TALKBACK #24: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Discuss the millennium era of Godzilla films! From Godzilla 2000 Millennium to Godzilla Final Wars, these films comprised a wide variety of styles and topics!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby metal_bryan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:41 am

Let's Fix The Tezuka Films :lol:
User avatar
metal_bryan
Controller
 
Posts: 4249
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:59 am
Location: Florida, USA

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:46 am

metal_bryan wrote:Let's Fix The Tezuka Films :lol:


O_O
I'm still thinking about the Rebirth of Mothra films. STILL, feel free to start it up!
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:49 am

metal_bryan wrote:Let's Fix The Tezuka Films :lol:
for me, fixing the two mechagodzilla films comes down essentially to doing little more than fixing the stiffness of Godzilla in the first film and the editing of effects sequences in the second film.

while neither one would be perfect with those two minor fixes, i think they'd instantly jump to being my favorite Millenium films.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18874
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:54 pm

I think X MechaGodzilla MIGHT improve. Tezuka's biggest handicap is still his characters.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:56 am

on paper, this movie looks like a LOT of fun:
whacky inventor
zany new weaponry
swarms of giant bugs
energy stealing from Godzilla to create a super-mega-bug
Godzilla returns to some of his more 70s-ish fighting style
great score
at least one scene that has never been featured or attempted in a Godzilla film before


but watching this movie play out...i really can't understand how someone could take all those ideas and make a movie that is SO FREAKING DULL.

what the hell happened?
Even though Godzilla has some of that anthropomorphism of the 70s-era in terms of his fighting style, he is almost completely devoid of character whatsoever. He shows up in whatever way serves the plot: 'we need the main characters friend to die...have Godzilla kill him by accident.' "We need a scene where the main character rides Godzilla's spines and hits him with the tracking bullet...have him just randomly appear under her." 'We need a scene where the dimension tide doesn't work, have Godzilla make landfall on some random uninhabited island" -- this last one bothers me the most.
They spend the entire movie telling us that Godzilla is basically amoral, neither good nor bad (BORING) and that he only attacks Japan when drawn there by an energy source, and that he only makes landfall when drawn by an energy source...but then he shows up on some random frigging island for no reason other than to have a scene dubbed necessary to the film's plot? F*** that noise.

Megaguirus is the most laughably executed creation in the entire series, and that includes the giant flying bag of carpet samples.

I know none of these movies have very big budgets, but I look at the two that bookend this one and I can't help but wonder where the money went...this thing looks like it was made by a daytime soap or syfy original crew...

As has been said, Tsujimori may as well be mad at a hurricane or flood or fire for how responsible Godzilla is...AND in a world where Godzilla has already existed I can't believe anybody would be dumb enough to think a small plattoon of foot-soldiers with bazookas would be able to take him down.

and what reason is there to reboot the timeline? NONE. This movie could just as easily have been a sequel to G2K with no change...it already plays off the idea that Godzilla is attracted to all energy sources, not just nuclear ones, a concept introduced in G2K...

At the end of the day, there are a couple of things to like, so maybe this gets a better rating for me than GvsMothra and possibly Hedorah, but that's really it...

I think what makes it worse is that it's a movie i REALLY do WANT to like, because the ideas in it all sound so fun, the Godzilla suit is awesome (I love this suit), and the score is fantastic, but all of that might just be what makes its failure anger me even more...gobs and gobs of wasted potential here.

oh and "megaguirus-vision". Isn't that the excuse given for the horrible effects during the final battle? what a crock.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18874
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:20 am

By megagiurus vision are you referring to the weird slow motion thing?
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby kiryugoji04 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:56 am

I cannot explain or justify why I like this film. I just do.

:lol:
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:50 pm
Location: Atlanta, Jawjuh

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:01 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:By megagiurus vision are you referring to the weird slow motion thing?
yeah...
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18874
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:03 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:I cannot explain or justify why I like this film. I just do.

:lol:

a few possible explanations:
you ate lead paint chips as a child
you grew up living under power lines
you were dropped on your head
you have a version of the movie that nobody has ever seen, one which actually makes use of its insane premise
you're blind and have someone describe the movie to you and since they can't stomach watching this thing to describe it to you, they just play the soundtrack and ad-lib a good movie
you're lying.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18874
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby Goji 84 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:22 pm

God forbid somebody likes a movie you can't stand! How DARE them! :x
User avatar
Goji 84
Godzilla
 
Posts: 703
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:34 am
Location: Maryland

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:31 pm

Goji 84 wrote:God forbid somebody likes a movie you can't stand! How DARE them! :x
if you thought i was being serious with that then you need to relax.

this isn't the first time you've taken issue with me calling someone out for liking a movie that i dislike...and it's not the first time i've thought you need to lighten up when i make such a comment.

telling someone they "made a mistake" by listing a movie high on their enjoyment list that I personally dislike or implying that someone was a big fan of paint-chip salads is so clearly a joke, and so obviously sarcasm, that i would think most people would think i was talking down to them if i threw down a "sarcasm include" qualifier on the post.


just for you, i'll make sure to do that from now on...or at leat until i get sick of it.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18874
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby Goji 84 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:56 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
Goji 84 wrote:God forbid somebody likes a movie you can't stand! How DARE them! :x
if you thought i was being serious with that then you need to relax.

Ditto. I wasn't.

this isn't the first time you've taken issue with me calling someone out for liking a movie that i dislike...and it's not the first time i've thought you need to lighten up when i make such a comment.

Well, that's the thing. They like it, and you don't. So where's the issue?

I can't stand FINAL WARS, or this film, but if somebody else enjoys them, how does that effect me? It doesn't.

If anything, I'm fascinated by people who love GFW, because I've spent so long trying to understand why it appeals to so many fans. That's far more interesting to me than constantly reminding people why I think something sucks.

telling someone they "made a mistake" by listing a movie high on their enjoyment list that I personally dislike or implying that someone was a big fan of paint-chip salads is so clearly a joke, and so obviously sarcasm, that i would think most people would think i was talking down to them if i threw down a "sarcasm include" qualifier on the post.

just for you, i'll make sure to do that from now on...or at leat until i get sick of it.


Yes, another response of mine that also wasn't meant to be taken seriously. You can take that condescending tone of yours down a few notches. Thanks.

You're assuming that I'm taking everything you say seriously because that's how you feel about my responses. Apparently, you seem to think you're the only person capable of blatant sarcasm/morbid humor.
User avatar
Goji 84
Godzilla
 
Posts: 703
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:34 am
Location: Maryland

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:16 pm

I'll be honest, your response here isn't the one that got to me...it was the "Some people might find Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah to be good" response that had me thinking you were taking me seriously.


I won't hold a grudge if you won't.

(But if you do.... :lol: )
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18874
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby kiryugoji04 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:13 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:telling someone they "made a mistake" by listing a movie high on their enjoyment list that I personally dislike or implying that someone was a big fan of paint-chip salads is so clearly a joke, and so obviously sarcasm, that i would think most people would think i was talking down to them if i threw down a "sarcasm include" qualifier on the post.

just for you, i'll make sure to do that from now on...or at leat until i get sick of it.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_punctuation

Also, I kind of DID live under power lines as a kid. There was a high-tension line that passed right behind my house. :lol:

This film probably has more faults than positives but I enjoy watching the characters be assholes to each other and since that kind of lets me stand them, I can get on board with the other craziness from there. It's a crap-ton of wasted potential - AS USUAL - but... I just can't help myself. Also, I LOVE the miniaturework in the opening attack on Osaka. It's not the best in the series but I still really like it anyway.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:50 pm
Location: Atlanta, Jawjuh

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:28 am

I think Megaguirus would have been a MUCH more interesting film if they dropped the Black Hole gun, and focused on the guy secretly using nuclear energy plot. Huge government scandal that somehow creates Megaguirus and brings Godzilla back.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby Goji 84 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:39 am

jellydonut25 wrote:I'll be honest, your response here isn't the one that got to me...it was the "Some people might find Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah to be good" response that had me thinking you were taking me seriously.


I won't hold a grudge if you won't.

(But if you do.... :lol: )


No worries. Sarcasm is almost impossible to read over the internet anyways. I don't hold grudges because, well, they're completely pointless.

We're good, brah. :peace:
User avatar
Goji 84
Godzilla
 
Posts: 703
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:34 am
Location: Maryland

Postby The Real McCoy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:47 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:I think Megaguirus would have been a MUCH more interesting film if they dropped the Black Hole gun, and focused on the guy secretly using nuclear energy plot. Huge government scandal that somehow creates Megaguirus and brings Godzilla back.


I think either or would have worked. I thought the Black Hole Gun was a neat concept.

But then again, the "Let's build a super-weapon to destroy Godzilla" angle has been used over and over. The secret government scandal is something kind of new and original.
Image
User avatar
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:59 am
Location: North Carolina

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:52 pm

The Real McCoy wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:I think Megaguirus would have been a MUCH more interesting film if they dropped the Black Hole gun, and focused on the guy secretly using nuclear energy plot. Huge government scandal that somehow creates Megaguirus and brings Godzilla back.


I think either or would have worked. I thought the Black Hole Gun was a neat concept.

But then again, the "Let's build a super-weapon to destroy Godzilla" angle has been used over and over. The secret government scandal is something kind of new and original.
this movie has a lot going for it on paper, i could almost see someone liking it...

i myself prefer to it most of the 90s G films...
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18874
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby The Real McCoy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:04 pm

I have stated this before, but I think the actors were the most annoying thing about the movie for me. I mean, I can deal with the dorky scientist, but the major really bugged me. I really get annoyed with the "Godzilla killed my friend years ago so I'm going to hate him forever and treat everybody else like sh*t because of it" type character. That may sound a bit over-dramatic, but that's the only description I can come up with ("angsty"?).

The rest is kind of a blur to me; I'm just pointing out things that stuck out in my mind (it's been a while since I've watched it, for obvious reasons). Megaguirus, I thought, took a little too long to develop. Other than that, the rest of the monster action was fine. The Black Hole Gun was cool, and the secret nuclear energy plant was mysterious.
Image
User avatar
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:59 am
Location: North Carolina

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:14 pm

I mean, the Black Hole gun is neat, but...you'd think a film with that concept would be more ABSURD SCIFI FUN TIMES.

I only prefer Megaguirus to maybe Godzilla vs. Mothra, but I'd still rather sit through the other 90s Heisei films than Megaguirus.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby Giganfan » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:29 am

Megaguirus itself is a lame, uninspired kaiju creation. I mean, the design might have worked if not for the horribly uneven execution by Kenji Suzuki. It's a shame too, because I actually kind of like Suzuki's effects work. He never seemed to be afraid of trying new things, be it an interesting camera angle, or trying to seemlessly blend old "tokusatsu" methods with contemporary computer technology. Some of it worked, and alot of it didn't.

Without going into it too much, I'll say that Godzilla X Megaguirus isn't much to write home about. It's Masaaki Tezuka's "dry-run", and his directorial debut, so he gets a pass in some areas, but not all of them. I liked the battle between Godzilla and the Meganula swarm, and Michiro Oshima's score is awesome. I think in Oshima, Toho finally got something write. She really seems to get the Godzilla series in a way that Koroku, Sugiyama and Hattori never did. It certainly hasn't been understood so well since Akira Ifukube (Masaru Sato, of course, is another matter entirely; that guy was a GENIUS!).

Overall, not the worst movie in the series, but pretty damn-close.
"EVERYONE FORGET YOUR TROUBLES! ENJOY YOURSELVES!THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!" - Gigantis The Fire Monster

"It was HUGE...It was...IT WAS LIKE A MONSTER!!! Suddenly the rocks rose...ALIVE!" - Godzilla 1985
Giganfan
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:56 am
Location: St. Clair Shores, MI

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:44 am

I 100% agree on Oshima and I wish that Toho, realizing how well she understood the series, and hearing how well her score fit the general feel of a kaiju film, would have had her do more...it's not a super strong wish, because i like the GMK score and i enjoy some of the GFW score, but there it is.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18874
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby The Real McCoy » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:43 am

I did not like the score for either of those two movies. I most definitely would rather have had her score those as well.
Image
User avatar
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:59 am
Location: North Carolina

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:17 am

The meganula swarm is one of the saddest moments in the film. Because it makes me think of G2, and one should never compare this to anything that good.

I like GMK's score, but I wish Oshima would have stuck around for Final Wars.

Although her sound may have not really fit that particular film.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18288
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby Giganfan » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:52 am

MekaGojira3k wrote:The meganula swarm is one of the saddest moments in the film.


Oh come on, it's not that bad. If you're referring to the similar sequence in Gamera 2, the cgi in that particular part is just as bad, if not more so. It's one of the very few bad effects shots in that movie.
"EVERYONE FORGET YOUR TROUBLES! ENJOY YOURSELVES!THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!" - Gigantis The Fire Monster

"It was HUGE...It was...IT WAS LIKE A MONSTER!!! Suddenly the rocks rose...ALIVE!" - Godzilla 1985
Giganfan
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:56 am
Location: St. Clair Shores, MI

PreviousNext

Return to The Millennium Era: 1999-2005

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest