WTF were they smoking when they subtitled GMK?

Discuss the millennium era of Godzilla films! From Godzilla 2000 Millennium to Godzilla Final Wars, these films comprised a wide variety of styles and topics!

Moderator: Controllers

WTF were they smoking when they subtitled GMK?

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:30 pm

All this time, I had the Region 2 version where the subtitles are still pretty good. I figured I wasn't missing anything seeing as how I already have the movie, so I never bought the American release. I saw it on discount today, and figured what the hell and bought it.

I came back and skipped to the underwater battle because I wondered if this version was slightly brighter. You know the scene where they fire the missile and accidentally hit Ghidorah? WTF!?

Great!

Excellent!

WTF!?

It's like translating "hello" into ""OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" you." You can't seriously tell me there's some cultural gap that prevents us from understanding what they're saying, so they closed their eyes and just came up with whatever the hell they wanted. It was two lines both consisting of maybe 1 or 2 words max!

What were they thinking?
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Jim Ballard » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:07 pm

I haven't watched them in a while, but if I recall the subtitles on several of the Sony releases were based on the English dub track rather than the actual Japanese dialogue.
Jim Ballard
Monster 01

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:17 pm

Jim Ballard wrote:I haven't watched them in a while, but if I recall the subtitles on several of the Sony releases were based on the English dub track rather than the actual Japanese dialogue.

That is pretty much correct Mr. Ballard.
I got no problem with anybody who jumps into a Starfury and rides fire! (Babylon 5)
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby KaiserGhidorah » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:47 pm

Let's not forget to include these wonderfully reconstructed quotes courtesy of Toho's international dept.

"That lizard picked on the wrong guy." which was originally, "It'll turn to ashes quickly."

"Good luck everybody.... you're all going to die." which was originally, "He wants to wish you all best of luck."

"I want it straight from the lizard's mouth!" which was originally, "Give me the real thing."

The second reconstructed quote many find distasteful but I can't help but laugh everytime I read it.
KaiserGhidorah
Godzilla

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:46 pm

Was it opposite day when they translated that. I mean, it's not like we're talking about cultural gaps where some phases makes no sense. These are essentially everyday words.

Was it Toho who translated it instead the dubbing?
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla

Re: WTF were they smoking when they subtitled GMK?

Postby MrShape666 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:50 pm

TerranigmaFreak wrote:All this time, I had the Region 2 version where the subtitles are still pretty good. I figured I wasn't missing anything seeing as how I already have the movie, so I never bought the American release. I saw it on discount today, and figured what the hell and bought it.

I came back and skipped to the underwater battle because I wondered if this version was slightly brighter. You know the scene where they fire the missile and accidentally hit Ghidorah? WTF!?

Great!

Excellent!

WTF!?

It's like translating "hello" into "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE you." You can't seriously tell me there's some cultural gap that prevents us from understanding what they're saying, so they closed their eyes and just came up with whatever the hell they wanted. It was two lines both consisting of maybe 1 or 2 words max!

What were they thinking?

I noticed this too, and I'm absolutely sure one of those was a curse word, not 'excellent'.
This is THE SHAPE speaking.
MrShape666
Little Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:45 am

GMK has possibly the worst English dub of any Godzilla film. Quite a feat.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby ryuuseipro » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:30 am

Benjamin Haines wrote:GMK has possibly the worst English dub of any Godzilla film. Quite a feat.

And both Toho (to whom Shuusuke Kaneko seemed to be kryptonite) and Omni Productions in HK handled it in the most slapdash way possible.

Even the HK subtitles have a few mistakes, but still better than the international dub. (Norman England has the better subtitle script.)
-John Cassidy
Richmond, VA
http://ryuuseipro.livejournal.com/

"The monster a child knows best and is most concerned with [is] the monster he feels or fears himself to be." -Bruno Bettelheim
ryuuseipro
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Goji 84 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:17 pm

It's really quite a shame the R1 disk ended up with "dubtitles" (MEGAGUIRUS suffers from the same problem, but the difference is that nobody cares :lol:). It's nice that the Kiryu films didn't suffer from the same problem (minus changing Kiryu's name to Mechagodzilla, which I've been told from kpa is the same in the subbed prints from Toho). GODZILLA X MECHAGODZILLA probably has the best subs out of any of the Sony-released Godzilla films on DVD.
Goji 84
Godzilla

Postby william newell » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:13 pm

Personaly, I'd love to see this movie get the Criterion treatment...probably not gonna happen, but hey, a man can dream, right?
william newell
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Joseph Goodman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:21 pm

I seem to recall Mike Schlesinger stating that the original plan for these discs was to release them dubbed-only, which might explain why there are only captions for the English dialogue, not true subtitles.
Joseph Goodman
Godzilla

Postby Goji 84 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:57 pm

Joseph Goodman wrote:I seem to recall Mike Schlesinger stating that the original plan for these discs was to release them dubbed-only, which might explain why there are only captions for the English dialogue, not true subtitles.

Wow, seriously? They didn't get enough complaints after those god awful Heisei releases? I cannot believe they considered doing that again..that's ridiculous.
Goji 84
Godzilla

Postby planetxleader » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Goji 84 wrote: It's nice that the Kiryu films didn't suffer from the same problem (minus changing Kiryu's name to Mechagodzilla, which I've been told from kpa is the same in the subbed prints from Toho). GODZILLA X MECHAGODZILLA probably has the best subs out of any of the Sony-released Godzilla films on DVD.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Tokyo SOS was a dubtitle track as well. It not, then the script is incredibly inane. For example, "Then why are there still two fairies left?" Huh? I remember when you, James, had a subtitle track up on TokyoMonsters.com, and everything made so much more sense after re-watching it. For instance, I never understood that the "Too slow, boy" line and Kiryu getting tripped had anything to do with what Chujo warned (that Kiryu's response time would be slow.)

Same type of stuff goes for GMK. Freakin' travesty to have it get the usual treatment. Really waters it down. GxMG was truly the best R1, hands-down.
"Vishnu takes on his multi-armed form, and says, "RAAAAAHHHOOO!!!'"
planetxleader
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:33 pm

Sony's Tokyo SOS DVD definitely has dubtitles. The voice actors in the dub actually say "MechaG" out loud, a lot, though I remember there being one line that differed from the subtitle script. When Kiryu is down and Chujo is inspecting him, the line "The communication cables and the primary control circuits are burnt out" had the last part altered to "appear to be U.S." in the dub.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Goji 84 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:09 pm

Right. I'm simply going by what kpa mentioned elsewhere, which is that Toho's subtitled print of TOKYO SOS has subs that are identical to the ones on the R1 DVD (Same case with GODZILLA X MECHAGODZILLA). The problem with the SOS subs is that "Mechagodzilla" replaces the word "Kiryu".
Goji 84
Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:45 pm

Goji 84 wrote:Right. I'm simply going by what kpa mentioned elsewhere, which is that Toho's subtitled print of TOKYO SOS has subs that are identical to the ones on the R1 DVD (Same case with GODZILLA X MECHAGODZILLA). The problem with the SOS subs is that "Mechagodzilla" replaces the word "Kiryu".

They're dubtitles. There are lines in the subtitles that correspond with lines that appear only in the dub and not the Japanese track.
[DaiKamonohashi - Kiryugoji04 - Kaiju Hipster - Jared P. Foust]
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Goji 84 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:21 pm

*shrugs*. Don't look at me, I'm simply the messenger here. I always thought they were "dubtitles" as well. Keith has actually seen the subtitled print on several occasions, so I figured he knew what he was talking about. It's possibly the subs are "hybrid" subs, that some of Sony's other Godzilla titles have.
Goji 84
Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:08 am

Goji 84 wrote:*shrugs*. Don't look at me, I'm simply the messenger here. I always thought they were "dubtitles" as well. Keith has actually seen the subtitled print on several occasions, so I figured he knew what he was talking about. It's possibly the subs are "hybrid" subs, that some of Sony's other Godzilla titles have.

It's simple: Toho's English-subtitled theatrical prints of Godzilla x Mechagodzilla feature a direct translation of the Japanese dialogue, while their Tokyo SOS film prints use the international English dub script for the subtitles. In both cases, Sony took the subtitle scripts that Toho had available and used them for their DVDs.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Goji 84 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:39 pm

That must be it. TOKYO SOS isn't a film I revisit with any kind of regularity, so I was simply going by what I had heard.
Goji 84
Godzilla

Postby emeGoji » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:17 pm

Does anybody have corrected subtitles for the R1 DVD? The dubtitles are borderline offensive in their inaccuracy.
gmk0taku takuGuy Jack B revenge of gmk0taku
emeGoji
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kpa » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:14 am

Benjamin Haines wrote:
Goji 84 wrote:*shrugs*. Don't look at me, I'm simply the messenger here. I always thought they were "dubtitles" as well. Keith has actually seen the subtitled print on several occasions, so I figured he knew what he was talking about. It's possibly the subs are "hybrid" subs, that some of Sony's other Godzilla titles have.

It's simple: Toho's English-subtitled theatrical prints of Godzilla x Mechagodzilla feature a direct translation of the Japanese dialogue, while their Tokyo SOS film prints use the international English dub script for the subtitles. In both cases, Sony took the subtitle scripts that Toho had available and used them for their DVDs.

What Goji 84 is talking about is that Toho's subtitled 35mm print of TOKYO SOS has a translation similar (maybe identical) to the international dubbed version and the subs on the Sony DVD... "MechaG" and all. This print was used for the film's premiere at the Tokyo International Film Festival, so it existed even before TOKYO SOS had opened theatrically in Japan, and well before the dub was produced. I first saw the subbed print when Toho screened the movie at AFM in March, 2004, and again later that summer at the Egyptian Theatre.

So to be 100% accurate, the Sony subtitles aren't dubtitles, but rather both the English dubbing and Sony's subs are based off Toho's iniitial subtitling script. I have no idea what term would best describe that... it's probably easiest to just call them dubtitles, even if that's not exactly what they are.
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby goji4ever » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:08 am

I just want a blu ray release with good subtitles..

hopefully the new movie encourages some quality releases soon.
goji4ever
Little Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:25 pm

I like the "you're all goinf to die" line better...but thats about it
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:27 pm

kpa wrote:
What Goji 84 is talking about is that Toho's subtitled 35mm print of TOKYO SOS has a translation similar (maybe identical) to the international dubbed version and the subs on the Sony DVD... "MechaG" and all. This print was used for the film's premiere at the Tokyo International Film Festival, so it existed even before TOKYO SOS had opened theatrically in Japan, and well before the dub was produced. I first saw the subbed print when Toho screened the movie at AFM in March, 2004, and again later that summer at the Egyptian Theatre.

So to be 100% accurate, the Sony subtitles aren't dubtitles, but rather both the English dubbing and Sony's subs are based off Toho's iniitial subtitling script. I have no idea what term would best describe that... it's probably easiest to just call them dubtitles, even if that's not exactly what they are.

Wow, I've always known that they weren't straight dubtitles just by turning on the dub and subs and comparing, and now I know the whole (or at least more of) the story.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Re: WTF were they smoking when they subtitled GMK?

Postby Arislan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:54 pm

I just rewatched it yesterday. Too many liberties with the subs. :-/

"Huh?" becomes "Great!" and "Damn it! (chikuso)" becomes "Excellent!" when the missiles HIT GHIDORAH INSTEAD OF GODZILLA which was what they were trying hard to avoid.

The movie is still enjoyable but those subs need to go.
Arislan
Baby Godzilla

Next

Return to The Millennium Era: 1999-2005