TALKBACK #24: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Discuss the millennium era of Godzilla films! From Godzilla 2000 Millennium to Godzilla Final Wars, these films comprised a wide variety of styles and topics!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:35 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:
Inferior Rodan wrote:I have a soft spot for this G vs M, the story is pretty terrible but i agree the minature work is really good and the overall movie is a pure popcorn fest to me. Just simple minded fun and i can`t hate it for that.

Simple minded is right, but I don't quite see the fun part.

I'm not seeing the "really good" miniature work either. This movie looks like ass.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:46 pm

MouthForWar wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:
Inferior Rodan wrote:I have a soft spot for this G vs M, the story is pretty terrible but i agree the minature work is really good and the overall movie is a pure popcorn fest to me. Just simple minded fun and i can`t hate it for that.

Simple minded is right, but I don't quite see the fun part.

I'm not seeing the "really good" miniature work either. This movie looks like ass.

I overlooked that part of the message. My brain saw "fun" and immediately wanted to respond with "NOPE."

But effects-wise, I do think this is the most disappointing of the Millennium films.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:52 am

With the exception of some minor details here and there, the miniatures in this film look pretty much the same as the miniatures in ALL of the Millennium films, sans GFW and, to a certain extent, GMK. A LOT of these miniatures are stock and recycled multiple times.

When I look at these miniatures I see roughly the same level of detail as any other Millennium Godzilla film or post-2004 Ultraman film. What am I missing that makes them look so offensive to you, Mouth? I mean, Megaguirus' execution is terrible, yes, and a lot of the composites range from mediocre to bad, and there's plenty of questionable CGI all over the place. But the miniatures? Pretty standard fare for a Millennium Godzilla film and, at least for my money, they're pretty delectable.

But I have a miniature fetish or something, so sue me.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:36 am

kiryugoji04 wrote:With the exception of some minor details here and there, the miniatures in this film look pretty much the same as the miniatures in ALL of the Millennium films, sans GFW and, to a certain extent, GMK. A LOT of these miniatures are stock and recycled multiple times.

When I look at these miniatures I see roughly the same level of detail as any other Millennium Godzilla film or post-2004 Ultraman film. What am I missing that makes them look so offensive to you, Mouth? I mean, Megaguirus' execution is terrible, yes, and a lot of the composites range from mediocre to bad, and there's plenty of questionable CGI all over the place. But the miniatures? Pretty standard fare for a Millennium Godzilla film and, at least for my money, they're pretty delectable.

But I have a miniature fetish or something, so sue me.

Then it might just be the flat way in which they are shot and the way they are used then to be honest... or maybe its the rest of the sets that the miniatures are sitting on? Cuz its not even just the miniatures, the whole movie looks like crap.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Goji 84 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:48 pm

..I'm going to echo MFW's statement. I just don't see the "astounding miniature work" here. Maybe they just don't look as good since most of the film takes place during the day, I don't know, but I always thought the miniatures paled a bit in comparison to the films surrounding it.

I guess I'll have to look at this film more closely next time..if I ever magically decide to watch it again.

I suppose MEGARUIGUS can be "fun"...as long as you've got nothing better to do. I want to enjoy it more, but it falls flat (for me) in just about every way. It's easily in my bottom 3 Godzilla films. Call me insane, but I'd rather watch SPACEGODZILLA over this *dodges anvil*
Last edited by Goji 84 on Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goji 84
Godzilla

Postby Shonokin » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:36 pm

Couldn't say about GXM because I've only seen in on VHS.

But I saw Tokyo:SOS in the theater* and the main thing I remember about it was the incredible amount of detail that went into the sets. Down to buildings having little TV satellite dishes and ladders, etc on them. I actually don't remember if the overall effect was good, but the detail was there.

*in fact I saw it while sitting a few chairs from Hiroshi Koizumi :D
Shonokin
Monster 01

Postby kiryugoji04 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:14 pm

Oh, Tokyo SOS definitely has more detail and GMK has more usage of larger scale miniatures for some shots so I'd definitely say those are superior, don't get me wrong.

I dunno! I like the miniatures! CAN'T HELP IT. D8

They're better'n Kawakita's tripe from the 90s, at least. (I'll make an exception for GvsKG.)

Shonokin wrote:*in fact I saw it while sitting a few chairs from Hiroshi Koizumi :D

I got to see Godzilla sitting directly behind Takarada! :D
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby rockstarbd82 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:06 pm

Godzilla vs Megaguerias

This is another G-film I can't quite make up my mind on.

The fact that it ignores the events of Godzilla 2000 (even though the suit is very damn similar) is annoying (as was the case with all the millenium films. might as well have called it the "Multiverse Series" instead of millenium if that was their intent)

The story I'll agree is a severe downer compared to the other stories I've seen in G-films. The actors however seem to act their parts decently enough, but this is just the wrong story for the film period.

The Black Hole cannon was kinda creative for a different way to get rid of Godzilla, but still a tad bit far fetched.

As for the set pieces which everyone seems to be mentioning, don't really notice too much of a difference than the other films. Seemed fine to me. Though the small bits of debris hanging from Godzillas mouth after trying to bite Meg was funny.

The best scenes in this film are obvious the monster fights. I usually just skip to the end on this one. The monster fight, sequences, and frequent changes in speed/pacing really make this monster battle unique and a memorable one for me. The editing was done exceptionally well for the battle. Even though I'd rather see godzilla battle more the simien or reptillian type monster, this insect is def a worthy foe, being the fastest kaiju to face the King of the Monsters and one of the only ones to use his own heat ray power against him (let alone take it away for most of the battle). And that aspect is what I like about this, its more a tooth/claw battle than a stupid beam war.

Even though its not my preferred G-film, the final battle more than makes up for its bad/boring elements.
"ooooo GODZILLA is "roasting" KING KONG.!!!!"
rockstarbd82
Godzilla Jr.

Postby The Real McCoy » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:57 am

This one I've kind of warmed up to. I still don't like it very much, and I don't think it's on-par with the Kiryu films, but I don't outright hate it as much as I used to. But the human story just bores me to tears. Misato Tanaka's "Godzilla took everything away from me; I will stop at nothing to exact revenge" was just annoying to me. The "Boo-hoo, I'm the only one that lost everything" type character just annoys me anyway, and her performance in that regard was over-the-top. Shosuke Tanahara's character was another that got on my nerves, though not as bad as Tanaka's character. Other than that, I can stomach the other roles, but it's still boring to me.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:10 pm

The Real McCoy wrote:This one I've kind of warmed up to. I still don't like it very much, and I don't think it's on-par with the Kiryu films, but I don't outright hate it as much as I used to. But the human story just bores me to tears. Misato Tanaka's "Godzilla took everything away from me; I will stop at nothing to exact revenge" was just annoying to me. The "Boo-hoo, I'm the only one that lost everything" type character just annoys me anyway, and her performance in that regard was over-the-top. Shosuke Tanahara's character was another that got on my nerves, though not as bad as Tanaka's character. Other than that, I can stomach the other roles, but it's still boring to me.

I don't understand how people could not like the story line of this one, and then trumpet the story line of GxMG as great. Isn't GxMG essentially a remake of GxM?

I hate the cliched story line of female military officer seeking revenge for the death of her father like figure/ superior officer.

The women in these movies are bland, emotionless and annoying. I didn't like any of them.

But I guess at least GxMG has Kiryu and some decent effects. 8-)
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:40 pm

Well, Kiryu is what lets GxMG edge out GXMegaguirus for me. They're both practically the same movie, though.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:10 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:I don't understand how people could not like the story line of this one, and then trumpet the story line of GxMG as great. Isn't GxMG essentially a remake of GxM?

I hate the cliched story line of female military officer seeking revenge for the death of her father like figure/ superior officer.

The women in these movies are bland, emotionless and annoying. I didn't like any of them.

I never said the story line for GXMG was a winner either. I just said I liked the Kiryu films. Both of the actresses, I felt, were pretty cardboard; but for some reason Tsujimori in GXM just rubbed me the wrong way. I don't have a huge, well-thought-out reason behind it, it just didn't interest me as much as MG.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:13 pm

I prefer the MG movies by a land slide as well. But I like SoS more, it does away with the angry woman cliche and actually does something slighly inventive in making the protagonist a maintenance guy instead of a pilot of a scientist. I used to work on military aircraft so I really felt for the guy who has to work on Kiryu, but never gets to pilot it himself.
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:24 pm

I guess I should have elaborated my point a little further. Sorry for the confusion.

But yeah, that was my biggest gripe about the movie really. I just couldn't suspend disbelief enough to not be annoyed by the "boo-hoo, I'm the only one who lost anything, so I'm going to be pissy while feeling sorry for myself" story. Tie that in with the (also cliched) hard-nosed military officer, and I was ready to either pull my hair out or throw my TV out the window, but I didn't feel like doing that much work.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:33 am

I put this in earlier this evening and right before I said to myself "I'm gonna try to like you."

I FAILED. OH WELLZ.

This movie is just so bleah. It's like somebody who was a really HUGE Godzilla fanboy and also REALLY loved certain anime cliches decided to write a Godzilla film. Effects wise it doesn't really do anything better than Godzilla 2000. A lot of the movie's effects strike me as being only slightly better than the Heisei series.

Megaguirus is a cool call back turned into a totally new kaiju, but the execution sucks so badly. (Yet another thing that makes this film seem so much more inferior to the Heisei series)

Another thing is that it tries to do TOO much that has been done elsewhere. HUMANS ON FOOT ATTACK GODZILLA (Godzilla vs. Biollante did this at least on par if not entirely better). I WANT REVENGE CUZ GODZILLA KILLED MAH FRAND (Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla did this better too in my opinion.) The Megaguirus swarm attack is a sad attempt at doing the Legion swarm scene from Gamera 2. It's just so pathetically sad. In the same way the Heisei series' obvious rip offs of American films come off as sad.

There's just nothing to like about this film. Even other movies that get derision (Megalon and SpaceGodzilla, for example) are still SO MUCH BETTER to watch.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Rodanex » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:24 am

The whole idea of humans attacking Godzilla on foot, using rocket launchers always hurt my head. I mean...if they've been dealing with Godzilla off and on since the '50s, you'd think they would have figured out that such a tactic wouldn't be very effective.
Rodanex
Godzilla

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:29 am

Rodanex wrote:The whole idea of humans attacking Godzilla on foot, using rocket launchers always hurt my head. I mean...if they've been dealing with Godzilla off and on since the '50s, you'd think they would have figured out that such a tactic wouldn't be very effective.

This is one of the things that really didn't sit well with me at all. If whole armies were unable to take on Godzilla and do the job, then how can humans attacking Godzilla on foot with rocket laucnhers could do any better.
I got no problem with anybody who jumps into a Starfury and rides fire! (Babylon 5)
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:36 am

Andrew Nguyen wrote:
Rodanex wrote:The whole idea of humans attacking Godzilla on foot, using rocket launchers always hurt my head. I mean...if they've been dealing with Godzilla off and on since the '50s, you'd think they would have figured out that such a tactic wouldn't be very effective.

This is one of the things that really didn't sit well with me at all. If whole armies were unable to take on Godzilla and do the job, then how can humans attacking Godzilla on foot with rocket laucnhers could do any better.

Do better? WE JUST THOUGHT IT WAS COOL.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:40 am

It almost seemed like a set-up for somebody's friend to get killed (which did happen) so revenge would be their motivation (which it was). After a few viewings, it seemed way too convenient.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:11 pm

This movie is pretty cool, and I liked the idea of the Dimensional Tide thing.

The kid bringing home the egg is probably what would really happen, I wonder if he thought it would be something cool like a dinosaur...

I always kind of wondered if that tower seen in this movie is real or not, tried looking it up but no dice. It looked like a more UFO looking Space Needle, and can be seen quite often when Godzilla is stomping around the harbor.

Megagurius is pretty cool looking, but seemed pretty weak.
It was cool to see the Meganulon from Rodan again.

Of course the movie ends on a "to be continued?" vibe, since they are not sure that Godzilla was really got by the black hole.
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:13 am

EricDent wrote:I always kind of wondered if that tower seen in this movie is real or not, tried looking it up but no dice. It looked like a more UFO looking Space Needle, and can be seen quite often when Godzilla is stomping around the harbor.

This is where the final battle took place: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odaiba
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Thanks for the link, it's not a real place, darn!
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:47 pm

I just watched this movie and it is a vast improvement over 2000. Megaguirus was a pretty cool new addition to the Kaiju family (or is he just an update to those found in Rodan...), and the battle scenes with Godzilla are great. To top it off, the soundtrack to this movie is amazing. The new theme for Godzilla gets stuck in your head for hours and the battle music was well done. I can really get into the battle between the two monsters unlike 2000's battle. On the other hand, the characters are crap, and it is weird seeing the actor for Kudo in a movie without a dead fiancee. :D The story itself is average, the whole energy bit is meh, and the portions with the kid are pointless, but as with most of the movies, it is the monsters that matter and that is where this movie shines. It isn't a movie I can watch every day like I can with GMK or Biollante, but it is definitely a good one. Oh, and I think the final scene ended too abrupty, despite the scene after the credits.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:20 pm

As sloppy and bad as G2k can be...Megaguirus is an incredible step down. I think the monster fights are actually pretty fun, but the rest of the film is so unpleasant that I can't see this as a VAST improvement. Of course, it seems from your "but as with most of the movies, it is the monsters that matter and that is where this movie shines" that the monster fights are how you judge these films. If that's the case..then yeah I guess I see it, but that's only if you don't take into account ANYTHING else.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:06 am

Dr Kain wrote:I just watched this movie and it is a vast improvement over 2000.
i'd like to ammend my statement from the G2K thread...i don't think exasperated covers it anymore...
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

PreviousNext

Return to The Millennium Era: 1999-2005