[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Gentleman Robo - A Science Fiction Adventure Book for Readin • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Gentleman Robo - A Science Fiction Adventure Book for Readin

Talk about anything on your mind!

Moderator: Controllers

Gentleman Robo - A Science Fiction Adventure Book for Readin

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu May 01, 2014 11:02 am

FOLLOWING IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF KING_GHIDORAH I HAVE SELF PUBLISHED A SERIES OF WORDS FOR READING :D
Gentleman Robo follows Nick who isn't important enough to have a last name. Nick finds himself brought into
the midst of MATS (Monster Avoidance and Tactical Squadron). MATS is full of weirdos and to make matters
stranger he has been saddled with the new and mysterious power of GENTLEMAN ROBO.

I write a lot, but I never tried to edit or publish anything. So I challenged myself to write something in 2 weeks, edit it in 2 weeks.
Which probably sounds awful to people who are successful or work diligently toward some approximation of perfection.
Mostly I wanted to prove something to myself and make people laugh.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Re: Gentleman Robo - A Science Fiction Adventure Book for Re

Postby klen7 » Thu May 01, 2014 4:45 pm

I take it you did this as a side thing before returning to your opus of Doctor Davis Davison (kind of like Joss Whedon tackling Shakespeare between Avengers flicks)
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu May 01, 2014 5:29 pm

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:45 pm

I'll check it out...eventually. Keep bumping the discussion every now and then to make me remember and I swear I'll do it.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby klen7 » Thu May 01, 2014 11:21 pm

klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue May 06, 2014 9:09 am

EDIT: IT IS NOW AVAILABLE IN PRINT...IF YOU'RE INTO THAT SORT OF THING

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:58 pm

Chapter 5. Linda Miller ::swoons::

:EDIT: i just read further.... how could you?! you son of $#$%!
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:28 pm

Hey Klen, did you ever finish this? If so, on a scale of 1 to THAT'S THE WORST THING I EVER READ, what would you give it?

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:25 pm

So, i'm kind of weird in that i read 3 or 4 books at the same time... which pretty much means it takes me 3 or 4 times longer than normal to read a book... so according to my Kindle i'm at the 49% point in the book.

So far,

Pros:
+ Humor
+ Breaking the 4th wall
+ Self deprecating
+ Fandom references
+ The line " 'Oh.' Nick was crushed emotionally and all was right in the world." Worked wonderfully in the Seijin-Destiny conversation.
+ Genre

Cons:
- Probably would have benefited from another set of eyes for the editing phase (or maybe give yourself more time/distance before editing next time).. although there is nothing so egregious it immediately comes to mind.
- I found Chapter 8 (and to a lesser extent 5) to be "cruel". There seems to be an underlying depression to the main character, but handling it with humor makes it work.. Chapter 8 was just incredibly dark and joyless.. it felt at odds with the rest of the book. If the goal was to look at the tragedy that this genre often trivializes as a plot contrivance in a much more stark light, i guess it succeeds, but at the cost of the overall tone. (TLDR: It was a complete downer.)

Anyway, I'm still enjoying it overall, but probably won't give a number rating until i finish it... but on the Ultraman scale (if 1 is Birdon and 10 is Antlar) i'd probably put it a notch above Twin Tail.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:46 pm

Oh god yes. The editing is awful, but I kind of spent like...2 weeks editing it (more or less). I tried to get friends and family to read it, but it was a no go. The goal was to get it out there. Next time I do this I'll take more time. (Wrote the story itself in 2 weeks as well).

I love that you reacted to Chapter 8 the way you did.

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:28 pm

klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:46 pm

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla