[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
YOUR Favorite Movies of 2015 • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

YOUR Favorite Movies of 2015

Talk about anything on your mind!

Moderator: Controllers

YOUR Favorite Movies of 2015

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:42 pm

Disclaimer: I have a LONG list of movies I need to see still: (Sicario, Everest, Straight Outta Compton, Black Mass, Steve Jobs, The Walk, Bridge of Spies, Hunger Games, Good Dinosaur, The Night Before, Creed, In the Heart of the Sea, The Big Short, Hateful Eight, The Revenant (unless we're counting this one as 2016)) AND a list of movies that I won't list entirely, but that I need to see, that I don't think could make my top 10, but I still wanna see, like Green Inferno and Goosebumps and Scout's Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse.

SO, what were YOUR favorite movies of 2015? Or your favorites so FAR of 2015? Or, you're a grump and don't like anything?

Here's my (very fluid) TOP 10:
1.) Mad Max: Fury Road
2.) The Martian
3.) Krampus
4.) What We Do in the Shadows
5.) Star Wars: The Force Awakens
6.) Bone Tomahawk
7.) Ex Machina
8.) It Follows
9.) Jurassic World
10.) Crimson Peak

Just barely missing the cut: Ant-Man, The Final Girls, Shaun the Sheep Movie, Chappie, The Gift.

I'd say my top 7 are pretty safely going to be in my top 10 after I see everything I want to, but Crimson Peak and Jurassic World will almost assuredly not make the final cut and It Follows is a bubble movie.

Ultimately, I think I'll wind up with like 20 movies that I either buy, or put on my short-list, and maybe another 5-10 that I put on a list of "If I see it for less than $10".

Of course, I suppose no discussion of favorites would be complete without discussing some least favorites...but FIRST
Let-Downs:
Avengers
Tomorrowland
Southpaw
Inside Out
American Ultra
Jupiter Ascending
Maggie
^I don't really DISLIKE any of these, but aside from Avengers due to completionism and MAYBE American Ultra (as it's something I think I might enjoy more and more with repeat viewings) I went into each of these movies expecting something and feeling like that expectation wasn't met. Whether it was "This could be a top 10" and finding it to be utterly forgettable (Tomorrowland, Southpaw) or "This should be a lot of fun" and finding it to have some major (or several minor) flaw(s) that kept me at an arm's length from loving it (Jupiter Ascending, Avengers, Inside Out), these movies all left me cold, though I wouldn't necessarily tell people to avoid them.

Now, my WORSTS:

9.) Strange Magic - Maybe this could be even higher on the list, considering I quit on it, but at the same time, it didn't suck away too much of my time...because I turned it off.
8.) The Gunman - Another movie I don't remember too well, just that it was overly self-serious, poorly directed/scripted, and not very well cast.
7.) Terminator Genisys - Stupid, bland, overly convoluted, poorly acted, poorly cast, poorly scripted, just a mishmash of bad BAD stuff with occasional moments that attempt to trade in on nostalgia and fail to do so. Terminator with kid-gloves on...just awful stuff. To see what this franchise has degenerated into almost makes me sad.
6.) Magic Mike XXL - the first movie was a serious attempt at a real movie, building real characters, telling a real story. This movie is everything you thought the first one was going to be given its trailers. It's a bunch of dudebros hanging out getting any girl they want flopping around in speedos just being dbags all the time, and it completely negates everything from the first movie.
5.) Pitch Perfect 2 - I don't get the fascination with this franchise. Listening to a tween girl's iPod shuffle while a bunch of mean-spirited mean-girl-types act all judgmental of everyone who isn't them, and the only likable one is a girl everyone calls "Fat Amy" with a BUNCH of acapella "puns" that aren't puns at all, they're just terribly written jokes...and there's TONS of cheating on the songs, with me SWEARING I can hear musical accompaniments, but others SWEARING there's not, but DEFINITELY dozens upon dozens of tracks being used when only one or two people are supposedly singing.
4.) San Andreas - You get The Rock, one of the most charismatic people there is, who is a prototypical action-star to the extent that everything he did in a movie called HERCULES is stuff I think The Rock could actually do in real-life....and you put him in a plane floating above all the action for 100 out of 115 minutes.
3.) Minions - I kinda liked the Minions in the first Despicable Me, when they were just cannon-fodder for Gru and not really "people" with personalities, as much. Then something happened in between the first and second movie where all the moms started to get minion fever and they wound up taking over the show. These little pukes are unfunny and their adventures are not remotely interesting. There's a reason Pixar never made a "Little Green Aliens from the Claw Machine" movie. This stuff is only tolerable in small doses.
2.) Trainwreck/Vacation - A tie of unfunniness.
1.) Hot Tub Time Machine 2 - This is one of the first movies I think maybe I've ever seen where I finally saw the "Comedy is WAY too mean-spirited these days" complaint a lot of people throw around. I couldn't believe how nasty and ultimately woefully unfunny this movie is.There's a LENGTHY scene where the entire "joke" is that one character has to butt-rape another....and then he actually does. And we're supposed to LAUGH??? This is horrible.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Re: YOUR Favorite Movies of 2015

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:32 pm

Crimson Peak is already off my list. I forgot about Kingsman:
Here's my (very fluid) TOP 10:
1.) Mad Max: Fury Road
2.) The Martian
3.) Krampus
4.) Kingsman: The Secret Service
5.) What We Do in the Shadows
6.) Star Wars: The Force Awakens
7.) Bone Tomahawk
8.) Ex Machina
9.) It Follows
10.) Jurassic World

I know I forgot about Kingsman, but man that top 5 is DEADLY good to me. I could watch ANY of those movies at ANY given time.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby klen7 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:05 pm

I would say Kingsman, Mad Max, Force Awakens were tops

Avengers, Jursassic World, Ant Man were good

I still need to see Ex Machina, Sicario, Martian, Spectre, Bone Tomahawk, Hateful Eight, In the Heart of the Sea, Final Girls, Krampus, Beasts of No Nation, Steve Jobs and Crimson Peak... any number of those i'd expect to make the list.

I also plan to see Furious 7, Mission Impossible Rogue Nation, Chappie, The Man from UNCLE, Straight Outta Compton, Black Mass, Goosebumps, and The Revenant, but i'm not expecting a top 10 movie.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:23 pm

I didn't see enough films to comfortably lend to writing a list, but I will say that Mad Max: Fury Road certainly won the year for me. In fact, Fury Road was one of those rare films that, during my first viewing, entirely overwhelmed me and I felt it becoming an all-time favorite right there on the spot. You know the feeling: everything else melts away and you're just in-synch with what you're watching. The only other time I felt that this year wasn't for something current. It was watching the 1925 film The Freshman, a Harold Lloyd comedy.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:57 pm

The only movie I can actually say I saw that sucked donkey balls this year was Hunger Games 4000.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby tbeasley » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:40 pm

I really enjoyed Kingsman: The Secret Service, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Martian, Crimson Peak and Star Wars: The Force Awakens. I'd still like to see The Revenant.
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.
tbeasley
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:11 pm

I'm surprised Fantastic Four didn't make your worst of.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast-

If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It Podcast
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:22 am

I guess I don't care about The Fantastic Four enough to get angered over a Fantastic Four movie. Plenty of other superhero stuff to enjoy.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:50 am

Since I presented my best movies of 2015 list it was only fitting I do a list about the worst movies of the year. As such, here you are. Enjoy. :-)

Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:04 pm

I've watched most of what I wanted so
1. Ex Machina
2. Crimson Peak
3. Hateful Eight
4. Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
5. The Martian
6. The Revenant
7. Slow West