eabaker's movies thread

Talk about anything on your mind!

Moderator: Controllers

eabaker's movies thread

Postby eabaker » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:37 pm

Because, hey, why can't I get a slice of the self-promotion pie?

Every once in awhile, I'll post one of my shorts on here. Whenever I make something new, I'll post it promptly.

First up, a 48 Hour Film Project entry I directed in 2010, called "One Week Notice." For those unfamiliar with the 48 Hour Film Project, teams are given 48 hours to write, shoot, and edit a piece, based on an assigned genre, and including a required character, prop, and line of dialogue. In this case, our genre was dark comedy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XTPoZM2zxw

Enjoy!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:24 pm

Alright, another Friday, another one of my videos. This oen is a silent slapstick comedy which I directed and shot.

This video is private, so to view it you'll have to enter the passord: mickey.

http://vimeo.com/48323593

Enjoy!

Oh, and stick around for the tag scene after the credits. :-)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:37 pm

Alright, this Friday brings my most recent entry for the 48 Hour Film Project. Once again, the genre we drew was dark comedy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRaf9kjXtgA
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:05 pm

eabaker wrote:Alright, another Friday, another one of my videos. This oen is a silent slapstick comedy which I directed and shot.

Enjoy!

I keep entering the password and nothing happens
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:09 pm

DannyBeane wrote:
eabaker wrote:Alright, another Friday, another one of my videos. This oen is a silent slapstick comedy which I directed and shot.

Enjoy!

I keep entering the password and nothing happens

I just tested it. If I capitalize "Mickey," it won't open, but as long as it's all lower case, it's playing fine.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:16 pm

Its still not working and i double checked capitalization and spelling. Keeps taking me to the enter password page
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:18 pm

Weird... I don't know what to tell you. I guess I'll test the link on a different computer and see if it still works for me. Thanks for letting me know!
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:29 pm

got it to work on a different computer
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:36 pm

Cool. I'm not the biggest fan of Vimeo - I find it's very picky about when it will and will not load - but in this case it was the producer who decided where it should be posted.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:43 pm

Happy Friday! Here I go again!

This one is a fake giallo trailer I wrote, directed, dp'd, and re-dubbed the male voices for (wanted to give it that foreign vibe as much as possible).

There's a content warning, so you'll have to sign in to view it.

http://youtu.be/zjJGcassN2M
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:10 pm

Missed a few weeks, what with being off on vacation and all, but I'm back!

Here's another of my 48 Hour Film Project entries, this one from 2008, when our assigned genre was police/detective. I directed and dp'd in this case.

Enjoy "Runne and Chaise"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1eJYj2j9k8
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:31 pm

And this week, one of the two hip-hop music videos I've directed, this one for "Trooper" by Dame55

http://dipdive.com/member/BrentJavier/media/171620
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:53 pm

And back to the 48 Hour Film Project stuff; this is one I worked on in Portland, as DP, co-writer, and co-editor. The genre was doppelganger, and the title is "Between Paintings."

phpBB [media]
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:23 pm

I will try and watch some of these soon, comrade!
[DaiKamonohashi - Kiryugoji04 - Kaiju Hipster - Jared P. Foust]
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:13 am

Josh and I just finished watching Mickey & the Fly, which, on the whole, I quite liked! You did a great job paying homage to that old-time style, though I do kind of feel like it needed some tightening up here and there. A good example of where would be when the lead character first encounters the group of martial artists. It kind of meanders a little too long before we get to the actual gags of the scene. There are a couple other spots like that. Generally pretty good though and we giggled a fair bit while watching it. :lol:

One other tiny little nitpick though: I think the iris transitions would've looks a little better if their edges were ever-so-slightly blurred instead of super-sharp. The sharpness makes them feel overly-digital and out of place in a film that's trying to look like an old silent film.
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby planetxleader » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:13 am

Yeah, I was over at Jared's (working on props for our films, actually!) and watched this with him. I really dug it! Pretty charming!

Was the story setup pulled from an existing silent film? The initial gag with the fly and spaghetti rang familiar to me.
"Vishnu takes on his multi-armed form, and says, "RAAAAAHHHOOO!!!'"
planetxleader
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:36 am

So I just watched the giallo trailer and thought it was pretty okay. I feel like maybe you've still not quite come into a full style of your own yet because your shots would switch between kind of dull to, "I kind of wish I'd made that." You've got some excellent use of moody lighting in places and other places needed some more effort, similar to your framing. The jump scare with the killer leaping out in front of the woman was GREAT. Josh and I were legitimately startled! But then I think you held on the shot a little too long and kind of killed the moment.

All in all, an admirable effort. Keep it up!
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby planetxleader » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:46 am

Yeah, liked the Deaths of Beautiful woman video and don't have anything to add that Jared hasn't already, but I did watch the Trooper rap video because I'm the rap fan between the two of us. :P I thought it was aite, I liked the look of it a whole lot, but I would have liked there to be more interesting action in—it got a little repetitive for me.

All-in-all, good, promising stuff. I'm okay that I got pulled away to come look at this. :)
planetxleader
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:22 pm

Good critiques, guys, and duly noted!

I'm not sure if the script for Mickey and the Fly was based on an older piece. It was brought to me as a finished script.

The giallo trailer was definitely a very rough piece of work. That was quite a few years ago, and I think I'd make some better choices now.

And I absolutely agree that the Trooper video gets a little repetitive. Choose any given 30 seconds or so, and I'll enjoy it, but I almost never sit through the entire thing from start to finish anymore.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby planetxleader » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:48 pm

No prob! Jared saw this thread here not getting enough attention, and we know how that feels like. :) I'll be checking your stuff out now.
planetxleader
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:50 pm

Whoops! Forgot to post here for the last couple of Fridays!

Just a brief one this week, a spec commercial that I dp'd and co-directed:

phpBB [media]
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:42 am

Something a little different(er) this week. Thus far, I've refrained from posting any professional work (largely because there's not much of it), but I was getting paid to direct video greeting cards for awhile. Here's a link to my "Featured Artist" page on Rattlebox.com, where 15 of my cards are featured:

http://www.rattlebox.com/ecard/categori ... an-a-baker
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:16 pm

And another of the 48 Hour Film Project entries, this one from 2009, when the genre we drew was sci-fi:

http://www.hashad.net/OKsunshine/
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:44 pm

Alright, this week it's another hip hop music video, this one for "Good Days" by Color Free.

phpBB [media]
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:55 pm

The very first 48 Hour Film Project I worked on, in Portland, 2007. This one was a joint effort where a bunch of us shared writing/directing/editing credit. Enjoy "Askew":

phpBB [media]
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Next

Return to General Discussion