Dieting/Excercise thread

Talk about anything on your mind!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Dieting/Excercise thread

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Thu May 09, 2013 12:46 am

Benjamin Haines wrote:
Tom R VanSlambrouck wrote:Any recommendations of excercise/foods to eat to help silm down?

Replace every instance of eating potato chips out of a bag with eating spinach leaves out of a bag. Spinach rocks.

I haven't had any potato chips at all in the past month and yes Spinach is really good.
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat May 11, 2013 12:55 pm

After tipping the scales 3 and a half weeks ago at 220, I'm down to 205.

Here's what I did:
Week 1/2 - worked out every other day, just to get myself back to a place where I felt I could work out every day without limping from soreness.
Week 1 - cardio every other morning and P90X every night, except I missed two nights due to travel.
^during this period of time, I lost a grand total of 2 lbs.
Weeks 2&3 - half-hour swim every morning. Interval training type stuff. Cardio workout mostly, just to get my metabolism kickstarted for the AM.
Breakfast: Watermelon, honeydew, and cantaloupe in a small bowl, and either a bowl of cereal (like Raisin Bran) with skim milk or a 3-egg-white omelet with tomato, green pepper, onion and spinach.
Lunch: Between 4 and 8 oz of chicken (havent REALLY been keeping track), and an undressed salad, with like red peppers or jicama, or something to add flavor. Also sometimes some rice or stir fried veggies, my lunches have been being provided by my work.
P90X after work.
Dinner: No-Fat Yogurt, an Orange, an Apple, a Banana, and a glass of V8 that's half regular half low-sodium (the low sodium stuff is too bland to just do it by itself)
Night workout: Cardio, 35-45 minutes.

I'd probably be down an extra pound or two, but last Friday and Sunday I had a lot of beer (terrible for a diet), and yesterday I went to a crawfish boil.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat May 11, 2013 2:10 pm

I've had the worst time trying to lose weight. Back in February I was about 190, and I finally made it to 172.2 on my last weigh in. Having two separate relapses (due to Birthday cakes/a lot of time spent in the hospital which interrupted my exercise routine).

My goal is really 155-165, and maybe I'll make it there by the end of the year.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat May 11, 2013 2:30 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:I've had the worst time trying to lose weight. Back in February I was about 190, and I finally made it to 172.2 on my last weigh in. Having two separate relapses (due to Birthday cakes/a lot of time spent in the hospital which interrupted my exercise routine).

My goal is really 155-165, and maybe I'll make it there by the end of the year.
I've resigned myself to the knowledge that I'll NEVER see the likes of 170 again.

185...that's approximately what I'm shooting for long-term.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Sat May 11, 2013 4:18 pm

Jelly, your diet sounds great man, but I cautiously want to warn you against diets like that because more often than not, you won't be able to maintain it and as soon as you slip, the weight will pile back on.

If you're doing it to sprint to a weight, and then plan on scaling your diet back to something a little more moderate, that's a solid plan, but still, I think slow and steady is the way to go.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat May 11, 2013 4:31 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:Jelly, your diet sounds great man, but I cautiously want to warn you against diets like that because more often than not, you won't be able to maintain it and as soon as you slip, the weight will pile back on.

If you're doing it to sprint to a weight, and then plan on scaling your diet back to something a little more moderate, that's a solid plan, but still, I think slow and steady is the way to go.
I'm really just doing it for the month, while I'm in Denver, because all this healthy crap is free right now. And I figure if I can drop 10 lbs in a month (done already, I suppose) then that's a good head start on getting to my target weight (185-ish) by Halloween-ish. Just in time to puff back up to 195-200 from Thanksgiving and X-mas. :lol:

When I get back to Houston, I'll be going back to something a little more moderate (ie, I'll actually eat a steak, or burger) but I'm definitely cutting out the snacks and garbage foods for the foreseeable future. I've also had plenty of cheat days since I've been here, as I've mentioned.

Last Friday I had beers and wings, Last Saturday I had cheese quesadillas and guacamole and chips and a hot dog with bacon and blue cheese on it, Sunday I had Eggs Benedict done in a Mexican style with hash browns, This Thursday I had a couple of chicharones, some cheese and some chips and guac, and yesterday I did a crawfish boil (and gumbo...and 5 lbs of crawfish...and several beers).

So, I'm definitely taking more care with what I eat (and plan to continue to do so, ie, continuing the whole egg-white thing, upping the intake of fruits and salads), but I'm also not starving myself and not denying myself the guilty pleasures when I want (except at lunchtime, where we've been being offered dessert every single day and I've said no every single time) .
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Sat May 11, 2013 4:38 pm

You have a moderate, good-sounding plan then my friend. I wish you the best of luck.

I'm actually on the opposite track right now on my TDY/Work Vacation. I've been eating out a lot, trying all sorts of southern cuisine. I usually eat pretty healthy when I'm home so I figure live it up while I have the company charge card for meals. I have been working out like a fiend though. The heavy calories, plus my work out routine, has actually meant that I've built, and shredded, a decent amount of muscle in the past week. Seriously, with the exception of today, if I'm not eating I'm doing something like hiking or working out in a gym.

Today though, just gonna eat crap and continue to watch Ultraman on Hulu lol.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat May 11, 2013 4:41 pm

^I'd probably do more of a "food tour" if the Denver/Colorado region had well-known foods.

But everyone keeps telling me they have good Mexican here, and I can get better Mexican from the real Mexicans living in Houston, so I think the only thing I want to try is rocky mountain oysters...just out of curiosity.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Sat May 11, 2013 4:43 pm

Lol, gotta try if it's there.

I had a gator meat taco last night that was surprisingly good.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Sun May 12, 2013 12:11 am

Jelly I had a few cheat days this week, Tuesday I had a cheeseburger and french fries as well as an ice cream cone, last night I had a dounut at work since it was free dounut day. Then today I just had french fries, a chesseburger and fried fish.

I'll make it up tomorrow by having a smoothie and healthy lunch at work.
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun May 12, 2013 3:22 pm

Today was a weigh-in day, 170.1
I have no idea what I did right this week, but hooray!
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby briizilla » Sun May 12, 2013 7:06 pm

A few weeks ago I got a Magic Bullet from Target, it's the best $50 I've spent in forever. Healthy smoothies twice a day every day :D
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby Hybrid Gojira » Sun May 12, 2013 8:42 pm

Well I was at 208...dropped to 198 and back up to 203 today. I know some fluctuation is normal but I've been eating terribly..so
tomorrow I'm back at it. I've also decided to start the South beach diet as well.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast
Hybrid Gojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Mon May 13, 2013 3:04 pm

Gotta ditch a few pounds in the enxt 40 days to fit intomy wedding pants.

Well, I can also have the pants let out, but losing weight is cheaper...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun May 19, 2013 2:11 pm

Today was a good weigh-in day. 167.8 :D

I may actually be the weight of a normal person for my height by the end of summer!
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:53 pm

200.2 today...

so freaking close to my goal for the month (200).

i know that in all likelihood, between eating and not working out on my drive back from denver to houston, i'll go back over 200...but the thing is just getting there. i've got until saturday at 5 AM (when i plan to leave) to get under 200.

in reality, i'm expecting to be slightly over. we have a dinner Friday evening with a whole bunch of work people, and i'll likely gain a couple pounds during it (beer, food, dessert, etc)
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri May 24, 2013 2:31 pm

I think it's POSSIBLE that even with tonight's undoubtedly fattening meal, I may still walk out of Denver with the first digit of the scale being a 1.

That makes me incredibly happy.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby klen7 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:39 pm

Congrats.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri May 24, 2013 9:12 pm

Woo!
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Sat May 25, 2013 1:02 am

I'm down 23 pounds myself though that might come back because Monday-Wednesday I had no appetite so yesterday and today I ate a lot of food and not stuff that's healthy for you either.

Plus Monday is going to be a bad day too going to a BBQ at a friend's place. Though I'm bringing turkey burger.
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun May 26, 2013 2:29 pm

Only lost .4 pounds this week (167.4 now) but I had Pizza and had to skip exercise on Friday. A little disappointing. I'm hoping I'll do much better this week.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:51 pm

Woo! 165.8 :D
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:18 am

Down to 249 just need to get down to 220-200 then I'm going to start the muscle building process.
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:25 pm

After I failed utterly last week I'm down to 163.6 as of today. I was lower during the week but I had a pizza sub yesterday.

My original goal was 160, but I think 150 or as low as I can go is my aim now. Or as low as I can go before it just becomes nigh impossible to lose.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:09 pm

I'm consistently weighing in below 200, but I think I'm starting to add some muscle mass now so the scale isn't changing much.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion