TALKBACK #24: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Discuss the millennium era of Godzilla films! From Godzilla 2000 Millennium to Godzilla Final Wars, these films comprised a wide variety of styles and topics!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby MouthForWar » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:15 am

Dr Kain wrote:I just watched this movie and it is a vast improvement over 2000.

MouthForWar
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:29 am

^ :lol:
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:39 am

^^ :lol:
Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Mac » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:12 am

Kain is 100% right in this case. I will back him up till the end.
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:11 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:As sloppy and bad as G2k can be...Megaguirus is an incredible step down. I think the monster fights are actually pretty fun, but the rest of the film is so unpleasant that I can't see this as a VAST improvement. Of course, it seems from your "but as with most of the movies, it is the monsters that matter and that is where this movie shines" that the monster fights are how you judge these films. If that's the case..then yeah I guess I see it, but that's only if you don't take into account ANYTHING else.

It could be the music. The whole reason I do enjoy the prequel Star Wars movies is becuase of its music, as the music can turn a bad movie into a good movie.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:19 pm

Eh, I felt some of the score to Revenge of the Fallen was pretty great, but nothing can save that film.

Likewise with Megaguirus, (though I must make it plain that I feel GxMegaguirus is a far more competent film than Revenge of the Fallen).
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby briizilla » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:37 pm

This is the nadir of the Godzilla series in my opinion. It's just an awful awful movie, worse than spacegodzilla, worse than megalon, worse than gino.
The fact that the wings on megawhatsis don't even flap in some scenes is unforgivable for a sfx film made past 1965.

Awful.
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:02 pm

briizilla wrote:This is the nadir of the Godzilla series in my opinion. It's just an awful awful movie, worse than spacegodzilla, worse than megalon, worse than gino.
The fact that the wings on megawhatsis don't even flap in some scenes is unforgivable for a sfx film made past 1965.

Awful.

After this film, I thought that the Godzilla series was sinking like the Titanic and that there was nothing that could be done to save it.
I got no problem with anybody who jumps into a Starfury and rides fire! (Babylon 5)
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:15 pm

Andrew Nguyen wrote:
briizilla wrote:This is the nadir of the Godzilla series in my opinion. It's just an awful awful movie, worse than spacegodzilla, worse than megalon, worse than gino.

Awful.

After this film, I thought that the Godzilla series was sinking like the Titanic and that there was nothing that could be done to save it.

I saw GMK before I watched this. So I never held that kind of fear.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Goji 84 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:22 pm

I had a similar experience. I got a boot of this during the holiday season of 2001, and while I found it to be a lot more fun than G2K, it definitely wasn't any better.

I recall thinking to myself "Well, that was a lot of fun, but still pretty sh*tty". GMK was like a breath of fresh air (at least in terms of overall quality) after those two duds.
Goji 84
Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:18 pm

See, I don't even have fun watching this. The monster fights, maybe...but the rest killsssss meee. It's even worse that there's such potential. BLACK HOLE GUN? GOVERNMENT ENERGY CONSPIRACY!? So much potential...wasted. Ugh.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:34 am

MekaGojira3k wrote:See, I don't even have fun watching this. The monster fights, maybe...but the rest killsssss meee. It's even worse that there's such potential. BLACK HOLE GUN? GOVERNMENT ENERGY CONSPIRACY!? So much potential...wasted. Ugh.

I agree. The final battle with Megaguirus is very entertaining, even if its not exactly executed well, and the scene with the girl on Godzilla's back is very cool, but EVERYTHING else about this movie is dull as dirt
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:03 am

MouthForWar wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:See, I don't even have fun watching this. The monster fights, maybe...but the rest killsssss meee. It's even worse that there's such potential. BLACK HOLE GUN? GOVERNMENT ENERGY CONSPIRACY!? So much potential...wasted. Ugh.

I agree. The final battle with Megaguirus is very entertaining, even if its not exactly executed well, and the scene with the girl on Godzilla's back is very cool, but EVERYTHING else about this movie is dull as dirt
yeah, i can't even honestly say that the monster scenes are great, other than the two you mentioned (Godzilla vs. the swarm is also pretty neat)...i mean, megaguirus is SO poorly executed that it's not even laughable. it's just sad.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby The Real McCoy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:12 am

jellydonut25 wrote:yeah, i can't even honestly say that the monster scenes are great, other than the two you mentioned (Godzilla vs. the swarm is also pretty neat)...i mean, megaguirus is SO poorly executed that it's not even laughable. it's just sad.

I'm in the same boat here. The monster action is pretty much the high point of this movie, but it's still pretty boring. Watching this, I felt like there could have been a good movie in there somewhere, but they just failed to capitalize. Megaguirus would have been a much cooler monster if they would have put a little more effort into it.

And I don't like green and purple Godzilla. :naughty:
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Goji 84 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:26 pm

I agree with all of the above points. The only thing good about this film is the monster action, and even then, it's not always executed well. It just has a certain energy to it that was painfully missing from the 90's films, and I think that's why it stood out to me during that initial viewing in 2001.

I actually don't think too highly of this film at all these days. Even the battle scenes don't do much for me anymore. Sitting through this dubbed at G-Fest 2010 (a fuzzy looking DVD screening, mind you) was definitely a chore, and was only bearable because of the amusing commentary from people in the audience.
Goji 84
Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:36 pm

Goji 84 wrote:It just has a certain energy to it that was painfully missing from the 90's films
This much is very true.

The one thing that I REALLLY love about the monster stuff in this film is the moment when Megaguirus actually gives this evil grin before, god..I may have this wrong, but I think he's about to drop a piece of building onto Godzilla. It's so great.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Psycho Soldier » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:53 pm

"Boring People Doing Cool Things: The Movie." I just finished watching it, after having not seen it for many years, and the only thing I really enjoy is the last fight sequence. (But even that could've been more interesting: I remember publicity stills showing Godzilla fighting Megaguirus in the flooded district. That might've been cool to see.) Everything else is so bland and nondescript. It's like watching somebody's lame fan fiction come to life, with plenty of ideas but no real thought behind them.
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:13 pm

Bruticus wrote:It's like watching somebody's lame fan fiction come to life

That's pretty much all of Tezuka's films, isn't it?

EL OH EL.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Psycho Soldier » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:46 am

A few days later, and the only thing that's memorable about the human side of things is that Dubtitle Kudo wants to "make Godzilla disappear up his own butthole." For some reason, probably because it's late, I cannot stop thinking of the original Resident Evil now that this line has come to mind.

"That was too close! You were almost a Godzilla sandwich."
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Cookie » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:01 am

This films not even better than Godzilla's Revenge!

But seriously... when I first watched the film(On VCD in 02 or 03) I thought it was pretty good. Overtime.... I've started liking it less and less. That slow-motion fight scene at the end bugs me so bad... lol

I plan on watching it tomorrow. We'll see how it stands up now... maybe watching it with my 2 year old son will make it better. I think that's something we all have to remember here as well... most of these G films are made for kids.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:03 am

Cookson wrote:most of these G films are made for kids.

Although this is a fact a lot of people overlook (same thing with the Avengers films), if I was a LITTLE kid, I think GxM might make me even MORE bored than it does now.

Kids just want to see tons of monster action and GxM doesn't provide that... I mean, when I was a kid I LOVED Godzilla vs. Megalon for that very reason. As an adult I enjoy it for how dumb it is and on a nostalgic level, but as a film I can see that its pretty poor.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:23 am

Yeah, I think I'd be even more bored and uninterested. *shrug*
It's a shame, because the black hole gun is an awesome Showa-esque weapon concept, and Megaguirus is cool looking if terribly executed. It's kind of like a lot of his films. You look at the basic ideas and go "Well this all looks so interesting! I'll definitely check it out!" Then you see it and go ..."OH....oh.."
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:31 am

My favorite Godzilla movies as a kid were Sea Monster, Son of, Gigan, Megalon, and Mechagodzilla...

each and every one of those films is better than Megaguirus on every possible level
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby metal_bryan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:33 am

jellydonut25 wrote:My favorite Godzilla movies as a kid were Sea Monster, Son of, Gigan, Megalon, and Mechagodzilla...

each and every one of those films is better than Megaguirus on every possible level

Jelly and I are of one mind in this thread.
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:39 am

Mine were Raids Again, Monster Zero, vs. Gigan, vs. Hedorah (once I finally saw it), vs. MechaGodzilla, vs. Biollante

Even Raids Again, a pretty subpar film (made more so by being sandwiched between the original and King Kong vs. Godzilla) is still well above Megaguirus.

Tezuka's biggest problem, I think, is that his films come off as not even bad fan fiction, but just...like ideas for fan fiction. When it came to actually constructing the story he put about as much effort as most fan fiction stuff does. Think "Let's Fix the Heisei Series" if each of our entries were just a paragraph.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to The Millennium Era: 1999-2005