15 Years of Monster Zero!

Talk about anything on your mind!

Moderator: Controllers

15 Years of Monster Zero!

Postby The Gene Lantern » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:43 am

My sincere apologies to all for missing the marking of an important milestone. As of March 2012, Monster Zero in its various incarnations is 15 years old. Many thanks to YOU, the members of the MZ community, for keeping the board alive and thriving. It's an amazing tribute to my wonderful friend Aaron Smith, who left us far too early a bit over 6 years ago. I think Aaron would be proud to see MZ still standing strong after all this time.

The board and its members have been through many ups and downs and changes in the Godzilla and Daikaiju fan communities, and I hope to see many of you in 2017 for the MZ 20th Anniversary. Lets hope by then we are talking about how great the Legendary Pictures Godzilla film was and how great is was to see "Return of Gojira 2015". You never know.... :D
"The universe is big. It’s vast and complicated and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen, and we call them miracles." -The 11th Doctor, The Pandorica Opens
The Gene Lantern
Monster 01

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:52 am

Hooray!

I've been visiting MZ since Aaron was giving us minute by minute coverage of the production of GINO... so pretty much as long as I've had the internet.

And I've been posting on some incarnation of the forums since about 2001 or 2002, I believe.

Let's move forward! It's been a great 15 years and this is still the most friendly and "mature" feeling kaiju forum on the internet and the best forum I've ever had the pleasure of posting on.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby The Gene Lantern » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:35 pm

MouthForWar wrote:Hooray!

I've been visiting MZ since Aaron was giving us minute by minute coverage of the production of GINO... so pretty much as long as I've had the internet.

And I've been posting on some incarnation of the forums since about 2001 or 2002, I believe.

Let's move forward! It's been a great 15 years and this is still the most friendly and "mature" feeling kaiju forum on the internet and the best forum I've ever had the pleasure of posting on.

NICE! I found it a bit later; I first e-mailed Aaron after he re-posted the first pics of the Godzilla 2000 design that was being released bit by bit on the Toho web site...

Seems like a lifetime ago now :)
"The universe is big. It’s vast and complicated and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen, and we call them miracles." -The 11th Doctor, The Pandorica Opens
The Gene Lantern
Monster 01

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:46 pm

i honestly don't remember when i FIRST found Monster Zero, but it had to have been right around the time of the 98 film...because that was also right around when i got the internet and i scoured the web looking for cool Godzilla sites.

MZ and Barry's Temple are the two that I DEFINITELY remember from that time...

but who knows when I first started posting on the forums? i remember joining and lurking, perhaps even under an OLD username that i haven't used for anything since 2001...but i couldn't say for sure...i know i joined the forums when i started to hear rumblings about the various Millenium films and wanted to get every ounce of news i could and the forums seemed like they were being lit up...

but i didn't become a very active poster until maybe 2004...and then i even took like a two-year hiatus at one point due to various factors...

but, for me as G-fan, MZ has ALWAYS been there...I'll be honest, I kinda miss the main site.
used to like going there every once in a while to read the reviews...
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby The Gene Lantern » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:08 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:but, for me as G-fan, MZ has ALWAYS been there...I'll be honest, I kinda miss the main site.
used to like going there every once in a while to read the reviews...

I think we have a pretty awesome replacement in Sci-Fi Japan; TONS of info, news, and reviews to be seen :)

http://www.scifijapan.com/

You know; I wonder if some folks have bookmarked the board URL and missed that MZ is the official Sci-Fi Japan forum now... You guys didn't miss that announcement, right? :lol: There's a link to the board from the Sci-Fi Japan main page.
The Gene Lantern
Monster 01

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:47 pm

oh yeah, i knew about that...

but the reviews on MZ were unique to MZ...SFJ has tons of stuff and I hope everyone knew about the move (I know I certainly did), but the nostalgia factor of the MZ site takes me back to my early days of having the internet...when I used AOL and dial-up and oh the memories...
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:58 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:oh yeah, i knew about that...

but the reviews on MZ were unique to MZ...SFJ has tons of stuff and I hope everyone knew about the move (I know I certainly did), but the nostalgia factor of the MZ site takes me back to my early days of having the internet...when I used AOL and dial-up and oh the memories...

I get that too man. Though to be honest, Scifi Japan is a better news site than MZ was. MZ did have a unique personality though. I like both, but in today's world Scifi Japan makes a little more sense. I'll always miss MZ though.

As far as when I first started visting MZ....I guess around GINO too. Didn't post here for many years but I used to lurk lol.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:06 pm

I'm pretty sure I stumbled upon MZ when we were getting updates on GINO as well. It was in my bookmarks and frequently visited ever since. I lurked the forums for a long time before finally signing up. Aaron was a huge part of why I remained infatuated with Godzilla well past my childhood and to this day.

Here's to another 15 years under the banner of Sci-Fi Japan! :)
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:30 pm

I first started posting in the summer of '00 in anticipation for the G2K release. I was only 12 years old!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Wow. Fifteen years. I've been around since about 2000-2001, if I recall correctly. While I started out posting regularly on several kaiju forums, MZ has always been my "center," and for several years now it's been the only one worth visiting, as far as I'm concerned. Even when we go completely apesh!t and post pages' worth of animated gifs to express our joy, the discussion is so more engaging and mature than on other boards.

Here's to many more years for Monster Zero!
Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:58 am

Tyler E. Martin wrote:Here's to many more years for Monster Zero!

Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:50 pm

I came across MZ during 98', I think one of first things I remember was a post about Mothra 3 and it had shots of the prehistoric set and kaiju.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:57 am

All this is bringing back a lot of memories. I was wondering, is there any way to find the old articles and reviews from MonsterZero.us?
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby metal_bryan » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:06 am

MouthForWar wrote:All this is bringing back a lot of memories. I was wondering, is there any way to find the old articles and reviews from MonsterZero.us?

That would be really cool. I hope somebody was able to back up the site on their computer before it got taken down.
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:48 am

metal_bryan wrote:
MouthForWar wrote:All this is bringing back a lot of memories. I was wondering, is there any way to find the old articles and reviews from MonsterZero.us?

That would be really cool. I hope somebody was able to back up the site on their computer before it got taken down.

Yeah, it'd be great to have some kind of archive. There's a couple reviews/articles that I can even think of that I'd like to revisit, but even Wayback Machine can't help me.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:04 am

MouthForWar wrote:
metal_bryan wrote:

Yeah, it'd be great to have some kind of archive. There's a couple reviews/articles that I can even think of that I'd like to revisit, but even Wayback Machine can't help me.

http://web.archive.org/web/200406110752 ... /index.php
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:53 am

Sweet! That certainly helps with a couple things. Final Wars mania!

Thanks Ben! 8-)
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:06 am

Wow...I almost forgot what the site looked like..
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Joseph Goodman » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:23 am

I first found Aaron's site sometime in the summer of '97... the first scoop of his that I can remember was an image of GINO's eye being held aloft by Volker Engle, with the tail and a bust of the Heisei Godzilla in the background. It was the first real clear look at the new Godzilla that had leaked out... I wonder if anyone still has that image?
Joseph Goodman
Godzilla

Postby Stargodzilla » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:39 am

I know I don't have the post count as everyone else.(Would of been around 2-3k but it got reset at the one move.) But I love this forum! When I first got the internet this was the first forum I joined! I can't wait to see the rebirth of the genre! I remember Being so into Godzilla and other kaiju I would make little old time "radio" broadcast of kaiju attack using Barry's Temple of Godzilla for the kaiju sounds. Even now being in my late twenty's I still have the fire I used to! All thanks to MZ!!
"Hmpph...Hey you...I heard...your kung-fu...is pretty good."-Greatest Movie Qoute Ever!!
Stargodzilla
Godzilla Jr.

Postby KaijuHQ » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:53 am

First found MZ back around the same time I discovered G-Fan magazine and was getting back into Godzilla thanks in part to the internet coming around (this was around 1997). I can't even remember if those were the fandom or cinescape days, probably something even before them. Even had a few PM conversations with Aaron before his untimely passing. Lots of good times on here lurking and posting! :D Here's to another 15 years!
KaijuHQ
Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:18 am

That was before Fandom, methinks.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby monster of dark » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:30 am

I still remember that fateful day seven years ago... I was lost in cyberspace, and as I sidestepped to avoid a heavy stream of data, I found myself standing close to a magical doorway. I open the door and voila, I've been here ever since...
monster of dark
Godzilla Jr.

Return to General Discussion