[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Your TOP FILMS of 2013 • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Your TOP FILMS of 2013

Talk about anything on your mind!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Your TOP FILMS of 2013

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:25 pm

I'm as caught up as I'm gonna be anytime soon. XD, so I'm going ahead and posting my top 10 before it's like...February or March.
1. Frozen
2. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
3. Stoker
4. American Hustle
5. Saving Mr. Banks
6. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
7. The World’s End
8. Pacific Rim
9. Elysium
10. Star Trek Into Darkness

Still so many movies left to watch. Ugh.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gman2887 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:47 pm

1. Pacific Rim (obvious bias)
2. Gravity
3. The Place Beyond the Pines
4. Iron Man 3
5. The Wolverine
6. Star Trek into Darkness
7. Captain Philips
8. Hunger Games: Catching Fire
9. Frozen
10. Her

2013 was rather odd. I enjoyed most of the movies I saw this year, but most were merely "good movies" that were massively entertaining. The last two years I felt there was more of a divide, but I was fairly satisfied with the slate I saw. My least favorites are still hilarious...
Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:34 pm

So I need to update mine with something I saw Monday.
1. August: Osage County
2. Frozen
3. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
4. Stoker
5. American Hustle
6. Saving Mr. Banks
7. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
8. The World’s End
9. Pacific Rim
10. Elysium
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:30 pm

BTW, I don't think I mentioned it here, but I saw American Hustle earlier this month and it easily took the #1 spot. Also, after seeing Frozen again it has moved up to #2, so move everything else down one and you will have my updated list.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:02 pm

UPDATE: I've seen The Spectacular Now, Riddick, Gravity, You're Next, Machete Kills, Carrie, Ender's Game, Captain Phillips,Fruitvale Station, In a World...,Rush, Nebraska, Dallas Buyers Club and Thor 2...only two of which broke their way into my top ten.

1.) Pacific Rim
2.) The World's End
3.) Pain & Gain
4.) Man of Steel
5.) Maniac
6.) Evil Dead
7.) The Wolverine
8.) Gravity
9.) Rush
10.) Don Jon

Honorable Mentions: Mud, Only God Forgives, Warm Bodies, Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Need to See (Bolded are highly anticipated by me):
Hatchet 3
Despicable Me 2
12 Years a Slave
American Hustle
Wolf of Wall Street
Escape from Tomorrow
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:41 pm

Couldn't even finish American Hustle. Depressing, by-numbers, Oscar-bait film. It's trying it's hardest to be a Scorcese film but it doesn't come close in my opinion.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:45 pm

Eric hates something good. In other news, the sky is still blue. ;)

Seriously though, American Hustle, depressing?! If anything, its a light, almost FEEL GOOD movie. Maybe you should have watched the whole thing, but it sounds like you made up your mind already- and based on previous conversations, it sounds like you knew you were gonna hate it before you gave it a chance.

However, I will concede that I think its Scorsese-light, and not as good as a Scorsese film.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast-

If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It Podcast
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:47 pm

FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:50 pm

Kaiju Transmissions Podcast-

If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It Podcast
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:54 pm

I'm still want to watch Wolf...it seems more like a comedy. Like you said, the directors knows that his characters are unlikable and uses that for the sake of entertainment. I think I might be able to get behind that.

I also finally saw 12 Years A Slave. Powerful film. I'll never watch the movie again, but it was a pretty good film.

Edit.* I'll be a little more honest here. I felt like 12 Years A Slave was good, but over-hyped. It felt like a horror film made with an Oscar cast and crew. What makes it rise to a higher level, is unfortunately the gravity of what the movie is based on. As a singular movie, it's a little empty and void of personality.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:11 pm

I personally loved American Hustle. I thought it was wildly entertaining, and I think the complaint about wanting us to like these despicable characters only aptly applies to Christian Bale. MAYBE Amy Adams, but then I feel like her character is more the one who's easiest to defend as being corrupted by Bale.

But of all the Oscar nominees I saw, it was the only one that hit with me in any significant way.
Wolf was too long, and aside from Leo, I didn't find much in the way of performances or anything to grab onto.
Slave was fine...I appreciated that it wasn't overly sentimental or anything, but I had some issues with the way it set itself up as a film, and beyond it being hard to say I enjoyed it, it kinda felt a touch anti-climactic and I think they coulda done a better job building some of that tension over the Brad Pitt character (as well as the earlier character who betrays Ejiofor with the letter).
Gravity was a fun, exciting ride. I liked it. But it's got some script issues and falls into some of the trappings of its genre.
Phillips really got me hooked once Hanks was on the lifeboat, but the directorial decisions and over-abundance of shaky cam make it something I wouldn't jump to watch over and over.
Nebraska was fine. But I failed to see anything really truly special taking place. Just a solid film.
Dallas Buyers was good...but again kinda anti-climactic. It was also extremely one-sided and honestly, while I thought McConaughey was good, I didn't get the AMAZING performance from him that a lot of people seemed to. Jared Leto was stellar.
Philomena....Judi Dench was good. That's about all I have to say about it. I fell asleep TWICE trying to watch it otherwise.
I haven't seen Her.

re-doing my list, having seen everything I think could potentially break into the top 10 (Because none of the forthcoming home video releases for April seem to have much of a chance, and Her really is a 2014 film).
1.) Pacific Rim
2.) The World's End
3.) Pain & Gain
4.) Maniac
5.) Man of Steel
6.) Evil Dead
7.) American Hustle
8.) Rush
9.) The Wolverine
10.) Don Jon

Honorable Mentions: Gravity, Mud, Hunger Games: Catching Fire.

I'm good with this list. Unless I see something that really wows me, I won't be changing it again.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:20 pm

2013 was one of the worst years for films (to me) in recent history. I know some people like Mouth loved 2013 but there's not really much of anything that stands out to me from last year.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:27 pm

for me, it was an interesting year...in that, I really LIKED a lot of movies, but didn't particularly LOVE a ton.

so it was harder for me to do a top 10 than in recent years because the difference between films I'd rank in my top 7-15 is pretty miniscule, so it becomes kinda arbitrary. Whereas I think other years have had more movies I love, but then fewer movies that I just liked.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby tbeasley » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:46 pm

The Last Stand
Jack the Giant Slayer
Stoker
Star Trek Into Darkness
Man of Steel
Pacific Rim
The World's End
The Wolverine
Kick-Ass 2
Gravity
Thor: The Dark World
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.
tbeasley
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:33 pm

I haven't seen a whole lot of 2013 films but I'd rank the ones I enjoyed like so:

The World's End
Pacific Rim
The Wolverine
Elysium
Iron Man 3
This Is The End
Bad Grandpa
Thor 2

The only movie from last year which I saw and didn't like was Identity Thief. Actually, I only saw the first 40 minutes or so before I left. It's painfully unfunny. Jason Bateman should know better.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Previous

Return to General Discussion