Worst Millenium Kaiju?

Discuss the millennium era of Godzilla films! From Godzilla 2000 Millennium to Godzilla Final Wars, these films comprised a wide variety of styles and topics!

Moderator: Controllers

Who isn't up to snuff?

Orga
16%
Megaguirus
25%
GMK Baragon
4%
GMK Mothra
1%
GMK Ghidorah
16%
Kiryu
6%
SOS Mothra
3%
Monster X
7%
Kaiser Ghidorah
24%

Total votes : 109

Postby Brick Side » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:53 pm

Gkiller wrote:
Brick Side wrote:Can't believe people are voting for Megaguirus... I know it's another insect but it put up a better fight against Godzilla than Mothra or Battra (in final form) ever did (well the Mothra/Godzilla fight in Tokyo SOS is debatable to that). Obviously very intelligent too and perhaps the only monster to have an army under its control. Dangerous and brutal and didn't rely on beams to put up a great fight

How do you figure Megaguirus put up a better fight then Battra? Megs did little more then duck and dodge Godzilla most of the time, not to mention he was a one hit wonder. One blast from Godzilla, and he was finished. Battra on the other hand took several hits, and two point blank hits, while having his neck chomped on for several minutes before finally dying. Megs was nothing more then an annoying mosquito in comparison.

Exactly. Battra got pummled while Megaguiras played it smart and kept dodging in and out with a consistent attack including some mind games here and there. Battra rammed a ferris wheel into Godzilla and shot lasers at him from what I remember. My basic argument here is that Battra, while having some good heart and tough skin, played it safe with Godzilla while Megaguiras basically had the upper-hand the entire time until it was trying to recover from its stinger being bitten off. Basically im saying exactly what you did but obviously I feel Megaguiras fared better than Battra but it's hard to debate given the times from when they are. Battra obviously comes from the hesei era where we saw basically 80% beam battles while Megaguiras was part of an era where the physicallity of the fights was definitely more atune to the Showa films. I dunno thats all I got I spose :?
Brick Side
Burning Godzilla

Postby Gothic_Blue » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:43 pm

I voted for Megaguirus simply because the Godzilla from GMK wasnt up for voting. That was the worst suit (imo) of the whole Godzilla series.
Stop by and check this guy's songs out. I helped with the lyrics. www.garageband.com/artist/jesperrocks. Feel free to download the songs and pass them around.
Gothic_Blue
Baby Godzilla

Postby JordanGLC » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:40 am

C'mon people, it's gotta be Kamoebas! He just layed there. What a lazy turtle.

:wink:
Let those who worship evil's might, beware my power...

My Creature Features
JordanGLC
Godzilla

Postby Gfan54 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:16 pm

JordanGLC wrote:C'mon people, it's gotta be Kamoebas! He just layed there. What a lazy turtle.

:wink:

I agree, while the nod to "Yog" was a really nice touch, I would've enjoyed getting to see the kaiju in action...the battle between it and Godzilla would've been a very nice added touch to what was already a good G movie!
Gfan54
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:53 pm

I'd have to agree and say Kamemba was the worst, but from the choices on the quiz....I was most disappointed with Kaiser Ghidorah. The suit is actually fine, and when he first appeared I was totally into it. But then, he started to moove and I was kind of "meh". Oh well.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby buddah11674 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:41 am

I'm going to have to say Megaguirus. The kaiju had a great design but it was so poorly executed. Honestly, I was really dissappointed with that entire film - especially the "surprise" at the end. But the way Megaguirus moved and behaved just didn't sit well with me.
Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart Image
buddah11674
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Gfan54 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:18 pm

buddah11674 wrote:I'm going to have to say Megaguirus. The kaiju had a great design but it was so poorly executed. Honestly, I was really dissappointed with that entire film - especially the "surprise" at the end. But the way Megaguirus moved and behaved just didn't sit well with me.

Overall, I thought the movie was OK at best (and that's really not saying a whole lot), but the only 2 scenes that really did anything for me were the fight between Godzilla and the swarm of meganula (or meganulon, whatever the plural form of the word is) on the island, and (to a lesser degree) the end fight between Megaguirus and Godzilla. It's been awhile since I've watched it, but I also don't remember liking any of the human characters all that well at all, and the FX work wasn't all that great...it's already been stated just stiff the Megaguirus prop seemed to be and the model work seen underwater during the flooding of the city looked pretty phony, too. Overall, ** out of 4 *s...and that's a pretty shaky 2 *s at that.
Gfan54
Heisei Godzilla

Postby redkiryuranger » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:09 pm

orga is worst monster in millenium
redkiryuranger
redkiryuranger
Baby Godzilla

Postby BrianBuck » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:29 pm

GMK Ghidorah was the worst for me. Ghidorah should be awe inspiring and frightening. In GMK, Ghidorah was nothing of the sort, a total letdown.
"Does Dirk Richters' ghost haunt the bordello where his bullet-riddled body was found?-Bart Simpson
"No child ever meddled with the Republican party and lived to tell about it."-Sideshow Bob
BrianBuck
Little Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:06 am

BrianBuck wrote:GMK Ghidorah was the worst for me. Ghidorah should be awe inspiring and frightening. In GMK, Ghidorah was nothing of the sort, a total letdown.

Did GMK Ghidorah remind anyone else of a pet? Specifically a puppy???
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Bijou » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:25 pm

Kaiser Ghidorah. Pretty much sucks like the GMK incarnation. Of course, that's my own opinion.
Bijou

Postby gojira_fan » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:43 pm

Kaiser Ghidorah and Orga.
gojira_fan
Godzilla

Postby GhostMachine » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:19 am

Orga, but mainly for the monster's stupidity more than the monster's design.
GhostMachine
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Giganfan » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:11 am

Brick Side wrote:
Xenorama wrote:the second Monster X (what with the first being Jiger and all) is way cooler than chicken-ghidorah.

David

I dont remember seeing anything on a design previous to the one that was in the movie. Anyone have a pic???

David is just being anal about the fact that Monster X was originally the name of Jiger in AIP's version of Gamera vs. Jiger. Come to think of it, I would be too! Can't Tomiyama and co. think up any more cool names for kaiju these days? It seems, their choices lately have been as poor as the monsters, themselves. Which brings me to this poll. The GMK kaiju are fine, even though Ghidorah is ridiculously poor (come to think of it, Rodan should have taken his spot in that film), and Mothra looks like a plastic wasp. Kiryu, SOS Mothra and Kaneko's Baragon are the only three kaiju of the Millennium series, that I actually like. Kiryu was a wholly original design and character (atleast for the series), Mothra hadn't looked this good since the days of old Showa and Baragon finally got his second chance to shine. Orga was pretty cool, but I think the design was a bit too ambitious for a suitmation monster. Those oversized arms would have looked pretty mean had he been all cgi. Kaizer Ghidorah and "Monster X" both suck, in my opinion, as does Megaguirus. Despite the fact that I enjoyed both Godzilla X Megaguirus and Godzilla Final Wars, I just thought those were three of the most uninspired creations in Toho's stable. Come to think of it, I cast my vote so long ago, I can't even remember which one I voted for! :lol: All three of them are equally bad, so I guess it really doesn't matter (to me, anyway).
"EVERYONE FORGET YOUR TROUBLES! ENJOY YOURSELVES!THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!" - Gigantis The Fire Monster

"It was HUGE...It was...IT WAS LIKE A MONSTER!!! Suddenly the rocks rose...ALIVE!" - Godzilla 1985
Giganfan

Postby DannyBeane » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:46 pm

Megaguirus, great concept. Horrible execution.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:40 pm

ALLOSAURZ wrote:Megaguirus, great concept. Horrible execution.

yeah, it ends up looking like a crappy Battra, which doesn't say much AT ALL for it...
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby gojira138 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:50 pm

well i voted Kaiser Ghidorah. i mean c'mon they take the most popular enemy Godzilla ever faught and made him a 3 headed dog. a very poorly designed adaption of KG.....should have used Grand Ghidorah from Mothra 3. Monster X should have been left as Monster X that would have been better than Kaiser Ghidorah IMO. Kaiser Ghidorah was a drag...bada bing bada boom.

Im glad i dont see any votes up their for GMK Mothra yet...that was and is the best Mothra i have seen in my humble opinion. and that is that.
Buy Vinyl, Fresh Vinyl!
www.freshvinylhq.com
gojira138
Godzilla Jr.

Postby redkiryuranger » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:23 pm

monster x is wost monster
redkiryuranger
redkiryuranger
Baby Godzilla

Postby GP Webmaster » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:24 pm

I vote that Megaguirus is the worst, of course we all know. Megaguirus is kind of a spin-off of Battra, but I know that Toho wanted something different for the film. The supersonic wing technique is alright, however, they can also use that ability for Mothra, or similar to Mothra's hurricane wind ability but with supersonic.
GP Webmaster
Godzillasaurus

Postby Irish Gfan » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:46 am

I gave my vote for Megagurias.

I know I might be in a minority, but I actually liked Orga. He had a very cool knock down, drag out fight with Godzilla in G2K, which I feel is a much better film than it gets credit. The whole plot of his creation with the mysterious UFO and all that was kind of cool too. Also, I think the design is an obvious combination of the Tri-Star Godzilla (GINO sucks!) and Gamera and that got a chuckle out of me, especially when I saw the American Dub and I heard Shinoda say "It's trying to become a Godzilla clone!" Ha ha.

GMK Baragon was awesome. He almost stole the show despite being defeated about half way through the film. They did a great job with him.

GMK Mothra: Well I'm not exactly the biggest fan of Mothra. I did really like the sleeker design here though. I think the aspect of the Guardian Monsters actually matched Mothra very well as Mothra has always had a mystical background and has always been portrayed as a guardian.

GMK Ghidorah: When this film came out and I read about it, I knew that having Ghidorah as the good guy was going to spark controversy. I think most of us will agree that Varan, Baragon, and Angilas (the original three that Kaneko intended) would have been better selections given the plot of the movie (although I personally would have preferred Rodan instead of Varan, but whatever) but Toho was 100% in the right by making the change, as that did make the film more marketable and the numbers speak for themselves in that case. I too had a hard time dealing with Ghidorah as the good guy, especially after he was so well constructed as the final villain for the Mothra Trilogy, but I took the pill and swallowed it and I really like some of the stuff they did with him. For example, I liked that he kept evolving throughout the battle as that made the battle grow bigger and bigger. I also really liked that they gave him a roar similar to the one he had in the 60s. There is also one shot in that film that I just love. There is a shot where Ghidorah first spreads his wings and flies up into the sky. He glows bright gold, and then you see Godzilla's back and he glows blue getting ready to fire his nuclear blast. And of course the shot was at night. That shot is IMO one of the best visuals in the series, and that one shot made me glad that they put Ghidorah in this movie.

One could also argue that with Godzilla being the bad guy, that Ghidroah has to be the good guy. The two can never be on the same side (with that brief period in Godzilla vs. Monster Zero where they were all under alien control, and even that didn't last long) and a similar situation happened in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah 1991. Ghidroah was bad, and Godzilla fought and killed him. Then Godzilla went bad, and Mecha King Ghidorah had to save the world. His role in GMK is still heavily controversial, but not something that I am totally against given the execution.

Kiryu - Excellent redesign of Mechagodzilla, with some pretty nifty weapons too. Combine that with the fact that it is basically infested with Godzilla's ghost, and you got yourself a pretty interesting monster.

SOS Mothra - Basically the same as the Mothra from the 60s, only with much better SPX. Like I said I'm not a big fan of Mothra, but she was realized very well in this film.

Monster X - I actually really liked Monster X. The major thing the director wanted to do with this film was to stand out and be different from the rest of the Godzilla movies. That much was obvious, and Monster X was a very different and unique monster. It looked like Godzilla was fighting a ninja, and I have to admit I kind of liked it. I also really liked the shots they did with Godzilla and X staring at each other in a crater in the middle of Tokyo. It had an old western showdown feel to it.

Kaiser Ghidroah - Poor Kaiser Ghidorah isn't getting a lot of love now is he? Well I'm going to be different and say that I LOVED KAISER GHIDORAH. When I first saw Monster X transform and then turn into THAT, I knew that Godzilla was in deep doo-doo. Its amazing that in a film where Godzilla was so dominant, he also had a scene in which he looked totally helpless as this new update of Ghidorah just through him around like he was nothing. I really liked this incarnation of Ghidorah and it was really appropriate for the series to end with a Godzilla/Ghidorah fight.

Now onto Megaguiras.

Like I said in the Tezuka post, Megaguiras' main problem is that it is too similar to other Kaiju that are still fairly recent. Battra and Legion are the most obvious ones, and even when I noticed how many different forms the Meganurons had, the first thing I thought of was Destroyah. Lack of originality was the downfall of this Kaiju, and I don't think G-Fans will be demanding the return of Megaguiras 20 years from now, unlike Angilas, Rodan, and Gigan got in this generation.

That's not to say the monster was without merit. There were a lot of things they did in the final fight that I really liked, like Megaguiras' smirk as it dropped a piece of that building onto Godzilla, and Megaguiras draining Godzilla's energy and forcing it back at him in a big way.
Irish Gfan
Little Godzilla

Postby TXKaiju » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:05 pm

Well seen this is a poll and you can only pick those kaiju on the poll I picked Baragon for being worst of the millennium series. However if this had not been a poll imo the worst kaiju of the millennium series is Zilla from GFW.
David Nunez Gojira11354
TXKaiju
Little Godzilla

Postby Legion » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:10 pm

I'm going with Orga, Monster X/Kaiser Ghidora and most (if not all) the re-imagined monsters from Final Wars.

But as for this poll, considering it's 3 years old I don't remember who I actually voted for.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Mac » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:14 pm

I can't believe people don't like Megagurius. He's way more flexible and lively than Battra, and one of the only new kaiju of the series! I'll go with Emperor Ghidorah, considering how clumsily he was handled.
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:15 pm

I forgot this existed, but how did Kaiser Ghidorah not win?
I mean...sure the vinyl toy makes it look better...but
we're talking what's in the film, correct?
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Mac » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:20 pm

[quote="MekaGojira3k]
we're talking what's in the film, correct?[/quote]

I believe so.
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to The Millennium Era: 1999-2005