Best millennium Goji Suit.

Discuss the millennium era of Godzilla films! From Godzilla 2000 Millennium to Godzilla Final Wars, these films comprised a wide variety of styles and topics!

Moderator: Controllers

BEST MILLENNIUM GOJI

Poll ended at Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:21 pm

2000/ X Megaguirus
20%
GMK
32%
X Mechagodzilla/ SOS
27%
Final Wars
20%

Total votes : 44

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:53 am

TerranigmaFreak wrote:I have to say not a single suit from the 2K series is 100% satisfying for me. Too many problems across the board.

Agree completely...the millenium suits are a mixed bag (as are the films themselves). I would say my favorite was GFW Goji...very nice blending of showa, heisei, and millenium features. The GMK suit looks great from certain angles, but it's pot belly, poorly designed feet, and silly pupiless eyes hold it back. The worst were by far the Kiryu-Goji Gonzo-snout suits....some of the worst suits of entire series imo, not just the millenium series....
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:19 pm

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:
TerranigmaFreak wrote:I have to say not a single suit from the 2K series is 100% satisfying for me. Too many problems across the board.

Agree completely...the millenium suits are a mixed bag (as are the films themselves). I would say my favorite was GFW Goji...very nice blending of showa, heisei, and millenium features. The GMK suit looks great from certain angles, but it's pot belly, poorly designed feet, and silly pupiless eyes hold it back. The worst were by far the Kiryu-Goji Gonzo-snout suits....some of the worst suits of entire series imo, not just the millenium series....

I agree as well...the GFW suit is the best, but heavily flawed (the movie itself is crap though, listen to the BEST Movie EVER!! Podcast episode dealing with Final Wars if you want my exact opinion on the film itself)

As a whole...I think the Millinium series is dreck...at least the Hesei series has a dumb, Showa Gamera like sense of fun to it at times...the Millenium series is like drinking a warm glass of milk before bed time, instant snooze fest.

The only 2 designs I like from the Millenium series at all are the SOS Mothra and the GFW Anguirus. Both of which are my favorite designs of those particular characters.
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Kaiju Nexus » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:41 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:...at least the Hesei series has a dumb, Showa Gamera like sense of fun to it at times...

I've never heard the Heisei Godzilla series compared to showa Gamera...

ever.

lol

"Because, if we didn't debate over silly nonsense, we wouldn't be fans. :) "

- pocketmego
Kaiju Nexus
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:50 pm

Kaiju Nexus wrote:
king_ghidorah wrote:...at least the Hesei series has a dumb, Showa Gamera like sense of fun to it at times...

ever.

lol
yeah, i'm not really pickin up with kg is puttin' down there...i find the Heisei Godzilla series about as fun as a wet fart.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:53 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
Kaiju Nexus wrote:

ever.

lol
yeah, i'm not really pickin up with kg is puttin' down there...i find the Heisei Godzilla series about as fun as a wet fart.

finger lickin good i say

And let me cut the Millenium series some slack...

Gonzo-zilla...the overall design is actually really good...look at the X-Plus figure if you want to catch a glimpse of this suit looking good...it's just a shame that the suit material seems too thick to be of any use to the suit actor inside...Kiryu is more mobile and lively then the Big G...and yes, the head looks odd at times too...with some polish and better execution this suit could have been amazing.

Pot-Belly Zilla...again, great concept...so-so execution

And the plots and human stories of the Millenium series movies are all decidely better (I'm not saying more enjoyable though because that is subjective) than the Hesei...but the series as a whole faulters because of a lot of the same things that the Hesei series suffers from. I don't understand what gives the Millenium series a pass in a lot of your eyes..

GxMg is essentially a remake of GxM...and neither are all that good or have characters worth caring about. GxMGxM SOS is ok, but the editing is pretty choppy, and the film seems cheap...there's one shot of a jeep swerving around city destruction that looks horrible like someone seriously threw some trash in the street.

GFW...nothing can save this film...
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:21 am

I think the Showa Gamera / Heisei Godzilla comparison is apt. Both series started out with a few films that had unique approaches to storytelling from each other and threw in a lot of wild and crazy ideas, then they gradually settled into a formula and eventually cranked out some pretty bad entries by series end. Plus, they were both ultimately the inferior series in their respective eras (Showa Godzilla > Showa Gamera, Heisei Gamera > Heisei Godzilla), so that's another parallel.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:38 am

Benjamin Haines wrote:I think the Showa Gamera / Heisei Godzilla comparison is apt. Both series started out with a few films that had unique approaches to storytelling from each other and threw in a lot of wild and crazy ideas, then they gradually settled into a formula and eventually cranked out some pretty bad entries by series end. Plus, they were both ultimately the inferior series in their respective eras (Showa Godzilla > Showa Gamera, Heisei Gamera > Heisei Godzilla), so that's another parallel.

Thanks Ben, and that's exactly the point I was trying to make. Well...and that both the Showa Gamera and Hesei Godzilla films are better enjoyed if you just shut off your mind and go with it. Case in point...the Rebirth of Mothra movies...pretty bad movies by any standard...but how on earth can anyone claim to be a Showa Gamera fan and not see that the Mothra trilogy is simply a 90's version of those films. I think nostalgia has a lot to do with it and I guarantee that fans in their early 20's and 30's feel the same way about the Hesei era that a lot of people do about the Showa era.

For me personally, I know that the Showa series is the better series but I enjoy the Hesei series more...just like I enjoy the Showa Gamera series more than I do the Hesei Gamera even though the Hesei are the better movies by far.

And for me, all 4 of these series are better than the Millenium Godzilla series which seems content just to exist. It's just kind of there...luke warm....they try to be the anti-hesei series a lot of the time but just seem unoriginal, tired and lackluster in comparison.
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:13 pm

What I've seen of Showa Gamera has been pretty fun. Heisei Godzilla just puts me to sleeeeeeeeeeepppzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:12 am

I do have a question...as anyone could have noticed...there have been a crap ton of 2003 Godzilla figures over the last few years. Is this design a particular fan favorite in Japan or something?
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:53 am

king_ghidorah wrote:I do have a question...as anyone could have noticed...there have been a crap ton of 2003 Godzilla figures over the last few years. Is this design a particular fan favorite in Japan or something?

Well, it's a retool of the original millennium goji suit, and Toho does love that design. A lot of people do, to the point that its silhouette represented the 50th anniversary logo. As for the crap ton of figures, weren't most of those exclusives that came out? I mean, I'm aware that the Bandai figures has a bazillion exclusive variants, but other than that...
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:14 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:
king_ghidorah wrote:I do have a question...as anyone could have noticed...there have been a crap ton of 2003 Godzilla figures over the last few years. Is this design a particular fan favorite in Japan or something?

Well, it's a retool of the original millennium goji suit, and Toho does love that design. A lot of people do, to the point that its silhouette represented the 50th anniversary logo. As for the crap ton of figures, weren't most of those exclusives that came out? I mean, I'm aware that the Bandai figures has a bazillion exclusive variants, but other than that...

Banpresto, HG figures, DX, X-Plus, Marmit, a few statues...as well as all of the mentioned variants...just seems that unlike the G2K design, and the GFW design...that the G2003 keeps popping up on a relatively steady frequency
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:25 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:
Banpresto, HG figures, DX

Which were all done when the movies were new, the same as every other Godzilla. My guess is the 02/03 Godzilla stuff was in a bit more abundance because of Mechagodzilla's popularity with robot collectors. So it's no shock that with a bunch of Mechagodzillas we got a bunch of Godzillas as well.

X-Plus

But we also got '55, '62, '64, '68, '71, '73, '84, '89 and GMK versions of Godzilla from X-Plus, so the fact that they did a '02/'03 version doesn't really say much.

Marmit

Marmit did every major Godzilla suit in the Monster Heaven line.

as well as all of the mentioned variants

I think GxMG and SOS got a huge merchandise push not because of the popularity of that Godzilla suit (how would Bandai have known in 2002 that it was going to be popular while making the toyd if the movie wasn't released yet?) but because of how popular Mechagodzilla is among robot nuts.

...just seems that unlike the G2K design, and the GFW design...that the G2003 keeps popping up on a relatively steady frequency

It does? Not really seeing it. Bandai didn't even shrink it down to 6" and include it in the 2005 Memorial Box or the later '05 releases.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:21 pm

I think maybe the ridiculous amounts of bootlegs of the 02/03 suit that seem to be ever present on ebay contribute to the idea that that one's more prevelent....maybe....
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Previous

Return to The Millennium Era: 1999-2005