks BETTER than the scene in GxM?
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18874
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:10 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:
The Real McCoy wrote:I was talking about the legion swarm covering Gamera after the first flower was destroyed. It's not necessarily the swarm, but the way Gamera looks as it's happening.


That's what I'm talking about.
...man I'm REALLY gonna hafta watch G2 again soon, but you think that looks BETTER than the scene in GxM?


Yep. It certainly doesn't look worse.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:32 am

MekaGojira3k wrote:Yep. It certainly doesn't look worse.
hrmmm...i don't know if i can concur with this.

i always thought that shot looked kinda bad.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18874
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:56 am

jellydonut25 wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:Yep. It certainly doesn't look worse.
hrmmm...i don't know if i can concur with this.

i always thought that shot looked kinda bad.


Well even if its flawed, it follows your support of GvsKG over GvsMG 93. At least it tried something. The Megaguirus swarm just looks pitiful and half-hearted compared to the Legion.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby klen7 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:06 am

i thought the Megaguirus swarm seemed like an annoyance to Godzilla whereas the legion soldier swarm seemed like a legitimate threat to Gamera... which in my opinion makes it the more effective of the two scenes.. unless they were going for annoying... which in hindsight could explain a few things about Godzilla vs Megaguirus....
User avatar
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7302
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:34 pm
Location: beyond your peripheral vision

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:07 am

klen7 wrote:they were going for annoying... which in hindsight could explain a few things about Godzilla vs Megaguirus....

:lol:
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby The Real McCoy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:12 am

I think both swarms were trying to accomplish the same thing; they wanted to steal their respective monster's energy/life force. But the Legion swarm was obviously the more dangerous of the two. I'll have to watch Megaguirus again(:puke:), but I thought that particular sequence felt more urgent than the mega-whatever (I can't remember what the hell they are; meganula, meganulon, blah...) swarm felt.
Image
User avatar
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:59 am
Location: North Carolina

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:15 am

Meganula swarm, I think.

Meganulon into Meganula, and then one becomes Megaguirus (the queen).
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:59 am

MekaGojira3k wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:Yep. It certainly doesn't look worse.
hrmmm...i don't know if i can concur with this.

i always thought that shot looked kinda bad.


Well even if its flawed, it follows your support of GvsKG over GvsMG 93. At least it tried something. The Megaguirus swarm just looks pitiful and half-hearted compared to the Legion.


trying something gets you the win when both things are equally bad...G2 gets the win not because it tries something, but because it is a thousand times better in every way (except for MAYBE the swarm which I have yet to compare side-by-side) than GxM
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18874
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:49 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:Yep. It certainly doesn't look worse.
hrmmm...i don't know if i can concur with this.

i always thought that shot looked kinda bad.


Well even if its flawed, it follows your support of GvsKG over GvsMG 93. At least it tried something. The Megaguirus swarm just looks pitiful and half-hearted compared to the Legion.


trying something gets you the win when both things are equally bad...G2 gets the win not because it tries something, but because it is a thousand times better in every way (except for MAYBE the swarm which I have yet to compare side-by-side) than GxM


I'm just talking about that scene in particular. It goes without saying G2 trumps X Megaguirus....and most Godzilla films, honestly.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:50 am

MekaGojira3k wrote:It goes without saying G2 trumps most films, honestly.

fixed.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18874
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:29 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:It goes without saying G2 trumps most films, honestly.

fixed.


Yeah..... But I was just talking about it in comparison X Megaguirus, so why did it need fixing?
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:00 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:It goes without saying G2 trumps most films, honestly.

fixed.


Yeah..... But I was just talking about it in comparison X Megaguirus, so why did it need fixing?
because you said "Most Godzilla films."

don't really need the "Godzilla" qualifier in there...G2 is just better than most movies period.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18874
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:49 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:It goes without saying G2 trumps most films, honestly.

fixed.


Yeah..... But I was just talking about it in comparison X Megaguirus, so why did it need fixing?
because you said "Most Godzilla films."

don't really need the "Godzilla" qualifier in there...G2 is just better than most movies period.


You do if its specific to the point you're trying to make. :P
You just changed it, and now we're off on a tangent! FURTHER PROOF THAT IT WAS FINE AS IS, SIR.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

PreviousNext

Return to The Millennium Era: 1999-2005

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests