[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Jon Stewart leaving The Daily Show • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Jon Stewart leaving The Daily Show

Talk about anything on your mind!

Moderator: Controllers

Jon Stewart leaving The Daily Show

Postby XvGojira » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:17 am

http://www.avclub.com/article/jon-stewa ... how-215070

He's probably looking at 2016 and thinking he doesn't want to cover another election.

I knew that his run would have to end some time, but he's been one of the TV staples in my life. Like MASH, the show caught my attention back in high school and it just struck a cord with me.

Now people are speculating on whose going to take the seat.

Colbert leaving and the Nightly show being very much "meh" at the moment, the best thing they'll have on the late night line up during the transition is @midnight.

I've heard a few people joke about Brian Williams taking the up the job.

Edit:

Mildly unrelated, does the AVClub load like crap for anyone else? Like I have to scroll through several huge ass pictures that link to other articles even before getting to the five line blurb of an article. It's like the digital version of getting a receipt at CVS/Walgreens or something.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Re: Jon Stewart leaving The Daily Show

Postby lhb412 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:40 am

I feel about Jon Stewart the same way I hear older folks say they felt about Johnny Carson: he was just such a big part of their lives they didn't expect him to ever be gone. You checked in with him (pretty much) every day. I've been watching TDS for 11 years, but since it stretched from my early teens to my adulthood it feels like an even longer time than it is.

At least Colbert will soon be back on TV, albeit in a different form. As for the Nightly Show: I love Larry, but this panel format has got to stop. I'm at the point now where I can only watch the first segment.

Even though she's really young (same age as me, in fact) I think Jessica Williams is the correspondent who'd comfortably fit as a host, but that'd change the show significantly.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Hybrid Gojira » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:13 am

I've always considered myself a conservative, but what I loved most about Stewart is that he lampooned everyone on both sides of the political isle and then some. I appreciated the way he was fair about his approach. He wouldn't limit his sketches to just one side - he'd hammer both when the needed to be dealt with.

Plus the guy is just hilarious.

Sad news.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast
Hybrid Gojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:52 am

XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:24 am

lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Hybrid Gojira » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:58 am

Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast
Hybrid Gojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:39 am

Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Russzilla » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:24 am

He will be missed. And his "feud" with WWE's Seth Rollins was hilarious.
Russzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:12 pm

I really liked this article. The writer rewatched a great amount of TDS and has come to some uncomfortable conclusions, many of which have been in the back of my mind for a few years now:

http://io9.com/bingewatching-history-i- ... 1722320764

I feel Jon has had a bit more swing in his step these last few months, but in the last few years I've totally had the sense that the world has been grinding him down. It's one thing to make a joke about epic level hypocrisy, greed, and stupidity - it's another to keep having to keep repeating those jokes as history continues to repeat itself. With the rise of ISIS in the past year it was an insane to see Stewart and Colbert find themselves having to essentially cycle back to the doing the same stories, the same jokes, they did in the early-to-mid '00s.

And cable news is just utter garbage. Recent interviews have clarified that Colbert was ending his show regardless of finding another job simply because he was finding himself essentially unable to tolerate the cable news format, and Jon's made similar statements. I hope neither have to watch Fox News or MSNBC or CNN ever again!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:59 pm

But isn't Jon taking up a prime time news hosting job?

It sounds like he got tire of just making ha-ha at the issues and wants do real news.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:17 am

lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:51 pm

The last episode was amazing.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:44 pm

lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:10 pm

Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:35 pm

^ I watched Oliver's latest episode right after the Stewart sendoff to convince myself everything's gonna be okay.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:41 am

Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:21 am

Man, when Jon came back to do his thing on Colbert the other day it was like old times. He seemed to miss it, too.

(Colbert's also gotten a lot better in his new role, too. That first year or so was a bit awkward)
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Return to General Discussion