[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
eabaker's movies thread • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

eabaker's movies thread

Talk about anything on your mind!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: eabaker's movies thread

Postby eabaker » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:46 pm

Whoops! Forgot to post yesterday!

Well, this week I am putting up the final entry in my experimental JX series. Here, the technical juxtaposition is between wide lenses and long lenses, but there us also juxtaposition between faces and expressions/reactions.

This time, I very much prefer the temp music version.

JX1E:

JX1E (with temp music, "Government Center" by The Modern Lovers): Password: Juxtaposition
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:12 pm

Continuing chronologically, I'm now at the point where Jenn and I started work on our thesis. That's still a work in progress, and even if it were finished, I wouldn't be linking to the entire feature here. Instead, I'll share some bits and pieces over the next few weeks.

The project is an anthology horror/comedy called 5 Faces of Hell. It follows five strangers who visit Le Theatre du Grand Goofball, a grotesque and profane puppet show. After the show, they go backstage to complain, and there they are met by evil, sentient puppets, who tell each of the guests their own horrible fates. Those five stories make up the five segments of the anthology. Each segment was also conceived so that it could stand on its own as a short film, separate from the full feature. Part of the reason we took this approach was so that we could take on different jobs on different segments; most often I served as director, but a couple of times I dp'd; sometimes I was involved in the writing and editing, but not always (well, except for giving notes on both, which I always did).

This week, I'll share two trailers we put together for the first segment we shot, "Charlotte on the Rebound." This is a segment that I directed, but in many ways it's more Jenn's baby; she wrote, dp'd and edited.

"CHARLOTTE ON THE REBOUND" trailer 1:

"CHARLOTTE ON THE REBOUND" trailer 2:
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:04 pm

Alright, continuing with the stuff from 5 Faces of Hell, our horror anthology currently in post-production, here are a couple of different trailer's for the second segment we shot, "Conversations with Emily."

This is a segment that Jenn wrote, directed and edited, and I dp'd.

"CONVERSATIONS WITH EMILY" TEASER 1:

"CONVERSATIONS WITH EMILY" TEASER 2:
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:50 pm

I normally only post in this thread once a week, but over the weekend Jenn and I put together another trailer for "Conversations with Emily," so I figured I'd add that here now.

"CONVERSATIONS WITH EMILY" TEASER 3:
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:04 pm

Alright, time for more from 5 Faces of Hell, currently in post-production. This week I'm posting a couple of trailers for the third segment we shot, "Lisa the Vampire."

For this segment (which Jenn and I co-wrote, I directed and am editing, and Jenn dp'd) we really wanted to pay tribute to 70s horror. Jenn did a lot of testing to get the right warm, saturated, high-contrast look, and I made sure to incorporate some zooms and split-screen where they fit the story.

"LISA THE VAMPIRE" TEASER 1:

"LISA THE VAMPIRE" TEASER 2:
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:01 pm

And another peek at our currently-in-post anthology horror comedy, 5 Faces of Hell! This week, it's the trailer for the fourth segment we shot, "Don't Demonize Daniel!"

This time, we brought in our friend Justin Bloch to write and direct. I dp'd, and Jenn was production designer. This is our satanic horror segment.

"DON'T DEMONIZE DANIEL!" TEASER:
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:58 pm

Once again, a look at one of the segments for our still-in-post anthology horror comedy, 5 Faces of Hell. Today, I'm posting a trailer for the fifth segment we shot (although it's the second one in terms of the movie's structure), "Rappaccini's Formula."

I directed this one and co-wrote it with my friend Justin, while Jenn dp'd. This was our stab at the body horror sub-genre.

"RAPPACCINI'S FORMULA" TEASER:
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:42 pm

Alright, it's the sixth and final consecutive week of my posts about our anthology horror comedy feature, 5 Faces of Hell. The last thing we shot was the wrap-around material, which ties the five shorts together into a feature, so here are a couple of trailers for the full movie, which incorporate footage from the segments and the wrap-arounds.

5 FACES OF HELL TEASER:

5 FACES OF HELL TRAILER:

And, just for the fun of it, some raw footage from one of our puppet shots:
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:48 pm

Whoops! Forgot to post yesterday! Maybe I'll switch back to Fridays, anyway.

I'm pretty much caught up with posting my own stuff, so for now I'll throw out some stuff that I helped other people on.

For now, I'll post "Halflight," one of Jenn's early grad school projects, on which I was gaffer and sound editor.

HALFLIGHT:
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:58 pm

This week, another one of Jenn's projects. She was writer/director/dp on this one, and I did b-cam on the locked-down stuff, all the hand-held camera, and I edited.

Oh, also, I act in this one.

SCINTILLATE:
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:36 pm

And yet another of Jenn's projects. She was writer and director, I was dp and editor.

This one is kind of an oddity. Jenn wrote it strictly as a little character study, not really trying to push much of a plot. When we screened the fine cut for our class, a lot of people just couldn't get their heads around what we were doing. So, before we locked it, we decided to add a sarcastic laugh track, and do some pick-up shots and re-cutting to turn the ending into a kind of an avant-garde nightmare (she gave me complete free reign on re-cutting the ending, and I had a blast). We weren't really expecting the class to "get it" at that point; if anything, we were kind of trolling them. However, we ended up really liking the revised version, and a few people have actually said that they can't imagine it without those elements.

WOK OF LIFE:
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:42 pm

Switching gears a little, Jenn just cut a new cinematography reel for me:

EVAN A. BAKER CINEMATOGRAPHY REEL - MARCH 2018:
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:20 pm

Because of these forums it seems odd seeing you credited as Evan A. Baker instead of E. A. Baker
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:26 pm

^Hahaha! I actually had the same thought!
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:53 pm

And now another project I dp'd, this one for my friend and fellow grad student Goose, back in 2016.

SEANCE:
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:28 pm

Last week I posted Goose Scott's "Seance," which I dp'd. This week, I'm posting the trailer for Goose's thesis film, "A Clean Sleep," which I also shot for him (the full project isn't available on-line, as he's still submitting to festivals).

A CLEAN SLEEP TEASER:
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:50 pm

If I don't come up with some new content, I'm going to have to stop posting in this thread soon (well, I could also start posting really crappy old stuff, I guess).

Anyway, today I'm posting a little doc piece that Jenn and I made for a Portland Animal Aid event, looking at a few families who rescued animals in need.

PET FETE ANIMAL AID STORIES:
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:08 am

Not the kinda thing I usually post in here, but here's a thing I did today:

eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:44 pm

This last weekend we participated in the LA 48 Hour Film Project.

Since it hasn't screened yet, I can't publicly post the movie. I can, however, post the trailer.

SONIC trailer:
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:07 pm

Alright, the 48 Hour Film screenings are over with, so we can now release "Sonic" to the public!

Enjoy!

EDIT: Ugh. I dunno what's up with the "privacy settings" thing, but if you click to watch on Vimeo is plays fine.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Previous

Return to General Discussion